2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Organizational Entities are too ephemeral for me. A piano company is wherever humans turn wood and metal into musical instruments. All the rest smacks of sophistry.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Organizational Entities are too ephemeral for me. A piano company is wherever humans turn wood and metal into musical instruments. All the rest smacks of sophistry.

Kurt, I was trying to explain how there are 80 different piano brands or lines sold in the U.S., but only 30 separate companies manufacture those 80 lines.

For instance, Irmler owns a factory in China which partially manufactures the Irmler Studio piano line. However, I didn't count Irmler as a separate "company" because Irmler is owned by Bluthner.

I'm having second thoughts about listing Bosendorfer, Seiler and Wilh. Steinberg as independent piano manufacturers because they were acquired by Yamaha, Samick and Parsons Music, respectively, within the last few years. That would reduce the number of separate manufacturers from 30 to 27. However, according to Piano Buyer, "Yamaha says it will not be making any changes to Bösendorfer's location or methods of production, and that its sales network will continue to be separate from Yamaha's." Therefore, Bosendorfer could still be considered an independent manufacturer, and thus there would still be 28 independent companies manufacturing pianos that are sold in the U.S.

Boy, is this getting confusing! confused

Last edited by Almaviva; 04/16/14 04:14 PM. Reason: accuracy
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by KurtZ

Nicely said. I learned two new words and from an idealistic point of view I would like to agree with you.
That however would ignore what Almaviva pointed out, Imler is not a company anymore..

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I think a stencil piano is one which is not unique to its own model name/number. ie. if it's available as other brands with minimal difference in specifications. For a piano to avoid being a stencil, it needs to be the only one of that configuration available, and with its own distinctive model number.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
We all seem to agree that "house brand pianos," and the reuse of the name of a defunct manufacturer, would be considered a "Stencil."

No, only the house brand fits the stencil definition. It's made by one company and sold to another for distribution or retail, and the second company's name goes on it.

Buying the rights to a defunct name is quite different. That's why I propose the term "ghost piano".

The stencil company is pretending to have made the piano it sells.

The ghost company is pretending to have made much better pianos in the past.

I'm not sure why, but it seems important to me to keep careful track of the make-believe.... ;-)

Last edited by JohnSprung; 04/16/14 03:56 PM.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Not to split hairs, but the newer manufacturer probably would dispute the notion that the historical pianos bearing the same name were better. After all, the premise behind acquiring a noble marque is to misappropriate the cachet associated with the name!

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

Not to split hairs, but the newer manufacturer probably would dispute the notion that the historical pianos bearing the same name were better. After all, the premise behind acquiring a noble marque is to misappropriate the cachet associated with the name!

Well, yes, of course.... The cachet is make-believe. Everybody defends their own make-believe.

Come to think of it, Essex and Boston belong in a much different category based on make-believeness: The company that distributes them is a real piano company, not a department store. They use new made-up names, not a fake link to past glory. All in all, they're more honest. Can anybody think of a word for that?

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Come to think of it, Essex and Boston belong in a much different category based on make-believeness: The company that distributes them is a real piano company, not a department store. They use new made-up names, not a fake link to past glory. All in all, they're more honest. Can anybody think of a word for that?

Steincil? wink

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

Well, yes, of course.... The cachet is make-believe. Everybody defends their own make-believe.

Yes, JohnSprung, there is a word for that, and you used it in your own question. That word is "honesty". thumb

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando

Steincil? wink

Hehehe… good one!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
We all seem to agree that "house brand pianos," and the reuse of the name of a defunct manufacturer, would be considered a "Stencil."

No, only the house brand fits the stencil definition. It's made by one company and sold to another for distribution or retail, and the second company's name goes on it.

Buying the rights to a defunct name is quite different. That's why I propose the term "ghost piano".

The stencil company is pretending to have made the piano it sells.

I'm not sure why, but it seems important to me to keep careful track of the make-believe.... ;-)

Just thinking out loud and taking this one step further, under the "ghost piano" definition, couldn't you argue that any past company is now a different company today operated by different people, possibly a different philosophy yet still profiting from use of the past name? Are Steinways today the same as they were back when Henry Steinway owned the company? Aren't all current owners using a "name" and design today? And what happens when a company is owned by a different parent company (i.e., Samick and Seiler)? Is it still the same company? As soon as ownership passes, the only thing I believe that links a company to its past is the "know-how" and philosophy that is passed on. And even that changes (for example, Steinways use of the Accelerated Action in later pianos).

Last edited by Grandman; 04/16/14 05:35 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Steincil? wink

Groan

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Not sure if it's a "Stencil" piano or not, but I have a Howard (Baldwin product) made by Kawai (same as a Kawai model 550) from 1969. It's actually a pretty nice piano, for what I paid for it.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that maybe some "Stencil" pianos ain't all that bad. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Rick, you make a very good point.

Sometimes there is an immediate negative connotation to the term. Yet, in some instances, it is merely used as an explanation. Certainly, most people who have some knowledge of the workings of the piano biz would not considered a Kawai built Howard to be anything other than a Baldwin.

Marty in Minnesota

S
Online Content
S
I'm not sure it was first done by them, but the pre-emminant stencil pianos were made in the 60s-80s by Aeolian.

They made the same piano, under the following labels (as my poor memory serves me):

Winter & Co.
Geo. Steck & Co.
Henry f. Miller
Hallet Davis
Hardman
Haines Bros.
Fischer

and others.

In many instances the only difference was the name, while sometimes the music desk varied.

This allowed them to sell each dealer, even in a dense market, their own brand name to sell.

If you ordered 18 or more, you could have them private-labels. My uncle Marty owned the Martin Piano Company in Philly close to my uncle Lou's Cunningham Piano Co. - now owned by Rich Galassini and Tim Oliver. Marty featured his house brand "Martasonic" which was an Aeolian stencil.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I want me a "Martasonic" !!!!

Too Cool !!!!

Marty in Minnesota

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Too Cool !!!!

And I got a groan for Steincil??? wink

S
Online Content
S
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
To me, a stencil piano is a piano with an untraceable name on the fall board, and no name on the plate.

Are there any pianos being made today where the manufacturer is a mystery?

Hi Eric.

Your definition wouldn't include the Aeolian pianos.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Too Cool !!!!

And I got a groan for Steincil??? wink

It's was one of those excellent groans!

Wouldn't you want an Andolavier?

grin

Marty in Minnesota

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Put me down for a Retsacnola. Can I get orchestral voicing? wink

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission