Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2263502 - 04/18/14 12:04 PM Re: Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money? [Re: talfi composer]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Let me know when there is a Cliff Notes version of this thread.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2263514 - 04/18/14 12:38 PM Re: Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money? [Re: talfi composer]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Does lucky inheritance count?

#2263548 - 04/18/14 02:01 PM Re: Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money? [Re: talfi composer]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: talfi composer

I'm an optimist guy, but as I said, alone I will not succeed.

This reminds me of a saying that I like: Most of the problems in the world are caused by optimists.

Not that I think this idea is going to cause problems, because I don't really think it going to get off the ground.

That is, it won't unless you find some especially dumb mega-rich person who would fall for the gimmick, and I have no doubt there is some potential for that. Rich people aren't necessarily smart, after all. But simply finding and gaining access to them would be difficult, to put it mildly, and secondly, I think the manner of presentation of the idea counts for at least as much as the idea itself, perhaps more. Maybe the way to go is to sell it as the lead item in the Neiman-Marcus Christmas catalog, which would at least solve the problem of finding dumb rich people.

#2263703 - 04/18/14 06:10 PM Re: Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money? [Re: talfi composer]
talfi composer Offline

@Steve Chandler:
Actually, I'm listening to all arguments and taking them in account, and I made some adjustments.
It's clear to me that from what I read, none of the posters will help me. Sad for me.
However, to answer your question, for the sake of the otherwise interesting discussion:

Quote:

Why would anyone pay $1,000,000 for something that typically sells for $1 (a MP3) and is easily copied?

One would not do that, I'm not selling an audio file, I'm selling a unique handwritten score.

@Nikolas

Quote:

In music the .wav (.mp3, .off, .flac, .mid, .aif to name a few) is NOT the art.
It's a digital file that represents one possible performance of the music (if we're talking,
as I said, about classical and jazz).

Well, I agree, the wav is not the art, however it's the closest way to capture it (that and/or a video).
Actually, a video is better I think.
If you were listening to an audio tape of a piece by Chopin, and you knew Chopin itself
(which obviously is not possible, but just for the sake of the discussion) was playing,
would you be more delighted that if it was played by another piano player? Probably.
So even if it's not the art itself, it still has more value when performed by the artist itself.

So, maybe the sound, or video, if they are authentic (for instance a video of erroll garner),
would just be the context to accompany the handwritten score (well, in the case of erroll garner, there is no score
by him, from what I know, but you get the idea).
So yes, wav is not the art, and then I will ask you this:

is the whole package (handwritten score + audio context) worth being in a museum?

Thank you for the data you're sharing about other ways to get big money.

@EM Deeka
Sure, I won't create another link (because it may be seen as a spamming action), but if you read
the whole discussion again you'll find what you're looking for.
I have made 5 compositions so far, the latest being the best:
fly me to the moon, happy birthday, clair de lune (moonlight sonata), tico tico, when you wish upon a star.
I had no intent to set a price on them at first, but then I wanted to have some fun and try something unusual.
Hope you enjoy them.

@Polyphonist
... I'm not a bad guy ...

@wr
Quote:

Maybe the way to go is to sell it as the lead item in the Neiman-Marcus Christmas catalog

Well, that's an interesting idea, we simply need one person to do it.
Maybe a bunch of person acting the same way with the a leading cause would be more efficient.

Edited by talfi composer (04/18/14 06:19 PM)

#2263991 - 04/19/14 09:26 AM Re: Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money? [Re: Damon]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: Damon
Let me know when there is a Cliff Notes version of this thread.

talfi wishes to become rich by composing music and has come up with a foolish scheme. Several of the regulars here have pointed out obvious flaws in the plan, but talfi has a rebuff for every point.

Until Charles Dickens shows up and writes an ending this could go on for pages.

#2264037 - 04/19/14 11:05 AM Re: Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money? [Re: talfi composer]
phantomFive Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Of course, you need to also consider that your 'best composition' is a generic (but fun) jazz arrangement of a song that is still under copyright.

No one's going to pay a million dollars for that, and even if they do, the copyright holder will sue you and take it all and more (like the Rolling Stones did with Bittersweet Symphony)

#2264069 - 04/19/14 12:43 PM Re: Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money? [Re: talfi composer]
talfi composer Offline

Ok guys, today I learned something new:
I've found this page:

http://todayilearned.co.uk/2012/06/14/th...old-at-auction/

At the end of that page, we found that

In 2003, a working manuscript of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony sold for £2.1 million (more than $3 million) at
Sotheby’s in London.

Another "good news" for us, music composer, is:

Quote:

The handwritten lyrics to Elton John’s and Bernie Taupin’s song, “Candle in the Wind” were
sold at Christies auction house in 1998 for a who
pping £278,512 (almost $450,000).

Also related to the original discussion here, it seems that some museums already show some interests
about collecting music:

http://countrymusichalloffame.org/ContentPages/exhibits-and-collections

Considering all your remarks,
especially @Steve Chandler:

Quote:

Billionaires make investments

I have to admit that my plan sucks.
My little sister told me this which I believe is true (and is close to some of your advices):

when your are known as John Lennon (for instance), then anything takes immediate value.
Therefore, billionaires are more willing to pay the bills if you are as famous as john lennon.
Actually, they would basically buy anything from such an artist:

Quote:

In 2000, pop star, George Michael purchased John Lennon’s upright Steinway Model “Z” piano, on which he wrote “Imagine”, at Fleetwood-Owen’s online auction for £1,450,000 (approximately $2,243,974).
After his purchase, Michael returned the piano to the Beatles Museum in Liverpool so that generations of fans could enjoy it as well.

A personal note here: George Michael purchased the piano, and then returned it.
How philanthropic is that?
Another example that shows that everything becomes possible with philanthropy.

So I will revise my kickstarter project, it will not be about the "score device" anymore.

So the obvious solution, as said earlier by some posters (sorry if I didn't understand that right away),
is to become a well known player first, like an idol.

My kickstarter project however is an other alternative to this, and I'm willing to share it with you guys,
but let me please lay it down first, and until then it's top secret.
I will post it here when ready...

Edited by talfi composer (04/19/14 12:49 PM)

#2264567 - 04/20/14 01:41 PM Re: Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money? [Re: talfi composer]
talfi composer Offline

Well, finally not, I will stick to my normal life.
My plan, for those who are interested by the topic, was to create a website where:

- artists would be able to register and manage their own portfolio (so that they can use the site in a professional manner)
- some events are organized to define who's the best (most entertaining) artist on the internet, alike "America's got talent" if you will,
but on internet only (so that every folk with a camera device can participate).

I'm finally not doing because I planned to ask sponsor from philanthropic people, to pay the 10 best artists with interesting prices.
But after talking to a few people, it seems that philanthropic might not be as generous as they seems to be (or maybe they are, but that I can not tell).
So I won't risk my job for that, at least now.

I think this idea has a lot of potential though.

Edited by talfi composer (04/20/14 01:42 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ferdinand "???" Piano from Vienna?
by TheloniousPunk
10/23/14 02:20 PM
Anything better than a Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/23/14 01:40 PM
Uneven piano keys
by shah
10/23/14 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
10/23/14 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
10/23/14 03:11 AM
Who's Online
137 registered (anotherscott, ajames, accordeur, anamnesis, 34 invisible), 1615 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76623 Members
42 Forums
158442 Topics
2326835 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission