2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Monica, before I start hacking in all these codes, can you confirm that the suggestion by carlos88 would work? Or, that it would appear properly when you release the text?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

You're talking to a computer dummy, wouter79. I have no idea if Carlos's idea would work. All I know is that when somebody uses a strange character the program doesn't like, it produces about 3 lines of gibberish that looks scarily similar to the REAL code, and I have to painstakingly go through and separate the bad gibberish from the good gibberish in a trial and error sort of way. I'd just as soon we sacrifice phonetic accuracy for administrator ease. help

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Website is doing weird things. I did not make the quote in Carlos88's most recent post.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

C
C
Originally Posted by dynamobt
Website is doing weird things. I did not make the quote in Carlos88's most recent post.

That was definitely my fault when editing the message and losing some of the quote wrappers.

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by dynamobt
That was definitely my fault when editing the message and losing some of the quote wrappers.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Ah, I see.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I've got one Billy Joel song recorded and in the hopper, but was considering to submit another instead. But now I see (in post #1) that the "recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces."

Does that mean that I can submit TWO pieces back to back (related because they're both by Billy Joel) as a medley? (Total time would be about 8 minutes.) If so, would I physically have to play them in realtime back-to-back? Or could I take the best recording of each and attempt "splice" them together?

I'm not looking to "cheat", but just want to clarify that rule.

Thanks!

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Hey, Newbert, you can submit the two Billy Joel pieces as a medley, but they need to be submitted as a single mp3 file. You could do this either in a heroic bout with the Red Dot and playing them back to back real time, or you can edit them together (and just mention that you spliced them together in your comments).

That's not cheating, in my book. smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newbert
I've got one Billy Joel song recorded and in the hopper, but was considering to submit another instead. But now I see (in post #1) that the "recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces."

Does that mean that I can submit TWO pieces back to back (related because they're both by Billy Joel) as a medley? (Total time would be about 8 minutes.) If so, would I physically have to play them in realtime back-to-back? Or could I take the best recording of each and attempt "splice" them together?

Thanks!

Newbert, these recitals were set up as a way to somewhat replicate the setting of a real recital. In many ways, it IS a 'real' recital as we are submitting our best recorded performances for others to hear and enjoy.

Of course, there is a slight catch. More like a perk. A pretty big one!

The 'perk' is that in this online format, the performances are not 'live', but rather recorded. Unlike a live performance, you are able to make as many attempts at getting your best 'take' of your performance as you want. First take, second, fifth, forty third...whatever. This is a HUGE benefit that a lot of us may take for granted. I for one would probably choke in a live concert setting in which you must perform your best every first performance.

Anyway, in a live recital, if you were to perform a compilation of several medleys, that would be fine. As long as you strung them together as one complete performance done in one sitting. If you want to perform several medleys in our ABF recitals, it would only be fair to everyone else to do this compilation in one complete sitting. Just as you would in a live recital. Of course, just like everybody else, you can make as many attempts at your 'one' complete performance. This is what we are all doing. Unlimited attempts at one complete submission.

If you were to record several individual tunes and then splice them together as a medley, then that's what you would have....a spliced together medley of individually recorded tunes. That would be the equivalent of someone recording their performance in several individually recorded sections and then splicing them together as one complete recording/medley.

I hope I've supported my logic as to why I would suggest you record your several tunes back to back...and end up with a single performance medley of several compiled tunes.

I look forward to hearing it. Medleys, original compositions, written score, whatever. It's all good.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Monica K.
You're talking to a computer dummy, wouter79. I have no idea if Carlos's idea would work. All I know is that when somebody uses a strange character the program doesn't like, it produces about 3 lines of gibberish that looks scarily similar to the REAL code, and I have to painstakingly go through and separate the bad gibberish from the good gibberish in a trial and error sort of way. I'd just as soon we sacrifice phonetic accuracy for administrator ease. help

ok thanks. Am I right that you are just create a new thread here on PW and then copy the texts one by one from the program into this new thread? If that's the case, Carlos's suggestion would not work either and "& amp;" would just show up like that, and not like "ä".

BTW I notice right now that this forum also does weird things with the text. If I type "& amp;" but without the space as it should be, I get only "&"

Last edited by wouter79; 05/02/14 12:35 AM.

C
C
Originally Posted by wouter79
Originally Posted by Monica K.

ok thanks. Am I right that you are just create a new thread here on PW and then copy the texts one by one from the program into this new thread? If that's the case, Carlos's suggestion would not work either and "& amp;" would just show up like that, and not like "ä".

BTW I notice right now that this forum also does weird things with the text. If I type "& amp;" but without the space as it should be, I get only "&"

That sounds right for encoding - & should get recognized as a special text sequence and shown as an & when it is displayed.

Depending on how the text is copied by someone, it could either keep the original text with the & and ; characters, or might lose those. I agree that the main goal should be to make Monica's life as easy as possible for the recital information handling :-)

Horrifically boring software digression - this is the part where my sister would walk out of the room - there are a number of ways of encoding special characters, so that the software processing and display of text doesn't get confused.

One of them uses the starting & and the ending ; in a &...; pattern (without spaces) to indicate those boundaries. http://ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm, under the HTML Name column shows these, including the umlaut vowel variations.

The main issue is that you either have to know what kind of encoding the server and database are using for special characters, or have to guess a couple of times with different encodings to see which one gets displayed correctly.

Last edited by carlos88; 05/02/14 01:12 AM.

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks, so you are saying it would be working ok, under the assumption that Monica just copies the text as I suggested, including the & codes?

And that I should not use & amp; but & auml; ?

Last edited by wouter79; 05/02/14 01:16 AM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky

Newbert, these recitals were set up as a way to somewhat replicate the setting of a real recital. In many ways, it IS a 'real' recital as we are submitting our best recorded performances for others to hear and enjoy.(...)

Right. That's why my piece has some errors, missing notes and hesitations smile As usual.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
And I'm in at number 18 with a totally different piece... I guess I will post the jazzy one in the piano bar. I think it's the first time that I upload something that's longer than 1 minute!

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky

Thanks!

Newbert, these recitals were set up as a way to somewhat replicate the setting of a real recital. In many ways, it IS a 'real' recital as we are submitting our best recorded performances for others to hear and enjoy.

Of course, there is a slight catch. More like a perk. A pretty big one!

The 'perk' is that in this online format, the performances are not 'live', but rather recorded. Unlike a live performance, you are able to make as many attempts at getting your best 'take' of your performance as you want. First take, second, fifth, forty third...whatever. This is a HUGE benefit that a lot of us may take for granted. I for one would probably choke in a live concert setting in which you must perform your best every first performance.

Anyway, in a live recital, if you were to perform a compilation of several medleys, that would be fine. As long as you strung them together as one complete performance done in one sitting. If you want to perform several medleys in our ABF recitals, it would only be fair to everyone else to do this compilation in one complete sitting. Just as you would in a live recital. Of course, just like everybody else, you can make as many attempts at your 'one' complete performance. This is what we are all doing. Unlimited attempts at one complete submission.

If you were to record several individual tunes and then splice them together as a medley, then that's what you would have....a spliced together medley of individually recorded tunes. That would be the equivalent of someone recording their performance in several individually recorded sections and then splicing them together as one complete recording/medley.

I hope I've supported my logic as to why I would suggest you record your several tunes back to back...and end up with a single performance medley of several compiled tunes.

I look forward to hearing it. Medleys, original compositions, written score, whatever. It's all good.

OK. Fully understood. I think that I'll just choose one and leave it at that, as I have enough trouble recording either one of them (individually) in an acceptable manner. Maybe I'll just keep the 2nd one in the hopper for the next recital....

Thanks for the clarification.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Maybe I'll just keep the 2nd one in the hopper for the next recital....

Thanks for the clarification.

Always good to have a spare lying around. I have been caught before failing to get a piece ready for recital and needing a plan B.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Somebody just sent me an email from an email address I don't recognize that contained nothing but an audio file, with no accompanying letter of explanation. I'm guessing it was a request for help in uploading to the recital website, but there was no submission matching the attached piece in the queue. Also, the file was in an m4a format, which the recital website doesn't accept. So if you're the mystery person who is trying to submit to the recital, you need to convert your file to mp3 format (just look online for "free m4a to mp3 converter") first, and then follow the instructions on the recital site. The good news is that you have 12 days to figure it out. smile

J
J
Almost finished my piece :))))

I was going to submit Kyle Landry's version of Time (Hans Zimmer, from Inception) but I haven't finished it yet. Instead I will use an easier interpretation of the song that someone showed me awhile ago.

XXXV [Linked Image]
XXXIII [Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
ok I updated the title etc as Carlos suggested.

On the upload page the titles now show literally "ä"

Monica, can you check if this will this work out properly in the final version on the PW pages?

Last edited by wouter79; 05/02/14 04:10 PM.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
ok I updated the title etc as Carlos suggested.

On the upload page the titles now show literally "ä"

Monica, can you check if this will this work out properly in the final version on the PW pages?

Who knows for sure, but I think all she does is copy and paste, and when I go to the admin page, copy the title, and paste it back, I get this:

Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei".

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission