2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2242580 03/07/14 11:34 AM
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Still championing student pieces. I found this in a "take if for free" box. It's a lovely piece, and I see online that it is still available for purchase.

Does anyone know anything about Alfred Cahn? I couldn't find any bio on the big wide web.

I admit that I made one change to the notation that I think was the result of a "typo." In the final broken chord, LH, I shifted the fourth up a line on the staff. To play it as printed made no sense (way too jazzy, wrecked the mood, and did not fit with where the piece had been to that point). Moving that fourth up a notch seemed to make it fall into place.

[Linked Image]

(Wish I knew more about theory. Oh, well. All in good time, I suppose...)

Here it is. On the Mighty Lester spinet in a somewhat ripened EBVT III tuning. I hope you like it:

Alfred Cahn--"Reflections"

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
On March 7, I have posted this recording, and today, more than a month later, there is still no reaction. frown

(Sorry, Tony007, I couldn't resist bumping this post after seeing your Haydn this morning. wink )

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Andy -

Try this link.....

http://www.emmanina.com/music.html#!/pageAboutAlfred

Apparently Cahn, a Holocaust survivor, is still living.

Beautiful little piece, BTW, and well-played by you - as always !!!!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Andy~
That's a great little tune and the delivery was wonderful. You play so relaxed and patiently, letting it breathe.

Hi Phil!!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

Online Content

Originally Posted by Inlanding
Andy~
That's a great little tune and the delivery was wonderful. You play so relaxed and patiently, letting it breathe.

Hi Phil!!

Glen

Hi Glen !! grin

Phil

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Glen!! Phil!! Thanks for listening and commenting. The "take it for free" box had a large assortment of practically mint condition student pieces that look to be somewhat "intermediate" or "early advanced" level. Some of the compositions are so so. But some of the compositions, like this one, have a lot going on and are definitely worth floating into the air. I shall champion them. grin I played "Reflections" during the offertory at church last month (this church has the offertory follow the sermon in its order of worship) and it fit the mood after the message in a rather profound way. (It never ceases to amaze me when the Holy Spirit says, "Just give me something to work with, o.k.?," and you cooperate, and then there is this profound, "whooosh." Hard to put into words, but I think you know what I mean.)

Phil, Thank you so much for that link! Wow! What an amazing life story to read. That's exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to know!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Andy,

This is a wonderful performance. The restful piece has a gently flowing melody, some beautiful altered chords, and lush harmonies along the way. Great playing!

David

T
T
Hi Andy, what a precious discovery! Of course you are right: I complained about my Haydn remaining without any reaction after a few days, but you had to wait much longer.... I'm glad to see that you got many feedbacks meanwhile smile

First of all: congratulations for your very tasteful playing, I think that you perfectly got the spirit of this music! It may gently "flow" under your fingers, sparkling in many soft colours!

I have to admit that I didn't know anything about this composer before. But as carey wrote, Alfred Cahn must be a survivor of the Holocaust? Maybe he wrote his "Reflections" after 1945? If yes, it would be more than remarkable to compose such a bright and innocent little "jewel" after all this....

Of course I had to compare the two versions of the end, and I think it wouldn't be so bad to play it as it has been printed.... The printed version sounds lovely as well to my ears.... But of course you were right to change it as it makes no sense to you!

Last edited by Tony007; 04/21/14 03:09 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
@RachFan--thank you for listening and commenting! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

@Tony007--The life story that Carey linked to is fascinating and difficult to read. Alfred Cahn endured brutal conditions, but kept hold of his love for music, even teaching children to sing in three-part harmony at one point of his horrific journey. I am not sure when "Reflections" was written, but the copy I have was published by Schaum in 1984. I agree with you that the final chord, as printed in the score, is a gorgeous chord. But it was so out of place that I could not bear to play it that way. Emotionally and intellectually, it was so incongruous with what had transpired that I even considered not playing the last chord at all until the thought occurred to me that it might be a typo. I have occasionally run into such misprints. I could be wrong, though, as I often am.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Bumping a worthier post.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission