Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2266844 - 04/25/14 11:22 AM Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling.
JamesJ Offline

I've been learning theory for some time, and yesterday I decided to learn to play my first song from a sheet.

I went for a track I enjoy, which is Force MD's Tender Love. It's an old R&B song which features mainly piano.

I am having some issues that I hope others can offer some advice with. I can read the notes from the sheet fine, but I am struggling with time. I seem to have no perception of relative time. For example how long to hold the notes down for. I know the theory of it and the value of each note, but playing it, even to a metronome is very hard.

Am I jumping in the deep end a little here? Should I start with something more basic?

Looking for some tips and advice to grasp this relative time thing.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2266862 - 04/25/14 11:49 AM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
EM Deeka Offline

Basic Timing for Pianists could be useful for you .

Have you tried practicing tapping the notes away from the keyboard ? I have found that a good exercise before starting to play.

Edited by EM Deeka (04/25/14 11:49 AM)

#2266865 - 04/25/14 11:53 AM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
When learning to read from sheets, initially, it helps to learn to read pitch and rhythm separately. Ignore the pitch and just try getting the rhythm right. That is, play the same note while getting the rhythm right. Then ignore the rhythm and try playing the correct notes in sequence.

If your confused as to how long to hold down the note, count out loud with the metronome and then hold the note while you're counting out loud. It helped me while I was starting out.

Edited by noobpianist90 (04/25/14 11:55 AM)

#2266868 - 04/25/14 11:55 AM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I would suggest finding a way in which you can play and build practical concepts in music one small step at a time.

Rather than reading a lot about music first and then trying to play a piece which may be complex, I would start by learning one note value and playing that. Keeping a steady tempo while playing quarter notes is an accomplishment. Then another note value, and how to change back and forth between the two note values keeping the beat steady. Then another note value, and so on.

Of course as you do this you will also be learning pitches and how to find them on the piano, and there are a variety of ways to do that.

#2266874 - 04/25/14 12:02 PM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
Marinelife Online   blank

Loc: DC/Maryland
Hey,

I would have a hard time with that as a first and only piece. I would have to do it incredibly slowly and in very small chunks before even thinking about the metronome. (I'm a beginner too, though.)

How about starting with an easy blues piece or two, so that you feel comfortable keeping time with the left hand?

I agree about the tapping. I have never used a rhythm book, but my daughter had one from the beginning. It's especially useful for low brass, but I think it's made her a much better musician in general.

Nice to meet you. Theory is cool. So is R&B. smile

#2266891 - 04/25/14 12:29 PM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
The short answer is that this piece will be a problem because a) you're trying to play a piano version of a song (sung!) where piano arrangements are notoriously approximate and fail usually to 'sit right' and b) the rhythmic base of the song is 16th notes in a light 'funk' style - or at least it would be if there were drums and bass to underpin the vocals and keyboards. Funk can be rhythmically as tricksy as it gets - not for beginners.

Stick to a resolution no finer than 8ths if you're just starting.

#2266894 - 04/25/14 12:33 PM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
DanL Offline

Have you tried learning right hand and left hand separately? I see nobody has mentioned it. I think doing so would help a lot.

Good luck!

#2266972 - 04/25/14 02:27 PM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Sort of adding to what Dire Tonic wrote, if you're playing from a standard lead sheet that has the melody and chord names writing on it, what's on the sheet is not going to be the piano part you hear in the song itself, because the melody on the sheet will represent the lyrics only. So if what you like about this music is the piano part, you're not likely to find that on the lead sheet, and that will make it harder for you to re-create the music just from the lead sheet. So you want to be aware of that when you're practicing.

Then the next step might be what Dan mentioned. Just because the lead sheet doesn't have the LH written in doesn't mean you can't work on the LH part alone a little bit. Especially if you're not sure what to play for the LH part.

Getting back to your question of relative time... Can you follow along (with your eyes) the lead sheet as you listen to the original song? If you can't, then I would say this might be too hard for you. If you can follow along, and you understand what you're seeing, then understanding the relative time isn't the real issue and instead the issue is probably more technical. So when you play it, you might slow it down quite a bit, or do other things to simplify it to accommodate your current playing level.

I don't know if this is helpful for you so I'll stop here. Good luck!

#2267076 - 04/25/14 06:22 PM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Another approach to reading rhythms without a ton of counting is to use a "follow a line going through the music" idea to start out. Basically, you focus on when notes are played together and when each hand has separate notes. You judge the length of a note on how much space is after it. The bigger the space, the longer the note.

It does help to understand and be able to count basic rhythms, but the idea here it to begin to FEEL rhythm. So often, before getting into specific note durations, I'll have people read through music while I place an index card on the music, moving it to the right as they play.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2267128 - 04/25/14 08:30 PM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana

Hey James, my take is if you will use your ears to help you solve the rhythm dilemma, you might avoid the deep end if you've played piano a bit. Can you sing this tune half as good as they are singing it? If so, I'd say set the sheet aside for an hour, and using block chords with the LH and one finger melody with the RH see what you can do with it. Tap out the beat slowly using the LH chords and listen for the chord changes coming up.

I might add, I suspect there are a lot of easier R&B tunes than this one to begin with.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2268194 - 04/28/14 12:21 PM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
Try Tempo Mapping the song on the score -----
I read your post and didn’t see where you wrote that you were playing from a “lead” sheet which is usually the chords that a player would use for a pattern along with accompaniment. Memorizing the chords would help there.
If it is so, finding the pattern of the song played would not be too difficult.
I’m assuming you are playing a piano score of the song that has the melody and bass (treble and bass clef).

Tempo mapping usually helps me a lot with difficult tempos/timing and afterward, humming it while playing .
I.e. see below
Use ticks for 16th notes and above instead of “1&2&….”.
see info below

Monday, April 28, 2014 (2)2

Monday, April 28, 2014 (2)1

#2268272 - 04/28/14 04:34 PM Re: Playing from my first sheet. Really struggling. [Re: JamesJ]
Oddsox Offline

Loc: not LA, California
Hey, big thanks to JamesJ for asking this and thanks everyone for your replies. I've only been practicing for a couple weeks, but I try to spend 15min with the metronome and my Dozen a Day book every time I sit down. Any longer and I want to toss the thing out the window. hehe I have to crank it down to 60 to do 16th notes and I still mess up a lot. hehe The metronome calls that Larghetto which I think is Italian for an old man walking down a street full of potholes? :P

I love it when you guys (EM Deeka) mention books, since it gives me an excuse to hit up the local music store. Even if it's a few bucks cheaper online, I like to get it at the local shop in hopes they stay open. The shop I used to love to go to back in NY closed decades ago.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (36251, acortot, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1410 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76037 Members
42 Forums
157217 Topics
2309118 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
09/01/14 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
09/01/14 05:39 PM
Arrangers Comparable to Marilynn Ham Suggestions
by Hunt
09/01/14 04:13 PM
Bach well tempered clavier vs goldberg variations
by hag01
09/01/14 04:09 PM
Why are pianos measured by external dimensions?
by smrkdown
09/01/14 02:11 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission