Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2266335 - 04/24/14 09:16 AM Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor?
LeoPianist2014 Offline

Hello,

I'm looking for some good and structured method for self-studying. I had a look at Alred's and the likes but I'd like to concentrate on a classical music. So browsing this forum I found out there're mainly two resources available. Fundamental keys and Artistry at the Piano. Now the question is if someone here tried the latter one with or without a tutor and if yes what your thoughts are.

Thank you!

Edited by LeoPianist2014 (04/24/14 09:16 AM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2266548 - 04/24/14 06:04 PM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: LeoPianist2014]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I do not have experience yet. But... I'll let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.

The first level of this System is being shipped to me right now.
I have talked with Mary Gae and another PW member about this through email.

I'll pass on what Mary has said about learning on your own. If you will include the teachers materials, it is doable. In other words, study teaching what you are learning at the same time.
I'd like to include this thought here. A friend and co worker of mine. He got an assignment to teach a class on what we did for new employees in my department. He told me: "Geesh Ron! I thought I knew this stuff. (he did) But when you teach it, you really gotta know it." In other words.... If you learn something from the perspective of teaching it. You really learn it! I think Mary Gae knows this. Also she is happy if a person will end up teaching her System after going through it all.

Bear in mind. Mary Gae isn't just a teacher. She's a master teacher. Her and her husband wrote 90 books on learning music before they ever came out with this system. Other people bugged them to come out with a System because they liked their books so much. So they finally did.

Mary has told me she is seriously considering an: Online Adult Fundamentals Seminar.
I'm confident it won't be no run of the mill fundamentals seminar.

Edited by rnaple (04/25/14 07:38 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#2266649 - 04/24/14 09:59 PM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: LeoPianist2014]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: LeoPianist2014
...here tried the latter one with or without a tutor and if yes what your thoughts are.
Thank you!

The Artistry Series has been in print since the 80's. So there will indeed be many teachers and students who have experience with this method. You can check the Teacher's forum for some earlier references.

I have purchased the Primer Level of the series which is the starter kit of 90 page downloadable book. Self-teaching students are also advised to use the additional Part 3 meant for teachers. I plan to start with the Level 1 books soon.

Introduction to Music Parts 1 & 2, for Students Part 3, for Teachers

Level 1

Lesson Planning Using the 4 Levels

Edited by EM Deeka (04/25/14 09:36 AM)

#2267695 - 04/27/14 11:28 AM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: LeoPianist2014]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern, Northern California
I am an introvert and a frugal guy, but I recommend at least a few lessons with a good teacher, especially if you want to learn to sight-read.

Here's an excerpt from my blog describing something that I never would have discovered on my own:

Tip #2: Don't do a Reset with Each Chord
This is an example of how having a teacher can be better than doing it yourself. One day, Robin said, "Let me show you something. This is how you play this hymn." and she played it, imitating my style. "Now, this is how I play it." and she played it her way.

There was an "Aha!" moment, because I could see immediately that when playing like me, she was essentially removing her fingers from the keys, then "starting over" and finding and playing the next notes. When she played her way, there was this beautiful seamless flow from one chord to the next. That is, it was about moving the fingers in an efficient way from one set of notes to the next. It was partly an issue of fingering, but more an issue of using the changes of the notes rather than the new notes themselves to play the next chord.

------------------

You can see the whole post here:

http://pianosightreading.blogspot.com/search/label/29.%20Tips%20From%20%20My%20Teacher

Edited by TromboneAl (04/27/14 11:28 AM)

My Book: Becoming a Great Sight-Reader -- or Not!
My Blog: The Year of Piano Sight-Reading

#2267720 - 04/27/14 12:28 PM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: EM Deeka]
rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: EM Deeka
... Self-teaching students are also advised to use the additional Part 3 meant for teachers.

This so designed into the System that book 3 starts with page 96.

#2267736 - 04/27/14 01:06 PM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: rnaple]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: rnaple
Originally Posted By: EM Deeka
... Self-teaching students are also advised to use the additional Part 3 meant for teachers.

This so designed into the System that book 3 starts with page 96.

Indeed, the Introduction to Music Parts 1 & 2 for Students forms the first 95 pages.

#2267875 - 04/27/14 05:33 PM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: LeoPianist2014]
EM Deeka Offline

A supplement recommended by Mrs. George in one of the posts in the Artistry Alliance forums is the series from Schaum Publications
called Masters of Technic which is described as :

"a technic series that's FUN and melodious, derived from the 19th century masters!
Eminent Composers include Beringer, Biehl, Brauer, Burgmüller, Concone, Cramer, Czerny, Hanon, Krause,Loeschhorn, Streabbog, Wolff"

I am planning to use that with the Artistry Series.

Edited by EM Deeka (04/27/14 05:36 PM)

#2269724 - 05/01/14 05:09 PM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: LeoPianist2014]
rnaple Offline

I'm just starting on this. Watched the first DVD. Reading the books.
The DVD's show a group class she gives. At least that much so far.
Definitely self learner get the teachers materials.
Even after the first night of watching the DVD and going through the book with the class. Afterward it changed my view of looking at music.
My first impressions are holding true going through this. My mind is coming back together. Focus, fun, relaxed. Learning, remembering, comprehending. Not struggling anymore.
I was constantly fighting trying to get things in the last year. I'm beyond happy with this.

#2287728 - 06/09/14 03:17 PM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: LeoPianist2014]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
rnaple, where did you get the books from? I'm trying to find them and coming up distinctly empty-handed.

#2287740 - 06/09/14 03:42 PM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: PianoStudent88]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
rnaple, where did you get the books from? I'm trying to find them and coming up distinctly empty-handed.

I am pretty sure rnaple got them from the official web store at the Artistry Alliance Page Artistry Alliance Products

I was able to get some of the books used from ebay but bought others from the page above. If you subscribe to the newsletter, it often advertises special offers, the last one was during the MTNA conference.

Edited by EM Deeka (06/09/14 03:43 PM)

#2287771 - 06/09/14 05:17 PM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: LeoPianist2014]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Thanks, EM. I hadn't realized that site had a store as well. Great!

#2287908 - 06/10/14 12:37 AM Re: Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor? [Re: PianoStudent88]
rnaple Offline

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (36251, accordeur, aesop, anamnesis, 31 invisible), 1452 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75901 Members
42 Forums
156860 Topics
2304845 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Using the drum tracks on KAWAI MP6 piano
by Dr Jazz
Today at 08:39 AM
4K piano purchase question
by ConstantlyConfused
Today at 08:17 AM
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
Today at 07:39 AM
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
Today at 03:14 AM
Tuning a piano
by johan d
Today at 02:14 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission