2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
You know, there's something I've been missing about this argument. I never made any initial statement. I merely pointed out the irony in one of Joel's.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
You know, there's something I've been missing about this argument. [i]I never made any initial statement.

Fair enough; my post is directed towards anyone who actually believes classical music is objectively "superior" to other forms of music.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
See my above post.

We were writing at the same time. Read your post.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Atrys
JoelW is right.

In order for classical music to be objectively superior, you need a mechanism to determine was defines superiority. Since this mechanism is a product of human thought (opinion), it follows that you cannot say classical music is objectively superior to anything.

Anyone who does not see this is living in a fantasy world that does not abide by the rules of logic.

thumb

The problem is that people keep arguing the unarguable.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Don't you understand? The "better" isn't out there. It doesn't objectively exist. It's all in your head.

The idea that something objectively exists "out there" is all in your head, i.e., it's subjective.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wr
I think this little myth you like to flog about how it works is rubbish. I've never met a single person outside of the classical music community who felt they were too stupid to partake. The music doesn't particularly appeal to them and they just aren't interested - that's all. Just like I'm not particularly interested in country and western, for example.

I agree that it may be as simple as a difference in taste. But over the years I've also heard many people say things like "it's way above me", "too complicated", "I can't understand it", "too much work", "too snooty", etc. In other words, they seem to be intimidated by both the music and the culture that surrounds it. And frankly, I think that many classical music fans would just as soon keep it that way.

Originally Posted by wr
One can't argue the music itself it not worthy of access if musicians themselves find it worth playing. The specious idea that "lack of accessibility may well be its most attractive attribute" is a classic philistine posture that attempts to explain away that which isn't understood.

I guess more emoticons are needed! I thought it was clear that I was being "tongue in cheek", but apparently not.

Originally Posted by wr
I'm not a musical masochist - I and many others actually enjoy the music you apparently dislike, regardless of whether you have any clue about how that might be possible.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Just because I don't have "any clue" about modern music doesn't mean I begrudge others the right to have their own musical tastes and enjoy whatever they care to listen to. I was expressing an opinion, nothing more.

Regards,
The Classic Philistine

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by wr

The idea that something objectively exists "out there" is all in your head, i.e., it's subjective.

This is a false statement which is probably the root of your obvious...cognitive dissonance.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

This is a false statement which is probably the root of your obvious...cognitive dissonance.

Why is it false? I'm pretty certain you can't prove that it is.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by wr

Why is it false?

I'll give you an example: gravity.

Gravity is an observed phenomena of our universe. It exists outside of the human mind, just like the Moon.

This is really simple stuff.

R. W. Emerson
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

Why is it false?

I'll give you an example: gravity.

Gravity is an observed phenomena of our universe. It exists outside of the human mind, just like the Moon.

This is really simple stuff.

That's not an example. Saying that it "is an observed phenomena" just points back to the subjective nature of observation, and you have no way of knowing if it exists outside of the human mind.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Love is an observed phenomenon (not "phenomena") but does not exist outside of the mental/emotional plane. Um...are you familiar with the certainty principle Atrys? It's really simple; you can't prove anything, you can't say the moon exists, you can't assert whether other people are conscious or not. This is fine. Um...all this means is that for you to start playing around with "false" and "true" requires very careful wording. The likes of which, I'm sure, most people wouldn't even care about, much less use frown
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by wr

That's not an example.

It is.

Originally Posted by wr

Saying that it "is an observed phenomena" just points back to the subjective nature of observation, and you have no way of knowing if it exists outside of the human mind.

That's not true. You have massive gaps in your thinking. The Moon exists whether or not there are humans to observe it. It doesn't matter if you think it's not there, it is.

wr, you're failing to follow extremely simple lines of logic. One can use this alone as a case against anything you assert.

R. W. Emerson
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FSO
are you familiar with the certainty principle Atrys? It's really simple; you can't prove anything, you can't say the moon exists, you can't assert whether other people are conscious or not

First of all, it's the uncertainty principle. Second, the fact that you even make this case is evidence enough that you do not understand Heisenberg's UP at all. Your claims are completely false, and if you actually understood the uncertainty principle, you'd realize that you cannot extrapolate it in the way that you are.

Here we have another case of someone making a false assertion based on poor understanding and reasoning.

R. W. Emerson
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

That's not an example.

It is.

Originally Posted by wr

Saying that it "is an observed phenomena" just points back to the subjective nature of observation, and you have no way of knowing if it exists outside of the human mind.

That's not true. You have massive gaps in your thinking. The Moon exists whether or not there are humans to observe it. It doesn't matter if you think it's not there, it is.

wr, you're failing to follow extremely simple lines of logic. One can use this alone as a case against anything you assert.

Oh, I follow your lines of logic easily enough - it's just that you haven't proved anything. You didn't prove the moon exists whether there are humans to observe it. You just think it is so, and thinking so is subjective in nature.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by wr

I follow your lines of logic easily enough

Clearly not.

Originally Posted by wr

You didn't prove the moon exists whether there are humans to observe it.

I don't have to. Thinking that the Moon doesn't exist outside of human observation is, quite literally, delusional and psychotic thinking. You're not in touch with reality and the nature of existence outside of the human mind.

This is very surprising to hear. Surely you realize that you're pretty much alone in this thinking? If you're so certain, approach the university nearest to you and assert your claim; no one will take you seriously.

This is borderline hilarious! It's hard to believe you actually think that things don't exist outside of human observation.

I'll give you another example, since you don't seem to have the creative intelligence to work through this problem on your own: if I place a video camera in a forest and walk away, then return and watch the footage on the camera, the footage will contain events and objects that transpired and exist outside of human observation.

Are you 12? How can you possibly think you're correct with your assertion?

R. W. Emerson
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

I follow your lines of logic easily enough

Clearly not.

Originally Posted by wr

You didn't prove the moon exists whether there are humans to observe it.

I don't have to. Thinking that the Moon doesn't exist outside of human observation is, quite literally, delusional and psychotic thinking. You're not in touch with reality and the nature of existence outside of the human mind.

This is very surprising to hear. Surely you realize that you're pretty much alone in this thinking? If you're so certain, approach the university nearest to you and assert your claim; no one will take you seriously.

This is borderline hilarious! It's hard to believe you actually think that things don't exist outside of human observation.

I'll give you another example, since you don't seem to have the creative intelligence to work through this problem on your own: if I place a video camera in a forest and walk away, then return and watch the footage on the camera, the footage will contain events and objects that transpired and exist outside of human observation.

Are you 12? How can you possibly think you're correct with your assertion?

Rant and insult to your heart's content, but you still haven't proved that anything exists outside your own mind.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by wr

Rant and insult to your heart's content, but you still haven't proved that anything exists outside your own mind.

You're failing to realize that I don't have to (even though I did). Others have done the heavy lifting so that when deluded people like you assert psychotic and irrational claims, you can utilize the powers of research to realize that your claims are false.

You are making a claim that is not backed by any evidence whatsoever.

Some members here seem to be afraid of knowledge and reason, and it's obvious you're one of them.

R. W. Emerson
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I wasn't expecting this thread to get this philosophical, but wr is right. There are only three things one can know.

1) I exist

2) Math and logic exist

3) I know nothing else except that 1 and 2 are true (and 3's infinite regress)

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

You're failing to realize that I don't have to (even though I did). Others have done the heavy lifting so that when deluded people like you assert psychotic and irrational claims, you can utilize the powers of research to realize that your claims are false.

You are making a claim that is not backed by any evidence whatsoever.

Some members here seem to be afraid of knowledge and reason, and it's obvious you're one of them.

If you think you don't have to prove it, you shouldn't have responded to the assertion.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
There are only three things one can know.

This statement is false.

For instance, we know that we are only able to communicate in this way via the facilities of the internet.

Wow, that was an easy disproof .

R. W. Emerson
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission