2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2269746 05/01/14 05:55 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I am going into a reputable music school for piano performance for my freshman year. I'm only eighteen, but I think my piano playing is pretty advanced considering I took Appassionata to my auditions and was offered great scholarships. So... considering this background... Do you guys think I can learn La Campanella? It's my absolute favorite piece (or at least one of my absolute favorites) and I would love to learn it!
If you think I could do it, do you think some of you might give me some tips/pointers? smile

*Fiona*

"If music be food of love, play on!"
P.S. I am in love with Beethoven, infatuated with Liszt, and crazy about Chopin!
And when he behaves, Rachmaninoff is my darling! ;p
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Slow practice.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Ask your instructor. That is the point of an education. Someone who can work with you on it should be able to assess how close you are and how best to get to where you want to go. A piece that excites you can be a great way to make progress, and a good instructor should take advantage of that.

Keep in mind that it may take longer than you expect, and that there may be side journeys that you need to make. After all, you should not center your entire life with the piano on one 5 minute piece!

Semipro Tech
BDB #2269769 05/01/14 07:10 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by BDB
Keep in mind that it may take longer than you expect, and that there may be side journeys that you need to make. After all, you should not center your entire life with the piano on one 5 minute piece!

True... I am just hoping to play it masterfully in say... 4 years? For my graduation. smile I will definitely not be totally focused on this. I will try to learn half a page everyday if I do decide to pursue this and then just practice it after I've practiced all my more... realistic repertoire - I guess? smile

*Fiona*

P.S. I am in love with Beethoven, infatuated with Liszt, and crazy about Chopin!
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Fiona0424
I am just hoping to play it masterfully in say... 4 years? For my graduation. smile I will definitely not be totally focused on this. I will try to learn half a page everyday...

It'll take four years to learn half a page every day? crazy

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
OP Offline
F
NO!!!!! I will learn the whole thing in a few months, but I will incorporate musicality and speed slowly... taking my time. Then I will perform it for my graduation. smile
Sorry about that misunderstanding... :S

*Fiona*

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sure. You'll probably be required to learn a handful of Romantic concert etudes, just pick that as the first one you start. It's easier than the Appassionata, much briefer, and far less emotionally complex.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I'm interested to hear a clip of you playing.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
OP Offline
F
I will definitely try to post a vid or recording of Appassionata soon. smile I will definitely want your advice since I've noticed how mercilessly honest you are.

*Fiona*

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Sure. You'll probably be required to learn a handful of Romantic concert etudes, just pick that as the first one you start. It's easier than the Appassionata, much briefer, and far less emotionally complex.

Are you being sarcastic? It's hard to distinguish on this forum. :S I always thought Appassionata was much simpler than La Campanella.
What is your opinion, Polyphonist?

*Fiona*

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
The Appassionata is more complex.

Regards,

Polyphonist
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
The Appassionata is more complex.

I hope your being honest with me... :S
If that is the case, I will set to learning La Campanella straight away. Any advice on learning it?

*Fiona*

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
La Campanella certainly SOUNDS less complex as a completed work, but there appear to be some specific acrobatics required of La Campanella that certainly make it extremely difficult to play cleanly.

I would venture to guess, though, that once one that finite set of technical hurdles are surmounted, a really great La Campanella is probably a whole lot more straightforward to pull off than a really great Appassionata.

I may be wrong, but the sense I get from those performers who keep La Campanella in their stable of current work, is that it's not so much a weighty piece of profound art, but more of a party trick to be pulled out to dazzle at encores. Granted, it's enormously entertaining and if I had the chops, I'd love to learn how to do it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is nearly as complex as other major works in the classical repertoire.

If you think you could tackle the set of technical hurdles required of you, you'd probably get this thing learned a lot more quickly than you think you will. It doesn't strike me as something that takes years to polish to perfection so much as it simply takes a pianist whose technical skills have been trained up to a very high level properly. Something there's no real point in working on prior to, and then after that threshold is passed, it probably succumbs to some hard work and a bit of patience and then there it is.

I could be wrong, of course. But that's the sense I get. As a listener, it doesn't seem to hold a candle to Appassionata in terms of depth and complexity.

Good luck!

I would love to hear your Appassionata, if you have it recorded! Welcome!

Sure....

+1

While it's impossible ever to know for sure about things like this, I think most people who can capably play the Appassionata would be able to play La Campanella.

Or maybe it's more correct to put it in terms of negation of the negative.... grin

I think it would absolutely wrong to tell anyone who can play the Appassionata that they shouldn't feel free to try La Campanella. And this doesn't mean I'm saying that La Campanella is no harder -- I'm not sure which piece is harder, you could argue it either way.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
La Campanella certainly SOUNDS less complex as a completed work, but there appear to be some specific acrobatics required of La Campanella that certainly make it extremely difficult to play cleanly.

The Appassionata has more difficult specific acrobatics. I find. But it's also longer so there is more of everything. And you're talking about Campanella here, not Feux-follets.

P.S. I was not being sarcastic smile

Last edited by hreichgott; 05/02/14 12:01 AM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I'm interested to hear a clip of you playing.

Beat me to it...

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
P.S. I was not being sarcastic smile
I don't think I've ever seen you be sarcastic... smile

Fiona, I would imagine that, since you've tackled Appasionata, you would be able to tell by yourself what is needed to play "anything" from there on, especially if we're talking about some "normal" music (not a totally weird contemporary word, which might need some explaining)... smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Sure, go for it. Learn the notes and see what happens. Nothing you learn at this point is going to be the end all version of you playing it. You may learn it, then put it down and pick it up again in a few years, maybe for a recital in school, maybe 10 years down the road.

Learn as many pieces as you can, especially between now and when you start school. Etudes, Bach P&Fs, Beethoven etc. The more stuff you can get in your hands the better.

Good luck in school!

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

The Appassionata has more difficult specific acrobatics. I find.

Really? O_O Like which part? The rapid two-octave jumps in La Campanella are beastly

Poetry is rhythm
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by phantomFive

The rapid two-octave jumps in La Campanella are beastly

I once thought this. It's actually not difficult at all; what makes this even more unnerving: I'm not even kidding.

I gave it a shot one day out of boredom, and played with it for some days thereafter in short bursts of similar boredom. Soon enough, the motion sets in and you can recite those leaps pretty easily.

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission