Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2268457 - 04/29/14 12:52 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
Monica, where can I find the rules to the quarterly recital? When do they take place, and when is the deadline for the current one?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2268500 - 04/29/14 03:53 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
wimpiano Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
@Eight Octaves.
Play what you like, you can submit it from the 1st of May until May 14 - 21:00 EST. That's about it. (I had the same question)

#2268523 - 04/29/14 06:24 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
There is a site for all things quarterly recital I just don't remember where it is. You could probably find it with a forum search.

#2268528 - 04/29/14 06:47 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
For my 1000th post, here you go: http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

#2268587 - 04/29/14 09:26 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: 8 Octaves]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Eight Octaves
Monica, where can I find the rules to the quarterly recital? When do they take place, and when is the deadline for the current one?

Watch for a thread entitled something like "Recital #34 (35? I don't remember... I'll have to look it up! whome ) -- Call for submissions" appearing late the night of April 30th or early May 1. It will have all the details in there, but the main thing you need to know for now is to start trying to get an mp3 file of your recording. The recital website will be open for submissions between May 1 and 9:00 pm EDT May 14th.

MarieJ, I hope you have your Zoom figured out by then and can submit something. And welcome to the forum! smile

#2268605 - 04/29/14 10:38 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Congratulations, Pathbreaker. Excellent post #1000. smile

Cathy

#2268660 - 04/29/14 12:36 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'm getting closer. I set out to record the first of the six pieces that make up my submission (one Opus number, don't worry, not too long!) and just kept going. I think I'll use that, warts and all instead of trying to record each one.

But the sixth will take a while longer. It's not fully memorized and I wasn't ready to record it. Might have to go closer to the May 15th deadline than I normally do.

Kawai K3

#2268661 - 04/29/14 12:41 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
So it will be a short jazzy piece for me, as it often has been. Unfortunately it's part of the ABRSM grade 2 exam, so there's already plenty of kids that play it better than me out there, but whatever! It will be ready for recording in about a week.

#2268699 - 04/29/14 02:13 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
N17 Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I'm hoping to have a short little piece ready to enter into this recital. It would be my first recital, not only on the ABF, but of any kind. I'm on various stages of two or three pieces at the moment, but my submission will likely be similar to my April Piano Bar contribution/first recording. A short, classical minuet or dance of some kind. I'm very excited and working hard to be involved in the recital. Even if my second attempt at recording doesn't go as planned over the next two weeks, I'm looking forward to all the submissions and surprises being mentioned here

COYS

#2268713 - 04/29/14 02:37 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
8 Octaves Offline

Thanks for the info, Monica and great find on link, Pathbreaker - I bookmarked it. Now, I just need to figure out how to do this.... Look forward to join in on the fun... um, no laughing please.... blush

#2268723 - 04/29/14 02:55 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: sinophilia]
8 Octaves Offline

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
So it will be a short jazzy piece for me, as it often has been. Unfortunately it's part of the ABRSM grade 2 exam, so there's already plenty of kids that play it better than me out there, but whatever! It will be ready for recording in about a week.

Hey, no apologies for playing ABRSM Grade 2 music. If you start doing that, then I have to apologize for every single piece of music I have ever learned since they are all RCM/ABRSM graded music played brilliantly by children on YouTube. I started from RCM Grade 1. Never look at a child on YouTube playing your music. Never, just don't it. Too depressing. I have learned not to abuse myself like that! grin Having said that, I just saw an 8-year-old playing a Beethoven sonatina that I had permission to "put away" lately and she played it so much faster than me.... cry (She was eight! And I thought I had made it to 12-year-old music.)

#2268725 - 04/29/14 03:07 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: 8 Octaves]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
Never look at a child on YouTube playing your music. Never, just don't it. Too depressing. I have learned not to abuse myself like that! grin Having said that, I just saw an 8-year-old playing a Beethoven sonatina that I had permission to "put away" lately and she played it so much faster than me.... cry (She was eight! And I thought I had made it to 12-year-old music.)
I actually get inspired by watching children easily play music I struggle with. It motivates me to play better.

#2268780 - 04/29/14 05:46 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: noobpianist90]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By: noobpianist90
Never look at a child on YouTube playing your music. Never, just don't it. Too depressing. I have learned not to abuse myself like that! grin Having said that, I just saw an 8-year-old playing a Beethoven sonatina that I had permission to "put away" lately and she played it so much faster than me.... cry (She was eight! And I thought I had made it to 12-year-old music.)
I actually get inspired by watching children easily play music I struggle with. It motivates me to play better.

Someone said "Never perform with animals or children" . . . wise words!

""

#2268810 - 04/29/14 07:12 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: 8 Octaves]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
... I just saw an 8-year-old playing a Beethoven sonatina that I had permission to "put away" lately and she played it so much faster than me.... cry (She was eight! And I thought I had made it to 12-year-old music.)

You are playing 12 year old music. It's just that the 8 years old is playing 14 year old music. That all! smile

Seriously.... You say faster. Was it any more musical? Was it musical at all? That's what it's all about.

#2268850 - 04/29/14 08:57 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: rnaple]
8 Octaves Offline

Originally Posted By: rnaple
Seriously.... You say faster. Was it any more musical? Was it musical at all? That's what it's all about.

OK, if you put me to task, the way the 8-year-old girl played was basically non-sense musically especially from perspective of Beethoven. laugh But she did play with that extremely smooth flow in legato, perfect staccato articulation, and complete mastery in memory that few adults beginners seem to master (ever). It's like speaking completely fluently without accent of a native speaker, but content desert typical of an 8-year-old.

#2268878 - 04/29/14 09:40 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
I try to avoid watching too much stuff like this on youtube, if I can. Hopefully I'll find other performers I can aspire to.

I think usually any kid, or at least most that are sharing their wares at this level, are likely in a very small percentile to begin with. Occasionally, I've come across a live performer and I've thought to myself ... how could someone that young be that talented. I don't really know the answer ... spirituality/channeling come to mind.

I've managed to get a recording tonight that I believe I will stick with. It has to pass the "is it acceptable tomorrow morning" test, but I'm fairly confident it will make it. I've had to flush only two already this way. Funny, how little things can really start to annoy you when they just won't go away. The miraculous thing is though, the piece is actually in much better shape then it was at the time of first recording, last weekend ... long since flushed. Of course, all due to the recording process and having to live with it.

So, very happy I can move along to other stuff now. Well, post tomorrow morning ... smile.

#2268905 - 04/29/14 10:31 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: 8 Octaves]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia

7 billion people on the planet quite a few of them height and age challenged. With just about every parent looking for any modicum of talent and tripping over each other to show it off to the world is there any wonder why youtube has so many little prodigies?

Unfortunately while it is never wise to compare ourselves to others (no matter what age) it is an inbuilt competitiveness that makes us do this. On the plus side this is what gives us drive and determination.

#2268909 - 04/29/14 10:36 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: earlofmar]
8 Octaves Offline

For sure. I will speak out of both sides of my mouth. As soon as I say NEVER look at YouTube I'm already looking at some youngster playing something or another because it's there and I can't stop myself. smirk

#2268997 - 04/30/14 07:29 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
rnaple Offline

If you all would like to look at one child who is an exception to all you talk about with prodigies. Look at Emily Bear. She will inspire you.
With only having heard her siblings practice. She walked up to a piano and played a perfect C scale at 2 years old.
Yes her grandmother had been a concert pianist. Much support there.
Her parents are extremely wise. They took her to some of the best teachers there are. They developed her musical ability. Everything she was taught she soaked up like a sponge. She was being compared to Mozart. Yet, with her parents wisdom. They didn't want her to be another driven creature. They just wanted her to be a happy little girl. The only things they pushed on her were other things. Like going to summer camp. Which as I remember, her mother made sure there wasn't a piano within 50 miles of the camp. smile
She wrote a thousand original melodies by the time she was 10 years old.
Recently she was invited to a seminar for composers of music in film. Something only the best and talented are invited to.
She loves jazz. But wants to become a composer for film. Like John Williams.
She is, I think, 14 years old now.
Her latest album is Diversity. Quincy Jones was the producer.

Study Emily and it will inspire you.

Edited by rnaple (04/30/14 08:14 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#2269011 - 04/30/14 08:09 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: rnaple]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
If you all would like to look at one child who is an exception to all you talk about with prodigies. Look at Emily Bear. The will inspire you.

I've listened to a few compositions by Emily Bear. I particularly enjoyed "Santa Fe".

#2269145 - 04/30/14 03:46 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
So I spent some time with the Zoom this afternoon, and got a recording of my recital piece that I felt pretty good about all the way up until the very last dramatic run at the end of the piece, during which I skipped a note. frown So now I have to decide to submit a recording with a skipped note that I otherwise feel good about, or hold out for better.

Yeah, I know, I'll end up doing what I always do: submit my flawed recording fairly early and then try (usually futilely) to come up with a better take later. whome

#2269186 - 04/30/14 05:41 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
8 Octaves Offline

My recording is done as well. I did about 3 takes and I think that was all I could stand. I think I am lacking in the patience and persistence department when it comes to recording. It's all new to me. So there are mistakes. I hope the forum are not expecting note perfect performance. I am not going to start editing nor do I have the tools for that. That's just not going to happen for me.... Maybe I could start a new trend and train the forum used to hearing mistakes from recital performances. blush

#2269188 - 04/30/14 05:45 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: 8 Octaves]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Maybe I could start a new trend and train the forum used to hearing mistakes from recital performances. blush

You obviously haven't listened to any of my recital performances.

We all make mistakes - no one here is perfect...

Sam

#2269189 - 04/30/14 05:47 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: 8 Octaves]
rnaple Offline

My recording is done as well. ...there are mistakes. I hope the forum are not expecting note perfect performance. ...

You are required to make at least one mistake. Performances without any mistakes are met with tar, and feathering. smile

#2269197 - 04/30/14 05:56 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: rnaple]
8 Octaves Offline

My recording is done as well. ...there are mistakes. I hope the forum are not expecting note perfect performance. ...

You are required to make at least one mistake. Performances without any mistakes are met with tar, and feathering. smile

Oh, good. I definitely passed that test!

#2269342 - 04/30/14 10:44 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
So now I have to decide to submit a recording with a skipped note that I otherwise feel good about, or hold out for better.

This is exactly what I'm agonizing over!
help

#2269351 - 04/30/14 10:52 PM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Eh, when you hear the duet I just submitted, you all will realize you have worried over nothing. My sister and I really pounded this one out. So, the results are not the greatest. Main thing is we had fun. If I can post this recording up, anyone with a mistake or two have no worries.

#2269388 - 05/01/14 12:41 AM Re: The traditional one month to recital thread [Re: Monica K.]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Hey hey! I just submitted my piece! Yippee!

I am pretty happy with the recording this time. Starting to get the hang of it ??? heh heh.

The piece is Seventh Street Blues by Martha Mier. It's an introductory Blues piece included in Martha Mier's book, "Jazz, Rags, and Blues."

On the Tchaikovsky recital, I was able to download all of the .mp3 files and put them together on my iPod touch. Worked out great! I want to do that again this time around. I am looking forward to this recital because of the anticipated diversity of the styles of pieces. Can't wait!

Best wishes,

AZ_Astro

Edited by AZ_Astro (05/01/14 12:42 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
Today at 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Who's Online
42 registered (Andy001, 36251, Beemer, Calvin Lee, casinitaly, 4 invisible), 858 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157637 Topics
2315442 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission