2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Monica, where can I find the rules to the quarterly recital? When do they take place, and when is the deadline for the current one?

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Eight Octaves.
Play what you like, you can submit it from the 1st of May until May 14 - 21:00 EST. That's about it. (I had the same question)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There is a site for all things quarterly recital I just don't remember where it is. You could probably find it with a forum search.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For my 1000th post, here you go: https://recitals.pianoworld.com/

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by Eight Octaves
Monica, where can I find the rules to the quarterly recital? When do they take place, and when is the deadline for the current one?

Watch for a thread entitled something like "Recital #34 (35? I don't remember... I'll have to look it up! whome ) -- Call for submissions" appearing late the night of April 30th or early May 1. It will have all the details in there, but the main thing you need to know for now is to start trying to get an mp3 file of your recording. The recital website will be open for submissions between May 1 and 9:00 pm EDT May 14th.

MarieJ, I hope you have your Zoom figured out by then and can submit something. And welcome to the forum! smile

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Congratulations, Pathbreaker. Excellent post #1000. smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I'm getting closer. I set out to record the first of the six pieces that make up my submission (one Opus number, don't worry, not too long!) and just kept going. I think I'll use that, warts and all instead of trying to record each one.

But the sixth will take a while longer. It's not fully memorized and I wasn't ready to record it. Might have to go closer to the May 15th deadline than I normally do.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
So it will be a short jazzy piece for me, as it often has been. Unfortunately it's part of the ABRSM grade 2 exam, so there's already plenty of kids that play it better than me out there, but whatever! It will be ready for recording in about a week.

N
N17 Offline
N
I'm hoping to have a short little piece ready to enter into this recital. It would be my first recital, not only on the ABF, but of any kind. I'm on various stages of two or three pieces at the moment, but my submission will likely be similar to my April Piano Bar contribution/first recording. A short, classical minuet or dance of some kind. I'm very excited and working hard to be involved in the recital. Even if my second attempt at recording doesn't go as planned over the next two weeks, I'm looking forward to all the submissions and surprises being mentioned here

COYS

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the info, Monica and great find on link, Pathbreaker - I bookmarked it. Now, I just need to figure out how to do this.... Look forward to join in on the fun... um, no laughing please.... blush

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
So it will be a short jazzy piece for me, as it often has been. Unfortunately it's part of the ABRSM grade 2 exam, so there's already plenty of kids that play it better than me out there, but whatever! It will be ready for recording in about a week.

Hey, no apologies for playing ABRSM Grade 2 music. If you start doing that, then I have to apologize for every single piece of music I have ever learned since they are all RCM/ABRSM graded music played brilliantly by children on YouTube. I started from RCM Grade 1. Never look at a child on YouTube playing your music. Never, just don't it. Too depressing. I have learned not to abuse myself like that! grin Having said that, I just saw an 8-year-old playing a Beethoven sonatina that I had permission to "put away" lately and she played it so much faster than me.... cry (She was eight! And I thought I had made it to 12-year-old music.)

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Never look at a child on YouTube playing your music. Never, just don't it. Too depressing. I have learned not to abuse myself like that! grin Having said that, I just saw an 8-year-old playing a Beethoven sonatina that I had permission to "put away" lately and she played it so much faster than me.... cry (She was eight! And I thought I had made it to 12-year-old music.)
I actually get inspired by watching children easily play music I struggle with. It motivates me to play better.

Originally Posted by noobpianist90
Never look at a child on YouTube playing your music. Never, just don't it. Too depressing. I have learned not to abuse myself like that! grin Having said that, I just saw an 8-year-old playing a Beethoven sonatina that I had permission to "put away" lately and she played it so much faster than me.... cry (She was eight! And I thought I had made it to 12-year-old music.)
I actually get inspired by watching children easily play music I struggle with. It motivates me to play better.

Someone said "Never perform with animals or children" . . . wise words!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
... I just saw an 8-year-old playing a Beethoven sonatina that I had permission to "put away" lately and she played it so much faster than me.... cry (She was eight! And I thought I had made it to 12-year-old music.)

You are playing 12 year old music. It's just that the 8 years old is playing 14 year old music. That all! smile

Seriously.... You say faster. Was it any more musical? Was it musical at all? That's what it's all about.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rnaple
Seriously.... You say faster. Was it any more musical? Was it musical at all? That's what it's all about.

OK, if you put me to task, the way the 8-year-old girl played was basically non-sense musically especially from perspective of Beethoven. laugh But she did play with that extremely smooth flow in legato, perfect staccato articulation, and complete mastery in memory that few adults beginners seem to master (ever). It's like speaking completely fluently without accent of a native speaker, but content desert typical of an 8-year-old.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
I try to avoid watching too much stuff like this on youtube, if I can. Hopefully I'll find other performers I can aspire to.

I think usually any kid, or at least most that are sharing their wares at this level, are likely in a very small percentile to begin with. Occasionally, I've come across a live performer and I've thought to myself ... how could someone that young be that talented. I don't really know the answer ... spirituality/channeling come to mind.

I've managed to get a recording tonight that I believe I will stick with. It has to pass the "is it acceptable tomorrow morning" test, but I'm fairly confident it will make it. I've had to flush only two already this way. Funny, how little things can really start to annoy you when they just won't go away. The miraculous thing is though, the piece is actually in much better shape then it was at the time of first recording, last weekend ... long since flushed. Of course, all due to the recording process and having to live with it.

So, very happy I can move along to other stuff now. Well, post tomorrow morning ... smile.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

7 billion people on the planet quite a few of them height and age challenged. With just about every parent looking for any modicum of talent and tripping over each other to show it off to the world is there any wonder why youtube has so many little prodigies?

Unfortunately while it is never wise to compare ourselves to others (no matter what age) it is an inbuilt competitiveness that makes us do this. On the plus side this is what gives us drive and determination.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
For sure. I will speak out of both sides of my mouth. As soon as I say NEVER look at YouTube I'm already looking at some youngster playing something or another because it's there and I can't stop myself. smirk

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
If you all would like to look at one child who is an exception to all you talk about with prodigies. Look at Emily Bear. She will inspire you.
With only having heard her siblings practice. She walked up to a piano and played a perfect C scale at 2 years old.
Yes her grandmother had been a concert pianist. Much support there.
Her parents are extremely wise. They took her to some of the best teachers there are. They developed her musical ability. Everything she was taught she soaked up like a sponge. She was being compared to Mozart. Yet, with her parents wisdom. They didn't want her to be another driven creature. They just wanted her to be a happy little girl. The only things they pushed on her were other things. Like going to summer camp. Which as I remember, her mother made sure there wasn't a piano within 50 miles of the camp. smile
She wrote a thousand original melodies by the time she was 10 years old.
Recently she was invited to a seminar for composers of music in film. Something only the best and talented are invited to.
She loves jazz. But wants to become a composer for film. Like John Williams.
She is, I think, 14 years old now.
Her latest album is Diversity. Quincy Jones was the producer.

Study Emily and it will inspire you.

Last edited by rnaple; 04/30/14 08:14 AM. Reason: typo

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by rnaple
If you all would like to look at one child who is an exception to all you talk about with prodigies. Look at Emily Bear. The will inspire you.

I've listened to a few compositions by Emily Bear. I particularly enjoyed "Santa Fe".

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission