Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
143 registered (A Guy, AndyP, accordeur, Anne'sson, AndreiN, 45 invisible), 1515 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2266705 - 04/25/14 02:41 AM Student growing tall
pianoplayer84 Offline

I have a student who has grown...quite possibly an entire foot... in the last year. His playing has come to a halt and even regressed slightly. I'm fairly sure the growing is the root of the problem, but I don't know if it is the cause for such a stand-still in his playing ability. He is 14, and is probably 6'2. What can I do to help him adjust to his rapidly growing body and hands? He is a very talented individual and I don't want to see him give up.

Originally posted this question in a different forum and was told this one would be more helpful. First time using the site smile

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2266774 - 04/25/14 08:00 AM Re: Student growing tall [Re: pianoplayer84]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Welcome to the Teacher's Forum! laugh

That is an interesting question, but wow, to grow a foot in a year, you are right to consider this a part of the issue. Not only physical changes and awkwardness, but the emotional changes getting confident in a new body.

First, however, I'd make sure he's practicing and find out how he practices. That is usually the root of all lack of progress. I don't think drawing attention to the fact that he's grown will help even if that plays a part in this. Instead, address it like, "we're playing much harder music and so the demands are different than it used to be."

Be very encouraging, and when preparing for a recital or performance, then you can address things like standing tall when walking to and from the piano, etc. Of course, don't let him slouch while playing, instead tell him how much better he looks when he sits with good posture.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2266913 - 04/25/14 01:07 PM Re: Student growing tall [Re: Morodiene]
jdw Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

First, however, I'd make sure he's practicing and find out how he practices. That is usually the root of all lack of progress. I don't think drawing attention to the fact that he's grown will help even if that plays a part in this. Instead, address it like, "we're playing much harder music and so the demands are different than it used to be."

Morodiene,

I'm curious why you think it wouldn't be helpful to mention the growth as a possible factor. I would have thought it could help--because it seems to me likely that the student is aware of lack of progress and could be getting frustrated. Having a possible cause that doesn't involve blame to him (and is temporary while getting used to growth) might be a relief.

Of course, I'm sure you're right that practice habits are likely contributing too.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2267008 - 04/25/14 04:15 PM Re: Student growing tall [Re: pianoplayer84]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
I grew almost that much in one year. It didn't slow me down in the least, so I would say other factors are at fault here.

#2267020 - 04/25/14 04:33 PM Re: Student growing tall [Re: pianoplayer84]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Many boys quit piano at age 14. It's an age thing, not a height thing.

#2267078 - 04/25/14 06:28 PM Re: Student growing tall [Re: AZNpiano]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

Exactly!!!

#2267124 - 04/25/14 08:19 PM Re: Student growing tall [Re: pianoplayer84]
hreichgott Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Everyone is a clumsy mess during growth spurts. Just work at whatever pace you can, and assure yourself (and him) that it will pass.
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2267172 - 04/25/14 11:00 PM Re: Student growing tall [Re: jdw]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: jdw
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Morodiene,

I'm curious why you think it wouldn't be helpful to mention the growth as a possible factor. I would have thought it could help--because it seems to me likely that the student is aware of lack of progress and could be getting frustrated. Having a possible cause that doesn't involve blame to him (and is temporary while getting used to growth) might be a relief.

Of course, I'm sure you're right that practice habits are likely contributing too.

I'm thinking more in terms of awkwardness. If you go through so much change all at once, someone who is sensitive to how things feel (more tactile learner) would definitely be thrown off by this. Not only that, but the emotional impact as well.

#2267174 - 04/25/14 11:03 PM Re: Student growing tall [Re: Gary D.]
Polyphonist Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Gary D.
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

Exactly!!!

+1 to that. I never had a problem.

Polyphonist

#2267193 - 04/25/14 11:49 PM Re: Student growing tall [Re: Morodiene]
pianoplayer84 Offline

He practices a minimum of two hours per week, and loves to play. He also plays tuba. I of course encourage a little more practice, and it very well could be that he is not practicing efficiently. I was just curious if the growth factor could contribute to some of the issues he is having. One of the things I am noticing is that he often moves too high or too low on the keyboard when there is a pattern like in a Waltz/Nocturne form where the first beat is lower with an octave+ hand position change for the following chord. I have asked him if he is enjoying playing and enjoying the pieces we are working on and he very enthusiastically states he loves to play and loves his pieces.

#2267200 - 04/26/14 12:53 AM Re: Student growing tall [Re: pianoplayer84]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think the growth factor could have an impact. I once had a student who improved from age 6 to 13 and then actually regressed until she quit at about 15. It was the strangest thing. She practiced fairly consistently, but simply lost dexterity and the ability to focus. I could only attribute it to her age and the effects of peer pressure.

#2267254 - 04/26/14 06:16 AM Re: Student growing tall [Re: pianoplayer84]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
I agree with the others who think physical growth isn't the main factor. While I understand the thinking... my experience just doesn't support it. I didn't experience that difficulty when I grew and I haven't observed it with my students either.

There are definitely challenges associated with that age, however. Emotional, peer pressure, changing school requirements, etc.

#2267256 - 04/26/14 06:24 AM Re: Student growing tall [Re: pianoplayer84]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: pianoplayer84
He practices a minimum of two hours per week, and loves to play. He also plays tuba. I of course encourage a little more practice, and it very well could be that he is not practicing efficiently. I was just curious if the growth factor could contribute to some of the issues he is having. One of the things I am noticing is that he often moves too high or too low on the keyboard when there is a pattern like in a Waltz/Nocturne form where the first beat is lower with an octave+ hand position change for the following chord. I have asked him if he is enjoying playing and enjoying the pieces we are working on and he very enthusiastically states he loves to play and loves his pieces.

Sounds like you've got excellent music selections for him, then. Good work on that!
Practicing leaps is something all it's own. Try some practice with eyes closed might help the leaps.
I don't think he's getting anywhere near enough practice if he's serious about it. At his age, if it's important to him, 2 hours a week is very little time. For a recreational pianist an hour a day might be reasonable, which of course is 7 hours a week. If he really enjoys music, 2 hours a day might be a reasonable goal.

#2267540 - 04/26/14 10:15 PM Re: Student growing tall [Re: musicpassion]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: musicpassion
Originally Posted By: pianoplayer84

Sounds like you've got excellent music selections for him, then. Good work on that!
Practicing leaps is something all it's own. Try some practice with eyes closed might help the leaps.
I don't think he's getting anywhere near enough practice if he's serious about it. At his age, if it's important to him, 2 hours a week is very little time. For a recreational pianist an hour a day might be reasonable, which of course is 7 hours a week. If he really enjoys music, 2 hours a day might be a reasonable goal.

Definitely 2 hours per week is not enough. That's only 15 minutes a day if he practices daily. That's the bare minimum I expect from my young beginners. The amount of time isn't as important, but still, it should be at least as long as his lessons.

#2279174 - 05/21/14 10:05 AM Re: Student growing tall [Re: pianoplayer84]
Jonathan Baker Offline

Loc: New York City!
There is no point in discussing the boy's height with him since it leaves him with absolutely nothing to say because there is nothing he can do about it - a situation no adolescent enjoys. At 6'4" I have plenty to say on the subject, both sociologically and pianistically, but unless you have experience in your personal physical development with the subject that can be relayed to him for immediate practical value I would not raise the subject.

The 12 - 15 year old age group is so volatile! Any boy's hormones are off the charts. No longer a boy but not yet a man, he is neither fish nor fowl - and it is a miracle anyone survives that transition with their sanity intact. Being a steady and benevolent influence is perhaps the best you can offer in your position at this time.

My experience has revealed to me that talent is secondary to compelling curiosity. All the natural facility in the world means nothing if there is merely tepid or passive interest in a subject. If he is working two hours a week, that speaks for itself. I was working about four hours a day at that age, and nobody was pushing me. If an excellent student is working very hard, making great progress, then drops off suddenly, that is another matter, but that does not appear to be the case.

Knowing that he has a loyal mentor in you, and I believe your words clearly indicate that, probably has deeper long-term meaning for him than he can realize at this time. Sometimes music is another constructive conduit for general developmental growth, and more important that the mastery of this or that piece of music.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The friction, blubbering, and lost motion are eradicated!
by music32
9 minutes 25 seconds ago
Merry Christmas
by MusicaMusique
39 minutes 31 seconds ago
Problems with the forum
by Peter071
50 minutes 11 seconds ago
A 4ths and 5ths sequence
by Gerry Johnston
58 minutes 56 seconds ago
Harry Truman on Piano Shopping
by Nelsthepianoplayer
59 minutes 12 seconds ago
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
159999 Topics
2349595 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission