Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2262668 - 04/16/14 04:03 PM Re: The hardest song ever written [Re: phantomFive]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I must say, caters, your posts are rather amusing if nothing else.

Polyphonist

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2262675 - 04/16/14 04:18 PM Re: The hardest song ever written [Re: Vid]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: Vid

Ouch!!! I know someone who is the pianist equivalent of this woman.

I wish you'd leave me out of this!

#2262678 - 04/16/14 04:22 PM Re: The hardest song ever written [Re: phantomFive]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Sorry, Plowboy, that joke's taken. grin

Polyphonist

#2262710 - 04/16/14 05:57 PM Re: The hardest song ever written [Re: caters]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: caters
I once saw in a list of videos 2 pianos 16 hands. It is impossible to have 4 players on 1 piano so it is impossible to have 2 pianos 16 hands.

I've no idea of what you're on about in your second paragraph, so I've deleted it wink .

But in case you're interested, the world record for the largest number of musicians playing the same instrument simultaneously has recently been broken, in Manchester, England. Sixteen pianists joined forces to perform Ticcatoccatina, a five-minute work for 32 hands on one piano by Tom Harrold.

Check that out, baby! grin

#2262763 - 04/16/14 07:46 PM Re: The hardest song ever written [Re: bennevis]
caters Offline

Loc: Columbus, ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: bennevis
I once saw in a list of videos 2 pianos 16 hands. It is impossible to have 4 players on 1 piano so it is impossible to have 2 pianos 16 hands.

I've no idea of what you're on about in your second paragraph, so I've deleted it wink .

But in case you're interested, the world record for the largest number of musicians playing the same instrument simultaneously has recently been broken, in Manchester, England. Sixteen pianists joined forces to perform Ticcatoccatina, a five-minute work for 32 hands on one piano by Tom Harrold.

Check that out, baby! grin

How is it possible for 16 pianists to be playing on the same piano? I mean I can see how 16 pianists can play on 8, 16, or any number between those but 16 pianists playing 1 piano seems impossible.

Edited by caters (04/16/14 07:46 PM)

#2263177 - 04/17/14 06:03 PM Re: The hardest song ever written [Re: wr]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: wr
But about your comment - isn't it at least possible that someone else might find it musically interesting enough to attempt it, rather than just because it's "unplayable"? I rather like it in this very playable player piano performance, which was made by the person Ligeti entrusted it to (the sound quality of the video is not so great, unfortunately).

Didn't sound too bad in the beginning; in the end it became a bit repetitive. But then, so are lots of Bach preludes from the well tempered piano.

As for a living pianist attempting this: I was a bit reminded of Depardieu playing the piano in "Green Card". I guess someone could try to hammer a piano in a certain way, and lots of people couldn't tell the difference with the Ligeti.

Green Card scene (playing starts at ca. 1:50)

#2263179 - 04/17/14 06:10 PM Re: The hardest song ever written [Re: wr]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
And anyway, topics about "the most" whatever are inane by definition, since there is no way to determine "hardest", "greatest", "saddest", "best", etc.

To paraphrase a German football coach: The hardest piece is always the next one. wink

#2263563 - 04/18/14 02:29 PM Re: The hardest song ever written [Re: phantomFive]
caters Offline

The contrabass and Double bass are two names for the same exact instrument. Playing range = written range which for most instruments = sounding range but for things like the piccolo and contrabass it doesn't. The contrabass can play down to c in the great octave with an 8vb written but it sounds as if it is playing an octave lower than written. Thus my reasoning towards extended pianos.

As to the number of pianos needed to play Mozart's symphony no. 40 I realized that I don't need 14 pianists on 7 pianos. I can actually have 3 treble and 1 bass instrument per piano thus lowering it down to 4 pianos and 7 pianists but that is still a septet. Why my reasoning towards 3 treble and 1 bass per piano? Well there are fewer bass instruments than treble instruments in the orchestra and that ratio is approximately 3 treble : 1 bass.

This ratio and the 4 instruments per piano means that I can have all the notes of a quartet as a duet for 1 piano 4 hands

Edited by caters (04/18/14 02:33 PM)

#2263568 - 04/18/14 02:34 PM Re: The hardest song ever written [Re: caters]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The contrabass can play down to c in the great octave with an 8vb written but it sounds as if it is playing an octave lower than written. Thus my reasoning towards extended pianos.

grin

Polyphonist

#2263638 - 04/18/14 04:12 PM Re: The hardest song ever written [Re: phantomFive]
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Beam me up, Scotty...

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2263736 - 04/18/14 07:15 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: phantomFive]
caters Offline

Originally Posted By: phantomFive
Here's a sample from Ligeti etude 14-A, which is so hard it hasn't been played by a human. The tempo marking is very precise, half-note = 105.

Also, I think it would be unfaithful to the score to play it quietly, but that might just be my own personal interpretation. Try playing a bit of it.

8f's? Not possible unless you have a whole orchestra playing mezzo forte or something. Nobody could hit the piano hard enough for it without muddying the notes into a dissonant chord or worse, breaking a piano. For me what sounds forte is mezzo forte but what sounds piano is piano. Somehow my ears or my brain have the louder dynamics displaced so that mezzo forte sounds forte and forte sounds fortissimo. I am not getting deaf of these loud sounds like how Beethoven got deaf, just they are displaced so that there is a smaller gap between mezzo piano and forte than there should be. I have seen in musescore if you look at the dynamics window they have everything from 6 p's to 6 f's. Now how can somebody ever hear 6 p's on the piano or not get deaf from 6 f's on the piano.

Beethoven I do beleive not only got deaf of higher frequencies first but also of louder dynamics first.

Edited by caters (04/18/14 07:26 PM)

#2263738 - 04/18/14 07:16 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: caters]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Here's a sample from Ligeti etude 14-A, which is so hard it hasn't been played by a human. The tempo marking is very precise, half-note = 105.

Also, I think it would be unfaithful to the score to play it quietly, but that might just be my own personal interpretation. Try playing a bit of it.

8f's? Not possible unless you have a whole orchestra playing mezzo forte or something. Nobody could hit the piano hard enough for it without muddying the notes into a dissonant chord.

grin

Polyphonist

#2263766 - 04/18/14 08:07 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: Polyphonist]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

8f's? Not possible unless you have a whole orchestra playing mezzo forte or something. Nobody could hit the piano hard enough for it without muddying the notes into a dissonant chord.

grin

Break the piano on the first chord and that will solve the problem of playing the rest of the song

#2263768 - 04/18/14 08:09 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: phantomFive]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

A wise solution.

Polyphonist

#2263801 - 04/18/14 08:59 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: phantomFive]
caters Offline

breaking a piano is not wise. What is wise is letting an orchestra play this Ligeti Etude 14a instead of a pianist because orchestras can get much louder than pianos can.

Edited by caters (04/18/14 09:00 PM)

#2263806 - 04/18/14 09:03 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: caters]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

breaking a piano is not wise. What is wise is letting an orchestra play this instead of a pianist because orchestras can get much louder than pianos can.

http://youtu.be/9aO6_ONXp-Y

#2263812 - 04/18/14 09:06 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: caters]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

breaking a piano is not wise.

grin

Polyphonist

#2263892 - 04/19/14 01:07 AM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: Polyphonist]
phantomFive Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California

grin

Polyphonist's posts are getting shorter and shorter. Soon he is going to post comments without any writing at all.

#2263895 - 04/19/14 01:13 AM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: phantomFive]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Perhaps it's likely. But for some reason I feel the urge to respond to all caters' posts with the grin emoticon.

Polyphonist

#2264040 - 04/19/14 11:14 AM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: phantomFive]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

grin

Polyphonist's posts are getting shorter and shorter. Soon he is going to post comments without any writing at all.

!deednI |

#2264256 - 04/19/14 07:14 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: phantomFive]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Ligeti's etude no.14 is written for pianists, and the 14-A version is for player piano (if i'm not mistaken).

If we're talking about hard "songs", Christopher O'Riley's Radiohead transcriptions are insanely difficult.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2264335 - 04/19/14 10:06 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: Kuanpiano]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
Ligeti's etude no.14 is written for pianists, and the 14-A version is for player piano (if i'm not mistaken).

You are not mistaken. 14-A was published for player piano, with a live performer being "ad lib." option (which might well have been a bit of drollery by Mr. Ligeti, IMO).

The issue of dynamics is a non-issue. Dynamics within a solo piece are scaled to the instrument on which the music is being played. If a composer takes poetic license with them, that's a consideration, too, and literal-mindedness becomes a serious liability.

#2264505 - 04/20/14 09:36 AM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: Kuanpiano]
Brendan Online   content

Loc: McAllen, TX
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
If we're talking about hard "songs", Christopher O'Riley's Radiohead transcriptions are insanely difficult.

They're hard, but not impossible. Most of the stuff in there is pretty natural after you practice it for a while. They're a blast to play, though!

#2264700 - 04/20/14 07:51 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: phantomFive]
caters Offline

8 f's is impossible with a piano. The loudest I can get is 3 f's. forte is always the same number of decibels no matter what instrument and so a whole orchestra playing forte wounds like x decibels(where x is the number of decibels in forte) * number of instruments and so would hurt your ears. That is how come not every instrument plays forte in an orchestra.

#2264711 - 04/20/14 08:14 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: caters]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

8 f's is impossible with a piano. The loudest I can get is 3 f's. forte is always the same number of decibels no matter what instrument and so a whole orchestra playing forte wounds like x decibels(where x is the number of decibels in forte) * number of instruments and so would hurt your ears. That is how come not every instrument plays forte in an orchestra.

How old are you?

#2264713 - 04/20/14 08:16 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: wr]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

How old are you?

A question I have, with difficulty, long refrained from asking. grin

Polyphonist

#2264716 - 04/20/14 08:19 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: caters]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton

Sorry caters, but decibels work logarithmically, the piano/forte scale works proportionately; one does not map to the other without some scaling factor, i.e. the performer. Um...as such, a piece could be written with a thousand fortissimos and be possible to play with a single finger. I could be wrong...but I don't *think* I am...
Xxx

#2264752 - 04/20/14 09:52 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: caters]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
a whole orchestra playing forte wounds like x decibels(where x is the number of decibels in forte) * number of instruments and so would hurt your ears.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The equation you just advanced would suggest that 10 instruments playing at 100 decibels would be the equivalent of 1000 decibels. In reality it would be about 110 decibels.

#2264764 - 04/20/14 10:13 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: Polyphonist]
caters Offline

How old are you?

I am 15

#2264774 - 04/20/14 10:32 PM Re: The hardest piano piece ever written [Re: caters]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

How old are you?

I am 15

I'm surprised. My guess was about half that. wink

Polyphonist

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (ajames, accordeur, Allard, amin, 42 invisible), 1419 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157233 Topics
2309352 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Player Piano Bellows Question
by UnrightTooner
09/02/14 09:40 AM
do you memorize a piece when you learn to play it?
by Peter071
09/02/14 06:13 AM
Which classical (piano) music may I like?
by Stefo
09/02/14 05:50 AM
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
09/02/14 04:16 AM
First Recordings on the New Steinway!
by Markarian
09/02/14 04:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission