2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Our teacher arranged a concert for me and a girl i've been playing piano together for a while with, for next saturday, telling us to invite whoever we can. It's my first experience of this kind, I've never played at a concert where the only performers are me and a person i'll be playing with.

Together, we will be playing A great modern piece for 2 pianos - Tüür - sonatina c minor, it's about 6,5 minutes long.

But the whole thing should go for 45 minutes, or else it would really be too short to invite anyone to listen. We were supposed to play 3-4 pieces each and then the 2 piano piece, but the problem is, that the only thing she can play right now is the Mendelssohn piano concerto no. 2 Ist mvt. - 10 minutes long. That is, if her teacher, who should accompany her, is present.

I have to fill in the leftover 30 minutes, and these are the pieces i will be playing:

Rachmaninoff - prelude c sharp minor
Mendelssohn - etude op. 104 b flat minor
Chopin - etude op. 25 no. 2
Chopin - etude op. 10 no. 12
Beethoven - moonlight sonata Ist mvt.
Pärt - Partita op. 2 (atonal nightmare)
Grieg - wedding day at troldhaugen
Shostakovich - prelude and fugue no. I.

(Most of it is things i'm learning right now and am almost finished, some are pieces from 1-2 years ago that i still remember and can play decently.)

Thing is, The most pieces i've ever played at any recital/exam, is 4. I don't have any idea in which order i should play these pieces, should i arrange them by era, duration, genre? All advice is welcome.

Last edited by Svenno; 04/18/14 01:49 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Svenno
The only thing she can play right now is the Mendelssohn piano concerto no. 2 Ist mvt. - 10 minutes long. That is, if her teacher, who should accompany her, is present.

Perhaps you could accompany the Mendelssohn in addition to playing your program. One other thing - get rid of the Beethoven or play the other two movements.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
The only thing she can play right now is the Mendelssohn piano concerto no. 2 Ist mvt. - 10 minutes long. That is, if her teacher, who should accompany her, is present.

Perhaps you could accompany the Mendelssohn in addition to playing your program. One other thing - get rid of the Beethoven or play the other two movements.

Learning 20 pages of accompaniment in a week isn't going to happen, even with the sheet music, i won't be accompanying her.

Learning the last 2 movements of the moonlight performance-ready in just a week isn't going to happen either. I don't understand why you think one could not play the moonlight sonata 1st part separately from the rest of the sonata. I've already performed it once, seen other pianists perform it separately, and told by every teacher i've known that it's ok to play the 1st or 3rd part separately, just not the 2nd part.

Actually, what i asked for, was in what order should i play the pieces. I can't just get rid of/add any pieces, because this is my whole repertoire (which i've just begun building recently.) As i already mentioned, most of it is stuff that i'm learning right now, but the chopin op. 25 no. 2, the grieg, the Shostakovich and the rachmaninoff are from a year-two ago. It's all i got.

Last edited by Svenno; 04/18/14 03:18 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
What Schumann?

By the way, it's never a good idea to run yourself into a corner so that you have to stuff your entire repertoire into a recital and barely have enough, therefore no flexibility.

Perhaps I wouldn't object if it were a different Beethoven sonata, but playing the first movement of the Moonlight alone is simply too cliche, for lack of a better word.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
What Schumann?

By the way, it's never a good idea to run yourself into a corner so that you have to stuff your entire repertoire into a recital and barely have enough, therefore no flexibility.

Perhaps I wouldn't object if it were a different Beethoven sonata, but playing the first movement of the Moonlight alone is simply too cliche, for lack of a better word.

The Shostakovich, my bad.

Well, I didn't run myself into this corner. A week ago, our teacher told us about this idea of her, and we thought it would be a great performance experience for both of us, so why refuse? At that point, the girl i'll be playing with said that she has 3, maybe 4 pieces she could play, and i said i can easily find 3-4 pieces too, more if necessary, so we agreed. But apparently, that wasn't true, yesterday she notified me that she actually only has 1 piece (the mendelssohn 1st mvt) that she's ready to play. At this point, calling it off wouldn't be a good idea, since a lot of people have already been invited and everything has been arranged.

I think that playing the 3rd mvt of the moonlight alone is as much, or even more of a cliche than playing the 1st mvt alone, yet many pianists have played either of them alone, at recitals.

Could you finally Please tell me in what order do you think i should play these pieces?

Last edited by Svenno; 04/18/14 03:34 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I think that playing the 3rd mvt of the moonlight alone is as much, or even more of a cliche than playing the 1st mvt alone, yet many pianists have played either of them alone, at recitals.

I disagree, and which pianists are you talking about?

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Could you finally Please tell me in what order do you think i should play these pieces?

Mendelssohn, Grieg, Chopins, Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, Part.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Perhaps i was wrong about it, but i've seen one Estonian pianist (whose name i can't remember) play the 1st mvt as an encore.

Also, i've seen/heard plenty of fellow students of mine play the 3rd mvt separately in exams, but i guess it's not really the same thing as a recital. I might have something mixed up.

Last edited by Svenno; 04/18/14 03:42 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

I won't answer your question until you've stopped ignoring mine.

Make sure you're right before you post things like this.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mendelssohn, Grieg, Chopins, Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, Part.

Thanks. I love it how you purposefully left the beethoven out, even though i told you numerous times that there's no way i can leave it out of the program, but never mind, i'll probably play it before the mendelssohn.

Last edited by Svenno; 04/18/14 03:46 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Perhaps i was wrong about it, but i've seen one Estonian pianist (whose name i can't remember) play the 1st mvt as an encore.

Also, i've seen/heard plenty of fellow students of mine play the 3rd mvt separately in exams, but i guess it's not really the same thing as a recital.

It isn't.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I love it how you purposefully left the beethoven out, even though i told you numerous times that there's no way i can leave it out of the program...

Why can't you leave it out? Your program is already enormously lopsided, and that will make it more so, but it would still be better than playing it.

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I love it how you purposefully left the beethoven out, even though i told you numerous times that there's no way i can leave it out of the program...

Why can't you leave it out? Your program is already enormously lopsided, and that will make it more so, but it would still be better than playing it.

Alright alright, i'll consider it, it would just make the recital 5 mins shorter but i guess that's not a big deal.

Also, could you please explain to me what you mean by "Lopsided" in this context? english isn't my native language.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Alright alright, i'll consider it, it would just make the recital 5 mins shorter but i guess that's not a big deal.

You don't have a single Bach, Scarlatti, Mozart, Haydn, etc, etc piece you could substitute to make the recital less lopsided (Romantic-heavy)?

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
a

You don't have a single Bach, Scarlatti, Mozart, Haydn, etc, etc piece you could substitute to make the recital less lopsided (Romantic-heavy)?

I don't, but many pianists (and this one i know for sure) have had concerts where they play only romantic works, only baroque works, etc. even only the works of one composer (e.g. all Rachmaninoff preludes). For example Joel Hasting's concert, where he played all the chopin etudes from op. 10 and 25.

So, is lopsided really a bad thing? or did i misunderstand something?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
But you're not doing a recital like that.

Regards,

Polyphonist
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
For students there's nothing wrong with playing single movements of multi-movement pieces. Polyphonist wishes they wouldn't do it, but everyone does, and there are even occasions where it is required smile Professionals wouldn't, but that's another matter.

I think that for maximum comfort in the short term you should really bring back pieces you mastered previously that are easy for you. Maybe some newer pieces on the program but don't pack the concert with recently-learned pieces that are a challenge for you to play. Surely you didn't begin your piano study with those pieces (and surely your partner didn't begin her study with the Mendelssohn.)

Sometimes students think of pieces from 2-3 years ago as unimpressive, but an audience is much more delighted by easier pieces that sound good than harder pieces you're stumbling through... and you will be much happier performing if you aren't stressed out by every piece!

Last edited by hreichgott; 04/18/14 07:11 PM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I absolutely second what Heather said. What would be wrong with a charming piece you played a few years ago? Certainly, you would play it better now, and there's NOTHING wrong--and everything right--with a simpler piece played wonderfully by an advanced pianist. It gives you an easy way to build a longer program while actually serving a terrific musical purpose by giving contrast and emphasis to some of your more difficult etudes.

A Bach invention? Something Mozart or Haydn?

Go simple and charming, then rev it back up with an etude. Play something open, baroque and structured, then hit 'em with Grieg. Maybe a slightly more uptempo prelude and fugue from WTC (but still something you're solid on), and then go Shostakovich prelude and fugue.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Wise words.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think that someone here is overlooking the facts that
- this is a suggested performance by the teacher for some friends of the performers
- this is an initial performance experience
- there is no time to learn new works, and
- this is not Carnegie Hall, for goodness sake!

Play what you feel comfortable with, whatever the so-called professional opinion is concerning single movements from multi-movement works.

The most important thing to consider is getting this performance under the belt as comfortably as possible which means, in my opinion, playing works that you know and feel able to play well under some stress. ,

As for "clichés" what first, second or even tenth student performance experience isn't laden with clichés? I don't know the Part or the Shostakovich, but putting the Beethoven in the middle of what seems to be a list of rather up-tempo pieces is not necessarily a bad idea.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission