2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
I
Originally Posted by Atrys
Originally Posted by gizzards
You will just be an idiot of you call them anything scientific.

First, you're on about a non-issue that is not relevant. Second, scientific hypotheses must start somewhere. The hypothesis asserted (one of which I touched on earlier) are indeed scientific in nature and are great catalysts for the community to begin speculation on.

*yawn*

Righto mate. However, that is a straw man argument you retort with! We are not arguing about what is scientific in nature, (which by the way, is not a thing; it's either science or it is not). We are not even arguing about scientific catalysts! I was proving that your use of sources (which, humourously enough, you never actually sourced) are invalid as scientific texts. I did not even refute your primary argument. I simply would like to point out your horrible abuse of the word "science"! Horrible!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Furthermore, you are into the realm of religious debate, which along with political debate is almost certainly banned here (I've never seen a site where it wasn't).

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Old Man

There is no burden on the opposing side to prove the negative, so it would seem to me that anyone who attempts to do so is being sucked into unnecessary combat with the "affirmative" side

Yes, the burden of proof is on whoever is trying to disprove the null hypothesis, so technically one doesn't really need the book (or proof of the null hypothesis) in order to arrive at the same conclusion laugh

Originally Posted by Old Man

But after seeing one my favorite authors (Christopher Hitchens) endorse the book, you've piqued my curiosity, so thanks for the reference.

Hitchens was indeed a brilliant man with much to say and the words to say it. Certainly missed.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

Righto mate. However, that is a straw man argument you retort with! We are not arguing about what is scientific in nature, (which by the way, is not a thing; it's either science or it is not). We are not even arguing about scientific catalysts! I was proving that your use of sources (which, humourously enough, you never actually sourced) are invalid as scientific texts. I did not even refute your primary argument. I simply would like to point out your horrible abuse of the word "science"! Horrible!

It's difficult to take you seriously when almost every one of your sentences is a fallacy itself.

The asserted hypotheses are absolutely scientific in nature. To think otherwise is plainly unscientific.

*yawn again*

You have the weakest, most unfounded argument of them all; but I'm still for the discourse so long as you can correct your logic and definitions wink

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
I
I
Originally Posted by Atrys

It's difficult to take you seriously when almost every one of your sentences is a fallacy itself.

The asserted hypotheses are absolutely scientific in nature. To think otherwise is plainly unscientific.

*yawn again*

You have the weakest, most unfounded argument of them all; but I'm still for the discourse so long as you can correct your logic and definitions wink

I am absolutely clear on my argument. Science is a clear cut process with specific denotations/models (mathematical and terminological). The studies you (did not) sourced are not scientific. They do not follow this process of denotation and modeling. You also cannot be scientific in nature, and for one thing, you have not even defined that is in the first palce, and two, either the process of science has been executed or it has not been. There is no amiguity in science, which is what makes it so beautiful!

I am also extremely dumbfounded to say the least about your excessive use of non sequiturs! For instance, you disconnect your statements from any more reasoning. For example, in the phrase, "To think otherwise is plainly unscientific", you need to follow the assertion with reasoning as to why it is true. Otherwise, that is only an opinion - which is fine, it is not argumental, however!

I am finished (I have an orgo chem exam I must study for). Please, please do not abuse the word science.

Last edited by gizzards; 04/15/14 09:23 PM.
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
The studies you (did not) sourced are not scientific. They do not follow this process of denotation and modeling. You also cannot be scientific in nature

All of these statements are false.

If you cannot see how the hypotheses are scientific in nature, you must have not read the material. You actually don't even need to read any papers; one only has to acknowledge the mechanisms that create the argument.

I'm not in the business of "proving" what I said here because I am not the one that formulated the hypotheses (though I do acknowledge, like any thinking person, their plausibility). They are scientific hypotheses (precursors perhaps) put forward by scientists. The hypotheses are competing, but the evolutionary byproduct flavor seems to be winning the race.

Last edited by Atrys; 04/15/14 09:31 PM.

R. W. Emerson
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
[Linked Image]

This made me laugh. grin

+1

Poetry is rhythm
And this is why we will always need philosophers to set people straight. In other words, the guys who are smarter than everyone, including scientists. That's me, of course. :]

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Mark_C
No grin

A wise man, indeed. grin

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission