Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2262085 - 04/15/14 11:39 AM The traditional one month to recital thread
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
It's hard to believe, but the quarterly AB forum recital is only a month away. eek How's everybody doing?

I have my piece memorized and learned, now just working on the polishing up and recording stage, which always seems to take inordinately long.

Spoiler alert: Once again, it's NOT Einaudi. wink

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2262094 - 04/15/14 12:06 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
With all these themed recitals I've been playing in I feel like I should be ready for anything. Except it never gets any easier.

This time I will present something completely different!

Sam
Every ABF recital since #13 Feb '09!
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#2262095 - 04/15/14 12:06 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
For the first time in years I'm ahead of the game - I'm playing a piece that I haven't recorded before but has been in my repertoire for several months. What a novel idea, eh?

But apologies to Inlanding, since I have not yet learned Tea for Two, which he sent me several months ago. I've had a time of slogging with performance, and most new stuff has taken a back seat to trying to figure out wtxxx I'm actually doing smile

Cathy

#2262099 - 04/15/14 12:15 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
Greener Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Although I haven't been able to rally the other half of my squadron (doing 1st movement of Moonlight Sonata), I am otherwise close with the 2nd movement.

Holly ... seems like I just shut off the recorder. Thanks for the reminder and thanks also for taking my desperate call for help last evening, Monica.

A little slip of the finger and I have all the recitals back to when Mr. Super-Hunky first invented them, downloaded to my personal computer laugh .

#2262102 - 04/15/14 12:17 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
For once, I haven't got anything ready yet! But wait before you rejoice, I will find something grin

#2262119 - 04/15/14 12:51 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: sinophilia]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I have one pretty good recording of my piece, but as usual, I want better! All of these themed recitals have really put the pressure on! So the next couple of weeks are going to be quite focussed on doing more polishing.

#2262202 - 04/15/14 03:11 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Yes I have my pieces (2 from a larger set) recorded already last week. Had to, because I have no time coming weekend, and the weekend thereafter I'm on holidays.

#2262248 - 04/15/14 04:49 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I am in trouble. Unless I submit the Mozart duet I played with my sister, I've got nothing. I don't think my sister wants to be immortalized on the internet. Besides, we aren't that good. We were just having fun. So yup, I'm in trouble.

#2262339 - 04/15/14 08:13 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I'm running low on corny gimmicks to promote my recital submissions. That is until I heard this incredible cover version of a lovely simple tune that everyone has heard. The only thing is that the tune is played on a guitar so I'm not sure how the 'conversion' is going to end up.

I'm not going to mention the tune yet as I'm still working on it and may bail if it doesn't work out. But if I do, do it, .......it will be a..... 'Double-Cover'

New gimmick! smile

#2262366 - 04/15/14 09:14 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
past experience has told me I need more than a month to convert the shambles of a piece I call music into something others might consider a brave effort with room for improvement. So it's starting to look like a plan B piece.

#2262382 - 04/15/14 10:03 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Ok, I need to submit something so that I am actually in two consecutive recitals (which would be for the first time in a long time).

I have a Nyman piece that's ready for recording (theoretically) and also potentially Einaudi and one by Michele McLaughlin.... And George Winston, except I'm not happy with my tempo.

In short, I have no excuse for not submitting a recording!

#2262395 - 04/15/14 10:33 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I'd like to double check.
On these quarterly recitals.
There is no sign up time.
Just a submittal time.
Right?

Reason I ask. Seriously.... These recitals have started to motivate me to think about submitting something. They are a good motivator. I never worked so stubbornly hard on a piece till the week of recording that Joplin piece. I guess there is just something about that red dot?

#2262402 - 04/15/14 10:54 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

That is correct, Ron - since it's a completely open recital as far as pieces go there's no need to sign up before you submit. Pick anything you want, and go for it.

We've had duplicates, and that's fine. We have such a wide variety of interests and levels tho that dupes aren't usual. But we don't care smile

The red dot lives!

Cathy

#2263197 - 04/17/14 06:55 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
500 Post Club Member

Ha! Checked with my sister about the duet recording. She says if people aren't too critical, she's game for me using the recording in the next ABF Quarterly recital. The thing I need to do is get the Bach recorded for the NEXT Quarterly recital!!! Wouldn't that be good planning on my part!!?? Well, I can hope. At least I'm ready for this recital coming up.

#2263202 - 04/17/14 07:11 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: dynamobt]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: dynamobt
Ha! Checked with my sister about the duet recording. She says if people aren't too critical, she's game for me using the recording in the next ABF Quarterly recital. ....

You can show her our judging panel here....

#2263349 - Yesterday at 04:49 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
evamar Online   blank
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
I'm preparing a couple pieces that I really like, so hopefully I'll have at least one finished by then!

Was it 15th May?

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2263356 - Yesterday at 05:06 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: evamar]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: evamar

Was it 15th May?

Yes - opens for submissions on the 1st. Deadline is the evening of the 14th. Goes live on the 15th.

Sam
Every ABF recital since #13 Feb '09!
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#2263362 - Yesterday at 05:37 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Sam S]
evamar Online   blank
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK
Thanks Sam, I should have time to finish one at a decent level! grin

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2263392 - Yesterday at 08:01 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Perhaps I can accomplish the video of the Tchaikovsky piece that I didn't get up in time. I think I may have the technical problem figured out.

Love to learn

#2263527 - Yesterday at 01:12 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Can June be the new May?! wink

Kawai K3

#2263559 - Yesterday at 02:24 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Well, the stuff I`m submitting will be so slow, you`ll either fall off (if you`re riding a bike to it) or fall asleep listening. . . it`s SO SLOW you could ALMOST sight read it and record in the same session. . .wouldn`t that be great?

The word "almost" is the clue; I`ve been at it a fortnight . .yawn .zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .CRASH!!

Edited by peterws (Yesterday at 02:25 PM)

""

#2263798 - Yesterday at 08:54 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
pianonewbie1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
How do you submit a piece to a recital? I.e. Are there rules, sound recording criteria of recording video, or type of song?

#2263800 - Yesterday at 08:59 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
500 Post Club Member

For the Adult Beginner Forum Quarterly Recitals you'll need an mp3 file. Programs like Audacity can convert WAV files to an mp3. When the recital opens, there is a file uploader posted. You just follow directions to upload your file and then answer questions about the instrument used, and about your experience playing. "Themed" recitals of certain composers or genre, have their own rules. Usually not special uploader posted. You just send a link to your file that is uploaded to a site like BOX. Or a link to your YouTube video.

Edited by dynamobt (Yesterday at 09:01 PM)

#2263810 - Yesterday at 09:05 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
pianonewbie1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
then it'll be posted with the uploader ? or when exactly to do this ?
(thanks in advance)

#2263822 - Yesterday at 09:17 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
500 Post Club Member

Monica K. is the one who runs the recital. I forget the specific date and time. But a very clear thread will be started with a title announcing the opening of the recital. Next one is in May. The uploader stays active for 15 days giving people time to get their files uploaded. Then all the files are posted in an entirely new thread for people to start listening to them. Comments are made in another very clearly marked thread. You even get a template to just plug your comments into. So, it's all made about as easy as it can get. All very clearly titled threads with very specific instructions what to do. All you need is the mp3 of your piece.

#2264019 - Today at 10:23 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
AZ_Astro Online   content

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Hmmm. I've only dabbled with the themed recitals.

I have finally started up with a teacher and I've learned a song recently that I like pretty well. Needs some polish of course! It's a pretty simple blues melody. Would that be appropriate for this then?

Has anyone heard anything about another themed recital yet?

Thx.

Edited by AZ_Astro (Today at 10:24 AM)

#2264028 - Today at 10:43 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: AZ_Astro]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I think we`re all exhausted from the last two . . . .

""

#2264036 - Today at 11:04 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: peterws]

Originally Posted By: peterws
I think we`re all exhausted from the last two . . . .

Yes. I picked a very easy piece for Tchaikovsky but Joplin was too much for me...

#2264052 - Today at 11:53 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Az Astro - a simple blues piece would be great! At least from my point of view - I love the variety we get in the quarterly recitals, and I'm definitely a non-classical genre piano player, so those always get my attention.

For me, the very best recitals are the quarterlies:

1. Absolutely everyone can participate, and the participation is the basic motivation for submitting - a record of where you are right now, and the ABF loves to hear it.

2. Absolute beginners are not only welcomed, but encouraged - since any piece at all can be submitted, there's no particular skill level imposed by the pieces themselves. If someone's been playing a couple of days and can record the first recognizable tune from their book, go for it! It's part of the genius of the recitals.

3. Improvisers are welcome - new age, jazz, pop-by-ear, Mr. Super-Hunky's see what happens method, all of them bring us some great music.

4. Composers - DIY piano tunes are great

5. Looking forward to particular ABFers' contributions - it's so much fun to see what each of us is going to pick next - it's like "following" them on the ABF quarterlies laugh

6. The sheer creative genius and originality of the ABF, in all its glory - what a great spectrum of music we play, and with such delight. It's a special feature of the unbridled ABF quarterlies. ABF quarterlies FTW!

Any way, AZ Astro - we can always use more blues in my book laugh

Cathy

#2264107 - Today at 02:16 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: jotur]

Originally Posted By: jotur
Any way, AZ Astro - we can always use more blues in my book laugh

Cathy

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Count me in this time around. I can whip that baby into shape in a few weeks! Heh heh. (Already tried recording today. No joy there yet.)

But I am looking forward to hearing the diversity of submissions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (Alex Hernandez, A Guy, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1727 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153586 Topics
2250922 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Etude in G
by Polyphonist
Today at 03:58 PM
A Piano Song With Notes In It
by Ritzycat
Today at 03:51 PM
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
Today at 03:47 PM
27/16 time signature!
by Polyphonist
Today at 03:46 PM
Three great pianists/teachers celebrate the same birthday!
by music32
Today at 03:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission