2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the great feedback and thoughts, and a big special thanks to Sam for providing the picture of "bigfoot."

And, for the record, it looks like I am falling into camp 3: It doesn't look like a lacquer satin, but it can still look nice. (At least when done well.)

M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
You might love it once it's in your home, and the lighting will make an enormous difference.

If the bench is the same finish, maybe you could take it home and see?

I had a small white piano before this (black laquer) one. I did NOT want white but was talked into it. I could not beleive how great it looked in the room.

You might be surprised.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
D
OP Offline
D
For anyone curious, this is what a high-gloss bubinga piano looks like after it's been refinished to satin ebony:

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzISW8OYwizRSm1qNmQxVlY0eDJOZVdncmtxU3NMNUpaUlhV/edit?usp=sharing[/img]

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzISW8OYwizRQjktVHVOWGQxcE1ZUE9QQ010NVNPb3RVQUlB/edit?usp=sharing[/img]

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzISW8OYwizRNnhzYmZHWjVEZnd4bkd3S3lEM3pXWVJQdGVB/edit?usp=sharing[/img]

For anyone thinking about doing this, turns out the key was to work the arrangement through the dealer. The refinisher gave me the price of $2800. I'm a one-time job for him. He gave the dealer the price of $1900. (Not bad at all.)

I'm beyond happy with the job.

Also, in case anyone is additionally curious, we had them satinize the bubinga bench via the scotchbrite method. From what we had read here, we knew it wouldn't work out well, but we were curious. Nope. Not a good idea. It looked like the bench was covered in a film from a bad cleaner, or kind of like the stage after you apply wax to your car, but before you buff it out. Hope some googler in a similar predicament will find all of this useful some day.

Thanks all for your very good advice and help. When I started this thread I wasn't seriously considering this option, but I got just enough knowledge here to help me move forward and I'm glad I did.

Last edited by daniel84020; 04/28/14 07:22 PM.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
That is amazing! I would never have thought just changing the finish would make a piano look like a phone!

Semipro Tech

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
All I link to are 403 errors.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
All I link to are 403 errors.

Come use my computer. They look great and I'll be working in the yard for the rest of the day.

(But, seriously, I'll work on this.)

D
OP Offline
D
If the piano still looks like a phone or 403 error, let me know.

S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
I like the wood tones but the Bubinga is a too busy for me too. I like it better now. Congratulations to you and your wife on getting your new piano.

(Did they leave the name off the fallboard?)

Last edited by supersport; 04/28/14 09:27 PM.

David

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
It looks beautiful!

(The links are working now.)

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
I might have been tempted to hide less of the bubinga, like Perzina do on this model:

http://www.freeburgpianos.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Perzina-T-188-Bubinga-e1390506512936.jpg

Or just adapt the rest of your house:

http://tours.tourfactory.com/tours/media/scene/big2/00/22/57/76/22577676.jpg wink

But I admit I'm biased towards unsubtle wood finishes and I'm not a fan of satin.
I think that black finish probably suits your existing room better though; a wood finish might not work with your wooden floors.

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by supersport

(Did they leave the name off the fallboard?)

Yes. I didn't really care about having a name on the fallboard. We can still get that done later if we want.

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
There are several ways to achieve a "satin" finish on a piano.

The traditional satin finish came about way back when the only viable finish material was brushed varnish. After the varnish had cured in a heated room for however many days or weeks were required the surface was scraped and/or rubbed with "glass" paper to the desired flatness and then polished with ever-finer grads of glass paper.

This process morphed over to lacquer finishes after the end of "the war to end all wars" and manufacturers needed a way to use all that nitrocellulose.

Hand rubbed satin finishes remained the standard piano finish until more sophisticated finishing materials came along and it was possible to really polish the surface.

Now it is difficult to find a rubbed finish because of the additional hand work involved. But they can be done. As has been pointed out most sanded/hand-rubbed polyester surfaces do not look all that great so one common solution has been to coat the surface with polyester, sand it flat, recoat it with lacquer and then rub that. These finishes look pretty much like a traditional hand-rubbed lacquer finish.

A cheaper way to achieve a satin finish is to spray the piano with a material -- usually polyester -- having what are called "flattening agents" in them. These go on quickly and require no hand rubbing at all. The problem with them is that they are virtually impossible to touch up after minor scratches or other damage. The whole panel will have to be recoated after the damaged area is repaired. It is bad enough if a panel such as a keycover or a lid is damaged but if the fixed casework or a grand rim is damaged the whole piano will have to be moved to a qualified finishing shop for repairs.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
R
R
Daniel, You had a great looking piano.

Now you have a "nice" piano.

I wouldn't have dared to even modify the original finish, although I must accept that maybe it was a little too much.

In that case, I would have looked for a black piano.

IMHO.

Rodolfo Grunberger
Piano amateur
Gebrüder Knake Grand, 7'1", circa 1895
Celaya, Mexico
shocked

As I'm fairly certain this particular piano was on my own short list at one time, frankly I'm shocked that someone could/would do this to a perfectly fine and beautiful finish.

But to each their own. That you enjoy it is what matters. May you have many happy years with your new piano.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

I couldn't read the fall board -- what brand is it?

RachOn
Estonia 190; Yamaha U1
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission