2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
E
The DGT7 is indeed a nice idea, but there are 3 things that make me still prefer my N2:
- first: the place it takes: impossible for me to have such a big piano (really beautifull that is true..but too big for my flat)
- second: the TRS system: it is really not a gadget. I consider that as a really important functionality as it makes the playing experience so real..
- third: the problem of output dynamic via VST is still there: I am sure the velocity you get from this piano is identical to the one I get from the N2: external midi values are far less accurate than internal (I am sure yamaha does more that interpreting the velocity to trigger internal sound..)

anyway, for the price, it could be really tempting indeed (mostly compared to a N1 in my opinion)

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
The TRS feature is very good; I'm all for vibrations and resonances. On the Kawai CA95 the keys do vibrate (to a certain extent); however, one needs to play at a mid to high volume to be able to feel subtle vibrations. With the AvanrGrand N2/3, one can play at low volumes, and still feel the vibrations; which is a nice option for those who cannot play at louder volumes due to neighbor concerns.

E
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
The TRS feature is very good; I'm all for vibrations and resonances. On the Kawai CA95 the keys do vibrate (to a certain extent); however, one needs to play at a mid to high volume to be able to feel subtle vibrations. With the AvanrGrand N2/3, one can play at low volumes, and still feel the vibrations; which is a nice option for those who cannot play at louder volumes due to neighbor concerns.

Yep, that is exactly it.
I have owned a CA93, and the vibration are far less than real piano and impose you to play loudly...which is impossible for me.
With TRS, you can even get it playing with headphone
I ensure it is not a gadget as it changes even your perception of the sound (not the sound , but make the sounds live...)

Music is a lifestyle
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It appears the DGT7 and GT2 were replaced by the AvantGrand series. Am I correct? Looking at the specs of the DGT7 and GT2, they are well behind the AvantGrands in sample technology and speaker technology. I could be incorrect but for Bernie, he made the right call for his needs in choosing the AvantGrand. I will probably end up with another N1 soon. I don't see the necessity of going with the more expensive N2/N3 when the action is most important and practicing with headphones is a major priority now with a baby on the way. So the better speaker system and TRS aren't features that I need. I think the N1 cabinet looks a little better than the N2 although I do like how the N2 opens up.

A side note, but when I would get bored with the N1 sounds internally, I would simply midi the Nord Piano to the N1. It quite the experience getting to play the Studio Grand 2 Yamaha C7 sample with a real C series action. smile

Last edited by PianoZac; 04/11/14 08:27 AM.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
"I would simply midi the Nord Piano to the N1...."
Did you play the Nord through the N1's on-board speakers? if so, did it sound as good -or close to- as the onboard sound in terms of fidelity?
Some have complained about a "noise-gate", or the end result simply not being very convincing when running virtual instruments through the AvantGrand's on-board speakers.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoZac
It appears the DGT7 and GT2 were replaced by the AvantGrand series. Am I correct? Looking at the specs of the DGT7 and GT2, they are well behind the AvantGrands in sample technology and speaker technology. I could be incorrect but for Bernie, he made the right call for his needs in choosing the AvantGrand. I will probably end up with another N1 soon. I don't see the necessity of going with the more expensive N2/N3 when the action is most important and practicing with headphones is a major priority now with a baby on the way. So the better speaker system and TRS aren't features that I need. I think the N1 cabinet looks a little better than the N2 although I do like how the N2 opens up.

A side note, but when I would get bored with the N1 sounds internally, I would simply midi the Nord Piano to the N1. It quite the experience getting to play the Studio Grand 2 Yamaha C7 sample with a real C series action. smile
I thought of N1 at time of purchase, but I didn't care for the depth, almost reminds me of a B3. I can certainly understand that with headphones the N1 will work fine.

I can't fatham how a Nord sample will ever out class the internal samples of the AG, but as I learned recently everybody hears differently. I like the piano samples in AG very much, but like the Vintage D better. I don't think the Vintage D would sound as good using AG system since the internal samples were recorded in four channels and Vintage is just stereo.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
E
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
"
Some have complained about a "noise-gate", or the end result simply not being very convincing when running virtual instruments through the AvantGrand's on-board speakers.

We already discussed this point in another thread, when I was on the point to buy my N2
There is no noise gate on my N2
I am currently using the audio input, and I can ensure: no noise gate at all
Either it is a legend (I don't think) or more likely, Yamaha removed it, as this problem has been reported several years ago.

Music is a lifestyle
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
That's true; that issue has already been clarifed.
I know the internal sound routed through the 4-channel system will sound better; however, could you say running a virtual piano throuugh the on-board speakers (stereo) produces acceptable results? In other words, if you only had the option of playing a virtual piano through the AvantGrand would you be satisfied?
I ask because I have considered an AvantGrand, or a Grantouch to use solely as a controller (pianoteq 5); however, many have indicated that the end result is not optimal with the AvantGrand; perhaps due to the fact that the 4-channel system is not optimized for a stereo signal (speculating).

E
E
I must add that I mix the internal sound with VST sound
Indeed by using only VST sound, you get poor result
But As I said, the internal sound is really good by itself
I just mix it to add some resonnance details .
It is more a 'nice to have'.

Music is a lifestyle
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I suppose the Grantouch would serve my purposes better, after all.
The AvantGrand sounds good; however, I prefer pianoteq; and consequentially, being able to run other virtual pianos; like the Ravenscroft.
The possibility to upgrade -just- the sound every couple of years vs. buying an entirely new piano is also a reason why I'd go with the controller (Grantouch) set-up.
The AvantGrand is still a top contender; that is until Kawai releases their version of a hybrid (grand piano action included). smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission