Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2272952 - 05/08/14 06:36 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
May 7th was Tchaikovsky's birthday. We missed it!

Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2272992 - 05/08/14 09:03 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Morodiene]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
May 7th was Tchaikovsky's birthday. We missed it!

Nice Tchai, but personally a found it a little Pathetique.

Kawai K3

#2273855 - 05/11/14 03:58 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
lol...Good one Andy!

Here is my last batch of comments - I've had a lovely start to my Sunday morning thanks to these performers!

30. Ganddalf - Quintuple Waltz ..That does sound like a tricky rhythm pattern. It is a bright cheery piece of music, and you've certainly played it with energy and spirit! A very pleasant way to start off today's listening session!

31. Paul de Koning (chopinoholic) Chant elegiaque Opus 72 No.14 I loved this music. Very evocative, and beautifully played. There is a wonderful uplifting feel to this music which you've brought out really nicely. I particularly liked the rippling passages and the dramatic middle section. You say you struggled to play it, but this is not obvious - you played very smoothly and dynamically -I did enjoy listening!

32. Paul de Koning (chopinoholic) Un poco di Chopin Opus 72 No.15, -An interesting mazurka. There's a very clear Russian sound to it, and a charming delicacy. I believe it is hard to play, but again, it seems to flow off your fingers beautifully! Well done!

33. jamie_vtOp. 39 No. 5. The Toy Soldiers' March. I think there are a lot of pieces in this recital that - on the surface- seem really simple, but ...they aren't! I think this is a sweet piece, and your toy soldiers marched very crisply and credibly! I enjoyed listening!

34. Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 1: Ruins de Chateau - this is a hauntingly beautiful piece of music in the first part- and then the wild horsemen arrive - it seems they have a battle and then we return to the haunting theme- the crumbling castle glimpsed through the mists - played with great feeling. Quite thrilling to hear!

35. Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 3 Chants sans parole. I don't know who started the tradition of songs without words, but they are a charming concept and this one is no exception. From what I've heard of Mendelssohn, this could well have been a tribute - charmingly played!

36. Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 2: Scherzo. I just learned my first Scherzo recently and it was great fun to finally get it under my fingers. I say that to lead into my idea that you seem to have had fun with this bright, lively piece and you've really caught the spirit of the "scherzo"! Most enjoyable.

37. MrPozor Mazurka This is a very pretty dance, and nicely played. Personally I don't think I could have done 10-20 takes of five sections...:) I think that for your own sanity you may want to come to terms with the idea that few performances are note perfect ! Nicely played - It might be nice to hear it again when you can play it in one sitting!

38. carlos88 Opus 37, No. 12 December: Christmas. I can see a set of Waltzers enjoying a swirling Vienese waltz to your playing - this was just delightful to hear! (I didn't hear the cat....)

39. ClsscLib The New Doll Op 39 no 6 - congrats on getting your first recording under your belt! This New Doll seems to be enjoying her new home very much! Nicely done!

What a great recital!
My compliments and thanks to all who took the time to learn these wonderful pieces and share them with us - it has been a musical feast indeed!

#2276630 - 05/15/14 06:44 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
jamie_vt Offline

Loc: Hampshire, UK
I keep thinking that I will get the time to sit down and comment on all the pieces but it just doesn't happen so I just want to quickly say that I really enjoyed listening to all the pieces and thank you all for the kind comments about mine.

#2276659 - 05/15/14 07:41 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
ajames Online   content

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
I also want to thank everyone for the comments. All-in-all, a very positive and encouraging experience. I've even started working on another Op. 39 piece, Old French Melody, and it's really coming along. Maybe I'll post a recording to the Piano Bar...

#2278634 - 05/19/14 11:29 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I am so far behind on everything, but I finally had a chance to sit down tonight and listen to the rest of the Tchaikovsky recital. Great job, everyone. I loved hearing all the different types of music that he wrote.

Album Leaf, Op. 19 No 3 (zrtf90) - I like the folk-song feel you give this, with a little bit of nice bounce. If you go to all that trouble to manually mark, copy, cut, and paste the score, I wonder if you might find it easier to just transcribe it into music notation software such as MuseScore.

The Doll's Funeral, Op. 39, No. 8 (ajames) - Oh, that's interesting. This reminds me so much of Chopin's Funeral March. Appropriately dark and lachrymose.

Waltz op. 40 no. 8 (timmyab) - I like this one! After that doll's funeral, I needed to hear something sweet and uplifting. So nicely played.

Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga (jfmartins) - This just makes me laugh. It is so evocative of the title character. You did a wonderful job with this.

Meditation (Op. 72 no.5) (Ganddalf) - Ganddalf, I was looking forward to hearing this one, and you didn't disappoint. I wanted to learn it for this recital, but it was too much of a stretch for me! You play it with such romantic sentimentality; just perfect. Wow on those ending trills!

Op. 19, No. 4 - Nocturne (Rupak Bhattacharya) - I very much enjoyed hearing your performance here. The music is beautiful, and you play it so sensitively; very touching.

Quintuple waltz (op.72 no.16) (Ganddalf) - 5/4 time signature sure is unusual. That in itself had to present something of a challenge. It makes for an interesting sounding piece. Thanks for taking on the challenge!

Chant elegiaque Opus 72 No.14 (chopinoholic) - Another beautiful piece from Opus 72. Tchaikovsky has some real gems here, doesn't he? Your excellent playing really brings out all the changing moods in this piece.

Un poco di Chopin Opus 72 No.15 (chopinholic) - This is pretty lively. And whew! -- there are some amazing runs in there that sound near impossible. Great job.

Op. 39 No. 5. The Toy Soldiers' March (jamie_vt) - Charming! I can feel the march beat, but it has the lightness of a child's viewpoint.

Souvenir de Hapsal, Op. 2, No.1-3 (Morodiene) - This was an ambitious project, but you pulled it off with great style. The castle ruins sound dark and ominous, except of course for that boisterous middle section! The scherzo is lively and great fun. The songs without words is just simply lovely. Altogether, super impressive and a wonderful performance. Thanks for playing this set for us.

Mazurka (MrPozor) - I'm glad you were able to put together a submission for this recital. It sounds like it's coming along very well. Developing the concentration for playing longer pieces takes some time, but it will come with practice.

Opus 37, No. 12 December: Christmas (carlos88) - Excellent dance feel! I love all the movement in this piece. haha -- I heard Oreo!

The New Doll Op 39 no 6 (ClsscLib) - Very nice. You do a good job bringing out the melody. This piece seems to have a more modern bent to it than some of his other pieces, doesn't it?

#2278638 - 05/19/14 11:42 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Thank you to Morodiene, peterws, SwissMS, AZ_Astro, jotur, chopinoholic, Greener, Sam S, Ganddalf, ajames, hreichgott, and casinitaly for listening to my piece and for your kind comments.

It makes me happy to know that several people fell in love with "Berceuse" after hearing it here and are now inspired to play it. It's easy to love; I felt the same way when I heard it for the first time. Maybe we'll hear some other performances of it and other Tchaikovsky pieces in upcoming ABF recitals.

Thanks, everyone, for a great recital.

#2278652 - 05/20/14 12:51 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Just listened to your Berceuse again tonight after reading your post. Loved it!

#2310935 - 08/04/14 10:14 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Morodiene Offline

So I haven't seen any discussions come up about the next Themed Recital. I know on PC there's the Suites one, but I really enjoy these that are surrounding one composer - perhaps one that I haven't had a chance to explore too much.

So any thoughts? Anyone interested in starting a new one, and which composer will it be?

#2310938 - 08/04/14 10:24 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Schumann!!!!

#2310948 - 08/04/14 10:59 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Morodiene]
Greener Online   content

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
So I haven't seen any discussions come up about the next Themed Recital. I know on PC there's the Suites one, but I really enjoy these that are surrounding one composer - perhaps one that I haven't had a chance to explore too much.

So any thoughts? Anyone interested in starting a new one, and which composer will it be?

There has been plenty of interest and some discussion about it, but no consensus arrived at. We had talked about moving towards the 20th century and various genres discussed, including POP (Beatles or other) Standards/show tunes (Gershwin or other) and the like. The trouble was with adequate choice, interest, and/or limited, or no availability of non-copyrighted material. Each time, the discussion faded away. But, I agree that now (or by September) would be a good time to pick a winner for next March 15th, 2015 recital date.

There is such a broad array of preferences, seems to be part of the challenge too. Why not hit some composers we know many people like to play, with plenty of non-copyrighted material available, and all really great. Like ...

Chopin

The more obscure ones of course can be really great, but tougher to get going it seems.

I would be happy to help get it started, once we know what we want.

#2310952 - 08/04/14 11:13 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Greener

There has been plenty of interest and some discussion about it, but no consensus arrived at. We had talked about moving towards the 20th century and various genres discussed, including POP (Beatles or other) Standards/show tunes (Gershwin or other) and the like. The trouble was with adequate choice, interest, and/or limited, or no availability of non-copyrighted material. Each time, the discussion faded away. But, I agree that now (or by September) would be a good time to pick a winner for next March 15th, 2015 recital date.

There is such a broad array of preferences, seems to be part of the challenge too. Why not hit some composers we know many people like to play, with plenty of non-copyrighted material available, and all really great. Like ...

Chopin

The more obscure ones of course can be really great, but tougher to get going it seems.

I would be happy to help get it started, once we know what we want.

I think with Chopin we would be excluding a lot of the beginners here since he has very few simpler pieces. Schumann, however, has his Album for the Young and difficulty level goes up from there. I think Schumann is a great suggestion.

Another good choice would be Bartok (and would accommodate the 20th century idea). Perhaps doing ALL of the Mikrokosmos would be a hugely ambitious endeavor - one where I think many people would have to take on several pieces at once, but it's all accessible on IMSLP. I think there are 153 pieces in Mikrokosmos, but even if we got a good representation of them it would be fine. Kind of like what we did for Tchaikovsky, not really able to get everything he wrote completed, but a respectable representation. Perhaps with Bartok we could allow stuff outside Mikrokosmos too.

#2310958 - 08/04/14 11:25 AM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
Greener Online   content

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto

I think with Chopin we would be excluding a lot of the beginners here since he has very few simpler pieces.

We will never be all things to all people. Is also part of the problem. Some are easier then others I'm sure. I know Bach has some easier stuff, but many people have no interest in learning Bach.

I know nothing about any of these composers you mention. So, for me it is matter of going through a play list in hope I can find something that grabs me, or that I am interested in learning.

Wherever the most interest lies ... seems to be the ticket.

#2310977 - 08/04/14 12:03 PM Re: Tchaikovsky Themed Recital - GENERAL DISCUSSION [Re: Greener]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
This conversation has moved to its own thread

Next Themed Recital Discussion

I'm going to temporarily lock this thread (just for a day or two) so that the discussion doesn't continue here.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
Today at 09:39 AM
Need a stool of some kind
by GeorgeStorm
Today at 09:19 AM
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
Today at 08:48 AM
Old Schumann Upright
by UnrightTooner
Today at 08:24 AM
For sale: stand & monitors (used with MP11)...
by mrmacmusic
Today at 07:38 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, ajames, amt976, anamnesis, 41 invisible), 1634 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76385 Members
42 Forums
157919 Topics
2319238 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission