Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
81 registered (anotherscott, anamnesis, 28 invisible), 1189 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2262999 - 04/17/14 10:01 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: peterws]
chopinoholic Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: peterws
[...]
31 Chopinoholic/Paul de Koning 72 14

Wonderful piano, school hellish (takes me back to my primary school, now demolished . . .) head teacher walking past, me trying to hide behind the pillar . . . Enjoyed this very much. There must`ve been a load o` work gone into it. Beautiful, man.

32 Chopinaholic 72 15

Those runs at 1 50 like Chopion wrote them, beautifully played by yourself. I`m not putting this on my list. No Siree! Love your confidence! Heard ya turning the page . . .
nd.

Thanks Pyotr, for your nice words. The "Chant" is indeed a lot of work..... still ahead smile. I love the piece though, it will stick with me probably.
And that darn page, lol. I wanted to print and tape all the different pages together, so I wouldn't need to turn pages. But I never came around doing that.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2263024 - 04/17/14 10:58 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: chopinoholic]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I meant "School Hall-ish" . . . .my schooldays were great. I won all my fights . . . .

""

#2263071 - 04/17/14 01:23 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: peterws]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Next batch:

Gingko2 -Mama: Very nice dynamic control and pacing. This is a peaceful, loving piece and you do a beautiful job with it.

Earlofmar- Dolly is Ill: What a sad little piece. I really like your expression in this presentation. Very nice.

Richard (zrt90) Album Leaf: This piece has such a light feel, like skipping through a spring meadow. I really enjoyed you take on the piece.

Ajames The Dolls Funeral: Poor Dolly. You gave her a very nice memorial. Very nice pacing and dynamics! Truly an axcellent job for nine months experience!

Timmyab Waltz: What a gentle and beautiful Waltz! Beautiful job on the running passages! They stay light and floating. Really nice presentation.

JfMartins Baba Yaga: This one sounds like quite the finger twister! I like the energy that you give it.

MaryBee- Berceuse: I love the rocking accompaniment and the arpeggiated chords. It sets a peaceful mood, interrupted momentarily by some wind and waves. Very beautiful presentation! It sounds like quite the challenge!

Gandalf- Meditation: This piece has such grandeur, and your playing really does it justice. It sounds complex, but it sounds like you were up to the challenge.

Rupal Bhattacharyo Nocturne: This is a truly beautiful piece. I think you did a lovely job with it. Your presentation was very musical. You paced the piece well.

Gandalf - Quintuple Waltz: A 5/4 waltz! How unusual! It still has a classic waltz feel. You do a lovely job of keeping the energy through it, like whirling dancers. Beautiful playing!

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2263237 - 04/17/14 09:40 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
Some more:

15 patH Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu So much contrast throughout this one, and complexity. Wonderful to hear, although I think most of it went over my head. Begs for repeated listening.

16 Ganddalf Seasons: May Thanks for the great info, now I finally understand the "White Nights" title for this piece. It sounds like plants growing and flowers opening to me. Wonderful playing.

17 Richard (zrtf90) Baba Yaga, Op. 39 I almost picked this one, so I really wanted to hear it played. Your version sounds great.

18 Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott) The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January Interesting take by P.T. on January. Beautiful theme, loved the ending. Really enjoyed your playing.

19 Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott) The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. February Russians going a little stir crazy in the middle of winter? So dynamic, loved listening to this one.

20 Sam S June - Barcarolle - opus 37b/6 Languorous feel, fits with a relaxed summer evening. Very cool job on the ending section. I really enjoyed listening to your version.

21 ginko2 Mama Op. 39 Very sweet piece, you made it sound so flowing and musical. Great job.

22 earlofmar Dolly is Ill, Op. 39 Very tense, you can feel the worry and uncertainty. Good tempo and dynamics, sounded great.

23 Richard (zrtf90) Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3 Like the light-hearted feel and spritely tempo.

24 ajames Op. 39 No. 8. The Doll's Funeral There
you go again, bringing down the quality level on another e-cital...

25 timmyab Waltz op. 40 no. 8 Fantastic playing, really enjoyable to listen to this.

26 jfmartins Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga Great job on this action piece. Very energetic sound.

#2263254 - 04/17/14 10:18 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Performer peterws/pyotr From N England
Piece Op 39 14 FolkSong
Composer Tchaikovsky

A busy little ditty. I like the way Tchaikovsky spaces the chords in the middle and brings in some order. You kept the pace nicely and captured the spirit of the piece perfectly, I think. Kept you on your toes, indeed! And only 38 seconds long. I bet it felt longer!

Performer AZ_Astro
Piece At Church Op. 39 No 23
Composer Tchaikovsky

This was my contribution, recorded on my Kawai KG-5. I was able to play this once on a 9’ Concert D Steinway at the local Steinway Dealer and this simple piece really came to life! A thoughtful and graceful work by Tchaikovsky.

Performer peterws/pyotr
From N england
Piece Impromptu op72 1
Composer Tchaikovsky

An intellectual piece. The A section is jaunty and haunting. Tchaikovsky gives us no rest there. So when the B section arrives, I was more than ready to relieve some tension. Love the phrases that begin in the bass about 30 seconds from the end. Very challenging piece! “…I fell in love with the enigmatic face of the beautiful pianist.” Sigh. We need to see her.

Performer peterws/pyotr
From N England
Piece Peasant`s Prelude Op 39 13
Composer Can`t Remember

I really liked the melody but then Tchaikovsky didn’t develop it further. I thought this piece called for a B section. Did it feel repetitive to you? Thoughtfully played. More vodka, I think [Tchaikovsky, not you]! Nice work.

Performer patH (Patrick Hollstein)
From Germany
Piece Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu
Composer P.I.Tchaikovsky

I’m having some trouble getting my head around this piece. Very chaotic and - impromptu indeed. Then, thankfully, the transition and interlude arrive with some relief. What a challenging piece. I’m impressed that you would select this piece to play; it certainly reflects a maturity in playing and in musicality. Anyway, congrats on tackling this one. A worthy contribution.

Performer Ganddalf
From Norway
Piece Seasons: May
Composer Tchaikovsky

Listening, I can see a snowy landscape through a frosty window. It’s still cold outside. But there is drama and the world is out there, dynamic and awesome. The piece captures the mood elegantly. I am drawn in by the music, and am not even thinking about your playing here. Well done.

Performer Richard (zrtf90)
From Ireland
Piece Baba Yaga
Composer Tchaikovsky

A delightful, strange, and most unusual work. You dug deeply into it. It does sound tricky! But I thought you played admirably and gave it a very genuine and honest interpretation. Another one minute wonder by Tchaikovsky.

Performer Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott)
From western MA, USA
Piece The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January
Composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky surprises with this piece, doesn’t he? I didn’t expect certain chords, or notes, here and there. A glorious transition around 1:30. I liked the overall mood and color of this piece. You captured many of the complexities and I quite enjoyed it.

Performer Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott)
From western MA, USA
Piece The Seasons, Op. 37: 2. February
Composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Moving on to February, are we? Tchaikovsky seems to hit his stride with this piece and it sounds orchestral in its voicing and presentation. Complex and mature. Difficult to pull off on the piano, I’d guess! But you succeed, I think, on many levels. The Steinway works here. Great job.

Performer Sam S
From Georgia, USA
Piece June - Barcarolle - opus 37b/6
Composer Tchaikovsky

Beautiful mood music from the very beginning. I loved the melody, the phrasing, and the pace and it was very easy to ignore the little mistakes because you play through them expertly. I am becoming a big fan of “Russian” music. I don’t exactly know what I mean by that yet but I know it when I hear it! I do know that emotions run deep to the core, as they do in this piece. The Bechstein adds a plaintive voice to the overall music that I quite enjoy. I can see playing this one late at night! Superb interpretation and a lot of fun to listen to. Thanks!

(more later)

Edited by AZ_Astro (04/17/14 10:28 PM)

#2263314 - 04/18/14 02:07 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: AZ_Astro]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Here she is Astro . . .AND the music! Enjoy . . .

""

#2263354 - 04/18/14 05:02 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
PhilzPiano Offline

Loc: UK
Great recital - very enjoyable. I must confess to not being too knowledgeable about Tchaikovsky's music for the piano and this was a very inspirational recital. Well done everyone who played.

#2263435 - 04/18/14 09:43 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
chopinoholic Offline

Next set:
Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu - patH (Patrick Hollstein)
Love the piece. Want to learn it too now. My list lengthens.
The middle section is stoically played, until the anger slowly comes back in the reprise of the main theme.

Seasons: May - Ganddalf
Well played Ganddalf. Love the modesty put in the piece. Thanks for sharing.

Baba Yaga - Richard (zrtf90)
Sounds like a which on the prawl smile. Nice piece!

The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January - Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott)
What a beautiful piece. Listened to it a couple of times with the sheet music in front of me. The arpeggios in the middle section are well played with lots of dynamics. That last e is a bit out of tune though laugh.
I love this. Thank you for joining the recital.

The Seasons, Op. 37: 2. February - Heather W. Reichgott
Well played. Same goes for this piece as I said for January. But I like January more smile

June - Barcarolle - opus 37b/6 - Sam S
Looks like a tricky piece. I think you played the cantabile convincing. Thanks for sharing.

Mama - gingko2
The sound was indeed pretty soft, but no matter because I turned up the volume. smile You can use audacity to crank up the volume of an mp3 file. Just hit effects -> amplify ->"ok" and the magic happens.
Lovely piece and you played it really sensitive. A perfect gift for all the mamas out there.

Dolly Is Ill - earlofmar
Omg the sadness! Well done. Poor Dolly.
Only thing I want to say though is that some of the notes are not all held long enough (for the whole measure). That's a bit picky maybe, but it may add to the already good sounding of the piece.
Thanks for sharing!

#2263471 - 04/18/14 11:08 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: peterws]
AZ_Astro Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws
Here she is Astro . . .AND the music! Enjoy . . .

Ha! Ah, yes. I see the inspiration now. And I heard a lot of your piece in hers. Thanks!

#2263489 - 04/18/14 11:47 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: PhilzPiano]
AZ_Astro Offline

Originally Posted By: PhilzPiano
Great recital - very enjoyable. I must confess to not being too knowledgeable about Tchaikovsky's music for the piano and this was a very inspirational recital. Well done everyone who played.

Before this recital, I didn't even know that Tchaikovsky wrote for the piano! So it was certainly an exploration for me.

#2263511 - 04/18/14 12:31 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
AZ_Astro Offline

Performer gingko2
From Central Massachusetts
Piece Mama

The mp3 recording volume seemed fine. Almost a lullaby, isn’t it? This is a very thoughtful piece with some subtle contrasts that you bring out nicely. A mature rendition. You did a fine job in voicing and pacing. Super!

Performer earlofmar
From Australia
Piece Dolly Is Ill

Very nice! These slow ones look so easy on paper, don’t they? And after you’ve been playing them awhile, the phrasing and dynamics take on a life of their own. I feel like I fought a similar battle with my piece as you did with this. But the glory and drama of this poor sick doll was clearly evident in your playing. Very impressive for 15 months, I’d say! And I thought the Vintage D was outstanding. Well, well done.

Performer Richard (zrtf90)
From Ireland
Piece Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3

What an elegant lilting melody. Uplifting. Discerning. Easy to fall in love with this piece. There are a lot of contrasts and sub-plots. You did a great job with the nuances and I thought your playing was sensitive and steady. Hmmm, yes, I can hear some of the busy-ness of Bach. Great choice and superlative effort.

Performer ajames
From United States
Piece Op. 39 No. 8. The Doll's Funeral

I can’t help it. I have to sing along with this piece. Doleful. Sorrowful. Nice pacing. I hate it when a funeral march has a catchy melody –makes me want to learn it! I’m sorry about the doll but you did a great job honoring her. I learned a lot with my piece, and I bet you learned a lot with this one.

Performer timmyab
From UK
Piece Waltz op. 40 no. 8

It’s lovely! I doubt you struggled with it other than trying to bring it up to speed? You seemed to have little technical difficulty with it and the pacing was just right. Really, I think it’s delightful and a fine effort on your part. Very competent work of musicianship. Tchaikovsky surprises me again.

Performer jfmartins
Piece Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga

That witch is back again? The little sneak! She seems even more brazen this time and, maybe even a little dainty. I wonder what spells she is capable of? Very enthusiastic and mature rendition. A super job and very easy to appreciate and enjoy.

Performer MaryBee
From Cleveland, OH
Piece Berceuse, Op. 72, No. 2

Oh my, what a nice piece. I love how it begins. So moving and evocative. I think your Charles Walter acoustic plays a nice supporting role here, giving the piece an added dimension. I love the chord adaptations of the main melody. Nice arpegiated chords in the middle; they sound tough to pull off! They have a nice airy effect. I haven’t heard any other recordings of this before so your tempo sounds just right! You’re right – it’s beautiful. Very sensitive interpretation. Delightful! Thanks! Need to add this to my “to learn” list!

Performer Ganddalf
From Norway
Piece Meditation (Op. 72 no.5)

The word that comes to mind when I hear this for the first time is: “sophisticated.” Sounds like a bear to memorize, yet playable from the score? (Not me of course, still a junior sight reader here!) Ganddalf, of course, is no beginner and the playing highlights a mature piano background. Thanks for taking on the challenge and bringing it to us to hear. Tough trill! A supreme effort and very thoughtful.

Performer Rupak Bhattacharya
From India
Piece Op. 19, No. 4 - Nocturne

This is the first time I’ve heard this piece, and I am not feeling any of your concerns. I hear a confident rendition of a most compelling and beautiful work. Two years!? Gahh – you’re amazing! Great timing and nice sensitivity. It surprising that you would choose this thoughtful piece. How did you stumble upon it? Thanks for polishing it up for us. And another successful Vintage D recording! Keep up the outstanding work. I think you’re headed for a wonderful journey with the piano.

Performer Ganddalf
From Norway
Piece Quintuple waltz (op.72 no.16)

Hmmm, a pentagonal waltz. Works for me, I guess. (If you were dancing, it would be a five-step instead of a three-step?). The melody sounds quirky but how much of that is because we’re not used to this meter? I’m going to have to listen to this one a few times! Great job with this challenging piece.

Edited by AZ_Astro (04/18/14 03:46 PM)

#2263579 - 04/18/14 02:49 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
This is enjoyable. Here's a couple of comments to start with:

1. SwissMS/Doris - Song of the Lark I like the care and thoughtfulness with which you play - so unlike me laugh The result is such musicality and gracefulness - very nice.

2. sinophilia (Diana)- Italian Song Another one with great care and preciseness. This tune just trips along - fun.

3. Andy Platt - Autumn Song A lovely start, and it follows thru the piece. Wonderful for listening, especially calming on this day that I'm working for a difficult client :\

7. peterws/pyotr - Polka I used to go to the Wild Asparagus Ball, a costume party, with music by the Mostly Strauss Orchestra. This would have fit right in with their polkas. Lively and delicate. Not like the polkas in ski boots at the Rathskeller laugh

8. Richard (zrtf90) - German Song This sometimes had a mazurka feel, at the beginning, or a menuet feel, the second part. At any rate it made me imagine dancing, which is the highest compliment I can give. I liked it a lot.

I'll listen to more as I go along today, trying to deal with this trying time laugh

Cathy

#2263695 - 04/18/14 06:00 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
AZ_Astro Offline

Performer Paul de Koning (chopinoholic)
From The Netherlands
Piece Chant elegiaque Opus 72 No.14

It seems like there should be a story that goes along with this one. There is an extravagance to it. One thing is for sure – you put a lot of work into it! It seems to be in a fairly simple AABA format and I liked the B section. Very sweet ending. Nice!

Performer Paul de Koning (chopinoholic)
From The Netherlands
Piece Un poco di Chopin Opus 72 No.15

This piece has some character to it. Very interesting choice of yours. The song has a flowing and melodic character that you handle easily. Some nice phrasing in the middle! I thought you did a great job interpreting the piece and bringing it off as a performance. Great job!

Performer jamie_vt
From United Kingdom
Piece Op. 39 No. 5. The Toy Soldiers' March

It sounds like you had a lot of fun with this piece. There were some parts that you played with great confidence and they really spoke nicely. A fine effort!

Performer Morodiene
Piece Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 1: Ruins de Chateau

The brooding bass chords, perfectly timed, drew me in immediately and I couldn’t leave after that. The piece really speaks musically. I love the chords at 1:00 and the slow crescendo just kind of creeps up on you. Great dynamics. The Petrof shines! Tchaikovsky’s work is a gem, and I thought you took full advantage. The pause at 3:45 is very effective. What a powerful movement! Stellar!

Performer Morodiene
Piece Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 3 Chants sans parole

This one sings from the start and provides some nice closure to the 1st and 2nd movements. A pleasing performance. Thank you for taking these on and bringing some elegant playing to the recital.

Performer Morodiene
Piece Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 2: Scherzo

Okay, on to the scherzo. After the drama of the first movement, something light-hearted is needed! Yet it’s still a technically advanced piece, and seems to tell a story too.
Whew – I’ve listened to the scherzo twice now and it has enough complexity to it that I’m not sure how I feel about it! It’s no little joke, that’s for sure. But it is a light-hearted story with a happy ending. Challenging! Great job.

Performer MrPozor
From France
Piece Mazurka
I didn’t mind the splices, they were hardly noticeable. This piece caught my attention at the start so I was happy to see someone pick it up. It does sound challenging. Yet moody and fun. You did a good job catching the character of the piece. A solid effort!

Performer carlos88
From Colorado
Piece Opus 37, No. 12 December: Christmas

You play with a joyful abandon and the piece moves along briskly. It’s an elegant interpretation. It’s pleasant to listen to and a welcome addition to your repertoire, I hope! I heard Oreo at 2:22 and thought it was my cat outside my window where she likes to perch. Had to go look! Enjoyed the waltz.

Performer ClsscLib
From Northern Virginia, USA
Piece The New Doll Op 39 no 6

What an odd little piece. Interesting syncopation and clever. Probably a lot of work for 49 seconds. But you carried it off nicely and I enjoyed listening to it. Great job!

#2263781 - 04/18/14 08:39 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

And a few more:

9. Greener/Jeff - Chanson Triste You definitely got that Russian feeling right off the bat. Very nice. I liked the way you brought out the bass line, which has a nice melodic feel of its own several times.

12. AZ-Astro - At Church Very much "at church" - for a minute I thought it was Bach. Played with the reverent feel it needs. The pedal tone in the bass was really well-controlled.

20. Sam S - Barcarolle You're right, a sad sound. And if I'd been playing that tricky rhythm with the off beats in the RH it would have been even sadder. Well done. Cool rolling chords and fade out at the end.

22. earlofmar - Dolly is Ill I could see the frown on the child's face about poor Dolly. Played evocatively.

27. MaryBee - Berceuse The quietness of it was entrancing. A perfect way to wind up my work day and transition from exasperation to relaxation.

Cathy

#2263848 - 04/18/14 09:55 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
PikaPianist, the waltz in F# is wonderful. Such panache. I've listened a few times smile

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my Seasons recordings. I had learned some of the other months previously but used this recital as a worthy excuse to pick up Jan and Feb. I think January is musically my favorite of the ones I've played, mix of "warm" and "cold" sections. February is indeed not easy but oddly it's the slower section that I found more difficult to get under my fingers.
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2263978 - 04/19/14 08:58 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Quintuple waltz (op.72 no.16) - Ganddalf:
I have no idea if Tchai intended any dancers to try this, but the quirky 5/4 time is interesting - I'd think that 3rd "beat" would have to be a quick one! You did a fine job in bringing out the melody very clearly throughout. Maybe work with some contrast in the accompaniment so that it really stays in the background rather than interrupting the melody. Sounded like a tricky little piece, but you handled it well!

Chant elegiaque Opus 72 No.14 - Paul de Koning (chopinoholic):
I love the sonority of your Pleyel - so rich! It does these rich low chords justice. The passion that you play with certainly gives it the forward drive in that middle section, very nice! You give it a very "elegaic" quality. The ending is very orchestral/concerto-like, now I know why you chose this.

Un poco di Chopin Opus 72 No.15 - Paul de Koning (chopinoholic):
Having only recently attempted my first Mazurkas, I can relate to the difficulty of playing these. There is actually a Mazurka in the theme and variations movement of the Tchai trio I'm working on, so he must have had some affinity to this little dance. So do you, it seems. Beautiful playing of the chromatic fast notes - I cannot believe this is after 3 months of lesson following a 17 year hiatus! Great playing.

Op. 39 No. 5. The Toy Soldiers' March - jamie_vt:
I appreciate your attention to the articulations - very crisp staccato just as one would imagine a toy soldier to be. Nicely done!

Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2:
I'm glad I was exposed to this piece. I've learned a lot about a composer that was sorely neglected in my studies in favor of more common ones. I always considered him more of an orchestral composer (despite the famous piano concerto). Now I have an appreciation for what he contributed to the solo piano repertoire, and so much more to discover after hearing all of these submissions!

Mazurka - MrPozor:
Another Mazurka! You give this a real dance-like quality, with that leap one beat one and landing for beat 2. I don't even know what a Mazurka looks like, but that it how it sounds from your playing. Well done!

Opus 37, No. 12 December: Christmas - carlos88:
Well, we all know how Tchai felt about Christmastime from his Nutcracker quite, and this piece for the month of December to me sounds like the excitement coming up to opening the gifts and discovering the Nutcracker under the tree. Masterful playing of this waltz-like piece. Haha, I heard Oreo and thought it was one of my cats or one outside! Of course, she had to make her debut at the quiet moment. Much better to be showcased as is her due.

The New Doll Op 39 no 6 - ClsscLib:
Ah, the prequel to Doll is ill and Doll's Funeral. We get to hear her when she's brand new and not all banged up from little Sally's relentless abuse of her. It sounds like a very joyous occasion. You played this little piece very well in spite of the "red dot".

As for the recording, some suggestions: it sounded as though the unit was too close to the piano. Was it on it? If so, you may want to set it on a nearby table. Also, play around the with recording volume. It's better to record low and adjust the volume higher on Audacity after the fact. With a few minor tweaks like this, you'll find what works and then next time it will be a snap to set up.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2264034 - 04/19/14 11:02 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Morodiene]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Chopinoholic Chant elegiaque Opus 72 No.14: This piece has a sense of grandeur. I really like your expression in the middle section! There is so much going on there, it would be easy for it to lose direction, but you do a beautiful job with it. Love those arpeggios, especially the huge one near the end. Wonderful playing!

Chopinoholic Un poco di Chopin: This is very much Mazurka like. I like the spicy feeling that you give it. Those are some impressive runs!

Jamie_vt The Toy Soldier: I like your nice crisp playing, with a sense of playfulness. Sounds like a fun piece!

Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal op 2 1: This is to a vacation spot? It opens with a brooding feeling, and then abruptly changes mood to joyfulness in the middle only to brood again. You present this beautifully in your playing. It took me through the contrasting emotions. Very nice!

Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal op 2 3. This one sings with feeling, and makes a nice closure to the other two pieces. It sounds like quite the undertaking to do all three of these. Truly a beautiful performance!

Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal op 2 2. This contrasts dramatically with the first piece. It reminds of riders on the hunt after the fox. It has a sense of elegance. Gorgeous playing.

MrPozor Mazurka: This one has a definite Russian character to it. Nice accenting on the up and down slurs! I can see the leaping dancers! I am impressed by your description of the recording process. It sounds pretty seamless!

Carlos88 December: Very nice playing of this festive piece. It has a sense of excitement of the season with upcoming parties and fellowship. It sound like quite a challenge, and you did a beautiful job with it.

ClsscLib The New Doll: This sounds like such a happy piece, to be followed by Sick and Funeral. It is good to know that Doll was once a happy girl. You played this joyous little piece very well!

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2264044 - 04/19/14 11:26 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Sorry for the dumb Q-- I'm new to recording - but what is Audacity and what does it do for us in recordings? I hope it's intuitive. I find neither piano nor software to be very forgiving to the elderly mind (mine, anyway).

Morodiene, I did have the Edirol recorder resting on the piano and loaded the file to iTunes and from there sent it to Greener. No tweaking. Besides having no knowledge of how to do it, I was out of time.

Many thanks for the encouraging comments! Looking forward to trying this again.

Edited by ClsscLib (04/19/14 11:26 AM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2264080 - 04/19/14 01:05 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
chopinoholic Offline

Thanks for the comments!
Morodiene, I actually had only one lesson 3 months ago. Will have my next coming Friday. In those 17 years I kept on playing, but it was basically always the same stuff I've already played all those years ago. No new pieces.
Since I bought the Pleyel almost a year ago, the fire started to burn again. So I thought let's do a really hard piece and see what becomes of it. It is actually ridiculous that I started learning again with such a hard piece, but it's not going that bad actually. Maybe something for the quarterly recital?
Now I have so much fun playing with you guys, learning new repertoire, hearing others play, and having (hopefully a bit more frequent) lessons. I feel great!

#2264081 - 04/19/14 01:05 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Here's my morning visitation to the recital room:

33. jamie_vt - Toy Soldiers March This was great! The accents gave just the right air of toy soldiers on parade. Well done.

34. Morodiene - Ruins de Chateau Wow! The contrast between the quiet and the bombast was startling! But I liked this piece, and loved the way you played it. The final quiet chord was perfect.

38. carlos88 -Christmas This was a perfect Christmas waltz - gas lights, candy canes, children watching from the stairs. Very nice.

39. ClsscLib - The New Doll I guess the new doll was a dancer. Perhaps the doll and the human pirouetted together. I liked the tempo on this - lively, but not frantic, always under control. And congratulations on your first recording.

Cathy

#2264085 - 04/19/14 01:13 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Just stopped by to congratulate everyone on another fabulous PW recital. I've been super busy lately but I'm listening when I get the chance.

#2264133 - 04/19/14 03:38 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark (SwissMS/Doris) - You've kept the grace notes light and easy, nicely evoking the image of a bird singing.

Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song (sinophilia) - This is one of the few Tchaikovsky piano piece that I knew of before this recital, so it was fun to hear it again. You give it a playful feeling.

Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song (Andy Platt) - I can tell you love this piece; I think it is one of your strongest recital performances yet. So expressive, and such lovely phrasing!

Romance Op.5 (Ganddalf) - What a beautiful piece, and your playing is lovely. The mood change in the middle section was surprising and amusing.

Old French Song. Op 39 No 16. (Recaredo) - You play this so smoothly and fluently. I like the left hand harmony in this piece, so I appreciate that you give it just the right balance between the hands.

Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9 (PikaPianist) - This is the first time I've heard this piece, and I love it! Great ending. Now I have to go listen to a slow version to see how it compares to your interpretation.

OP 39 10 Polka (peterws) - LOL. That video was pretty funky, with your hands changing colors. It fits the music - very fun.

German Song (zrtf90) - So charming!

Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2 (Greener) - I enjoyed your playing. You convey the melancholy tone very well, yet don't let it sink too deep. Thank you for being our host for this recital! I truly appreciate the opportunity to get to know another composer.

Morning Song (zrtf90) - So nicely played. I hear a lot of hope in this piece.

Op 39 14 FolkSong (peterws) - Very nice! I really like the change in dynamics on the repeated phrases -- it adds a lot of interest.

#2264449 - 04/20/14 01:56 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: ClsscLib]
chopinoholic Offline

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
Sorry for the dumb Q-- I'm new to recording - but what is Audacity and what does it do for us in recordings? I hope it's intuitive. I find neither piano nor software to be very forgiving to the elderly mind (mine, anyway).

Morodiene, I did have the Edirol recorder resting on the piano and loaded the file to iTunes and from there sent it to Greener. No tweaking. Besides having no knowledge of how to do it, I was out of time.

Many thanks for the encouraging comments! Looking forward to trying this again.

Hi ClsscLib, You can download Audacity here. It's a program with which you edit recordings ( mp3, wav, etc.). You can amplify recordings you made, cut out pieces (like trimming the beginning and end), and lots of other stuff.
It is quite easy to use.

#2264526 - 04/20/14 10:58 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Happy Easter!

It is difficult for me to explain how much fun I have had contributing to the organization of this recital.

Of course I know I have a propensity to overdo things. Did you like the signature?

Thank you Chris (Whizbang) for this fabulous flare idea.

I actually thought I did a good job of controlling myself for this recital. I had bigger plans … believe me smile .

Thank you all for listening and a special thanks to those providing comments and feedback on my submission. Your kind comments and encouragement, make me want to play better.

What a group of class acts brought together for this recital. Even the stapled and stitched presentations didn't notice on the front end. Rather, a constant steady improvement every time I hear you. And great to see the new folks. I hope to see you in many more to come. Really great job everyone.

For this recital I've decided to comment on all the odd # submissions. I was in the February Quarterly recital, the Joplin, this one of course and will be in the May recital. I can not offer much in the way of constructive critique, accept in a general sense but I have very much enjoyed listening to ALL submissions and congratulations on these fine performances. If I miss you on this round, please do not feel neglected. There is a 50% chance I will get you next time smile.

1) SwissMS/Doris
Thanks for jumping right up on stage with this show opener, Doris. Nicely played. Your enjoyment of this piece shows. It seems to me now, after knowing a bit more about the man, that Tchaikovsky did not lead a particularly happy life. Knowing this, sets me up emotionally for performance. Your performance here brings out the feel I would be striving to achieve. Great job.

3) Andy Platt
This is very good Andy. A beautiful piece indeed that I was not familiar with. I can see why you like it so much. You've taken great care in shaping this. Around the 2:15 and 3:00 marks are just gorgeous. Excellent.

5) Recaredo / Ricardo
Nice choice with this one. Yes, I very much enjoyed listening. My only suggest would be to dig in to those low base notes a bit more. But that is just since I got mention of this last time and am more sensitive to it. Otherwise, good to go. Nice job.

7) peterws/pyotr
You must be an incredibly good reader to take on this many pieces for one recital. At one point as submissions were coming in, I believe you, Richard and Ganddalf made up nearly half the roster. I wish I could come close to this pace of learning new pieces … working on that. Really fine playing and nice choice with this very cute piece.

9) Greener / Jeff
Clean up the bridge and clean up the close (to the score and solid chords.) Otherwise, good to go.

11) peterws/pyotr

Oh my, it is Peter again. This has the same feel as the last one. Light bouncy and happy is what I get from this. Love the brief hesitation on the close. Really good.

13) peterws/pyotr
Can see that this one may beg a little bit more work, but we know it is in the bag with a bit more time. I think it will be worth it. Its a great piece and not far off.

15) patH (Patrick Hollstein)
Wow, is your left hand recovered? A lot going on with the left hand in this, it seems to me. Clearly among the more challenging works to choose. Commendable job you've done here and excellent playing, Pat. Thank you for sharing.

17) Richard (zrtf90)
I would have to say “Morning Prayer” was my favorite among all of your entries here, Richard. All of them though, played with precision and care that shines through. A very cute choice with this one. Similar to a comment I made earlier ... I long to be able read at performance tempo. I'm very motivated to keep working on it, from results like this. Fine playing.

19) Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott)
Before even looking at your profile, the opening bar tells me we are dealing with a seasoned performer with this, Heather. This was a lot of work I bet. Clearly not insurmountable for you. For listening, my preference was toward the 1st movement over the 2nd. But, that is my beef for Pyotr. Fine playing and excellent job.

21) gingko2
Beautiful piece this is. As you mention, I think the discipline of preparing for and recording for these recitals, is the greatest thing since sliced bread for improving. This is very pleasant listen. Great job.

More to come …

#2264866 - 04/21/14 08:22 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Thank you very much Paul, Morodiene, Doris, Ajames, Sam, Pyotr, AZ Astro, May Bee and Jeff for your kind comments. They all are extremely appreciated.

I also wanted to thank all my mates in this recital, for making it possible. Three years ago I wouldn’t have believed that I could participate in a Tchaikovsky recital among such talented pianists. Once more I’m very impressed by the high level of this community, speaking of both technique and musicality. Taking part in these work teams is very inspirational to me, and encourages me to keep on practising.

My best wishes to you all.

My website

#2264939 - 04/21/14 12:11 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I was away all last week so I'm just starting to listen. Such a wonderful theme!

SwissMS/Doris: Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark What a beautiful start to the recital. I really enjoyed the voicing in this, passing between the hands and the way the accompaniment was present but always quieter. Although the dynamic range is (correctly) limited, you make use of the range really well. Beautiful.

sinophilia (Diana): Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song It was over before I could start collecting my thoughts! I loved this, very jaunty, great moody, nice phrasing. Repeat it four times next time wink

Andy Platt: Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song I like my performance. My teacher says I'm my own worst critic but, in this case, she is more critical! This is what (roughly) she had to say: "It is very nice! Good job!! However your piano is a bit too bright! Maybe the recording from (here she names someone from the studio who hosted a workshop for us) would have been better. I think I liked it a bit more. Your piano doesn't give you justice concerning the phrasing. Also--your tempo was a bit too....free Don't forget we only need one tempo"

Ganddalf: Romance Op.5 You have a wonderful way of making a performance sound so natural, so perfect, it's incredible. I loved the subtle interaction between the hands - the phrasing was nicely done and the melody always clear. Great control of dynamics and tempo, particularly in the transition in the middle of the piece.

Recaredo / Ricardo: Old French Song. Op 39 No 16. There is a great sense of melancholy to this piece, it is very nicely phrased. These short pieces have so much in them and you brought that out very well!

Kawai K3

#2265169 - 04/22/14 03:10 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark: SwissMS/Doris

Beautiful piece! I was a bit surprised by the sad mood of it because in our tradition the lark is a symbol of joy. I appreciate your sensitive and nuanced playing. The contrast between staccato and legato was great. And I couldn’t hear that you had any problems with the rhythm.

Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song: sinophilia (Diana)

What a fun and enjoyable piece to listen to! You play with humor and elegance and manage to make it sound “Italian”. I’m no expert when comes to technique, but looking at the video I get the impression that you have a very efficient way of playing. I can see no unnecessary movements or waste of energy at all. You are definitely capable of greater challenges.

Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song: Andy Platt

This piece appears in one album of Tchaikovsky piece of mine. And, yes, I have played through it. But I didn’t realize what a beautiful piece it is before I listened to your performance. I love the delicacy in your playing as well as the dynamics. I also was the owner of a Kawai K3 some years ago, but I never was able to make it sound as beautifully as you do. I’m really impressed.

Old French Song. Op 39 No 16. : Recaredo / Ricardo

Such a beautiful, sad melody! I really enjoyed listening to your performance. You managed to bring out both the “soprano” melodic line as well as the melodies of the accompaniment. Thanks for sharing!

Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9: PikaPianist

Another example of a great composition completely unknown to me! You performance of this valse-scherzo sounds flawless. Such an agility and elegance of your playing! Clearly your choice of tempo and character (as you say – detached and agitated) suits the piece very well. Just superb!

OP 39 10 Polka: peterws/pyotr

Very charming piece and very convincingly played. You play with great lightness and elegance and I assume that you have given the piece the character intended by the composer. I enjoyed your performance very much.

#2265175 - 04/22/14 04:37 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
German Song: Richard (zrtf90)

You absolutely succeeded in giving this charming piece the right character. Your performance brings forth images of people enjoying themselves and a brass band playing. Maybe a festival like the “Oktoberfest”? It was very enjoyable listening to it.

Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2: Greener / Jeff

So characteristic a Tchaikovsky piece! I love the beautiful harmonies you bring out with your Heintzman and your rendition of the melodic line. The coda makes me think about a motive in the 7th symphony of Prokofieff who clearly was inspired by Tchaikovsky’s works. I think your interpretation was great.

Morning Prayer: Richard (zrtf90)

This short piece is full of beautiful harmonies, and I can hear from your performance how fond you are of the music. You definitely succeeded in saying what you wanted through your playing. I really like this piece.

Op 39 14 FolkSong: peterws/pyotr

Very effective short composition with lots of folkloristic character! It was very enjoyable to listen to your performance. Particularly I liked the rhythmic finesse and the clear way you made it out.

At Church Op. 39 No 23: AZ_Astro

The harmonies and melodies of this piece make me think about music (always vocal) I have heard in Russian churches. You have captured the right mood and play with the expression and dynamics needed for this piece.

Impromptu op 72 1: peterws/pyotr

The pieces of Op.72 are all technically demanding (I realized this myself – a bit too late, perhaps). The impromptu is so very typical Tchaikovsky, and I think you did a really good job with it. I can’t spot any joints but really enjoyed listening. Particularly I liked the middle part. Very beautiful music!

#2265205 - 04/22/14 08:00 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
chopinoholic Offline

Next!

Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3 - Richard (zrtf90)
Well played. You hold the beat nicely throughout the piece. It's a really nice piece to play, I'd guess. Very timid atmosphere.

Op. 39 No. 8. The Doll's Funeral - ajames
I like the buildup to the sforzando in the middle and you play the left triad's not to heavy. Well done!

Waltz op. 40 no. 8 - timmyab
Lovely light touch. Which is needed for this piece. Love the "voorslag" (don't know the English word for it. The little notes I mean) notes you played. And the "odd" syncopation in the middle section you played very nice.
Did I say you have a nice touch?

Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga - jfmartins
Nice to hear the witch again. Thanks for the cheerful witch which is laughing her pants off. smile

Berceuse, Op. 72, No. 2 - MaryBee
Gorgeous piece. I want to learn this too, to play for my daughters.
You played the 3 against 2 section lovely. It sounds like an echo. Thanks for choosing this piece!

Meditation (Op. 72 no.5) - Ganddalf
I think the biggest surprise of this recitel is (to me anyway) the entire opus 72. All pieces are so nice! I might start with op.72 no.1 and work my way through the book. There's a lot that can be learned.
This piece sounds daunting. It needs to be played with confidence and I think you did a really good job. The multiple voices are brought to attention without forcing them. Thanks for sharing.

Op. 19, No. 4 - Nocturne - Rupak Bhattacharya
First of all. The comments you made are not necessary at all. Never apologize for your playing again. I think you did a great job with this hard piece. The rubato in the beginning sounded really natural which is pretty hard to accomplish IMO.
For two years self teaching, you can be proud of yourself. Don't forget that! (preaching mode off)

#2265215 - 04/22/14 08:23 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
PikaPianist: Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9 A wonderful performance of this very Chopinesque piece. I think your tempo choice was great - since you were in very good control. There is lovely phrasing and some subtle, but pointed rubato. I loved the transition to the middle section. A great change of mood.

peterws/pyotr: OP 39 10 Polka I think you've really captured the feel of this Polka extremely well. It positively drips with energy and vitality, nice phrasing and good control.

Richard (zrtf90): German Song A little miniature, delightfully played.

Greener / Jeff: Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2 A sad, but hopeful song perhaps - at least, that's the feeling you bring to the piece. You phrase the melody very nicely, particularly at the end of the sections. Very nice but watch the recording level because it clipped a teeny bit.

Richard (zrtf90): Morning Prayer Like some others, when this piece became available again I toyed with taking it on. Never did anything more than read it through but you show there are great depths to this very simple piece. Beautiful, nice tempo, great phrasing and a wonderful finish!

Kawai K3

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160032 Topics
2350091 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission