2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Somehow I don't think that Katy has the same bass range as the Bosey.

Voicing by doggie -- Who da thunk it.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
@Keith D Kerman, lol...there is a lot of truth in a joke, that's what makes it funny (i.e., like Minnesota Marty's signature: it's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one)! And, with a 290, the capo section can often be outright ugly with screaming/stringy partials. I have often gone to extreme lengths with other 290s to tame down that wildness. :-D

And, BTW, that Steingraeber has a beautiful forward singing tone; thanks for sharing!

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

When I play, I play for myself in a smaller room, and my desire is to play softer than even she is playing. That is why we have different opinions, we are talking about different volume levels.

Dear Phantom,

I understand. Of course I chose a professional video of an artist playing in concert. I stand by my statement that, if they are well prepared, any of the larger Bosendorfer grands can be controlled to a beautiful pianissimo in any space.

I am sorry you haven't had that experience and I respect your thoughts.

I currently have a Bosendorfer concert grand in stock - it is a 280 though, not an Imperial. I invite you to visit me in Philadelphia to see this first hand.

OR, if you like, I can make a short video from a smaller room that demonstrates the control that is possible.

Let me know if you would enjoy seeing that.

I am always happy to increase my knowledge about pianos, but I am quite certain we are talking about different dynamic levels here. I've played on well prepped 290s and poorly prepped 290s, but maybe you can do better.

I would love to come visit you. I am in California though, so it's a bit of a trip. I probably won't be able to make it until next month at the earliest. Actually that sounds like a really fun trip so let me see what I can arrange. I start a new job next week so my schedule is a bit unpredictable.

If anyone is vaguely interested in this topic, I visited Rich at Cunningham Piano, and his Bosendorfer indeed is easy to play, even at extremely quiet volume levels. I first played it softly, and frustrated that it was so easy ( smile ) I played even more softly. The notes stayed even no matter how softly I played until the sound was too soft to be heard.

Also perhaps worth mentioning, I measured the 290 with a sound meter, and the maximum sound wasn't actually higher in decibels than other pianos. It certainly is more powerful, and you can actually feel the sound in your chest when you play, but in terms of raw volume, it isn't appreciably louder.

Phantom,

What a blast to have you visit all the way from San Diego! I was glad to meet you, spend time with you, and hear your opinions on a variety of our instruments.

I hope you get a chance to stop back today before you fly out.

Cheers!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
That is a beautifully played Liebestraum and a lovely sounding Bose.
Although this thread is Bose 290 v Steinway D, I thought people here would enjoy comparing the Bose to a Steingraeber in the same music. The Steingraeber is nearly 2 feet smaller, but I think does rather nicely. Maybe we should start a new thread with these 2 videos. I think it is interesting.

Of course, the Bose has the advantage of the cute dog strategically placed to absorb some of the upper partials!

Nice piano!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I have heard recordings with Bösendorfer where the soft dynamics sounded just perfect. So, it might be that it is easier to play subtle on a Steinway, it is possible to play very very subtle on a Bösendorfer. I don't buy the "it is just an instrument with a good bass" thing.

Edit: lol, I missed the post of phantomfive, so my post missed its point.

Last edited by wimpiano; 04/20/14 08:12 AM.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wimpiano
I have heard recordings with Bösendorfer where the soft dynamics sounded just perfect. So, it might be that it is easier to play subtle on a Steinway, it is possible to play very very subtle on a Bösendorfer. I don't buy the "it is just an instrument with a good bass" thing.

Edit: lol, I missed the post of phantomfive, so my post missed its point.

Thanks. I'm going to have to add that if anyone thought I said, "the only good thing about the Bösendorfer is the bass," they really missed my point.

I'll reprise what I said, because I still think it's true:

"The most obvious characteristics of a Bosendorfer imperial are the power, the long sustain, and the extra notes. It is such a fun piano to play, you can feel the sound in your chest. The first few notes you play feel electric. The bass is clear and beautiful."

Poetry is rhythm
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I've played way more Steinway's than Bosies but in general my impressions are that the Bosie is very easy to play softly. The Bosie excels at allowing the pianist to express himself. Playing trills is so easy on the Bosie. I do not agree that the Bosie is more powerful than the Steinway in the bass. My impression has always been that Bosie is more suited to the softer music, or Bach and jazz such as in the Oscar Petersen style since the sound is more fundamental than the Steinway sound. I think a Bosie would be great for a piano trio also. I think a Steinway is great for the complex sound it gives and is better suited to music such as Rachmaninoff (my favorite composer). Thats the sound I prefer. The two actions are quite different, each with its own advantages.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Here's video I made in Feb. in James Bacon's PianoRecording.com studio in Sheffield in the UK.

youtube.com/watch?v=sX0icN-Kx9I

The piano is a Bosendorfer Imperial retrofitted with Richard Dain's Phoenix system. It's a wonderful piano!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission