Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2269144 - 04/30/14 03:45 PM Piano Magic Users Thread
HisKidd Offline

Loc: AL/USA
My introduction to Piano Magic was here in the Piano World Forums. I became a student of Michael Anderson because I read what Seaside Lee had to say about Michael's method, and then heard Lee play some fantastic sounds- first on his website, and eventually (after becoming a member) in the Piano Magic forums.

I read, from time to time, here in the Piano World Forums both comments and questions related to PMMO. Having been a Piano Magic student for almost four years, I thought it would be fun to create a regular, ongoing thread for PMMO users, former members, and anyone interested in learning to play by ear.

There are some great people who are members of Piano Magic who are also regular contributors to the forums here at Piano World. Rerun and Seaside Lee are but two of them for whom I have great appreciation and ongoing contact. There are others who have been immensely successful with PMMO and who contribute from time to time here in the forums. One of the wonderful things about being a member of Piano Magic is the people you meet in the PMMO (Piano Magic Members Only) forums. It's a great community of support and encouragement!

It's no secret that playing by ear and classical piano training are two very different ways of approaching piano. I want to state up front that my feeling is that both have an important place, and that there should be a healthy appreciation for both methods and for anyone who attempts to learn to play piano, period!

Hopefully, this thread will be a place where general questions about playing by ear and PMMO in particular can be addressed in a fun and supportive enviornment. We'll just see where the discussions lead us. I check in at Piano World at least once a day, and I'll try to keep the thread alive as long as it serves a useful purpose!

To begin with, since there are lose threads here and there about PMMO, I'd like to ask anyone who has prior experience with Piano Magic to let us hear from you. Tell us if it was helfpul or not, and where you are presently in your piano pilgrimage.

Hopefully, we'll hear regularly from Seaside Lee, Rerun, and any others who have experience with PMMO. If you have any interest in playing by ear, this forum thread is for you! Let's see where this thread takes us, and by all means…

Play On!
H.K.

cool
DCM CX-17 Monitors
Sennheiser HD 205, DJ series, headset

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2269268 - 04/30/14 08:19 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana

Hey HK, I'll try to check in regularly to see if anything is cooking with the ear players ... or anyone else who has a curiosity about it.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2269516 - 05/01/14 09:10 AM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I was a member for a year about 4-5 years ago.

I liked the concept but as I recall ... I felt like I was going down the wrong path for learning to play Jazz cocktail piano.

I felt that the method for forming chords (fingerings) was too inflexible.

I believe you may be able to get there in the long run but I was not able to accept that methodology at that point in my development.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2269850 - 05/01/14 09:37 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: dmd]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Don,

You know, I don't think Mike messes with jazz at all or hasn't on the website. Don't know if you remember Buck (Deep Elam over here at PW), I think he was really wanting to move into jazz too, was at PM a few years then moved on ... he was the bluegrass musician from NJ who worked in Las Vegas. Very talented ...he could play the heck out of a piano.

#2270025 - 05/02/14 06:45 AM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: Rerun]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rerun
Hey Don,

You know, I don't think Mike messes with jazz at all or hasn't on the website.

No, he does not. He does not really specify any particular style of play. If I remember correctly, he just starts you out with triads and makes suggestions as to adding extended chord tones as you progress. I think it can result in you becoming a very good player. I just could not accept the method of forming chords that was being used. It might have been a mistake on my part. I have made a ton of them. LOL ...

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2270041 - 05/02/14 07:46 AM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: dmd]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think you and many others were way more advanced/talented than I was upon arrival at PM. Are you basically an ear performer now, lead sheet, sight reader, mix? I'm just not wired up yet to use anything more than my ears, and I focus too much on rhythms I'd like to work with rather than advanced harmony. I still have you beat by at least a few tons. : )

#2270073 - 05/02/14 08:35 AM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: dmd]
HisKidd Offline

Hey Don…Rerun…

I don't believe I've ever heard Mike play a jazz piece as such. You know he's really big on 13th chord extensions containing what he refers to as "hidden chords," so I would think that all those 9ths, 11ths, 13ths, would quickly lead to some jazz comps.

By the way, Don. I know you are probably much further advanced than what I'm about to offer, but (though I know our thread is about PMMO), I scour the internet for all the free help I can get. One wonderful resource that I like to use is Bill Hilton. British, and has a world of subscribers on YouTube. He has some great jazz and improv tutorials, as well as a whole lot about piano theory, chords, etc. in general. Here's a link to several of his jazz piano tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpOuhygfD7QkAet_PLBrT94Ziqzz_WWgn

Simple and straight forward- not as complicated as so much of what I've tried to folow. Jazz and piano bar style are favorites of mine also.

Here's hoping we pick up some additional PMMO members/former members to join our discussion.

By the way, Rerun, you vastly underestimate your piano skills. You've great a great mind for bass runs and improv in general. Your blues arrangement of "Amazing Grace" is al all-time favorite of mine!

Play On!
H.K.
cool
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2270097 - 05/02/14 09:42 AM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: HisKidd
Hey Don…Rerun…

I don't believe I've ever heard Mike play a jazz piece as such. You know he's really big on 13th chord extensions containing what he refers to as "hidden chords," so I would think that all those 9ths, 11ths, 13ths, would quickly lead to some jazz comps.

By the way, Don. I know you are probably much further advanced than what I'm about to offer, but (though I know our thread is about PMMO), I scour the internet for all the free help I can get. One wonderful resource that I like to use is Bill Hilton. British, and has a world of subscribers on YouTube. He has some great jazz and improv tutorials, as well as a whole lot about piano theory, chords, etc. in general. Here's a link to several of his jazz piano tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpOuhygfD7QkAet_PLBrT94Ziqzz_WWgn

Simple and straight forward- not as complicated as so much of what I've tried to folow. Jazz and piano bar style are favorites of mine also.

Here's hoping we pick up some additional PMMO members/former members to join our discussion.

By the way, Rerun, you vastly underestimate your piano skills. You've great a great mind for bass runs and improv in general. Your blues arrangement of "Amazing Grace" is al all-time favorite of mine!

Play On!
H.K.
cool

Advanced ... would be the wrong term for my level. LOL ...

I am still very much a work in progress. I know I skip around too much but the good news is that it keeps me playing anyway. I am not much of a "grinder".

Right now I am taking lessons via Skype with the focus being jazz cocktail piano. I probably have made the best progress with that, so far.

I have been through most of those Bill Hilton tutorials and they are good. However, they require a little "grinding" to make good use of them. I tend to fuss with it for a little while and then move on to something that strikes my fancy.
Absolutely, not the recommended technique for maximum progress.

#2270156 - 05/02/14 12:02 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I miss Deep Elem frown I loved his music.

Cathy

#2270367 - 05/02/14 09:19 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: jotur]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
I miss Deep Elem frown I loved his music.

Cathy

Me too.

Thanks HK ... most of the time I feel that I luck into getting a decent recording even as basic as I play 'em.

HK is the scholar over at PM, he's forgot more than I'll ever learn about music. If members have questions and Mike's not around, HK will know the answer or know where to find it in the PM forums ... he was doing stuff on a piano in the first 6 months I'll never be able to learn.

#2270480 - 05/03/14 09:19 AM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: Rerun]
HisKidd Offline

Rerun…

Thanks for the kind comments! Tell you what… I visited the "Piano Bar" forum here at PW, and I'm amazed at the quality of playing! As one famous poet said, "I have miles to go before I sleep."

Don…
Just for fun… one of my favorite jazz piano players (this guy has a Southern Gospel background which makes his playing really interesting) is 7notemode.
Amazingly good. You can check him out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/7notemode

Though I've never experimented with Skype, I have watched some of the master classes - especially those by Dave Frank. I really like his 15 elements video.

Rerun…

I've invited one of our favorite PMMO personalities to join us, and I've been promised that will happen. You can probably guess who, but I'll not mention the name just in case the name here is different than at PMMO. Should bring a lot of fun and knowledge to the forum. Great singing voice too! Only shortcoming is that this person plays barefooted! A PMMO member for quite a number of years, and in the elite company of Seaside, Honeycomb, SpongeBob, and you, Rerun!

Play On!
H.K.
cool
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2270497 - 05/03/14 10:29 AM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Rerun…

Thanks for the kind comments! Tell you what… I visited the "Piano Bar" forum here at PW, and I'm amazed at the quality of playing!

I agree.

One thing I noticed, however, is that there are no recent entries. They all date back about 6 years. I wonder why.

#2270507 - 05/03/14 10:59 AM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

dmd & HK -

I'm confused. The "piano bar" thread (I don't think there's really a forum labeled that - so I figured HK meant the thread here in the ABF) is open every month so it's recent entries are never more than a month old. And the participants, both those who submit and those who only comment, have sometimes been around 6 years, or more, and sometimes only a couple of months.

So were you folks really talking about the "members recordings" forums? If so, many people now post in a particular forums "members recordings" thread which are stickied at the top of the Pianists Corner or the non-classical. The ABF decided we had plenty of opportunities to post recordings and didn't need/want a stickied "members recordings". Hope that helps with finding all of our latest recordings.

Cathy

#2270565 - 05/03/14 01:55 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: jotur]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

dmd & HK -

I'm confused. The "piano bar" thread (I don't think there's really a forum labeled that - so I figured HK meant the thread here in the ABF) is open every month so it's recent entries are never more than a month old. And the participants, both those who submit and those who only comment, have sometimes been around 6 years, or more, and sometimes only a couple of months.

So were you folks really talking about the "members recordings" forums? If so, many people now post in a particular forums "members recordings" thread which are stickied at the top of the Pianists Corner or the non-classical. The ABF decided we had plenty of opportunities to post recordings and didn't need/want a stickied "members recordings". Hope that helps with finding all of our latest recordings.

Cathy

Whoops ! My Bad.

I didn't notice that he was referring to the PW Piano Bar. I thought he was talking about the same concept with Piano Magic users on that site. The ones on the Piano Magic site seem to all be "old".

#2270568 - 05/03/14 02:01 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Aha! Nothing like a little confusion on my end to clear things up! Are there other places at Piano Magic where people post their recordings? Surely there are, eh?

Thanks for the info -

Cathy

#2270590 - 05/03/14 03:16 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: jotur]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Aha! Nothing like a little confusion on my end to clear things up! Are there other places at Piano Magic where people post their recordings? Surely there are, eh?

Thanks for the info -

Cathy

I am not a member anymore so I do not really know. However, I went back and took a look around and just found the old ones.

As far as I know, that is the only place where the members post their recordings. But, I may be wrong.

#2270593 - 05/03/14 03:24 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Is there a link to this Piano Magic site? I'm not familiar with it.

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2270604 - 05/03/14 04:12 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: dmd]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
Originally Posted By: dmd
Right now I am taking lessons via Skype with the focus being jazz cocktail piano. I probably have made the best progress with that, so far.

Can you share the name/contact info of your Skype teacher? Any additional thoughts on your learning-via-Skype experience? Thanks!

#2270638 - 05/03/14 05:43 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: pwl]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pwl
Originally Posted By: dmd

Can you share the name/contact info of your Skype teacher? Any additional thoughts on your learning-via-Skype experience? Thanks!

No Problem.

The website is ... http://john-ferrara.com/

He has some stuff on Youtube also. That will give you some idea of who he is.

I find it to be very useful for my needs.

There are not live jazz piano teachers in the area that I reside. So, this works for me.

I find him very easy/comfortable to work with.

Edited by dmd (05/03/14 05:44 PM)

#2270649 - 05/03/14 06:01 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: LarryShone]
HisKidd Offline

Originally Posted By: LarryShone
Is there a link to this Piano Magic site? I'm not familiar with it.

LarryShone…

Here you go:
http://pianomagic.com

Play On!
H.K.
cool
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2270653 - 05/03/14 06:12 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
HisKidd Offline

dmd, jotur…

I was referring to the piano bar here in the ABF. As far as what is posted on the PMMO website, 99% of those are posted to box and then linked to PMMO. I recently (last year) began the practice of double-posting and including Soundcloud, because the quality is so much richer. I also thought that format would allow Mike to comment instantly on posted tunes without going to the trouble of a full response in the PMMO forums. That idea never really caught on, though one or two members are also including a link to SoundCloud.

There are some great players in this forum, especially when you consider it's named: "Adult Beginners Forum." My beginning in no way compares to these! Lol!

By the way, is Elssa one and the same as the "Elssa" who was a member at PMMO? Beautiful playing!

Play On!
H.K.
cool
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2270656 - 05/03/14 06:23 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rerun…

Thanks for the kind comments! Tell you what… I visited the "Piano Bar" forum here at PW, and I'm amazed at the quality of playing! As one famous poet said, "I have miles to go before I sleep."

Don…
Just for fun… one of my favorite jazz piano players (this guy has a Southern Gospel background which makes his playing really interesting) is 7notemode.
Amazingly good. You can check him out at: https://www.youtube.com/user/7notemode

Though I've never experimented with Skype, I have watched some of the master classes - especially those by Dave Frank. I really like his 15 elements video.

Rerun…

I've invited one of our favorite PMMO personalities to join us, and I've been promised that will happen. You can probably guess who, but I'll not mention the name just in case the name here is different than at PMMO. Should bring a lot of fun and knowledge to the forum. Great singing voice too! Only shortcoming is that this person plays barefooted! A PMMO member for quite a number of years, and in the elite company of Seaside, Honeycomb, SpongeBob, and you, Rerun!

Play On!
H.K.
cool

HK:

A PM member who's been photographed playing barefoot … hmmm, that must be the member leaving on a cruise tomorrow then swinging by London, Amsterdamn and Paris?

Members recordings at PianoMagic are mostly posted in each member's thread (if they decide to start a thread of their recordings) in the recital hall followed by comments from other members. But there are many recordings scattered all over creation, many of which will be in a thread started by Mike like “The Boogie Challenge” , the “Proud Mary” thread, the original Music Challenge, the “Go Rest on that Mountain Challenge”, The Concert Hall (about 20 member's recordings who wanted to participate), Mike's recordings at The Seadream Cinema, etc.

Larry, click this link:

http://www.pianomagic.com/index.asp

edit: Hk, I see you posted while I was typing. : )

Edited by Rerun (05/03/14 06:26 PM)

#2270661 - 05/03/14 06:36 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: Rerun]
HisKidd Offline

Good afternoon, Rerun…

Good guess on that new participant! I know you'll know the answer the the question I added to my earlier post. Is Elssa posting in the ABF Piano Bar one and the same as "Elssa" formerly a member at PMMO?

And… have you checked your e-mail? A special request of you, Kind Sir!

Play On!
H.K.
cool

Edited by HisKidd (05/03/14 06:37 PM)
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2270663 - 05/03/14 06:46 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had to pause and watch the derby ... yep,she was a member at PM when I joined. I'll check that email box in a sec and get back with you.

Pop

#2270719 - 05/03/14 09:39 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
EM Deeka Offline

There are some great players in this forum, especially when you consider it's named: "Adult Beginners Forum." My beginning in no way compares to these! Lol!

"Adult Beginners Forum." is just a name !! To submit to the Piano Bar in "Adult Beginners Forum." you just have be an Adult and a Beginner at some point in time not necessarily the present smile

Edited by EM Deeka (05/03/14 09:40 PM)

#2270723 - 05/03/14 09:59 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: EM Deeka]
HisKidd Offline

Originally Posted By: EM Deeka

"Adult Beginners Forum." is just a name !! To submit to the Piano Bar in "Adult Beginners Forum." you just have be an Adult and a Beginner at some point in time not necessarily the present smile

Thanks, EM Deeka! Good to know!
cool
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2271220 - 05/05/14 12:51 AM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Good afternoon, Rerun…

Good guess on that new participant! I know you'll know the answer the the question I added to my earlier post. Is Elssa posting in the ABF Piano Bar one and the same as "Elssa" formerly a member at PMMO?

Just wanted to respond and say that I had progressed to the level I am before I joined PMMO but was curious as to what the site offered, so that is why I joined back then.

#2272380 - 05/07/14 01:33 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
HisKidd Offline

I've had a grand time communicating though PM's with several PMMO former members, and a couple of interested members. I've learned a lot! Thanks for all the great responses!

Here's the question I'd like to ask, and have some of you answer. There are many "learn to play by ear" sites on the web. Aside from PMMO, from what other internet teachers/sites have you received the most helpful insights?

Over the past five years, I think I've sampled some of everything out there including, Hear and Play, Shinn, Hilton, Sprunger, Matt Stephens, Pianology, Dr. Keys, Mangold Project, Dave Frank, 7notemode, quaverbox, Piano by Elssa, et. al.

While PMMO is my basic go to material, I have something from all of the above. What are you own experiences? Who would you highly recommend for learning to play by ear, and why?

Play On!
H.K.
cool
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2276418 - 05/15/14 10:33 AM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
HisKidd Offline

May have been mentioned elsewhere, but there are a couple of new vids at quaverbox. Well done, Mr. SH!

1) The Am Chord
2) Piano Improvisation Lesson ("Less is More")

Play On!
H.K.
DCM CX-17 Monitors

#2304117 - 07/19/14 05:06 PM Re: Piano Magic Users Thread [Re: HisKidd]
HisKidd Offline

Glad to see that Cats1 has joined the PW forums. She is an accomplished member of PMMO, with a great personality (and singing voice). Cats I see you received a royal welcome from a former PMMO member, Starr in another thread.

Please feel free to chime in here in the PMMO User's Forum. I would love to hear your evaluation of PMMO, as a long-standing member!

Welcome to the Piano World Forums!

Play On!
H.K.
DCM CX-17 Monitors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
10/01/14 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
10/01/14 06:24 PM
The Steinway S in 1936
by Rich Galassini
10/01/14 06:21 PM
Yamaha CP5
by Synner
10/01/14 05:43 PM
Vice grip needle nose threaded bolt dimensions
by Olek
10/01/14 05:10 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (ajames, ando, accordeur, alfredo capurso, 44 invisible), 1370 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76396 Members
42 Forums
157933 Topics
2319394 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission