Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2266127 - Yesterday at 10:00 PM Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
jp2011 Online   content

For those who have played both an MP11 and VPC-1:

1. How much of a difference does the extra key length in the MP11 make in terms of playability and expressing the nuance of certain notes or chords?

For those not in the know, the MP11 features the 'Grand Feel' action, which is the flagship action found in Kawai's Concert Artist digital pianos. It has the longest key length. In contrast, the VPC-1 features a nearly identical but slightly shorter key length called the 'RM3 Grand II' action.

The only difference that matters to me between the MP11 and VPC-1 is the slightly longer action in the MP11. I don't care about all the mod wheels or pitch benders on the MP11 (which are completely absent on the VPC-1).

Is it worth paying $2800 - $1800 = $1000 more for the slightly increased key length?

2. Any difference between the repetition speed of the keys? Do the keys from one model rebound slower (a deal killer for playing fast songs like Listzt's La Campanella)?

Liszt's La Campanella, an example of the song I want to play (starts at 1:57).

Summary: Basically I'm wondering if the VPC-1's shorter key length might make me hit an upper limit on the kind of songs I can play.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2266134 - Yesterday at 10:22 PM Re: Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length [Re: jp2011]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
The short answer to your questions is the difference won't matter. You just have to work a bit harder when playing high up on the key (white keys in the area between the black keys). You can still play with nuance, it is just an adjustment you make.

If the only factor that matters to you is the difference in key length, then I don't think the MP11 is worth the difference in cost. If, however, there are other factors at play (i.e. onboard sounds, recording capabilities), then the longer key length may be enough to tip the scales in its favor. It was for me, but if those things aren't important then you will be very happy with the VPC1 as a means of playing advanced classical piano.

I went with the MP11 more because I wanted the convenience of onboard sounds and when I tried the GF action I was pleasantly surprised. I am an advanced classical player and while I noticed a difference between the RM3-II action and the GF action, I still really enjoyed the VPC1.

I'd say the difference is similar to playing on a heavy action piano and something less heavy. The VPC1 was almost identical to my Petrof concert grand, and the MP11 is slightly lighter than that when playing toward the top of the keys. There is NO difference in repetition of the keys. Trills are great on both.

Edited by Morodiene (Yesterday at 10:22 PM)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2266138 - Yesterday at 10:31 PM Re: Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length [Re: jp2011]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
thumb

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2266139 - Yesterday at 10:32 PM Re: Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length [Re: jp2011]
jp2011 Online   content

So would you say that, with either the MP11 or VPC1, that advanced classical pieces aren't limited by your piano (that is to say the piano does not limit your piano skill)?

I posted this on Gearslutz, and someone who played the MP11 commented that he wasn't able to play advanced classical pieces. Please tell me it's all okay!

#2266144 - Yesterday at 10:38 PM Re: Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length [Re: Kawai James]
GWILLY Online   content

Morodiene, curious about another comparison between the two. Have you tried playing software p iano via your MP11? I'm wondering if it maps as expressively to the sounds (as the VPC) or has any of that functionality? smile

#2266146 - Yesterday at 10:38 PM Re: Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length [Re: jp2011]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: jp2011
So would you say that, with either the MP11 or VPC1, that advanced classical pieces aren't limited by your piano (that is to say the piano does not limit your piano skill)?

I posted this on Gearslutz, and someone who played the MP11 commented that he wasn't able to play advanced classical pieces. Please tell me it's all okay!

You tell me:

https://app.box.com/s/4bphqub8a8xa9qqauc5j

Really, a good pianist can make even an out-of-tune spinet sing. Of course, you want something better than a piano that makes you work for every subtlety.

I find that either Kawai DP gets very close to the feel of playing a good, large, grand piano. Close, but not there 100%. Much better than playing a good upright. If you want to play a good grand, you'll have to pay the money to get that. But for under $3k, well, that's pretty darn good, IMO.

I honestly don't know what could cause someone to be unable to play advanced classical pieces on the MP11, except the inability or unwillingness to adjust; something you'd have to when when performing on any instrument that is not your own - acoustic or digital. So it seems like that person took that extreme stance for shock value, or maybe they really have trouble adjusting to different actions.

#2266151 - Yesterday at 10:40 PM Re: Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length [Re: GWILLY]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: GWILLY
Morodiene, curious about another comparison between the two. Have you tried playing software p iano via your MP11? I'm wondering if it maps as expressively to the sounds (as the VPC) or has any of that functionality? smile
Great question! I haven't had the time to fiddle with it (especially since I've been pretty happy with the on-board piano sound thus far). I expect that once I settle into my summer place in a few weeks I'll be a bit more experimental on that front.

My initial guess is that the MP11 is just as capable a MIDI instrument as the VPC1. Perhaps James can shed some light on that in the meantime.

Edited by Morodiene (Yesterday at 10:40 PM)

#2266186 - 17 minutes 43 seconds ago Re: Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length [Re: jp2011]
Marcos Daniel Online   content

Loc: Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
Originally Posted By: jp2011

This guy does not have any problem with a Roland digital piano, and many of us believe that Roland actions are a little inferior compared to Kawai's.

Edited by Marcos Daniel (16 minutes 57 seconds ago)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (A Guy, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, accordeur, ando, 39 invisible), 1448 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153690 Topics
2252942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
04/23/14 09:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission