2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 6 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer gingko2
From Central Massachusetts
Piece Mama

The mp3 recording volume seemed fine. Almost a lullaby, isn’t it? This is a very thoughtful piece with some subtle contrasts that you bring out nicely. A mature rendition. You did a fine job in voicing and pacing. Super!

Performer earlofmar
From Australia
Piece Dolly Is Ill

Very nice! These slow ones look so easy on paper, don’t they? And after you’ve been playing them awhile, the phrasing and dynamics take on a life of their own. I feel like I fought a similar battle with my piece as you did with this. But the glory and drama of this poor sick doll was clearly evident in your playing. Very impressive for 15 months, I’d say! And I thought the Vintage D was outstanding. Well, well done.

Performer Richard (zrtf90)
From Ireland
Piece Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3

What an elegant lilting melody. Uplifting. Discerning. Easy to fall in love with this piece. There are a lot of contrasts and sub-plots. You did a great job with the nuances and I thought your playing was sensitive and steady. Hmmm, yes, I can hear some of the busy-ness of Bach. Great choice and superlative effort.

Performer ajames
From United States
Piece Op. 39 No. 8. The Doll's Funeral

I can’t help it. I have to sing along with this piece. Doleful. Sorrowful. Nice pacing. I hate it when a funeral march has a catchy melody –makes me want to learn it! I’m sorry about the doll but you did a great job honoring her. I learned a lot with my piece, and I bet you learned a lot with this one.

Performer timmyab
From UK
Piece Waltz op. 40 no. 8

It’s lovely! I doubt you struggled with it other than trying to bring it up to speed? You seemed to have little technical difficulty with it and the pacing was just right. Really, I think it’s delightful and a fine effort on your part. Very competent work of musicianship. Tchaikovsky surprises me again.

Performer jfmartins
Piece Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga

That witch is back again? The little sneak! She seems even more brazen this time and, maybe even a little dainty. I wonder what spells she is capable of? Very enthusiastic and mature rendition. A super job and very easy to appreciate and enjoy.

Performer MaryBee
From Cleveland, OH
Piece Berceuse, Op. 72, No. 2

Oh my, what a nice piece. I love how it begins. So moving and evocative. I think your Charles Walter acoustic plays a nice supporting role here, giving the piece an added dimension. I love the chord adaptations of the main melody. Nice arpegiated chords in the middle; they sound tough to pull off! They have a nice airy effect. I haven’t heard any other recordings of this before so your tempo sounds just right! You’re right – it’s beautiful. Very sensitive interpretation. Delightful! Thanks! Need to add this to my “to learn” list!

Performer Ganddalf
From Norway
Piece Meditation (Op. 72 no.5)

The word that comes to mind when I hear this for the first time is: “sophisticated.” Sounds like a bear to memorize, yet playable from the score? (Not me of course, still a junior sight reader here!) Ganddalf, of course, is no beginner and the playing highlights a mature piano background. Thanks for taking on the challenge and bringing it to us to hear. Tough trill! A supreme effort and very thoughtful.

Performer Rupak Bhattacharya
From India
Piece Op. 19, No. 4 - Nocturne

This is the first time I’ve heard this piece, and I am not feeling any of your concerns. I hear a confident rendition of a most compelling and beautiful work. Two years!? Gahh – you’re amazing! Great timing and nice sensitivity. It surprising that you would choose this thoughtful piece. How did you stumble upon it? Thanks for polishing it up for us. And another successful Vintage D recording! Keep up the outstanding work. I think you’re headed for a wonderful journey with the piano.

Performer Ganddalf
From Norway
Piece Quintuple waltz (op.72 no.16)

Hmmm, a pentagonal waltz. Works for me, I guess. (If you were dancing, it would be a five-step instead of a three-step?). The melody sounds quirky but how much of that is because we’re not used to this meter? I’m going to have to listen to this one a few times! Great job with this challenging piece.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 04/18/14 03:46 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
This is enjoyable. Here's a couple of comments to start with:

1. SwissMS/Doris - Song of the Lark I like the care and thoughtfulness with which you play - so unlike me laugh The result is such musicality and gracefulness - very nice.

2. sinophilia (Diana)- Italian Song Another one with great care and preciseness. This tune just trips along - fun.

3. Andy Platt - Autumn Song A lovely start, and it follows thru the piece. Wonderful for listening, especially calming on this day that I'm working for a difficult client :\

7. peterws/pyotr - Polka I used to go to the Wild Asparagus Ball, a costume party, with music by the Mostly Strauss Orchestra. This would have fit right in with their polkas. Lively and delicate. Not like the polkas in ski boots at the Rathskeller laugh

8. Richard (zrtf90) - German Song This sometimes had a mazurka feel, at the beginning, or a menuet feel, the second part. At any rate it made me imagine dancing, which is the highest compliment I can give. I liked it a lot.

I'll listen to more as I go along today, trying to deal with this trying time laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer Paul de Koning (chopinoholic)
From The Netherlands
Piece Chant elegiaque Opus 72 No.14

It seems like there should be a story that goes along with this one. There is an extravagance to it. One thing is for sure – you put a lot of work into it! It seems to be in a fairly simple AABA format and I liked the B section. Very sweet ending. Nice!

Performer Paul de Koning (chopinoholic)
From The Netherlands
Piece Un poco di Chopin Opus 72 No.15

This piece has some character to it. Very interesting choice of yours. The song has a flowing and melodic character that you handle easily. Some nice phrasing in the middle! I thought you did a great job interpreting the piece and bringing it off as a performance. Great job!

Performer jamie_vt
From United Kingdom
Piece Op. 39 No. 5. The Toy Soldiers' March

It sounds like you had a lot of fun with this piece. There were some parts that you played with great confidence and they really spoke nicely. A fine effort!

Performer Morodiene
Piece Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 1: Ruins de Chateau

The brooding bass chords, perfectly timed, drew me in immediately and I couldn’t leave after that. The piece really speaks musically. I love the chords at 1:00 and the slow crescendo just kind of creeps up on you. Great dynamics. The Petrof shines! Tchaikovsky’s work is a gem, and I thought you took full advantage. The pause at 3:45 is very effective. What a powerful movement! Stellar!

Performer Morodiene
Piece Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 3 Chants sans parole

This one sings from the start and provides some nice closure to the 1st and 2nd movements. A pleasing performance. Thank you for taking these on and bringing some elegant playing to the recital.

Performer Morodiene
Piece Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 2: Scherzo

Okay, on to the scherzo. After the drama of the first movement, something light-hearted is needed! Yet it’s still a technically advanced piece, and seems to tell a story too.
Whew – I’ve listened to the scherzo twice now and it has enough complexity to it that I’m not sure how I feel about it! It’s no little joke, that’s for sure. But it is a light-hearted story with a happy ending. Challenging! Great job.

Performer MrPozor
From France
Piece Mazurka
I didn’t mind the splices, they were hardly noticeable. This piece caught my attention at the start so I was happy to see someone pick it up. It does sound challenging. Yet moody and fun. You did a good job catching the character of the piece. A solid effort!

Performer carlos88
From Colorado
Piece Opus 37, No. 12 December: Christmas

You play with a joyful abandon and the piece moves along briskly. It’s an elegant interpretation. It’s pleasant to listen to and a welcome addition to your repertoire, I hope! I heard Oreo at 2:22 and thought it was my cat outside my window where she likes to perch. Had to go look! Enjoyed the waltz.

Performer ClsscLib
From Northern Virginia, USA
Piece The New Doll Op 39 no 6

What an odd little piece. Interesting syncopation and clever. Probably a lot of work for 49 seconds. But you carried it off nicely and I enjoyed listening to it. Great job!

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
And a few more:

9. Greener/Jeff - Chanson Triste You definitely got that Russian feeling right off the bat. Very nice. I liked the way you brought out the bass line, which has a nice melodic feel of its own several times.

12. AZ-Astro - At Church Very much "at church" - for a minute I thought it was Bach. Played with the reverent feel it needs. The pedal tone in the bass was really well-controlled.

20. Sam S - Barcarolle You're right, a sad sound. And if I'd been playing that tricky rhythm with the off beats in the RH it would have been even sadder. Well done. Cool rolling chords and fade out at the end.

22. earlofmar - Dolly is Ill I could see the frown on the child's face about poor Dolly. Played evocatively.

27. MaryBee - Berceuse The quietness of it was entrancing. A perfect way to wind up my work day and transition from exasperation to relaxation.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
PikaPianist, the waltz in F# is wonderful. Such panache. I've listened a few times smile

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my Seasons recordings. I had learned some of the other months previously but used this recital as a worthy excuse to pick up Jan and Feb. I think January is musically my favorite of the ones I've played, mix of "warm" and "cold" sections. February is indeed not easy but oddly it's the slower section that I found more difficult to get under my fingers.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Quintuple waltz (op.72 no.16) - Ganddalf:
I have no idea if Tchai intended any dancers to try this, but the quirky 5/4 time is interesting - I'd think that 3rd "beat" would have to be a quick one! You did a fine job in bringing out the melody very clearly throughout. Maybe work with some contrast in the accompaniment so that it really stays in the background rather than interrupting the melody. Sounded like a tricky little piece, but you handled it well!

Chant elegiaque Opus 72 No.14 - Paul de Koning (chopinoholic):
I love the sonority of your Pleyel - so rich! It does these rich low chords justice. The passion that you play with certainly gives it the forward drive in that middle section, very nice! You give it a very "elegaic" quality. The ending is very orchestral/concerto-like, now I know why you chose this.

Un poco di Chopin Opus 72 No.15 - Paul de Koning (chopinoholic):
Having only recently attempted my first Mazurkas, I can relate to the difficulty of playing these. There is actually a Mazurka in the theme and variations movement of the Tchai trio I'm working on, so he must have had some affinity to this little dance. So do you, it seems. Beautiful playing of the chromatic fast notes - I cannot believe this is after 3 months of lesson following a 17 year hiatus! Great playing.

Op. 39 No. 5. The Toy Soldiers' March - jamie_vt:
I appreciate your attention to the articulations - very crisp staccato just as one would imagine a toy soldier to be. Nicely done!

Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2:
I'm glad I was exposed to this piece. I've learned a lot about a composer that was sorely neglected in my studies in favor of more common ones. I always considered him more of an orchestral composer (despite the famous piano concerto). Now I have an appreciation for what he contributed to the solo piano repertoire, and so much more to discover after hearing all of these submissions!

Mazurka - MrPozor:
Another Mazurka! You give this a real dance-like quality, with that leap one beat one and landing for beat 2. I don't even know what a Mazurka looks like, but that it how it sounds from your playing. Well done!

Opus 37, No. 12 December: Christmas - carlos88:
Well, we all know how Tchai felt about Christmastime from his Nutcracker quite, and this piece for the month of December to me sounds like the excitement coming up to opening the gifts and discovering the Nutcracker under the tree. Masterful playing of this waltz-like piece. Haha, I heard Oreo and thought it was one of my cats or one outside! Of course, she had to make her debut at the quiet moment. Much better to be showcased as is her due.

The New Doll Op 39 no 6 - ClsscLib:
Ah, the prequel to Doll is ill and Doll's Funeral. We get to hear her when she's brand new and not all banged up from little Sally's relentless abuse of her. It sounds like a very joyous occasion. You played this little piece very well in spite of the "red dot".

As for the recording, some suggestions: it sounded as though the unit was too close to the piano. Was it on it? If so, you may want to set it on a nearby table. Also, play around the with recording volume. It's better to record low and adjust the volume higher on Audacity after the fact. With a few minor tweaks like this, you'll find what works and then next time it will be a snap to set up.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Chopinoholic Chant elegiaque Opus 72 No.14: This piece has a sense of grandeur. I really like your expression in the middle section! There is so much going on there, it would be easy for it to lose direction, but you do a beautiful job with it. Love those arpeggios, especially the huge one near the end. Wonderful playing!

Chopinoholic Un poco di Chopin: This is very much Mazurka like. I like the spicy feeling that you give it. Those are some impressive runs!

Jamie_vt The Toy Soldier: I like your nice crisp playing, with a sense of playfulness. Sounds like a fun piece!

Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal op 2 1: This is to a vacation spot? It opens with a brooding feeling, and then abruptly changes mood to joyfulness in the middle only to brood again. You present this beautifully in your playing. It took me through the contrasting emotions. Very nice!

Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal op 2 3. This one sings with feeling, and makes a nice closure to the other two pieces. It sounds like quite the undertaking to do all three of these. Truly a beautiful performance!

Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal op 2 2. This contrasts dramatically with the first piece. It reminds of riders on the hunt after the fox. It has a sense of elegance. Gorgeous playing.

MrPozor Mazurka: This one has a definite Russian character to it. Nice accenting on the up and down slurs! I can see the leaping dancers! I am impressed by your description of the recording process. It sounds pretty seamless!

Carlos88 December: Very nice playing of this festive piece. It has a sense of excitement of the season with upcoming parties and fellowship. It sound like quite a challenge, and you did a beautiful job with it.

ClsscLib The New Doll: This sounds like such a happy piece, to be followed by Sick and Funeral. It is good to know that Doll was once a happy girl. You played this joyous little piece very well!

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry for the dumb Q-- I'm new to recording - but what is Audacity and what does it do for us in recordings? I hope it's intuitive. I find neither piano nor software to be very forgiving to the elderly mind (mine, anyway).

Morodiene, I did have the Edirol recorder resting on the piano and loaded the file to iTunes and from there sent it to Greener. No tweaking. Besides having no knowledge of how to do it, I was out of time.

Many thanks for the encouraging comments! Looking forward to trying this again.

Last edited by ClsscLib; 04/19/14 11:26 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the comments!
Morodiene, I actually had only one lesson 3 months ago. Will have my next coming Friday. In those 17 years I kept on playing, but it was basically always the same stuff I've already played all those years ago. No new pieces.
Since I bought the Pleyel almost a year ago, the fire started to burn again. So I thought let's do a really hard piece and see what becomes of it. It is actually ridiculous that I started learning again with such a hard piece, but it's not going that bad actually. Maybe something for the quarterly recital?
Now I have so much fun playing with you guys, learning new repertoire, hearing others play, and having (hopefully a bit more frequent) lessons. I feel great!

Paul

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Here's my morning visitation to the recital room:

33. jamie_vt - Toy Soldiers March This was great! The accents gave just the right air of toy soldiers on parade. Well done.

34. Morodiene - Ruins de Chateau Wow! The contrast between the quiet and the bombast was startling! But I liked this piece, and loved the way you played it. The final quiet chord was perfect.

38. carlos88 -Christmas This was a perfect Christmas waltz - gas lights, candy canes, children watching from the stairs. Very nice.

39. ClsscLib - The New Doll I guess the new doll was a dancer. Perhaps the doll and the human pirouetted together. I liked the tempo on this - lively, but not frantic, always under control. And congratulations on your first recording.

Cathy

Cathy
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just stopped by to congratulate everyone on another fabulous PW recital. I've been super busy lately but I'm listening when I get the chance.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark (SwissMS/Doris) - You've kept the grace notes light and easy, nicely evoking the image of a bird singing.

Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song (sinophilia) - This is one of the few Tchaikovsky piano piece that I knew of before this recital, so it was fun to hear it again. You give it a playful feeling.

Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song (Andy Platt) - I can tell you love this piece; I think it is one of your strongest recital performances yet. So expressive, and such lovely phrasing!

Romance Op.5 (Ganddalf) - What a beautiful piece, and your playing is lovely. The mood change in the middle section was surprising and amusing.

Old French Song. Op 39 No 16. (Recaredo) - You play this so smoothly and fluently. I like the left hand harmony in this piece, so I appreciate that you give it just the right balance between the hands.

Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9 (PikaPianist) - This is the first time I've heard this piece, and I love it! Great ending. Now I have to go listen to a slow version to see how it compares to your interpretation.

OP 39 10 Polka (peterws) - LOL. That video was pretty funky, with your hands changing colors. It fits the music - very fun.

German Song (zrtf90) - So charming!

Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2 (Greener) - I enjoyed your playing. You convey the melancholy tone very well, yet don't let it sink too deep. Thank you for being our host for this recital! I truly appreciate the opportunity to get to know another composer.

Morning Song (zrtf90) - So nicely played. I hear a lot of hope in this piece.

Op 39 14 FolkSong (peterws) - Very nice! I really like the change in dynamics on the repeated phrases -- it adds a lot of interest.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Sorry for the dumb Q-- I'm new to recording - but what is Audacity and what does it do for us in recordings? I hope it's intuitive. I find neither piano nor software to be very forgiving to the elderly mind (mine, anyway).

Morodiene, I did have the Edirol recorder resting on the piano and loaded the file to iTunes and from there sent it to Greener. No tweaking. Besides having no knowledge of how to do it, I was out of time.

Many thanks for the encouraging comments! Looking forward to trying this again.

Hi ClsscLib, You can download Audacity here. It's a program with which you edit recordings ( mp3, wav, etc.). You can amplify recordings you made, cut out pieces (like trimming the beginning and end), and lots of other stuff.
It is quite easy to use.

Paul

G
Greener Offline OP

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Happy Easter! [Linked Image]

It is difficult for me to explain how much fun I have had contributing to the organization of this recital.

Of course I know I have a propensity to overdo things. Did you like the signature? [Linked Image]

Thank you Chris (Whizbang) for this fabulous flare idea.

I actually thought I did a good job of controlling myself for this recital. I had bigger plans … believe me smile .

Thank you all for listening and a special thanks to those providing comments and feedback on my submission. Your kind comments and encouragement, make me want to play better.

What a group of class acts brought together for this recital. Even the stapled and stitched presentations didn't notice on the front end. Rather, a constant steady improvement every time I hear you. And great to see the new folks. I hope to see you in many more to come. Really great job everyone.

For this recital I've decided to comment on all the odd # submissions. I was in the February Quarterly recital, the Joplin, this one of course and will be in the May recital. I can not offer much in the way of constructive critique, accept in a general sense but I have very much enjoyed listening to ALL submissions and congratulations on these fine performances. If I miss you on this round, please do not feel neglected. There is a 50% chance I will get you next time smile.

1) SwissMS/Doris
Thanks for jumping right up on stage with this show opener, Doris. Nicely played. Your enjoyment of this piece shows. It seems to me now, after knowing a bit more about the man, that Tchaikovsky did not lead a particularly happy life. Knowing this, sets me up emotionally for performance. Your performance here brings out the feel I would be striving to achieve. Great job.

3) Andy Platt
This is very good Andy. A beautiful piece indeed that I was not familiar with. I can see why you like it so much. You've taken great care in shaping this. Around the 2:15 and 3:00 marks are just gorgeous. Excellent.

5) Recaredo / Ricardo
Nice choice with this one. Yes, I very much enjoyed listening. My only suggest would be to dig in to those low base notes a bit more. But that is just since I got mention of this last time and am more sensitive to it. Otherwise, good to go. Nice job.

7) peterws/pyotr
You must be an incredibly good reader to take on this many pieces for one recital. At one point as submissions were coming in, I believe you, Richard and Ganddalf made up nearly half the roster. I wish I could come close to this pace of learning new pieces … working on that. Really fine playing and nice choice with this very cute piece.

9) Greener / Jeff
Clean up the bridge and clean up the close (to the score and solid chords.) Otherwise, good to go.

11) peterws/pyotr

Oh my, it is Peter again. This has the same feel as the last one. Light bouncy and happy is what I get from this. Love the brief hesitation on the close. Really good.

13) peterws/pyotr
Can see that this one may beg a little bit more work, but we know it is in the bag with a bit more time. I think it will be worth it. Its a great piece and not far off.

15) patH (Patrick Hollstein)
Wow, is your left hand recovered? A lot going on with the left hand in this, it seems to me. Clearly among the more challenging works to choose. Commendable job you've done here and excellent playing, Pat. Thank you for sharing.

17) Richard (zrtf90)
I would have to say “Morning Prayer” was my favorite among all of your entries here, Richard. All of them though, played with precision and care that shines through. A very cute choice with this one. Similar to a comment I made earlier ... I long to be able read at performance tempo. I'm very motivated to keep working on it, from results like this. Fine playing.

19) Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott)
Before even looking at your profile, the opening bar tells me we are dealing with a seasoned performer with this, Heather. This was a lot of work I bet. Clearly not insurmountable for you. For listening, my preference was toward the 1st movement over the 2nd. But, that is my beef for Pyotr. Fine playing and excellent job.

21) gingko2
Beautiful piece this is. As you mention, I think the discipline of preparing for and recording for these recitals, is the greatest thing since sliced bread for improving. This is very pleasant listen. Great job.

More to come …

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you very much Paul, Morodiene, Doris, Ajames, Sam, Pyotr, AZ Astro, May Bee and Jeff for your kind comments. They all are extremely appreciated.

I also wanted to thank all my mates in this recital, for making it possible. Three years ago I wouldn’t have believed that I could participate in a Tchaikovsky recital among such talented pianists. Once more I’m very impressed by the high level of this community, speaking of both technique and musicality. Taking part in these work teams is very inspirational to me, and encourages me to keep on practising.

My best wishes to you all.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I was away all last week so I'm just starting to listen. Such a wonderful theme!

SwissMS/Doris: Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark What a beautiful start to the recital. I really enjoyed the voicing in this, passing between the hands and the way the accompaniment was present but always quieter. Although the dynamic range is (correctly) limited, you make use of the range really well. Beautiful.

sinophilia (Diana): Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song It was over before I could start collecting my thoughts! I loved this, very jaunty, great moody, nice phrasing. Repeat it four times next time wink

Andy Platt: Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song I like my performance. My teacher says I'm my own worst critic but, in this case, she is more critical! This is what (roughly) she had to say: "It is very nice! Good job!! However your piano is a bit too bright! Maybe the recording from (here she names someone from the studio who hosted a workshop for us) would have been better. I think I liked it a bit more. Your piano doesn't give you justice concerning the phrasing. Also--your tempo was a bit too....free Don't forget we only need one tempo"

Ganddalf: Romance Op.5 You have a wonderful way of making a performance sound so natural, so perfect, it's incredible. I loved the subtle interaction between the hands - the phrasing was nicely done and the melody always clear. Great control of dynamics and tempo, particularly in the transition in the middle of the piece.

Recaredo / Ricardo: Old French Song. Op 39 No 16. There is a great sense of melancholy to this piece, it is very nicely phrased. These short pieces have so much in them and you brought that out very well!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Op. 37 March - Song of the Lark: SwissMS/Doris

Beautiful piece! I was a bit surprised by the sad mood of it because in our tradition the lark is a symbol of joy. I appreciate your sensitive and nuanced playing. The contrast between staccato and legato was great. And I couldn’t hear that you had any problems with the rhythm.

Op. 39 no. 15 - Italian Song: sinophilia (Diana)

What a fun and enjoyable piece to listen to! You play with humor and elegance and manage to make it sound “Italian”. I’m no expert when comes to technique, but looking at the video I get the impression that you have a very efficient way of playing. I can see no unnecessary movements or waste of energy at all. You are definitely capable of greater challenges.

Op. 37 No. 10 October: Autumn Song: Andy Platt

This piece appears in one album of Tchaikovsky piece of mine. And, yes, I have played through it. But I didn’t realize what a beautiful piece it is before I listened to your performance. I love the delicacy in your playing as well as the dynamics. I also was the owner of a Kawai K3 some years ago, but I never was able to make it sound as beautifully as you do. I’m really impressed.

Old French Song. Op 39 No 16. : Recaredo / Ricardo

Such a beautiful, sad melody! I really enjoyed listening to your performance. You managed to bring out both the “soprano” melodic line as well as the melodies of the accompaniment. Thanks for sharing!

Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9: PikaPianist

Another example of a great composition completely unknown to me! You performance of this valse-scherzo sounds flawless. Such an agility and elegance of your playing! Clearly your choice of tempo and character (as you say – detached and agitated) suits the piece very well. Just superb!

OP 39 10 Polka: peterws/pyotr

Very charming piece and very convincingly played. You play with great lightness and elegance and I assume that you have given the piece the character intended by the composer. I enjoyed your performance very much.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
German Song: Richard (zrtf90)

You absolutely succeeded in giving this charming piece the right character. Your performance brings forth images of people enjoying themselves and a brass band playing. Maybe a festival like the “Oktoberfest”? It was very enjoyable listening to it.

Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2: Greener / Jeff

So characteristic a Tchaikovsky piece! I love the beautiful harmonies you bring out with your Heintzman and your rendition of the melodic line. The coda makes me think about a motive in the 7th symphony of Prokofieff who clearly was inspired by Tchaikovsky’s works. I think your interpretation was great.

Morning Prayer: Richard (zrtf90)

This short piece is full of beautiful harmonies, and I can hear from your performance how fond you are of the music. You definitely succeeded in saying what you wanted through your playing. I really like this piece.

Op 39 14 FolkSong: peterws/pyotr

Very effective short composition with lots of folkloristic character! It was very enjoyable to listen to your performance. Particularly I liked the rhythmic finesse and the clear way you made it out.

At Church Op. 39 No 23: AZ_Astro

The harmonies and melodies of this piece make me think about music (always vocal) I have heard in Russian churches. You have captured the right mood and play with the expression and dynamics needed for this piece.

Impromptu op 72 1: peterws/pyotr

The pieces of Op.72 are all technically demanding (I realized this myself – a bit too late, perhaps). The impromptu is so very typical Tchaikovsky, and I think you did a really good job with it. I can’t spot any joints but really enjoyed listening. Particularly I liked the middle part. Very beautiful music!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Next!

Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3 - Richard (zrtf90)
Well played. You hold the beat nicely throughout the piece. It's a really nice piece to play, I'd guess. Very timid atmosphere.

Op. 39 No. 8. The Doll's Funeral - ajames
I like the buildup to the sforzando in the middle and you play the left triad's not to heavy. Well done!

Waltz op. 40 no. 8 - timmyab
Lovely light touch. Which is needed for this piece. Love the "voorslag" (don't know the English word for it. The little notes I mean) notes you played. And the "odd" syncopation in the middle section you played very nice.
Did I say you have a nice touch?

Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga - jfmartins
Nice to hear the witch again. Thanks for the cheerful witch which is laughing her pants off. smile

Berceuse, Op. 72, No. 2 - MaryBee
Gorgeous piece. I want to learn this too, to play for my daughters.
You played the 3 against 2 section lovely. It sounds like an echo. Thanks for choosing this piece!

Meditation (Op. 72 no.5) - Ganddalf
I think the biggest surprise of this recitel is (to me anyway) the entire opus 72. All pieces are so nice! I might start with op.72 no.1 and work my way through the book. There's a lot that can be learned.
This piece sounds daunting. It needs to be played with confidence and I think you did a really good job. The multiple voices are brought to attention without forcing them. Thanks for sharing.

Op. 19, No. 4 - Nocturne - Rupak Bhattacharya
First of all. The comments you made are not necessary at all. Never apologize for your playing again. I think you did a great job with this hard piece. The rubato in the beginning sounded really natural which is pretty hard to accomplish IMO.
For two years self teaching, you can be proud of yourself. Don't forget that! (preaching mode off)

Paul

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
PikaPianist: Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9 A wonderful performance of this very Chopinesque piece. I think your tempo choice was great - since you were in very good control. There is lovely phrasing and some subtle, but pointed rubato. I loved the transition to the middle section. A great change of mood.

peterws/pyotr: OP 39 10 Polka I think you've really captured the feel of this Polka extremely well. It positively drips with energy and vitality, nice phrasing and good control.

Richard (zrtf90): German Song A little miniature, delightfully played.

Greener / Jeff: Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2 A sad, but hopeful song perhaps - at least, that's the feeling you bring to the piece. You phrase the melody very nicely, particularly at the end of the sections. Very nice but watch the recording level because it clipped a teeny bit.

Richard (zrtf90): Morning Prayer Like some others, when this piece became available again I toyed with taking it on. Never did anything more than read it through but you show there are great depths to this very simple piece. Beautiful, nice tempo, great phrasing and a wonderful finish!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission