Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2264527 - 04/20/14 10:59 AM DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
prox Offline

I'm a happy new owner of a Kawai MP11, after being quite unlucky and having to return 2 MP10s and 1 MP11 (1 MP10 had no sound, 1 had stuck and mildly damaged keys, and the first MP11 had a several damaged keys).

After about a month, I noticed a new (fairly minor) noise coming from one key. Nothing worth returning (thankfully!), but I wanted to make sure there were no objects obstructing it, so I took off the front panel. There was nothing, and I can almost certainly chalk this up to the increased humidity from spring.

Unfortunately, the headphone jack cable is super short, and so I can't reconnect it before putting back the panel. There is not even 2cm of clearance, probably so that this cable never gets in the way.

Long story short, my options are to create an extension cable, or more thoroughly take apart the MP11 to connect that cable in the order intended. Has anyone taken apart their MP10 (the overall design looks very very similar) and has any advice or quick instructions? Since I don't use the headphone jack, this isn't really urgent. The cable looks much like a PC fan cable, but it's actually a little smaller, so I'd probably have to make my own extension cable.

As a side question, what are "normal" keybed changes over time, and do people eventually get these DPs regulated like an acoustic? My keyspacing is overall pretty good, but spring brought 2 key noises now (both liveable, even though I'm picky) and two very minor key raisings (< 1 mm, not very noticeable). My impression from lurking on this forum for a while is that when you introduce real wood, you have to accept some of the side effects that acoustics have with regulation.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2264538 - 04/20/14 12:08 PM Re: DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11 [Re: prox]
dewster Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: prox
The cable looks much like a PC fan cable, but it's actually a little smaller, so I'd probably have to make my own extension cable.

That's probably what I would do. Though make sure that it won't move around and get in the way of the key actions.

Originally Posted By: prox
My impression from lurking on this forum for a while is that when you introduce real wood, you have to accept some of the side effects that acoustics have with regulation.

It introduces a lot of bulk weight as well. I'm still not convinced wood is necessary for a realistic DP action, though the plastic ones out there don't strike me as overly optimized.

#2264692 - 04/20/14 07:41 PM Re: DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11 [Re: prox]
lolatu Offline

Loc: UK
Here is a thread "NEKID PICHURES (Kawai MP10)" that may or may not be useful. Google image search is helpful for things like this (and most roads lead to this forum!).

#2264793 - 04/20/14 11:45 PM Re: DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11 [Re: lolatu]
prox Offline

Originally Posted By: lolatu
Here is a thread "NEKID PICHURES (Kawai MP10)" that may or may not be useful. Google image search is helpful for things like this (and most roads lead to this forum!).

Thanks! I have been lurking for a while and thought I saw/found most of the main MP10 threads, but I either missed that one or forgot about it. It's still not clear the minimum amount I'd need to take apart to get at the headphone jack, but it would definitely include that first large top piece.

An extension cable seems easiest, since even if I took everything apart, I wouldn't be able to address my little noise issue, as I have no experience with key regulation (I take apart computers routinely, but I'm not particularly mechanically oriented). Taking off the front piece just re-assured me there wasn't any foreign matter below the keys.

Of course, since I don't use the headphone jack, I'm also fine with just leaving it until something else needs professional servicing. That's why I'm curious if getting the action regulated is common (or inevitable) with wooden-key DPs, including models like the AvantGrand.

#2265484 - 04/22/14 07:46 PM Re: DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11 [Re: prox]
puff Offline

Loc: oxford UK

Inevitable - over time.

But a pretty long time. My 14 year old U3 upright has worn in well in the center of the key-bed - like a nice worn-in pair of old favorite shoes.
There is side to side key slop.Short of re-bushing the keys a dodge is to turn the front-rail pins a bit with pliers (off the key axis) to take up the gap.
If the keys are slanting just put a bit of wood to the top of the pin and tap with a hammer.
Key heights are adjusted by adding or removing paper/card washers from the balance pin in the key center.

Its not rocket science.

Because I play finger style guitar I have gouged the wood just underneath some of the sharp keys - so keep your nails trimmed.

Sounds like you may have bought a 'Friday' afternoon unit. grin

#2265608 - 04/22/14 10:56 PM Re: DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11 [Re: prox]
Marcos Daniel Online   content

Loc: Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
Upload photos please!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
SF Symphony pianist at Steingraeber recital / reception
by master88er
Today at 03:31 PM
Ferdinand "???" Piano from Vienna?
by TheloniousPunk
Today at 02:20 PM
Anything better than a Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 01:40 PM
Uneven piano keys
by shah
Today at 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
Today at 03:43 AM
Who's Online
154 registered (alfredo capurso, anamnesis, accordeur, ajames, 39 invisible), 1611 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76631 Members
42 Forums
158443 Topics
2326861 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission