Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2256262 - 04/03/14 09:15 AM About the Blues scale
noobpianist90 Online   confused

Loc: India
I was under the impression the the Blues scale in C is
C Eb F Gb G Bb

I recently bought this book:
Modern Jazz Piano: A Study in Harmony and Improvisation
by Brian Waite

According to this book,
"In essence the blues scale is a modified major scale. It is formed by flattening the third, fifth and seventh but retaining the major third and perfect fifth"

C D Eb E F Gb G A Bb

I tried playing this but it doesn't sound very bluesy. So what is the right blues scale? I'm a bit confused now.

Piano & Music Accessories
#2256276 - 04/03/14 09:48 AM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: noobpianist90]
Lilia Ahmetzyanova Offline

It should be played: C - E flat - F - G flat - G - B flat - C
That's it. Only 6 keys, I think.
Strange, but I thought that blues scale is naturally a minor scale... The nature of blues is minor and not major. Maybe I'm wrong... .

#2256278 - 04/03/14 09:52 AM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: noobpianist90]
Kbeaumont Online   content

Loc: Virginia, USA
Actually both! The common blues scale is your version. But the added notes can be used too mostly as passing notes. For example try this lick:

Eb - E - G

Alternate with Eb - E - A

to get a fast rolling sound play the Eb with your index finger and the E with your thumb.

Alternate the G & A use your ring finger & pinky respectively.

You should hear a lick that is easily recognizable, its used a lot!
The 2nd,3rd & 6th scale degrees are great to insert into licks for color, but when moving up & down the blues scale for runs it is usually much better to leave these out.

The scale with the 2nd, 3rd & 6th added is sometimes refered to as the 'extended' blues scale.

Edited by Kbeaumont (04/03/14 09:54 AM)

#2256296 - 04/03/14 11:21 AM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: noobpianist90]

I think you're correct Lilia, the common blues scale looks to be derived from the minor pentatonic scale adding the flatted 5th.

Thanks for the clarification, Kbeaumont.
Improvising on the extended blues scale doesn't sound as appealing as the common blues scale though. Perhaps its a matter of taste...

#2256302 - 04/03/14 11:48 AM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: noobpianist90]
erichlof Offline

Hi noobpianist90,
Your first impression was right. You should shelve that book because what's printed in that passage is confusing and wrong.
A much better book is Mark Levine's Jazz Piano Book (which is pretty much the jazz piano bible).

C blues is indeed derived from C minor pentatonic. C minor pentatonic is:
C Eb F G Bb (repeat 8va...)
C blues adds a flattened 5th and is therefore:
C Eb F Gb G Bb (repeat...)

What's cool is that you can re-purpose this formula to play licks in relative Major keys. Say you are in C major (doing a Boogie-Woogie piece in C Major). You can now employ the Major Blues scale (which is of course this time is derived from the Major pentatonic).

C Major pentatonic: C D E G A
C Major blues: C D Eb E G A

This time as you can see, you add a flattened 3rd to the mix. This will sound good over a C major chord, especially C7. Good players will mix the two. For example, use the minor blues scale the first time through the tune, and then the next time around the form, use Major blues - mix it up.

Let's do a minor blues scale in A:
A C D Eb E G
Wait a minute, those are the same notes as the C Major Blues, just starting on a different note! That's what I meant about re-using the same scale formula for relative minor-Major keys. So the above works for C Major as well as A minor. If they share the same key signature, you can re-purpose the same blues-scale for both. Buy one, get one free!

Good luck in your blues endeavors. smile
-Erich

#2256325 - 04/03/14 12:34 PM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: erichlof]

Thanks a lot erichlof,

I just began learning the blues recently, and I'm having a lot of fun with improvisation. You're explanation is very clear and I understand much better now. I'm gonna start experimenting with this laugh

#2256337 - 04/03/14 01:08 PM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: noobpianist90]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
There's two different kinds of blues scales:
There's the major blues: C D Eb E G A
There's the minor blues: C Eb F F# G Bb

For the application of these scales over different chord progression, I recommend a book by Dan Greenblatt called "Blues Scales: Essential Tools"

Edited by Michael Martinez (04/03/14 01:09 PM)

#2258683 - 04/08/14 01:39 PM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: noobpianist90]
RonDrotos Offline

Loc: New York City
Yes, the major and minor blues scales given in some of the other replies are the norm these days.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that these scales evolved from a common practice that was actually not-so-common. Blues musicians played how they wanted, and things gradually got codified. In fact, the same process occurred with the 12-bar blues form itself.

I now look back and laugh at the time when I, as a teen in the 1970's, bought my first blues book (it was for guitar). I eagerly opened to the blues scale page, only to find that the author had included 11 out of the possible 12 chromatic tones. He explained that all these notes had been used by blues players, and therefore they should be included in the blues scale. This was worse than no help at all! smile

#2259145 - 04/09/14 01:42 PM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: RonDrotos]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: RonDrotos
as a teen in the 1970's, bought my first blues book (it was for guitar). I eagerly opened to the blues scale page, only to find that the author had included 11 out of the possible 12 chromatic tones. He explained that all these notes had been used by blues players, and therefore they should be included in the blues scale. This was worse than no help at all! smile

sometimes you see that on internet forums too. Someone asking for advice on how to improvise using scales or whatnot, and some joker saying "you can use all 12 notes to improvise."

#2259158 - 04/09/14 01:59 PM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: Michael Martinez]
RonDrotos Offline

Loc: New York City
I've seen that too. True, but useless advice (until you eventually figure out how to actually include all 12 notes, then it becomes obvious, right?)

#2262558 - 04/16/14 11:00 AM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: noobpianist90]
JamesPlaysPiano Offline

We've arrived at an interesting "place" regarding the blues scale... On one extreme, you can play using only the six notes of the minor blues scale, and you get a very distinct, authentic sound. On the other extreme, you can add so much chromaticism that the scale itself seems only to be "underneath," at the "core" of a melody. Both are very cool, and very valid.

You might find these to be helpful, if you'd like to hear the scale being demonstrated, along with more explanation:

The Blues Scale for Beginners
The Blues Scale for Intermediate Players
The Blues Scale for Advanced Players

Good luck!

James

#2263001 - 04/17/14 10:05 AM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: noobpianist90]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Of course you can also play blues in a conventional major or minor scale. There are no hard amd fast rules.

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2264584 - 04/20/14 02:09 PM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: noobpianist90]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Most improvisers don't just use one scale, which is why it ends up sounding like all 12 notes. Often though, you'll stick with one scale for a complete idea before switching to another. I'd suggest sticking to one scale at a time until you really know the sounds of each and can almost predict what a key will sound like before pressing it. Blues is based on pentatonic as others have mentioned, with a blue note added. So if you think of it from your key, the scales would be (blue note in parenthesis):

Major: 1 2 (b3) 3 5 6
Minor: 1 b3 4 (#4) 5 b7

1 and 5 will be the same in each one. Put on a blues backing track and play a while in each, getting a feel for their unique sounds. Eventually you'll be able to switch between them.

And for a little advanced practice, you can use a dorian scale to transition from major to minor and back again. A dorian scale has elements of both major and minor pentatonic and can be a good bridge.

Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2265165 - 04/22/14 02:43 AM Re: About the Blues scale [Re: noobpianist90]

Thanks guys, I've found that as I keep playing and experimenting, all the variants are starting to sound reasonably good. I agree, Brian, using the blue note repeatedly gets the real feel out of the improvisation. I am not very familiar with all the modes yet. That's what I'm gonna work on next. Thanks.

Does anyone else own "Modern Jazz Piano: A Study in Harmony and Improvisation" by "Brian Waite"?

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
calling all users of Ivory II American D
by dire tonic
10/22/14 08:29 AM
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
10/22/14 06:07 AM
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
10/22/14 05:10 AM
recording digital piano
by johan d
10/22/14 03:38 AM
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
10/22/14 01:10 AM
Who's Online
128 registered (ando, A Guy, anotherscott, accordeur, Arizona Sage, 29 invisible), 1420 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158410 Topics
2326324 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission