Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2269217 - 04/30/14 06:35 PM Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more
christineka Offline

Loc: Utah
My son won a piano in a contest. It's really neat and all, but it's not any better than the piano we already have, so I'm selling it to help fund the grand piano. I have a very interested buyer, but she has concerns.

She lived in the eastern US and now lives in Utah. When she was moving, all her piano experts told her she should not move an eastern piano to the west or the sound board would crack. Personally, I think this is bunk because pianos have historically been manufactured in the east (correct?) and so most of the pianos we have out here are from the east. I could be wrong about things. Anyway, this piano came from Connecticut (or maybe New York?) and only arrived in Utah in February. She's concerned that during the summer, the piano is going to fall apart. I had thought running a humidifier on occasion would prevent that problem, but you tell me, please.

The other concern is that there are two, small cracks in the soundboard. (I can photograph, if needed.) They run along the grain of the wood. My tech says they aren't a problem, unless there's buzzing, which there isn't. He says they can easily be glued. What say you?

Last of all, I know you hate this question, but I'll ask anyway, do you think $1700 for a 1959 Baldwin Hamilton piano that has two small cracks, tight tuning pins, is in tune, and has a beautiful outside finish (dark brown) is unreasonable?

Edited by christineka (04/30/14 06:37 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2269237 - 04/30/14 07:06 PM Re: Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more [Re: christineka]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Did he win the piano in a contest because of his ability, or need, or some sort of charitable cause/reason? If so (and it was given to you for free), have you considered "paying it forward" to another deserving student in a similar situation without a piano?

If I were helping a student who was shopping for that piano, there's no way I'd advise them to pay that much for it. Old studio and console uprights sell for less than $1000, typically.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2269260 - 04/30/14 07:49 PM Re: Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more [Re: christineka]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
I bought a pretty nice Baldwin 243 studio upright (circa 1985) from a local college for a little over $500. If you can get $1700 you are doing quite well...

As far as the difference in climate, that is always a concern; but pianos are tougher than we might think. Once it gets acclimatized to its new location it should be fine.

Rick

#2269379 - 04/30/14 11:59 PM Re: Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more [Re: christineka]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
I found a wonderful refurbished 6' 7" Feurich last September (2013)in Baltimore Md. I was very concerned about moving it to the dry climate of the High Desert in Bend Oregon. The complete humidity kit was installed before moving and we also got a room humidifier. This piano has been wonderfully stable. We are moving to a larger house in a month or so and have the humidifier on the furnace system. This piano has been fabulous, of course it is a fine quality piano in the first place.!!

#2269509 - 05/01/14 08:58 AM Re: Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more [Re: christineka]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I like the idea of paying it forward - if not, put a full DC in the piano, and try to keep moisture in the room (at least 30%). Trouble for soundboards seems to begin at 15% or lower RH.

#2269510 - 05/01/14 09:01 AM Re: Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more [Re: christineka]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Any change in climate will effect a piano and so will moving a piano within a consistent climate. While it is possible for a soundboard to crack while being moved, it is a rare thing and totally preventable. Use a piano mover who heats his cab in the winter. Cooling in the summer would be nice but not as necessary IMHO.

In addition, if a swing in humidity and temperature causes a split in a soundboard, that crack wasn't far away from showing itself anyway, IMHO.

I did have one terrible experience this past winter. I won't go into details but thank goodness the mover was properly insured. Even professionals can make a mistake and when you are dealing with a very expensive piano - one mistake can be very costly. My advice - always get a copy of an insurance certificate that tells what your coverage is.

Many movers are under insured (at least for moving really exquisite pianos) so you might have to buy extra insurance.

My 2 cents,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2269518 - 05/01/14 09:13 AM Re: Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more [Re: Rich Galassini]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini
Use a piano mover who heats his cab in the winter.

Rich - Minor correction.

I think you mean "box" or "trailer" rather than cab.

If the cab ain't got no heat, look for a dif'rent fleet. (Burma Shave)

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2269704 - 05/01/14 04:34 PM Re: Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini
Use a piano mover who heats his cab in the winter.

Rich - Minor correction.

I think you mean "box" or "trailer" rather than cab.

If the cab ain't got no heat, look for a dif'rent fleet. (Burma Shave)

Thank you Marty! You are, as usual, correct. smile
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2269709 - 05/01/14 04:43 PM Re: Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more [Re: christineka]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Upstate N.Y.
Maintaining humidity between 40-45% is optimal. Avoiding large and/or rapid fluctuations in humidity is also important. Exposing your piano to extended periods of low humidity could cause the soundboard to shrink and open up those existing cracks, IMHO.

Generally, tight, hairline cracks tend not to be a problem, while larger cracks with gaps are a red flag (especially if you can see light through them). Hairline cracks can be sealed with marine epoxy.
Yamaha P155

#2270092 - 05/02/14 09:28 AM Re: Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more [Re: christineka]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...Even professionals can make a mistake and when you are dealing with a very expensive piano - one mistake can be very costly. My advice - always get a copy of an insurance certificate that tells what your coverage is.

"Many movers are under-insured (at least for moving really exquisite pianos) so you might have to buy extra insurance..."

This advice is worth its weight in gold. I would guess that the underinsured carriers are the very ones a customer would have the most trouble with, getting the insurance cert.

As for the contemplated sale of the 'won' piano, the purchaser should be the one asking for this information. Receiving it at third hand through a party who has a financial interest in the sale, is a very poor practice.

#2270391 - 05/02/14 10:31 PM Re: Moving a piano from humid east to arid west, and more [Re: christineka]
davidglenn Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I would think the "Piano Life Saver System" made by the dampp chaser company, would keep the humidity in the piano stable. You would want to make sure to get the full system, with both humidifying and de-humidifying capabilities. A partial system would just de-humidify (dampp-chaser). I have installed many of these systems in different pianos. They can be calibrated from the factory for different humidity levels desired. But the standard system should work fine inside a newer home. Is the piano your son won the 1959 Baldwin/Hamilton? Is it upright or a grand?
1952 Baldwin M Baby Grand
1922 fully restored Estey 6' Grand
1910 restored Estey Upright
Yamaha PSR-750

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
23 minutes 2 seconds ago
Teachers: Do you use John Thomson method books?
by Morodiene
55 minutes 55 seconds ago
Funny but true...
by PhilipInChina
Today at 08:56 PM
Reger's Piano Variations
by argerichfan
Today at 08:36 PM
What is the Typical Piano Consignment Split?
by Paul678
Today at 06:58 PM
Who's Online
114 registered (ajames, alans, aesop, Anne'sson, accordeur, 27 invisible), 1258 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157521 Topics
2313824 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission