Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds
Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds with Emphasis on the Piano
Learn More

or
Buy This Book on Amazon.com
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Pianoteq
Who's Online
74 registered (bigjayuzumi, anamnesis, Allar A, 24 invisible), 1035 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2270174 - 05/02/14 12:30 PM A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday.
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: Edmonton Alberta
Hello boys and girls,

Just wanted to bring everyone up to speed on the new RP401R and F130R pianos Roland announced yesterday.

Our newer SuperNatural Piano engine and the all new PHA4 Standard Piano action really make this feel and sound like way more than just an entry level piano. PHA4 Standard feels almost exactly like the Premium version, and is vastly improved from the previous Ivory Feel-G action. The speaker system on the RP401R and F130R is also very much improved on their predecessors. Japan has done a fantastic job in designing a louder and richer speaker system for these pianos while maintaining their efficiency. New for the RP and F-130 Series is full compatibility with both Air Recorder and Piano Partner iOS apps (Including Digiscore Lite). They also maintain the Headphone 3D Ambience feature from the HP series as well.

These are both upper end of the entry level prices in their class, but having had an F-130R in White at home for quite a while now, and being as picky as I am, I'm impressed by what we've managed to accomplish with our "entry level" new piano action. It has the separate keybed scanning sensor I've described in another thread and responds really well.

Here's a link to the Roland US blog on the pianos:

http://www.rolandus.com/blog/2014/05/01/new-rp-401r-and-f-130r-digital-pianos/

I took the day off today, and have a ton to do to get ready to go to Montreal next week. I'll check in tonight to see if anyone wants more details.

Jay

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2270192 - 05/02/14 01:00 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
The F130R sounds like a serious contender for the dp90 s, let alone a starter piano; but `er indoors won`t let me have it in red! PHA4 in other colours? (I do like the red one btw . . frown . .)

""

#2270252 - 05/02/14 03:51 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
lophiomys Online   content

Loc: Austria, EU
Thanks for the hint.

What is the difference between PHA4 Standard and Premium and Concert?

(Personally I could not feel a difference between PHA4 Premium (HP-504)
and Concert(HP-506) during a quick test.)

#2270279 - 05/02/14 04:47 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Interesting to hear that Ivory-Feel G has been much improved. I await some field reports!

The F130R is already on sale (with pics etc) at the Anderton's site. 829... that's the same as the F120, plus you get rhythms as per the F120R, which goes for 1299!

If the new key action is any good, it looks like a bargain!

edit: link to F130R on Roland US site

Edited by lolatu (05/02/14 05:51 PM)

#2270285 - 05/02/14 04:51 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: lophiomys]
Jay Roland Offline

Originally Posted By: lophiomys
Thanks for the hint.

What is the difference between PHA4 Standard and Premium and Concert?

(Personally I could not feel a difference between PHA4 Premium (HP-504)
and Concert(HP-506) during a quick test.)

As far as the insides, I haven't had a look yet. All I've done is play it. And it feels very similar to the PHA4 Premium. At some point I will probably take one of these things apart and check it out just to see for myself what is new.

It is the evolution of Ivory Feel G which was the lightweight version of our PHA3 action. It is/was used in products like the FA-08, FP-50, RP301, F120, RD300NX.

Can't wait until we deliver some of these and the customers get to see the value. They are really really really really really (is that enough "really's) great pianos for the money.

Jay

#2270298 - 05/02/14 05:20 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I must admit that these are tempting for home use. I'm hoping for two improvements over the FP-50:
1. That the PHA4 Standard has better response, particularly in terms of the black keys, and requires a little less effort to play, generally.
2. That the speakers can handle acoustic piano and acoustic bass splits without distorting the upper mid range at normal playing volume.

It sounds like the first criteria has been met, which is very good news.

I hope that there is also an upgrade to the FP-50 very soon that incorporates these improvements.

Nice one, Roland!

#2270324 - 05/02/14 06:18 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
petes1 Offline

They both look quite nice and appear to give a lot of bang for the buck, but of course the proof will be in the testing of both the sound and the feel. But knowing Roland, both are bound to be good. I've tried various Roland keys and have been blown away by them.

Oh, and BTW, any word on when the RD 800's will be re-released from purgatory? I'm anxiously awaiting to buy one.

#2270333 - 05/02/14 06:35 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: petes1]
Jay Roland Offline

Originally Posted By: petes1

Oh, and BTW, any word on when the RD 800's will be re-released from purgatory? I'm anxiously awaiting to buy one.

Wish I had something official to tell you. On the bright side, your money is collecting minimal interest while you don't spend it! laugh ha

I am hoping to share an update soon. As soon as I get anything, and our Canadian dealers and end users are all personally updated, I will share it here.

Believe me when i say your faith and trust in Roland is appreciated!

Jay

#2270336 - 05/02/14 06:40 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: voxpops]
Jay Roland Offline

Originally Posted By: voxpops
I must admit that these are tempting for home use. I'm hoping for two improvements over the FP-50:
1. That the PHA4 Standard has better response, particularly in terms of the black keys, and requires a little less effort to play, generally.
2. That the speakers can handle acoustic piano and acoustic bass splits without distorting the upper mid range at normal playing volume.

I hope that there is also an upgrade to the FP-50 very soon that incorporates these improvements.

Nice one, Roland!

Number 2 sounds good to me as well. I just tried an Acoustic Bass/Cymbal & Piano Split on the F130R. And no audible distortion at max volume.

Jay

#2270339 - 05/02/14 06:49 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Jay said: [PHA-4 Standard]is the evolution of Ivory Feel G which was the lightweight version of our PHA3 action.

This is interesting because the PHAIII felt vastly superior - and very different - to Ivory G-Feel. At least it did to me, and I think most people thought the same. And G-Feel was a big improvement on PHA alpha II - the only Roland action I really did not like smile

So if there is a type of PHAIV in these budget priced pianos, this is quite a development......SN Piano too - Rolls Royce features for Fiat Panda prices. Very nice!

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2270341 - 05/02/14 06:56 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jay Roland
Originally Posted By: voxpops

Nice one, Roland!

Number 2 sounds good to me as well. I just tried an Acoustic Bass/Cymbal & Piano Split on the F130R. And no audible distortion at max volume.

Jay

Very encouraging! Could you try it without the cymbal, as well, Jay, as I found that the raw acoutic bass reacted a little differently with piano? Thanks!

The area that was most obviously affected was the piano around one-and-a-half to two-and-a-half octaves above middle C.

Edited by voxpops (05/02/14 07:00 PM)

#2270354 - 05/02/14 07:51 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
Jay Roland Offline

Clean up to Volume level 98. 99 and 100 there's a TINY bit. I played it very percussively and with and without sustain throughout the range you mentioned.

I'm impressed. It's a VERY different speaker system from the FP-50 (Obviously)

It's a very immersive experience. I just jammed my "test" tune again. (Oscar Peterson's "Hymn to Freedom") and it was REALLY enjoyable to play.

I still like the 2nd more mellow SuperNatural piano tone as a favourite but that's a very strong personal preference and I've always enjoyed that tone the most.

Jay

Edited by Jay Roland (05/02/14 07:52 PM)
Edit Reason: added detail.

#2270355 - 05/02/14 07:59 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: toddy]
Jay Roland Offline

Originally Posted By: toddy
Jay said: [PHA-4 Standard]is the evolution of Ivory Feel G which was the lightweight version of our PHA3 action.

This is interesting because the PHAIII felt vastly superior - and very different - to Ivory G-Feel. At least it did to me, and I think most people thought the same. And G-Feel was a big improvement on PHA alpha II - the only Roland action I really did not like smile

So if there is a type of PHAIV in these budget priced pianos, this is quite a development......SN Piano too - Rolls Royce features for Fiat Panda prices. Very nice!

The Ivory Feel G definitely fulfilled the role of a great feeling lightweight version of PHA3 for a long time. And as I mentioned above, we still use it in current products. As PHA4 Standard makes it way into other products, many more people will be able to enjoy it too.

But the more and more I play the new PHA4 Standard, the more I like it.

One of the biggest challenges I always face, is trying not to forget the instrument qualities of our pianos, in favour of sales and distribution matters related to my job.

So I'm pleased that I was almost immediately able to put the job stuff away on these pianos, and just enjoy the experience of making music! Which is really what it is all about.

Jay

#2270360 - 05/02/14 08:50 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
Digitalguy Offline

Loc: Switzerland
The Ivory Feel G definitely fulfilled the role of a great feeling lightweight version of PHA3 for a long time. And as I mentioned above, we still use it in current products. As PHA4 Standard makes it way into other products, many more people will be able to enjoy it too.

Hi Jay, I have a question for you. I don't believe, as others, that PHA3 is vastly superior to Ivory Feel G. Instead, I like that fact that this lightweight version of PHA3 has actually a heavier touch (too heavy for some, perfect for me, PHA3 is too light for me). Now my question is: is PHAIV standard more like Ivory feel G and or PHA3 when it comes to touch weight? Or is it half way between the too? Also, has it got 3 sensors?
Thanks a lot!
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2270368 - 05/02/14 09:20 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Clean up to Volume level 98. 99 and 100 there's a TINY bit. I played it very percussively and with and without sustain throughout the range you mentioned.

I'm impressed. It's a VERY different speaker system from the FP-50 (Obviously)

It's a very immersive experience. I just jammed my "test" tune again. (Oscar Peterson's "Hymn to Freedom") and it was REALLY enjoyable to play.

I still like the 2nd more mellow SuperNatural piano tone as a favourite but that's a very strong personal preference and I've always enjoyed that tone the most.

Jay

Thank you so much for doing that, Jay. It sounds like a great board!

#2270378 - 05/02/14 09:44 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Digitalguy]
Jay Roland Offline

Originally Posted By: Digitalguy

Hi Jay, I have a question for you. I don't believe, as others, that PHA3 is vastly superior to Ivory Feel G. Instead, I like that fact that this lightweight version of PHA3 has actually a heavier touch (too heavy for some, perfect for me, PHA3 is too light for me). Now my question is: is PHAIV standard more like Ivory feel G and or PHA3 when it comes to touch weight? Or is it half way between the too? Also, has it got 3 sensors?
Thanks a lot!

Triple sensor: Yes.
The touch, well that's a tough one to answer. I haven't actually measured the down weight. The prime difference is how the key feels when it hits bottom and how much quicker and more positive feeling the action is overall than Ivory feel G.

It doesn't feel like Ivory Feel G, nor is it EXACTLY like PHA4. It's right down the middle. And I like it.

When these guys hit stores, get in there and try one out. I think you'll like it.

Jay

#2270475 - 05/03/14 09:05 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
Yasu Offline

Jay -

Does the new F130R share the same speaker/amp audio system as the new DP90e/se? (two 4.75' round speakers, 12watt amps, rated at 110dB)

If so, what would the differences be between the F130R and the DP90e other than standard versus premium PHA4 (understanding the DP90se versus DP90e appears to be cabinet finish and upgrade to the concert PHA4)? Soft close lid on the DP90e/se only?

Edited by Yasu (05/03/14 10:47 AM)

#2270504 - 05/03/14 10:47 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
Yasu Offline

A little more digging shows the F130R to have two 3 3/16" x 4 3/4" oval speakers, 12 watt amps, rated at 103dB.

Some better pictures have shown the physical differences between the F130R and DP90e to be significant, with the DP90e being much more substantial (weighing 101 lbs vs. 76 lbs for the F130R)

#2270508 - 05/03/14 11:02 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
Mken Offline

1299 eh?

You can get RD700nx for 1500 these days.... I wonder how it compares.

#2270525 - 05/03/14 11:55 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Mken]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mken
1299 eh?

You can get RD700nx for 1500 these days.... I wonder how it compares.

No, F130R is 829. 1299 is for the F120R (which always seemed overpriced to me given its modest improvements over the F120).

#2270745 - 05/03/14 10:42 PM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: lolatu]
Jay Roland Offline

Originally Posted By: lolatu

No, F130R is 829. 1299 is for the F120R (which always seemed overpriced to me given its modest improvements over the F120).

One of the biggest cost components of the F120R series was the polished polyester finished cabinet and not so much the arranger engine etc. Although of course they did make up a part of the higher cost, the finish work on the cabinets for these was really nice.

I had one of the Red polished ones at home for quite awhile. It looked great in the apartment! Rated VERY highly on the WAF Scale (Wife Acceptance Factor)

So far she likes the F130R in White both as furniture AND as a piano.

Jay

#2270825 - 05/04/14 04:18 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
CarloPiano Offline

Absolutely! I saw once in a store a F-110 red and it was incredibly gorgeous.

#2271262 - 05/05/14 04:38 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
Cmin Online   content

Loc: Swabia
"USB Computer port for using the F-130R with music software on a Mac or Windows computer"

So is that still Midi over USB or is it audio? It doesn't say anywhere.

(It kills me not to see the back panel in the sales photos)

Edited by Cmin (05/05/14 04:54 AM)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2271301 - 05/05/14 07:21 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Cmin]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cmin
"USB Computer port for using the F-130R with music software on a Mac or Windows computer"

So is that still Midi over USB or is it audio? It doesn't say anywhere.

Probably just MIDI. Are there any digital pianos that do audio over USB?

MIDI ports that were there on the F120 (and every other digital piano since 1985) are no longer present on the F130R. frown

#2271306 - 05/05/14 07:39 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
lophiomys Online   content

Loc: Austria, EU
Neither on the HP-504, HP-506, DP-90e.

#2271310 - 05/05/14 07:52 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's really very strange that audio over USB is not standard on DPs now. It's strange, in fact, that some form of digital output (eg. SPDIF) has not been standard on digital pianos (and the like) since about the mid-90's. Peculiar.....I mean, these ARE Digital pianos. Why don't they have a digital output?

#2271357 - 05/05/14 09:27 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

I agree they should have digital out, but they probabaly don't because there's not a whole lot of devices that take a digital in (mixers, monitor speakers).

#2271360 - 05/05/14 09:31 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I agree they should have digital out, but they probabaly don't because there's not a whole lot of devices that take a digital in (mixers, monitor speakers).

That's true - and for that reason, it doesn't bother me. But why have the analogue stage at all for interfacing? Seems loopy to me - and always has done.

#2271754 - 05/06/14 07:29 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
Phlox Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
@jay:

Why ditch the midi ports ??

#2271801 - 05/06/14 10:14 AM Re: A couple of New Roland Pianos announced yesterday. [Re: Jay Roland]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Got the Ivory-G version in my FA-08. Must say it's really not bad; IMHO even a improved from the presumably identical A-88 keybed. Could be between the ears, but I feel the FA keybed is better playable than the 300NX and A88.

I can imagine the PHA-4 standard is further improvement, but perhaps heavier than the Ivory-G and therefore not suitable for the most lightweight designs (like FA). Could be that Roland therefore sticks to the G-feel for these boards, apart from potential cost increase with the PHA4. An upcoming RD400NX perhaps may feature the PHA4-standard - but it may be heavier than the FA08 that has to compete with the also very light MOXF8.

By the way, the FA08 does MIDI and Audio over USB. It may not be a true digital (stage-) piano, but with SN engine and 88 keys it shows it can be done. For a pure home piano audio-over-USB may nog be a feature in high demand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
NAMM Show 2015 Follow Up!
Pictures, Videos, Comments from the 2015 NAMM Show

-------------------

Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano tuning hammer case
by schragermitchell
Today at 02:56 AM
Yamaha p115 !
by Yussnan84
Today at 02:53 AM
Advice?
by Saskatuner
Today at 02:28 AM
How do we teach phrasing
by piano_friend
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Octave stretch kind-of
by jim ialeggio
Yesterday at 09:47 PM
Forum Stats
77938 Members
42 Forums
161080 Topics
2366182 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission