Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2262391 - Yesterday at 10:18 PM Just got my MP11!
Dan Clark Online   content

Loc: Bellevue, WA USA
That's the good news (Pic below). The features are great and the grand piano sound is excellent. But...

The bad news is that the action seems very heavy. (Yes, I know about the touch control.) The problem is that I have arthritis in my hands. Combined with the heavy action, my wrists and hands are very sore after a few sessions playing (maybe 90 minutes total).

My Casio PX-850 has a much lighter action. Also, my piano lessons are taken on one of several grand pianos including, Yamaha, Hailun, and Steinway (a couple times). I can't be sure but these seem to have much lighter actions. And when I tried a CA65 and a CA95, they didn't seem to have an action this heavy. (I could be mistaken on this.) I'm trying to like the MP11 and I'll keep going for a few more days to see if I can handle the heavy key action, but I'm very concerned about this.

IF I have to return it for another DP, what other quality DP would you recommend that is very close to a light action grand piano? Does the VPC1 have a lighter action?

Thanks and regards,

Dan.

The work table is only a temporary set up.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2262393 - Yesterday at 10:30 PM Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Congrats!

The VPC is slightly heavier feeling when playing high up on the keys (in between the black keys), otherwise it's the same.

I would try out the Light or Light + setting on the Virtual Technician first. In fact, I believe the default is that you have that parameter when you turn on the instrument, it should be Knob D labeled "Touch". If you turn it to either of those two settings and try playing, I think you will notice a big difference. Really, the action is in relation to the sound you are getting, and when you get a bigger sound from less pressure, then you will play lighter. If you get a softer sound, you will play heavier in order to achieve the desired sound.

Try it out for a while, and certainly don't start with a marathon 90 minute session. wink
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2262396 - Yesterday at 10:36 PM Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]
minstrelman Offline

Loc: buffalo
just want to say, in order:
tbh, jealous.... I want one......lol
really surprised. I have a CA65. I find the action at times to be perhaps a little on the light side. that said, within minutes of starting to play, I feel very very happy with the action just as it is. it is not too light, not too heavy......
I do not know another dp to recommend to you. the vpc1 has the RM3 II action: http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/vpc-1/vpc-1.html
I have never played one.
I played a CA93. I think that has a similar action (I think RM3....but no II). I only played it once for a short time. I really liked it.

I hope your arthritis gets better. pain is no fun.

#2262401 - Yesterday at 10:46 PM Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]
kippesc Offline

Loc: United States
The Roland RD-700NX has a light action (maybe too light), a bit lighter than my Steinway. Nonetheless, I generally find that Morodiene's comment is true. I'd think you could fiddle with the touch curve and get where you need to be. I love the Kawai DPs. Hopefully, you'll get yours to work for you.

It's possible the banquet table is part of the problem. I've got one of those very tables. I'd think it'd flex a bit while playing.

Edited by kippesc (Yesterday at 10:49 PM)

#2262416 - Yesterday at 11:51 PM Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Most people who have played both feel that the GF action in your MP11 feels lighter than the RM3-II in the VPC1. I have the predecessor with Kawai's closely related AWA-Pro action and it's quite heavy. If GF is unsuitable, even after turning up the volume and/or adjusting touch curves, I think you should move away from Kawai.

Roland's actions are often considered lighter (at least, PHAIII...PHAIV is apparently a bit heavier) but by no means low impact. Personally I don't fine them very satisfying, but your hands may have difference preferences and expectations.

#2262458 - Today at 04:43 AM Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Morodiene]
Digitalguy Online   content

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

The VPC is slightly heavier feeling when playing high up on the keys (in between the black keys), otherwise it's the same.

Well, that's probably good news for me then... I had always thought GF was clearly lighter than RM3(II). If that's the only difference it means it's heavier only on ff/fff (that's at least when I mainly use that part of the key).
Contrary to Dan, I tend to prefer heavier actions, probably because I learnt to play on my mother's baby grand and that's probably my standard. I have tried PHAIII and find it too light, I have also tried the ES7 and find it too light too. I have settled on the Ivory feel G, which feels the closest to my "standard" and I am pretty happy with it, but RM3 and GF are virtually unanimously considered clearly superior, but I haven't found a shop that sells them not too far (several hours of driving) from where I live.
Can someone tell me how RM3 and GF compare to RH2 (ES7 and MP7 I think), especially with regards to heaviness? If you have also tried PHAIII and Ivory feel G in addition to that, that would be even more interesting...
Thanks!
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland Duo Capture, Ivory II American, VILabs Ravenscroft, TrueKeys American, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, Alicia's Keys, NI New York Grand, SampleTekk Black, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, Truepianos, Pianissimo, Addictive Keys, EzKeys.

#2262460 - Today at 04:45 AM Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
I would not call Grand piano action light. Some of them are lighter, some of them heavier. I would say differencies regarding action and sound in acoustic pianos are even bigger than in digital pianos.
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2262468 - Today at 05:28 AM Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Congrats on you MP11, Dan. I wouldn't fret at this stage. Maybe anxiousness is playing a part in your sense impression of the action - fear of fear itself.

As Erin suggests, make sure you've got the piano set to a decent volume with a bright sound, a real piano is much louder than most of us get used to when playing a DP. Then ease into it, no need to play demanding stuff at the outset.

#2262471 - Today at 06:01 AM Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Congrats Dan!

Are you playing the instrument at the correct height?
From your photograph, it appears that the table may be a little tall, which may cause you to adjust a different playing position.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2262488 - Today at 07:39 AM Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Kawai James]

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Congrats Dan!

Are you playing the instrument at the correct height?
From your photograph, it appears that the table may be a little tall, which may cause you to adjust a different playing position.

Kind regards,
James
x

Great suggestion, James. I was just thinking the same thing. If I am not playing at the correct height, my arms get sore too. And by "correct" there is a some leeway, but anything too far in either extreme is not good. Try the DP out when you get is on a decent stand adjusted to the right height for you, and with the Light touch selected and see if that doesn't help.

#2262588 - Today at 12:49 PM Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]
kapelli Online   blank

Loc: Poland
Dań,

Firstly I second the others proposal - at first the properposition and piano height.
Regarding the GF actio, it isn't heavy. RM action from VPC1 is heavier.

Real Grand actions can be a lot more heavy than GF.
However, you will find roland action lighter, but also not so realistic.

It you will still have problems, firstly just give your hands time to adiutant.
If you were playing before on light actions, what I consider, give yourself a month or so to get used to this action,
So your finger will be stronger.

#2262617 - 44 minutes 34 seconds ago Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]
LarryMan Online   content

Just out of curiosity what is the "correct height"?

Can someone provide the height (from ground to keys) on a console DP (Kawai CA, Roland HP, Yamaha)?

Thanks

#2262622 - 37 minutes 15 seconds ago Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Now, that is a looker. But she`s a biggie for carting around! I wonder if the inertia of the (wooden?) keys plays a part in this problem you have?

""

#2262624 - 33 minutes 51 seconds ago Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: LarryMan]
kapelli Online   blank

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: LarryMan
Just out of curiosity what is the "correct height"?

Can someone provide the height (from ground to keys) on a console DP (Kawai CA, Roland HP, Yamaha)?

Thanks

Grand standard is like 70cm. On uprights can be bit hiigher due to action solutions.

#2262637 - 1 minute 42 seconds ago Re: Just got my MP11! [Re: Dan Clark]

My Petrof is about 29.5" (74.93 cm) to the tops of the keys and about an inch of that is due to caster cups. Don't forget, too, that bench height plays a part in this.

First, though, you want the piano at a height in this range of 27-29" and then adjust the bench height so that your feet can be flat on the floor when you are sitting at about mid-way on the bench (not all the way back like you would in a chair). When you rest your hands on the keys, your forearms should be roughly parallel to the floor. Some people like being a bit higher than the keys, but this is a good place to start.

Also, distance from the keys is important. Extend your arms straight out in front of you and make fists with your hands. Your fists, should touch the "fallboard" - that flat part where the keys are visible - without you having to lean forward or back.

Lastly, you will also need to be careful of the placement of the pedals since the MP11 doesn't have a stand that does that for you. The damper pedal (the one to the right) lines up roughly with A4, and the pedal unit should be a distance of about 8-9" back from the front of the piano.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
164 registered (Almaviva, Atrys, accordeur, Anne'sson, anotherscott, 51 invisible), 1818 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153499 Topics
2249386 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
38 minutes 47 seconds ago
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
Today at 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
Today at 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
Today at 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
Today at 07:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission