2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 15 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Wow, has anyone else see this?

[Linked Image]

Chasing Pianos: the Music of Michael Nyman, played by Valentina Lisitsa

I heard about it from some other piano-internet friends, so forgive me if it's already been talked about here.

So, I have to confess, my first thought was, hey, maybe this will lend some credibility to music in this genre! grin

But that doesn't really matter, i think it's just really cool and I'm excited to get the CD!
(Also, I am now doubly motivated to record for the next recital, because it's one of the pieces included here smile

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 04/16/14 10:18 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Oh, I forgot, there's also this article at NPR:

NPR First Listen

a quote from the article, that many fans of Philip Glass and Michael Nyman will appreciate!

Blending minimalist techniques with pop sensibility and skillful, hummable melodies, Nyman has been labeled the British Philip Glass — a convenient oversimplification that actually benefits neither composer.

Indeed!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Sorry (I'm kind of spamming myself!) two more links:

There's a discussion about Valentina Lisitsa at the Pianist Corner here: Valentina Lisitsa talks about elitism , and this article was linked:

BBC article

just fyi smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Wow -- What an amazingly bad cover photo. It makes her look fat.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm sure most people have seen the movie (The Pianist) that the album cover photo is recreating. When I watched it all I could think of was how historically inappropriate the music was for the period of the movie. She should have been playing Chopin in that movie, not Nyman.

I don't mean that as a criticism of the music of Nyman, just a poor choice by the movie director. The music was an anachronism that spoiled my enjoyment of the movie.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now. Sometimes I feel like a complaining old man! If you haven't seen the movie, then it is worth watching, despite my problem with the choice of music.

And yes, I bought the album - I'm a big Lisitsa fan...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Wow -- What an amazingly bad cover photo. It makes her look fat.

Gee, I wonder if anyone would make a similar comment about a man wearing a kaftan or other loose-fitting garment.

For those who don't know, V.L.'s photo is a take-off of one of the original movie poster (and maybe album cover?) from the movie The Piano:

[Linked Image]

I like both posters a lot, here's another one that I like a lot too. (I'm sorry these photos are so big, I don't know how to resize them without downloading them and re-hosting them)

[Linked Image]

I'm sure most people have seen the movie (The Pianist) that the album cover photo is recreating. When I watched it all I could think of was how historically inappropriate the music was for the period of the movie. She should have been playing Chopin in that movie, not Nyman.

I don't mean that as a criticism of the music of Nyman, just a poor choice by the movie director. The music was an anachronism that spoiled my enjoyment of the movie.

Sam, it's so interesting to me that that was your reaction! I didn't think about the era and what music was available at that time. Instead, when I went to see what the music was for the movie, I remember thinking "of course the music was original compositions made just for this movie, because that music is her voice, and represents her thoughts, so it wouldn't work to have it be well-known pieces." Which is not to say that I disagree with your take on it, I think that's a valid criticism. Just that I had a totally different reaction.

Also, this movie is the Piano, the Pianist is the movie that's about the true story of Polish pianist Wladyslaw Szpilman and how he survived WWII. I know you know that, I bet you typed the Pianist because you were thinking about Chopin. smile

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 04/17/14 10:20 AM. Reason: to add photos

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"The Heart Asks Pleasure First" has the distinction of being the only piece that has ever made me go out and buy sheet music from a movie!

And I love me some Val, so it's a nice collision of things for me!

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

Sam, it's so interesting to me that that was your reaction! I didn't think about the era and what music was available at that time. Instead, when I went to see what the music was for the movie, I remember thinking "of course the music was original compositions made just for this movie, because that music is her voice, and represents her thoughts, so it wouldn't work to have it be well-known pieces." Which is not to say that I disagree with your take on it, I think that's a valid criticism. Just that I had a totally different reaction.

You've got Nyman's (and Jane Campion's, the movie director) thinking exactly. Nyman had the brief to compose music that was vaguely of the period but not anything recognizable, because the piano was to represent Holly Hunter's thoughts as closely as possible (as she was mute in the movie). Chopin or any other classical (Romantic) composer would not work, because we'd have heard the music before and have our own 'associations' with it. Not to mention the fact that the music would have to be heavily adapted to the script, which would have the whole classical fraternity up in arms.... wink

Michael Nyman was the Composer of the Week on BBC Radio 3 a few weeks ago, where he explained all this in detail. There's a podcast available, but I don't know whether his explanation of his process of composing for The Piano is on it:
www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/cotwhq/all

If music be the food of love, play on!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
The other interesting thing about the composition of the music to represent Holly Hunter's character's thoughts is that it was written to match Holly Hunter's piano playing skills level. smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmm Ive still not seen the Piano
Mind you I'm told I probably wouldn't enjoy it as its not actually about a piano but rather is a Jane Eyre-esque soppy romance.
Love Lisitska tho (and I have Nyman's earlier album Children)

Last edited by LarryShone; 04/17/14 12:18 PM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Bennevis, thanks for the link. Wow, I didn't know all that. That's very interesting. Sam, are you swayed to change your opinion? smile

Casinitaly, I knew she played in the movie, but I didn't realize the music was composed with her in mind.

Now I want to see it again!

Larry, I don't know that I'd call it a "soppy romance" (but then, I like the film very much so I'm not unbiased) still, I think there's a lot more going on than just a romance. You should give it a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Sam, are you swayed to change your opinion? smile

No, I'm sticking to my opinion. We are all products of the time we live in, especially back before recorded music was so universal. She would have played what she learned or heard. I guess I am just an old curmudgeon.

After listening to the album, I'm surprised at how varied Nyman's music is. There's variety between pieces - there is still not enough variety within the pieces. A simple ABA form with the B section a contrast would be a relief. The sameness of the music has always been one of my complaints about composers like Einaudi - the only way to tell the difference between his pieces is by the titles...

Also the endings, which are non-endings. Is it too much to ask to actually end the piece?

I'll quit complaining now...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Sam, why don't you tell us how you really feel? laugh

Regarding my earlier comment about changing your opinion of the music in the Piano, I was just giving you a hard time.

But your comments about music like that composed by Nyman and Einaudi aren't really fair. Their music sits squarely within the realm of contemporary composition informed more by popular music than by any rules like those that pertain to classical, romantic, baroque etc. Whether or not you like it is one thing, and whether or not you think that music should be used in certain contexts is one thing (and I think we're all clear on the answer to both of these questions smile but asking that it be different is kind of pointless, and IMO misguided in its own way. Nobody asks "why can't Philip Glass sound more like Mozart?" Or "why doesn't country music sound more like techno?" Or, for that matter, "why can't English grammar conform to the rules of Japanese grammar?" But that's how your questions sound to me.

This is actually what I meant by speculating that maybe Lisitsa recording Nyman's work would give some much needed credibility to the genre. But evidently not! smile Nyman, Einaudi, and other composers like them compose music that conforms to its own internal standards. Some people don't like those standards, some people like them a great deal. This is fine. I don't ask that everyone embrace this kind of music, I just wish that people would give it the credibility it deserves by recognizing it as a genre in and of itself, rather than expecting it to conform to some musical norms that are not relevant to this genre.

Ok, now I'll quit complaining laugh

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't want to argue, really. I do like Einaudi and Nyman and the other composers like them, they are just pretty far down the list of things I want to listen to. And it's the things that make their music unique that I don't like - the repetitiveness, the limited harmonic vocabulary, the lack of variety, the non-endings. But I still like to listen because the music evokes a particular mood - its quite good at that.

But, you know, it doesn't matter what I like - what's important is what you like.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Sam, I don't want to argue either, although if I'm going to argue, I would prefer it be with someone like you smile

Either way, I'm glad this came up, because it gave me a chance to articulate something I hadn't quite put into words when I started this thread.

Also, I think it's interesting that you have these very strong criticisms of the music but still like to listen to it. Does that mean you just don't like to listen to more than one piece in a row by one of these composers? (totally serious question, no sarcasm)

And does Big My Secret (Nyman) have all the elements of your criticisms? I ask not to start another argument but because I'm working on trying to record this piece right now and I have always thought it was quite different from a lot of other pieces in the genre, and very different from Einaudi for example. This piece (Big My Secret) was hard for me to "get into" practicing, by which I mean I couldn't sit down and read-play through it the way I can with an Einaudi piece, or even something like The Heart Asks Pleasure First, which I could sight-read HS basically at tempo from the beginning of my attempts at playing it. Whereas with Big My Secret, I couldn't get my head around the music, and as a result, I couldn't really even play through it HS in the beginning because the score didn't make sense to me (if that comment makes any sense)

So, I have always thought of Big My Secret as an outlier of sorts. What do you, Sam or anyone else reading, think of that?

(also, I haven't bought VL's CD yet, so I haven't heard the full piece, but just based on the little sample on Amazon, I think she may play this piece very differently from the original recording, for what it's worth)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I like the way VL plays "Big My Secret". She has the finger control to bring out the melody lines no matter where they are in the forest of notes and make everything else just a whisper. I love the way the treble runs sparkle above everything else. And it has a real ending smirk

But, a minute after listening, I've already forgotten the melody lines and there's no harmony that made an impression. There's just a lingering mood. But it's fun to listen to!

Can't wait to hear your version!

Sam

Last edited by Sam S; 04/18/14 03:17 PM.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Ugh, I shouldn't have asked! Maybe I won't submit BMS for the next recital afterall. (SK slinks away with her sloppy finger control)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryShone
Mind you I'm told I probably wouldn't enjoy it as its not actually about a piano but rather is a Jane Eyre-esque soppy romance.
It actually is about a piano, and someone who plays it. And I wouldn't characterized it as a "soppy romance"; it seemed more a psychological study to me. But even though I disagree with your summary, I won't recommend it to you. I thought it was quite horrifying, and even after a few years, there are scenes that I still can't get out of my head. I wouldn't want to watch it again.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
She plays it like a prayer

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by MaryBee
Originally Posted by LarryShone
It actually is about a piano, and someone who plays it. And I wouldn't characterized it as a "soppy romance"; it seemed more a psychological study to me. But even though I disagree with your summary, I won't recommend it to you. I thought it was quite horrifying, and even after a few years, there are scenes that I still can't get out of my head. I wouldn't want to watch it again.

Me too. I found it very disturbing. In fact after i saw it the first time, i got the piano music stuck in my head as an earworm and found it very distressing because I did not want to think about the movie. to this day I go out of my way not to listen to the music from that film.

I later took a uni course where we were using film to think about gender and power, and we had to watch that film on our own time and later have class discussions about it. I did not watch it with sound, but had it on mute so i wouldn't hear the music or the dialogue, and read the script along instead. (there weren't subtitles in the copy i was watching). Then I skipped over the really disturbing scenes.

Totally crazy, but that is how much this movie bothered me.

i really love Valentina Lisitsa but I don't know that I will be listening too much to this album! On the other hand, maybe her playing would help me to associate the piece with something other than the movie. :\

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission