Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2268638 - 04/29/14 11:56 AM Feedback on Student Quitting
bmbutler Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Have a student that has been with me for about 1 1/2 years. Had a gut instinct that this student would leave eventually. He is rude during his lesson (not listening, playing while I am talking, etc.). I do call him on it, but the next week brings more of the same. He did get better for a long period after our last year studio get together before the recital. He did something that caused a lot of problems for everyone after I had told him 2 times to stop. I was very angry when he did it the third time and we went for almost 7 months of him behaving and not being rude.

I have a tight studio policy that clearly states that I have a no make-up policy unless I have to cancel. Parents have texted me the past three weeks a few days before his lesson asking for a reschedule due to ball schedule. I cannot and will not reschedule a lesson and policy is clear on subject. Well, parent comes to the door with child at last lesson (late I might add) with a note from other parent that this month will be their last and student will stop after recital which is June 1.

Here is my question - should I allow child to partipcate in the recital or end lesson after last end of month lesson? Feedback appreciated.

Normally would allow without question, but this family has been a pain from the beginning (not telling me the truth about needing a new teaching when coming to me - hence the redflag), timing of lessons (no joke), father telling me through the child that "he is not progressing fast enough." About 6 months ago, child came to lesson with piano and vocal music of popular singer. WAY above child's head. Mother and child understand this. Father does not and doesn't understand why his child can't play it now.
Church Musician since 1983

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2268675 - 04/29/14 01:19 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: bmbutler]
MaggieGirl Offline

If I did not want him to be in the recital and his last day was May 31, I would tell the parent that they do not need to wait the 30 days to quit, that they can quit today with no penalty/no recital.

If I generally felt good about the student and parent, I would let them do the recital since it is on June 1st. if it were June 15 I would say no quite easily. But you have a month with the student and they are paying and have been paying towards the recital.

#2268710 - 04/29/14 02:34 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: bmbutler]
JazzyMac Offline

I think letting him play in the recital only shows that you are the bigger person. And it lets everyone go out with smiles versus frowns.

On another note....

I've always wondered this: Why is it okay for the teacher to cancel a lesson, but not the student? I've been inconvenienced a few times by two piano teachers, but the minute I needed to cancel or reschedule, I get *policy* thrown in my face. The teacher may have a lot of students and a business to run, but the student also has things to juggle. I think of it as a sign of two-way respect.

#2268728 - 04/29/14 03:11 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: bmbutler]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Jazzy Mac, sounds like you need "Pay As You Go" lesson type.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2268730 - 04/29/14 03:19 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: JazzyMac]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: JazzyMac
I've always wondered this: Why is it okay for the teacher to cancel a lesson, but not the student? I've been inconvenienced a few times by two piano teachers, but the minute I needed to cancel or reschedule, I get *policy* thrown in my face. The teacher may have a lot of students and a business to run, but the student also has things to juggle. I think of it as a sign of two-way respect.

Unfortunately, without a firm policy in place, a lot of students will find ways to cancel, postpone, or re-arrange lessons. That's human nature.

#2268738 - 04/29/14 03:40 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: JazzyMac]
chasingrainbows Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
I think letting him play in the recital only shows that you are the bigger person. And it lets everyone go out with smiles versus frowns.

On another note....

jazzymac, I understand your point, however, it seems that bmbutler has tolerated a lot more than any teacher should tolerate, and IMO, this family wants to "have the last say."

As far as your policy question, rather than hijack this thread, why don't you post a new topic? I would love to respond.

bmbutler, I would let them go now. I wouldn't continue lessons with them, but that's my own feeling.

#2268741 - 04/29/14 03:51 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: bmbutler]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
In my opinion, if his last day is May 31, means that he will be no longer your student June 1st. Non-students are not allowed to participate in recital. If you do not want him to participate in recital, you can say so.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2268747 - 04/29/14 04:02 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: bmbutler]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: bmbutler
About 6 months ago, child came to lesson with piano and vocal music of popular singer. WAY above child's head. Mother and child understand this. Father does not and doesn't understand why his child can't play it now.

You need to educate ignorant parents. Such ignorance is common.

#2268755 - 04/29/14 04:25 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: bmbutler]
BrainCramp Offline

Loc: USA
You said that one parent arrived with a note from the other parent. Are the parents separated or newly divorced? That may explain a lot of the bad behavior by the kid and the parents.

Also, it sounds like the father's expectations of the kid are unrealistic. That's hard on the kid. The kid doesn't know his father is an ignoramus. He just knows that he isn't measuring up in Dad's eyes.

It may not be the kid's fault at all that his lessons are in turmoil.

Does the kid WANT to play in the recital? If so, why not let him, if you think he'll behave appropriately? A recital is a progress milestone, and I think he's entitled to that. If he doesn't want to then there's no problem.

Just my 2 cents.

#2268769 - 04/29/14 04:58 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: bmbutler]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
It's not fair that some kids get the parents they get, but it's not fair also that we as teachers have to deal with the results of horrendous parenting.

Usually the rudeness comes from parenting. Either kids mimic bad behavior at home, or they their parents are permissive and allow rude behavior.

When students are rude AND their parents are rude, I have no problems saying: "Adios."

What is painful to me is dealing with respectful and reasonable students with very rude parents.

#2268897 - 04/29/14 10:12 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: bmbutler]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I would ask the child if he wants to play, and tell him if he wants he can, but he has to be prepared. If he doesn't practice and doesn't sound good then he won't participate. You are under no obligation to let him play, of course, but it sounds like he's acting out and trying to get parent's attention with his behavior. You are just the unfortunate person caught in the middle. Try to be as patient with this kid in these last few weeks, in spite of his behavior. I'm not saying excuse his behavior, but try to teach him things that you think will stick with him down the road. He may look back on his lessons with fondness - you never know.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2268924 - 04/29/14 11:25 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: bmbutler]
Peter K. Mose Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Tough call. I'd say if your spring teaching season goes past the June 1 recital, then these parents are dictating their own end of your season by calling it the end of May.
I might hold them to their word, and bid the family adios before the recital. You'll all be relieved.

But that is indeed being kind of nasty back at them. You could instead just try to be a wonderful, cuddly teacher for a handful of final lessons and see what happens.

They may want you back next fall!

#2269910 - 05/01/14 10:53 PM Re: Feedback on Student Quitting [Re: JazzyMac]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore

Are you perhaps interpreting the policy incorrectly? It doesn't mean that it's "ok" for the teacher to cancel the lesson, what it means is that if the teacher cancels the lesson without notice, the student doesn't pay (or gets a make-up lesson). The result: the student doesn't pay for lessons not received. But if the student cancels (without giving sufficient notice), the student still has to pay for the lesson because the teacher can't replace that work time. This policy has always made perfect sense to me (as a student).

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
10/01/14 09:39 AM
Need a stool of some kind
by GeorgeStorm
10/01/14 09:19 AM
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
10/01/14 08:48 AM
Old Schumann Upright
by UnrightTooner
10/01/14 08:24 AM
For sale: stand & monitors (used with MP11)...
by mrmacmusic
10/01/14 07:38 AM
Who's Online
145 registered (accordeur, ajames, amt976, anamnesis, 43 invisible), 1603 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76385 Members
42 Forums
157919 Topics
2319238 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission