Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#226411 - 09/26/07 02:05 AM Samick Sig-50
kwchang007 Offline

How are these pianos? A Samick 5 foot piano? For $3800 for a 4 year old piano, would it be a good deal? I know touch and sound are most important, but I just want to know what most people think, and overall how the quality is. If I don't like it, of course I'm not buying it, but I haven't seen it yet.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#226412 - 09/26/07 03:18 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
kwchang007 Offline

Anyone?

#226413 - 09/26/07 03:23 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
PSS Offline
500 Post Club Member

The SIG series is their Indonesian built pianos. In my opinion $3800.00 is too high when you can buy a similar model new for same. Just my opinion though.

Good Luck!

#226414 - 09/26/07 03:35 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
I agree with Terry. Here's a comp from eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140159701393&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

I have no experience with the seller, and I have no idea where you live. But on paper, this seems to be a better Samick at a better price.

#226415 - 09/26/07 09:01 PM Re: Samick Sig-50
kwchang007 Offline

Ok, thanks, I live near Baltimore md...personally I'd like to see the piano and play it, I'm kinda picky with the touch of a piano. That and my mom doesn't really trust ebay (ok....so I'm not buying the piano, lol)

#226416 - 09/27/07 09:01 PM Re: Samick Sig-50
EP Offline

Loc: USA
If you're looking at the SIG-50, be sure to check out the action.
I had an SIG-50 for a couple of years (built in 1998 or so) and I had a lot of issues with the action - finally had to get rid of it. Maybe it was just a lemon ...

#226417 - 09/28/07 12:41 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
I have worked on dozens of SIG50's. A decent entry level small grand. Out of the box they need considerabel prep that most dealers scrimped on. Your price seems ok to me.
Beware Terry Wilson's offer to sell you a "comparable" new piano for the same price.

#226418 - 09/29/07 10:00 PM Re: Samick Sig-50
PSS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigen:
I have worked on dozens of SIG50's. A decent entry level small grand. Out of the box they need considerabel prep that most dealers scrimped on. Your price seems ok to me.
Beware Terry Wilson's offer to sell you a "comparable" new piano for the same price. [/b]
Craigen,
First of all I wasn't making an offer, but giving my opinion in which the poster can make up their own mind.

Secondly, I think it is a little inconsistent to say the very least that you are willing to give the brand here in question a pass, in light of some of your recent remarks made here.

Lastly, since you brought it up. I do believe if a person can spend $4500.00 and get a new in the box Korean built baby grand piano with 12 year warranty, rather than $3800.00 to get a used Indonesian made baby grand piano then the asking price of $3800.00 is too much.

Sincerely,

#226419 - 10/02/07 12:43 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Terry,
Clearly you are here to sell pianos. I am not.

What "similar model" can the poster buy for $3800 new? Where?

Which "recent remarks" contradict my advise here?

#226420 - 10/02/07 01:02 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
kwchang007 Offline

Oh wow...forgot to say that we found out the person lived in Brooklyn NY not Brooklyn MD and advertised in the Baltimore section of Craigslist. Thanks for the imput though, but I'd have to say, my parents would probably rather put some more money in and get a Kawaii. Anyways, if you guys have any input on a 30 year old Mason and Hamilion...I have a new thread about that \:D

#226421 - 10/02/07 01:34 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
PSS Offline
500 Post Club Member

kwchang007,

If you can afford to move up to a Kawai I think you will be very happy. Good luck with your search!

Terry,

What "similar model" can the poster buy for $3800 new? Where?

Which "recent remarks" contradict my advise here?
[/b]
Craigen,

Clearly you have an agenda, or a problem with my company. You tend to appear on every thread that I post on, and always with a negative comment. Your first post here referred to a nonexistant offer. The question was on a price of a particular model. In my opinion it was too high. Turandot followed up with an eBay add from someone who had a Korean built model for close a thousand dollars less. To me that is a no brainer, but I'm not an idealog from this industry.

#226422 - 10/02/07 02:26 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Terry,

Though I am loath to go one more round with you, here goes anyway.

I have no agenda. My posts speak for themselves. There are many others on this forum who regularly attack you, your business model, and your products and representations. I don't not believe I am one of the more frequent ones.

If I have a problem with your company it only comes from the fact that I support B&M dealerships and that model.

Your post read:
"You can buy a similar model new for the same." It sounded like an offer to me.

Turandot's example came after your post. It was for a 2001 used piano. That does seem to be tasty for the money, but irrelevant to this issue.

As usual you choose to ignor my specifics i.e.
"What similar model can the poster by new for $3800? Where?"

Again you said:
"Secondly, I think it is a little inconsistent to say the very least that you are willing to give the brand here in question a pass, in light of some of your recent remarks made here."
Which remarks did I make that are inconsisten in your opinion?

You also said:
"Lastly, since you brought it up. I do believe if a person can spend $4500.00 and get a new in the box Korean built baby grand piano with 12 year warranty,..."
Sounds like another offer Terry.
Where can they get this? What brand?
Don't take me to task if you cannot defend your own remarks.

Terry,
We all get it. You are a businessman. You are a promoter. I don't fault you for that.
In this instance it appeard to me you were attempting to prey on a newbie with a need.

#226423 - 10/02/07 03:34 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
PSS Offline
500 Post Club Member

If I have a problem with your company it only comes from the fact that I support B&M dealerships and that model.[/b]

Well I do appreciate the fact you are honest in your agenda. I have no problem with you supporting B&M dealers, and the business model that comes along with it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have a differing oppinion though.

Your post read:
"You can buy a similar model new for the same." It sounded like an offer to me.[/b] Nope just a fact. Of course we are one source, and appreciate you pointing that out. ;\)

Turandot's example came after your post. It was for a 2001 used piano. That does seem to be tasty for the money, but irrelevant to this issue.[/b] Not really because eBay is only one of the many sources that a person could buy a similar model for less, and yes even sometimes new. Why wouldn't someone choose a Korean built model over the Indonesian model in this example, especially since the Korean built piano is nearly a thousand dollars cheaper?

As usual you choose to ignor my specifics i.e.
"What similar model can the poster by new for $3800? Where?"[/b] Well if I answered that I would be doing the very thing you were trying to accuse me of? :rolleyes: Why do you accuse me of doing something I am very careful not to do, and then ask me a question that could only be answered by engaging in the very activity you first accused me of? Let me answer your question this way. A person could buy a similar model for $3800.00 from anyone that has some for sell and willing to. These people could be found locally maybe, on eBay, on Craigs List, and online. If a person wanted to find this deal online with this particular maker, I'm sure they could. ;\)

Again you said:
"Secondly, I think it is a little inconsistent to say the very least that you are willing to give the brand here in question a pass, in light of some of your recent remarks made here."
Which remarks did I make that are inconsisten in your opinion?
[/b]
I believe on other threads of recent you basically said not to buy any piano that did not have the name of the factory on the fallboard. Then you went on to recommend a Knabe else where. You have then posted in numerous threads disparaging remarks about the Suzuki pianos, and then on this thread you give a pass to an Indonesian made piano of very similar quality. I have played, sold, and had numerous experience with both the Indonesian made Samick pianos, and the Chinese made Suzuki pianos. They are both excellent entry level pianos. They both cost about the same. They both are of very similar quality. Any FAIR MINDED[/b] person that has had experience with both would probably conclude that. So the question is why do you defame one, while giving a pass to the other? Why do you recommend a stencil by Samick (Knabe), and defame another stencil (Suzuki)? I think it is a little inconsistent, and I believe the only real answer is that one is sold online at a deep discount, and one is sold through traditional brick and mortar dealers.

You also said:
"Lastly, since you brought it up. I do believe if a person can spend $4500.00 and get a new in the box Korean built baby grand piano with 12 year warranty,..."
Sounds like another offer Terry.
Where can they get this? What brand?
Don't take me to task if you cannot defend your own remarks.[/b]
Nope, just a fact. Again you can check multiple sources and find Korean made 5' baby grands made by Samick for $4500.00. I would offer you to look at my site, but then that would come across as making you an offer? \:D

Terry,
We all get it. You are a businessman. You are a promoter. I don't fault you for that.
In this instance it appeard to me you were attempting to prey on a newbie with a need.
[/b]
Intersting term you use, "prey". How is it preying on someone by telling them to keep shopping becuase they can find a better price? How is it preying on someone when you tell them you can buy new, and better for not much more? How is it preying on someone to give them alternatives without defaming another brand?

I think it is preying on someone when you don't reveal who you are so that you can hide any agenda your advice might have. I think it is preying on someone to tell them to pay more for something than they should have to because it fits an idealog. I think it is preying on someone when you are willing to defame other brands, dealers, and suppliers for the express purpose of justifying a higher price.

I hope my answers were specific engough, any more and I would be making an offer. :p

#226424 - 10/03/07 03:40 PM Re: Samick Sig-50
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Samick is not a stencil piano. It bears the name of the factory. This is not inconsistent.

Now that I have said this, I will also say that I have never been affraid to contradict myself. I do endorse Wm. Knabe and have consistently on many posts. IMO I believe they are an exception to the stencil downsides.

You said:
"Indonesian made Samick pianos, and the Chinese made Suzuki pianos. They are both excellent entry level pianos. They both cost about the same. They both are of very similar quality. Any FAIR MINDED person that has had experience with both would probably conclude that."

I am a FAIR MINDED person with considerable experience with both and absolutely disagree. Suzuki is not an excellent anything! I am not out to defame you. I just calls em as I sees em.

In your original post you said:
"$3800.00 is too high when you can buy a similar model new for same."
Where can you do this? What brand?

In you last post you said:
"you can check multiple sources and find Korean made 5' baby grands made by Samick for $4500.00. I would offer you to look at my site."
If it looks like and offer to sell and walks like an offer to sell it is likely an offer to sell.
Sorry couldn't find ANY sites that support this.
Samick doesn't make anything in this price range in Korea and hasn't for years.

I am not justifying anything. I am not selling anything. I stand by my original post that in my region $3800 for the piano described seemed to be an "Ok" deal.

#226425 - 10/03/07 04:10 PM Re: Samick Sig-50
weazer Offline

Loc: Utah
Is anyone else curious to see if Terry will answer the question concerning his claim to a $4500 new Korean built piano?

#226426 - 10/12/07 05:43 PM Re: Samick Sig-50
signal Offline

Loc: Florida
I would be very interested in a new $4500 korean piano. By "similar model" I would assume 5-foot baby grand, or close to that.

Please let me know. If you don't say where to get it, at least say the make/model so I can include in my searches.

#226427 - 10/13/07 06:25 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
ShootCraps Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Crossette:
Is anyone else curious to see if Terry will answer the question concerning his claim to a $4500 new Korean built piano? [/b]
I'm curious as to why you and Craigen feel the need to crap on this thread by picking a fight.

#226428 - 10/13/07 09:40 PM Re: Samick Sig-50
PSS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShootCraps:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Crossette:
Is anyone else curious to see if Terry will answer the question concerning his claim to a $4500 new Korean built piano? [/b]
I'm curious as to why you and Craigen feel the need to crap on this thread by picking a fight. [/b]
Thank you SC. I have a fan base here on the forum that likes to follow me around on any thread I post and demonstrate why more and more people are less than enthusiastic about dealing with piano dealers. I think dealers that engage in constant dealer and brand bashing whether on the net, or in the store do it at their own peril.

Now to address the same question for the last time. It is very possible, and even frequent a piano shopper can purchase a Korean made piano for $4500.00 brand new with 12 year warranty, and with bench. I am so confident in the fact that I am willing to guarantee it. ;\)

#226429 - 10/15/07 11:54 AM Re: Samick Sig-50
PSS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Kwang,

Here is a 5'7 Korean built Samick that might be worth inquiring about? http://cgi.ebay.com/Samick-Ebony-57-Gran...1QQcmdZViewItem

I would try to stay around $3,500 - $4,000 any more and it would be worth looking at new.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (Almaviva, ando, adanepst, 51 invisible), 1511 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249288 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
Today at 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
Today at 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
Today at 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
Today at 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission