Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2262667 - Today at 04:00 PM Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
peabody Online   content

Loc: nc
Good afternoon to all...
I have just purchased a pair of jbl 308 studio monitors. I have hooked them up to my Korg Krome keyboard. The sound quality of the monitors is great but I had hoped for more volume (especially with piano sounds). I know they are near field monitors but I have both turned up full volume with the keyboard at full volume. I am wondering if the output of the keyboard itself is weak. If I would like a bit more volume what might be a good suggestion or add on. Thanks ahead of time to all.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2262672 - Today at 04:09 PM Re: Question about monitor speakers with keyboard [Re: peabody]
lolatu Online   content

Loc: UK
Monitors like that should be very loud (too loud for practical purposes) at full volume. Have you tried attaching some other sound source? Does the Korg have a line out volume control knob or software setting?

#2262682 - Today at 04:38 PM Re: Question about monitor speakers with keyboard [Re: lolatu]
Digitalguy Online   content

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: lolatu
Monitors like that should be very loud (too loud for practical purposes) at full volume. Have you tried attaching some other sound source? Does the Korg have a line out volume control knob or software setting?

Agree. You may also want to test the power of the sound from the headphone output as opposed to the line out.
My Roland, for instance, has a weaker sound coming out of the line out than that of the headphone out. On the contrary my Korg Kross has a stronger sound from the line out than from the headphone out...
Having said that, thanks for mentioning these speakers, from what I have seen and listened on the internet they sound clearly better than the Rokit 8 while being at the same price or even cheaper.
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland Duo Capture, Ivory II American, VILabs Ravenscroft, TrueKeys American, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, Alicia's Keys, NI New York Grand, SampleTekk Black, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, Truepianos, Pianissimo, Addictive Keys, EzKeys.

#2262685 - Today at 04:43 PM Re: Question about monitor speakers with keyboard [Re: peabody]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Check the position of the Input Sensitivity switch on the back of the JBLs. The -10dB setting may give you more oomph, since IIRC the Krome has unbalanced 1/4" outputs.

Cheers,

B.

#2262686 - Today at 04:45 PM Re: Question about monitor speakers with keyboard [Re: peabody]
peabody Online   content

I do believe that the headphone out jack is louder... at least when wearing headphones. If that is the case what should I do?
Also, since the Krome does not have xlr outs I am using a quarter inch to xlr adapter and then running the other end of xlr into speaker... not sure if that matters either

#2262689 - Today at 04:55 PM Re: Question about monitor speakers with keyboard [Re: peabody]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Originally Posted By: peabody
... I am using a quarter inch to xlr adapter and then running the other end of xlr into speaker... not sure if that matters either

You don't need the XLR adapters. The LSR308s have TRS 1/4" inputs which you should be able to connect directly to the Krome's outputs using either balanced (TRS) or unbalanced (TS) 1/4" cables. Again, the -10dB input switch setting should give you more gain.

B.

#2262690 - Today at 04:59 PM Re: Question about monitor speakers with keyboard [Re: peabody]
peabody Online   content

I am already using the -10db setting

#2262700 - 40 minutes 30 seconds ago Re: Question about monitor speakers with keyboard [Re: peabody]
Digitalguy Online   content

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: peabody
I do believe that the headphone out jack is louder... at least when wearing headphones. If that is the case what should I do?
Also, since the Krome does not have xlr outs I am using a quarter inch to xlr adapter and then running the other end of xlr into speaker... not sure if that matters either

Well, if there is no other solution (but it seems really strange) you could use an audio interface in between either the headphone out and the monitors or (to add gain) the line out and the monitors
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland Duo Capture, Ivory II American, VILabs Ravenscroft, TrueKeys American, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, Alicia's Keys, NI New York Grand, SampleTekk Black, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, Truepianos, Pianissimo, Addictive Keys, EzKeys.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
183 registered (Akshay, accordeur, acortot, 36251, 50 invisible), 1793 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153503 Topics
2249466 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
04/16/14 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
04/16/14 05:14 PM
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
04/16/14 04:00 PM
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
04/16/14 03:42 PM
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
04/16/14 02:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission