Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
107 registered (ando, 36251, Al LaPorte, anamnesis, A Guy, 36 invisible), 1441 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#2258953 - 04/09/14 03:28 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
chopinoholic Online   content

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Waltz in A-flat major, B. 21 - Cinnamonbear
Clearly an early work of Chopin. I like his early works because you can hear his style in them waiting to be developed into the Chopin we all love.
I think you hit the nail the way you played it. Clear and jumpy. smile

Waltz in E major, B. 44 - Tim Adrianson
What a nice piece. Well played. The different themes are well glued together and I like the piano sound.

Waltz in E-flat major, B. 46 - Cinnamonbear
This is one of my favorite waltzes. It brings back memories from my childhood. My mother always played this on the stereo.
Love the sheetmusic presentation! But more importantly I'd buy this recording. You play this so well. The only 'surprise' was the long fermata in the middle somewhere. It sounded as if you got lost. Thank you for playing and sharing!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2258961 - 04/09/14 04:17 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]

Waltz in E minor, B. 56 - dannylux
Wow. That's some energy. Technically demanding piece it seems. This is another waltz I don't know. It sounds as if you have a lot of fun with this piece. The arpeggios are convincing, although maybe to blurry. I experience the same with the fortissimo bass runs in the middle. But you make it work to fit it in the piece. I liked listening to your playing.

Waltz in E-flat major, B. 133 - maxmila
Lovely. This in my opinion should be last. The closing piece of this wonderful recital, to mull over the pieces played. smile
Well played.

Waltz in A minor, B. 150 - FSO
Personally, I'm not fond of interpretations like this. Don't take it personal please. I think the way you did it was really good. I'm certainly not able to play like you played this piece.
Thanks for sharing.

This concludes my comments on the pieces played. Thank you everyone for making this a killer recital. It was the first time for me and I will certainly joining more in the future (Tchaikovski is coming up!)

Also thanks to Joel for organizing this. Maybe it is indeed a good idea to sum all performances with their links in one post. That makes it easier to listen to the recordings for people not actively monitoring this thread.

Edited by chopinoholic (04/09/14 04:37 AM)

#2259021 - 04/09/14 08:03 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Waltz in E minor, B. 56 - dannylux

This is a demanding piece and you make a lot out of it. I appreciate your great level of contrast and rubato playing. Nice job!

Waltz in E-flat major, B. 133 - maxmila

You play with great sensitivity. Excellent performance of the right hand “duetto” parts. Thanks for sharing this.

Waltz in A minor, B. 150 – FSO

Sounds like a pretty complex piece. Very interesting to notice the extra ornamentation you applied. Your performance reminded me a bit on Gypsy music.

#2259461 - 04/10/14 01:41 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: chopinoholic]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: chopinoholic
[...] Waltz in E-flat major, B. 46 - Cinnamonbear
This is one of my favorite waltzes. It brings back memories from my childhood. My mother always played this on the stereo.
Love the sheetmusic presentation! But more importantly I'd buy this recording. You play this so well. The only 'surprise' was the long fermata in the middle somewhere. It sounded as if you got lost. ...

Well, as PW member BDB said once, regarding recitals, "Those who don't know your mistakes don't need to be told, and those who do know your mistakes don't need to be reminded." And so, I can neither confirm nor deny, yet you will notice at that point in the visual presentation the sudden appearance of a penciled-in fermata, as the horse has mysteriously freed itself from the cart and grazes in bucolic serenity until finally coming to its senses, realizing that there is work yet to do, and so finishes the course. wink

I'm so glad that it brought you a measure of joy, though, chopinoholic! smile Please feel free to download the mp3: laugh

https://app.box.com/s/tmb5fjrtqmvacl1qlun2

#2259482 - 04/10/14 02:52 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Cinnamonbear]

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted By: chopinoholic
[...] Waltz in E-flat major, B. 46 - Cinnamonbear
Love the sheetmusic presentation! But more importantly I'd buy this recording. You play this so well. The only 'surprise' was the long fermata in the middle somewhere. It sounded as if you got lost. ...

Well, as PW member BDB said once, regarding recitals, "Those who don't know your mistakes don't need to be told, and those who do know your mistakes don't need to be reminded." And so, I can neither confirm nor deny, yet you will notice at that point in the visual presentation the sudden appearance of a penciled-in fermata, as the horse has mysteriously freed itself from the cart and grazes in bucolic serenity until finally coming to its senses, realizing that there is work yet to do, and so finishes the course. wink

I'm so glad that it brought you a measure of joy, though, chopinoholic! smile Please feel free to download the mp3: laugh

https://app.box.com/s/tmb5fjrtqmvacl1qlun2

Hahaha. Well said!

Thanks for the mp3. wink

#2262952 - 04/17/14 07:55 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]

Woohoo, 100 playbacks of my recording. I never had an audience THAT big! laugh

#2267733 - 04/27/14 01:02 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Pover Offline

Loc: Jordan
Hey everyone, I'm new here. Sorry to bring up this thread as I know it hasn't been used in a while. First, i'd like to say that I've listened to ALL of your recordings, and all I can say is that you all sound really talented. It is quite motivating to be honest, you all sound really good smile

Anyway, I just wanted to ask about this whole e-cital thing going on here. This has really interested me as it seems to be a great opportunity to share your music and get great feedback from others. I was just wondering how often this is done? or is it just a once-a-year thing?

I know I can post any recording that I wanted feedback on in the members' recording sub-forum, but I was just wondering about this activity, and how often it happens. Thanks in advance, and keep up the great work, all of you!

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18
Chopin impromptu in Ab op. 29
Chopin nocturne op. 48 no. 2

#2267763 - 04/27/14 02:25 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Hi Pover and thanks for listening smile
There's one coming up in November, a recital of Suites. Members are playing either a full suite, or teaming up with another member to do a few movements each. That thread is available near the top of Pianist's Corner.
Over at the Adult Beginners Forum there are quarterly recitals. Those are not restricted to beginners. The comments tend to be more positive/encouraging and brief than the constructive criticism over here.
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2267789 - 04/27/14 03:15 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Pover Offline

Hey hreichgott, thanks for your answer. smile

I guess suites are too early for me as of now, since i'd rather learn a whole suite instead of just a few pieces from it. So basically, there are 2 recitals per year in the pianist's corner?

And I don't mind being criticized. On the contrary, it is very much appreciated, especially since i'm self-taught. About the ABF recitals, I just went over there to check them, but I only found the tchaikovsky themed recital. Do they propose a new themed recital every 3 months or am I missing something? Because in a thread discussing that upcoming recital, people were talking about all kinds of pieces; Beethoven, Mozart, and others. Thanks in advance for your help smile

P.S: I don't think you love Beethoven more than i do laugh

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18

#2267798 - 04/27/14 03:28 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Pover]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Pover

I do. grin

About themed recitals: the last three before the Tchaikovsky one have been the Mendelssohn Songs Without Words recital, run by Rostosky, the Chopin Mazurka recital, run by me, and this Nocturne and Waltz recital, run by JoelW.

Polyphonist

#2267819 - 04/27/14 03:46 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Polyphonist]
Pover Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

I do. grin

I guess we'll get to be good friends :P

So basically, the themed recitals extend over both sub-forums? I don't mind posting anything on the pianist's corner. I actually prefer getting criticized so I get a better idea of what to work on.

I was just reading something about open ABF recitals in which people post ANYTHING they want to record. They said submissions open in May, which is few days from now. Can I upload - for instance - Chopin's waltz in b minor (op 69 no 2) there and get feedback on it? Or are most pieces usually lost in the flood of submissions? Also, do advanced pianists check out those recitals or is it usually based solely around AB's?

Too many question I know hahahah :P i hope you find time to get back to me laugh

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18

#2267821 - 04/27/14 03:47 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Pover]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Do they propose a new themed recital every 3 months or am I missing something? Because in a thread discussing that upcoming recital, people were talking about all kinds of pieces; Beethoven, Mozart, and others. Thanks in advance for your help smile

The recitals in the pianist corner come up whenever someone gets an idea in their head to organize it. Some have even been hosted off-site.

#2267832 - 04/27/14 04:04 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Damon]
Pover Offline

Originally Posted By: Damon
Do they propose a new themed recital every 3 months or am I missing something? Because in a thread discussing that upcoming recital, people were talking about all kinds of pieces; Beethoven, Mozart, and others. Thanks in advance for your help smile

The recitals in the pianist corner come up whenever someone gets an idea in their head to organize it. Some have even been hosted off-site.

I see. So these are independent recitals and do not interfere with ABF themed or free recitals? Oh, and can you please point me to where some members host these recitals off-site? I think it'd be interesting to see what programs you guys come up with. I can probably learn a lot by hearing other non-professionals (not that i'm even half that good, lol) play and compare recordings, etc.

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18

#2267849 - 04/27/14 04:40 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Pover: these e-citals are great motivators and I have learned a lot in the past year+ since I first participated in my first (the Mendelssohn). I don't do the ABF quarterly recitals usually, but people do listen and if you request feedback you will get some.

I like the themed recitals because then there's usually a group of music by one composer where you really get to hear it all at once. Sure I could do this on youtube with random recordings, but to participate with other people that I at least sort of know on a forum helps to form bonds with those people, I think.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2267902 - 04/27/14 06:25 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Pover]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Damon

I see. So these are independent recitals and do not interfere with ABF themed or free recitals? Oh, and can you please point me to where some members host these recitals off-site? I think it'd be interesting to see what programs you guys come up with. I can probably learn a lot by hearing other non-professionals (not that i'm even half that good, lol) play and compare recordings, etc.

Several of the E-citals we've had have been hosted HERE

The PW member that runs the site isn't very active anymore and some of the links cause the flash player to crash. Among other things, there are 3 recitals devoted to obscure composers, a Liszt recital, a Beethoven recital, and (no doubt) some Chopin-y thing.

#2267922 - 04/27/14 06:53 PM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: Pover]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA

I was just reading something about open ABF recitals in which people post ANYTHING they want to record. They said submissions open in May, which is few days from now. Can I upload - for instance - Chopin's waltz in b minor (op 69 no 2) there and get feedback on it? Or are most pieces usually lost in the flood of submissions? Also, do advanced pianists check out those recitals or is it usually based solely around AB's?

Yes, those are the abf quarterly recitals. You can certainly upload that waltz! And there are pianists of many different levels involved in ABF, including some professionals.
People usually go out of their way to listen to and comment on as many submissions as they can.

As for the themed recitals, they happen whenever someone feels like organizing one.

Looking forward to hearing your playing.

Edited by hreichgott (04/27/14 06:54 PM)
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2268070 - 04/28/14 03:06 AM Re: 2014 Chopin nocturnes and waltzes recital [Re: JoelW]
Pover Offline

Wow laugh thank you all for your helpful responses and encouragement! I guess I'll participate in the quarterly ABF recital then. Hopefully I won't be a major disappointment :P Maybe next year I'll try a themed recital... Has anyone organized a beethoven one? I think it'd be a great idea.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help, seems like I'll be contributing here for some time then smile

Working on:
Schumann arabeske op. 18

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Kawai's CS series are hard to find..
by vcsel
12/19/14 06:14 AM
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
12/19/14 04:39 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159979 Topics
2349334 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission