Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2263543 - 04/18/14 01:51 PM Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Major
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
This is one of my all time favourite pieces of music and I wish to do it justice, so I'm starting this as a long term project.

Which are the most technically challenging measures? I would like to start with these first.
What sort of techniques would I need to develop in order to not butcher this piece?

Edited by noobpianist90 (04/18/14 09:53 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2263562 - 04/18/14 02:28 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: noobpianist90]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Sorry, I've never heard of this piece.

Polyphonist

#2263569 - 04/18/14 02:35 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: noobpianist90]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
Poly is being snotty because the piece is in D-flat major.

The piece as a whole is difficult, but I imagine it should seem pretty obvious to you that the hardest measures are the ones that sound the hardest - 51 & 52.

#2263571 - 04/18/14 02:37 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: noobpianist90]
Batuhan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Istanbul
learn etude op 25 no 6 first it would help

Edited by Batuhan (04/18/14 02:37 PM)

Published:
Waltz Op. 36 No. 1 in G-flat major,
2 Preludes, Op. 12 in D-flat major.

#2263574 - 04/18/14 02:45 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: Batuhan]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Batuhan
learn etude op 25 no 6 first it would help

That's not necessary.

Polyphonist

#2263577 - 04/18/14 02:46 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: MarkH]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MarkH

Don't you think someone should know that if they're trying to learn it?

Polyphonist

#2263580 - 04/18/14 02:51 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: Polyphonist]
Atrys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

You could have made the OP aware of the fact instead of saying something so snide to an innocent poster. You really are a lonely loser with nothing better to do than troll honest persons in the internet. Pathetic.
"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson

#2263786 - 04/18/14 08:47 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: noobpianist90]
noobpianist90 Offline

Ouch!
I was sleepy and didn't think while posting it. My bad.

#2263792 - 04/18/14 08:50 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: Atrys]
noobpianist90 Offline

Originally Posted By: Atrys
You could have made the OP aware of the fact instead of saying something so snide to an innocent poster.
Ah, don't worry about it. At least he's made sure I won't forget now grin

#2263868 - 04/18/14 11:20 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: noobpianist90]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's a pretty hard nocturne, despite starting out so gently.

If I recall correctly, you're self-taught, yes? And also fairly new, yes?

You might want to start with another nocturne to give you a more manageable toe-dip into Chopin. There's just so much to get comfortable with. There's this deep, sonorous foundation, the tempo give and take, and then you also have to be ready to deploy lovely lightness on the top at any moment--little runs, ornaments, flourishes. And there's the, uh, melody that has to sing out perfectly all the time. Weren't you the one asking about what "cantabile" means a little while back? So lots to do at once--so many elements to keep working together. The harder ones layer all of this on quite thick, with more than one voice going at once, and you don't want to be trying to fighting so hard technically that you can't experiment with what it takes to make a Chopin melody sing. Certainly not worrying about making two Chopin melodies sing.

I might pick one where the major issues are melody over a fairly manageable bass accompaniment, and see how it shapes up for you in terms of really working on that cantabile and essential rubato. It's so, so important and so, so hard to learn and execute well when there's too much else going on. There are only three I've even permitted myself to work on: C minor Posthumous, C# minor Posthumous, and Op. 72, No 1. There's so much more for me to do with them, but what's nice about them is that they're the most accessible in terms of getting to a place of moderate competence. It's only then that you can dig into what makes Chopin Chopin. Something I really hope I can start doing myself soon!

Think of it as investment in Op. 27. You'll need every last skill you learn with the other ones to play Op. 27, so it won't be time wasted. Plus, if you like Op. 27 so much, you won't be disappointed with any of them. The only thing better than some Chopin, is more Chopin. Well, usually. smile

Good luck!

Edited by TwoSnowflakes (04/18/14 11:28 PM)
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2263880 - 04/19/14 12:07 AM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: noobpianist90]
noobpianist90 Offline

Thank you TwoSnowflakes.

I have learned the Posthumous Nocturne in C sharp minor, The E flat major Nocturne op.9 No. 2 (still needs a bit of work) and the Prelude op. 20 No. 7 and I'm currently learning the Mazurka in A minor, Op. 67 No. 4.

I'm not actually new to the piano though, I've been playing for a while, but started taking it seriously fairly recently.

Yes, it is definitely an investment, and well worth the effort no doubt, but I guess you're right. If I'm not ready for the piece, it might do more damage than good. Hmmm...

#2264266 - 04/19/14 07:20 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: noobpianist90]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
There are some bars which have some finger-y challenges (like that bar with 48 notes in the RH), or double notes and various amounts of trills. But I think keeping the left hand pattern even, soft, supportive, and atmospheric is a real challenge in this piece.

I'm trying to move away from playing so much Chopin (starting to get tired of his stuff), but I can imagine myself learning this piece one day.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2264280 - 04/19/14 07:40 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: Kuanpiano]
noobpianist90 Offline

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
But I think keeping the left hand pattern even, soft, supportive, and atmospheric is a real challenge in this piece.
Yes I agree. I started working at measures 51 and 52 hands separately.

Quote:
starting to get tired of his stuff
Blasphemy! :P

#2264282 - 04/19/14 07:44 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: Kuanpiano]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I'm trying to move away from playing so much Chopin (starting to get tired of his stuff), but I can imagine myself learning this piece one day.

Do I what do. Write a yearly goal list with balanced repertoire from multiple composers. That way you can't overdo too much of one guy.

#2264355 - 04/19/14 10:55 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: noobpianist90]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I have to play a lot of concerts every year...so I think I get a good variety. I haven't done that much Chopin, but after doing Op. 39, 48, 52,53,54 and 58 I think I've played enough of him for now. I have long term projects, and other stuff which turns up. I think it works out alright in terms of balance. I'd like to play more modern composers (trying to find some time for Vine and Tuur).

Back to the OP, I think if you put a lot of work into your shading, this piece will help make you a very polished musician!
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2264483 - 04/20/14 07:31 AM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: Polyphonist]
Frankni Offline

Loc: UK

Not at all, I have played and play hundreds of pieces. Do you think I care about learning all their tag-numbers by heart? I would know these pieces if I heard them, that is more important, and if I need to know their ipc I will look in the book, or google it. Learning all the Kochels, Hoboken, BWVs and what have you by heart is among the same type of useless brainfiller as knowing who shot what goal in the European cup quarter finals between South-Tyrol and Poland at June 23, 1964. I swear those people exist. They are not quite unlike us.

#2264485 - 04/20/14 07:38 AM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: Kuanpiano]
noobpianist90 Offline

Back to the OP, I think if you put a lot of work into your shading, this piece will help make you a very polished musician!

Yes, I plan to work thoroughly on it. I'm not looking to get it done quickly. So, yeah...

#2264486 - 04/20/14 07:39 AM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: JoelW]
Frankni Offline

Originally Posted By: JoelW
That way you can't overdo too much of one guy.

Maybe try a girl instead! As they say in Holland: "Verandering van spijs doet eten" (which loosely translates as : Changing the dish makes you eat). But you still need to know how to operate fork and knife. Or chop sticks for that matter (I am in China atm).

Edited by Frankni (04/20/14 07:39 AM)

#2264495 - 04/20/14 08:15 AM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: Frankni]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Frankni

Not at all, I have played and play hundreds of pieces. Do you think I care about learning all their tag-numbers by heart?

But the key signature isn't the equivalent of "tag-numbers", it's an intrinsic part of the piece.

Okay, now that that is out of my system, I'll say that I've made the same kind of major/minor key identification mistake here, and lived to tell the tale. And further, I'll say that consciously remembering the key of a piece isn't a priority for me - that information is often so far down in my subconscious that I just am not aware of it.

And too, in a good number of pieces, the key identification is somewhat arbitrary. It might make an interesting thread for the technically-minded folks here - how do you know what key a piece is really "in" when there a many shifts within it, and it doesn't end in the key in which it began?

#2264519 - 04/20/14 10:25 AM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: wr]
prout Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wr
Originally Posted By: Frankni

Not at all, I have played and play hundreds of pieces. Do you think I care about learning all their tag-numbers by heart?

But the key signature isn't the equivalent of "tag-numbers", it's an intrinsic part of the piece.

Okay, now that that is out of my system, I'll say that I've made the same kind of major/minor key identification mistake here, and lived to tell the tale. And further, I'll say that consciously remembering the key of a piece isn't a priority for me - that information is often so far down in my subconscious that I just am not aware of it.

And too, in a good number of pieces, the key identification is somewhat arbitrary. It might make an interesting thread for the technically-minded folks here - how do you know what key a piece is really "in" when there a many shifts within it, and it doesn't end in the key in which it began?

Keys are signposts along the journey which pale in comparison to the journey itself.

Edited by prout (04/20/14 10:25 AM)

#2264589 - 04/20/14 02:21 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: noobpianist90]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
All this about knowing Kochel numbers, Hoboken numbers, Opus numbers and so on may be secondary information that one need not have at one's finger tips. However, if the piece in question is one that one is currently working on, it seems to be good practice - pun intended - to know what key it's in.

It's akin to driving and not knowing - or just choosing to ignore - what traffic signs mean!

#2264677 - 04/20/14 06:51 PM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: BruceD]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
All this about knowing Kochel numbers, Hoboken numbers, Opus numbers and so on may be secondary information that one need not have at one's finger tips. However, if the piece in question is one that one is currently working on, it seems to be good practice - pun intended - to know what key it's in.

It's akin to driving and not knowing - or just choosing to ignore - what traffic signs mean!

I have to disagree with that analogy - one can observe the sharps or flats of the key signature without knowing the name of the key. My first teacher never taught me the keys or circle of fifths, so for my first eight years of playing classical piano, I didn't know what key a piece was in. But I could still play Beethoven sonatas and Bach toccatas.

Once I did learn how to identify the key of a piece, it didn't make any noticeable difference in my understanding of the music. It was only when I acquired enough theory to gain an intellectual understanding of the basics of musical structure did it really begin to matter.

I am, of course, not arguing that one shouldn't learn the keys and how to identify them right away, but just that it's certainly possible to play a piece, and play it well, without having that information in the forefront of your mind. YMMV

#2264830 - 04/21/14 04:25 AM Re: Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor [Re: BruceD]
Frankni Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD

Yes, the key is important (mind you, some Bach preludes in WTK were written in two different keys), but the key you find at the beginning of the piece in the score itself. The number-this-and-that is just list number made up by a posthumous person, and these lists were sometimes organised on questionable grounds anyway. I am sure Mozart himself didn't know the KV numbers of his compositions. But I am sure he could play them well, and remember them in another way than through a numbering system. And I have no doubt he could turn them into any key if requested to do so.

Edited by Frankni (04/21/14 04:26 AM)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
105 registered (aesop, 36251, Allard, Abby Pianoman, Alux, 23 invisible), 1266 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156858 Topics
2304806 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
08/22/14 07:39 AM
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
08/22/14 03:14 AM
Tuning a piano
by johan d
08/22/14 02:14 AM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
08/22/14 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
08/22/14 12:38 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission