2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Carey, brdwyguy, David Boyce, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks to all who took the time to listen to and comment on my humble submission.

Like everyone else, I enjoyed playing and listening to everyone else's offerings.

Before this recital, I mostly knew Tchaikovsky through his orchestra music, which I loved as an adolescent, came to hate as a know-it-all college student, and then began to appreciate deeply in a new way later in life.

But his piano compositions, most previously unknown to me, are wonderful, as borne out in this great recital.

Andy, I particularly love the "October" piece you chose, and you performed it beautifully.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Still listening bit by bit over here smile

MaryBee and Ganddalf, just wanted to say I listened to your Berceuse and Meditation (respectively) and really enjoyed both. The Berceuse played so tenderly and the Meditation with real calm and strength. And both with lots of imagination and technical skill. Great. And Op. 72 is now much more on my radar for good Tchaikovsky piano pieces!

Last edited by hreichgott; 04/29/14 09:45 PM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Still listening bit by bit over here smile

MaryBee and Ganddalf, just wanted to say I listened to your Berceuse and Meditation (respectively) and really enjoyed both. The Berceuse played so tenderly and the Meditation with real calm and strength. And both with lots of imagination and technical skill. Great. And Op. 72 is now much more on my radar for good Tchaikovsky piano pieces!
Ditto! Along with several other pieces I've heard on this recital.

Thanks to those who have listened and commented on my pieces. I'm glad you enjoyed them. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
It has taken me longer than I wanted to get to listening to these wonderful performances. Today with a bit of quiet time available I've made a start - and how I have enjoyed it!

Thank you so much to all the performers for your hard work - and beautiful music.

The first 10 I've heard:

1. SwissMs : March, Song of the Lark - It is very interesting to hear how sombre this piece is at the very beginning how it lightens and becomes more cheerful - just like the dull grey of February gives over to sunnier warmer March! I loved watching your video and seeing your relaxed control (and the flowers) - Your performance radiates tranquility and you really seem "at one" with this music. Complimenti!

2. Sinophilia: Charming! I have never heard this piece played, I've just glanced at the music in one of my books. You did a lovely job on this performance - I hope you are delighted with your progress over the past year, because you've really come a long way and you're making beautiful music. Bravissima!

3. Andy Platt: Seasons, Autumn. Andy, I enjoyed reading about your thoughts and feelings on this piece. Dare I say I think I enjoyed listening as much as you enjoyed performing? You've really brought out some lovely richeness of tone and depth, as well as the delicacy of the right hand. this is indeed a performance to be proud of! Bravo!

4. Gandalf: Romance Op 5: Oh, this is lovely! I like the way it starts, with a hint of melancholy, it makes me think of someone looking back on a lost love - feeling the loss, but cherishing the good memories. Then a real switch in tone and feeling! What a surprise. And then another switch - what a "moody" piece! Every evocative, and most enjoyable to listen to.

5. Recaredo Old French Song. Op 39 No 16. Recaredo, you always put interesting art with your music videos- I think that adds a charming extra dimension to the presentation. It has been a while since I have heard any of your performances and I hear how you've improved. You played this beautifully with excellent control and feeling!

6. PikaPianist: Valse in F# minor, Op. 40 No. 9 What a gem of a piece and performance! I loved watching the video and seeing the fluidity and decisiveness with which you play - It is an elegant piece of music and you played it beautifully - and that finale was simply splendid! Most enjoyable, thank you for the treat!

7 peterws/pyotr OP 39 10 Polka: Charmingly played! A most enjoyable dance. I was smiling from the first notes. I'm sorely tempted to get hold of Op 39.....

8. Zrtf90/Richard German Song: Delightful! You are quite right that it is full of charm. Sweet performance indeed! I really enjoyed it!

9. Greener / Jeff Chanson triste Op 40. No. 2 Thank you for the background story on this piece - that always adds to my enjoyment of a piece. I can see why you were attracted to this music - Though I have to say that it doesn't sound terribly "sad" to me, it is very beautiful. Your enthusiasm for this piece shines through in your performance.

10. Zrtf90/Richard Morning Prayer. Lovely interpretation Richard - I could feel the sun rising, illuminating a new day filled with hope and optimism for what is to come. It is a short piece but you brought out its voice and message beautifully.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
And my second set..... wow. I am so impressed with the work that has gone into this recital!

11. peterws/pytor Op 39 14 FolkSong: Peter that was great fun! (interesting visual techniques) - I could picture the village maidens dancing in the square with their long skirts swirling. Charming!

12. AZ_Astro At Church Op. 39 No 23 --- We all feel that our pieces could be performed better by someone with more experience..and of course it is true! However, that being said, I think that your performance here is not as leaden as you painted it out to be. I think you brought out the drama and majesty of the piece very nicely. I would suggest that you try it again in about a year and feel the difference after you've got more experience under your belt. What is more than simply "respectable" now, will be even better.

13. peterws/pyotr Impromptu op72 1: Peter , your comments always piques my curiosity! What have I to say on this one...how about "wow". I love the energy you brought to the opening of this piece - it is clear that you're having fun. The second part was charmingly delicate and poetic, (I had visions of elves and butterflies...? smile ) And then the big bass contrasts starting about 3/4 through. It is really clear that you must have put in a great deal of work to pull this off - it was really enjoyable.

14 peterws/pyotr Peasant`s Prelude Op 39 13 - and here you are again! This sounded like "end of a long work day for peasants"....or else ones who were tired from all that dancing about the village square - a more restful and relaxing piece -nicely done sir!

15. patH (Patrick Hollstein)Op. 1 No. 2. Impromptu. Patrick - great to see you performing in this recital. Robin watched your video with me and we both really enjoyed it - the intensity of the first and last sections was a wonderful contrast to the middle section - neither of us is familiar with this piece but we both enoyed listening and watching you play. Looking forward to seeing you in Lisbon.

16. Ganddalf: Seasons: May This piece does indeed "shine" with light - it seems a very optimistic bit of music - peaceful confidence in life unfolding as it should. It is clear that you do indeed understand the feelings that need to be brought out in this piece - most enjoyable!

17. zrtf90/Richard: Baba Yaga --- interesting background info on this one Richard -I had to look up that hut! It sounds full of mystery and magic - I loved your very steady pulse and precision - I think you really caught the mood for this piece perfectly! Bravo!

18. Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott) The Seasons, Op. 37: 1. January I am really getting an education on T's "seasons". This one made me think of troikas and horses with bells flying over the snow. It sounds majestic - calling to mind the wide open spaces of Russian plains - and at times as delicate as breezy snow flurries. Your performance was a great pleasure to hear. Thank you!

19. Heather W. Reichgott (hreichgott) The Seasons, Op. 37: 2. February ... Sounds like Feburary is a really busy month! Such energy, hustle and bustle - I picture a lively village festival of some sort where everyone is very lively indeed. It seems to me this would be great music for the opening scenes of a stage show. I really enjoyed this performance very much!

20. Sam SJune - Barcarolle - opus 37b/6 Sam, I love that you always provide the score. I can see what you mean by "Russian blues" and at the same time the "boatsong" concept is still very much present, floating gently on little waves. I loved your rolling chords at the 3 min mark. You say it is a work in progress, but even as it stands, it was indeed a lovely listening experience. Bravo!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Cheryl for your comments on this themed recital!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
And the last set....

21. Gingko2 Mama: What a sweet melody. I can picutre a happy Mama cuddling with her little one to sleep. You played with charming delicacy.

22. Earlof Mar: Sick Doll This is a very melancholy piece (followed by the Doll's Funeral if I'm not mistaken....) You definitely captured the mood of the piece, and I hear a lovely leap in control from the previous recording I heard from you. My compliments!

23. Richard (zrtf90) Album Leaf, Op. 19 No. 3 This is indeed a jaunty little piece! It reminded me of some of the Grieg pieces from last September. You did an excellent job on the voicing. I can see why you mention Bach! A most enjoyable listen!

24. AJames, Doll's Funeral: Calvin and Hobbes! Oh, I can picture the cartoon now. You have clearly worked hard because you have made this piece sound easy - you played smoothly and with lovely control and evenness. If this is what you can do after 9 months, I can't wait to hear what you do next year! You're making excellent progress. My hat is off to you!

25 timmyab Waltz op. 40 no. 8 --- Oh! Delightful! Not knowing the piece I have no idea where you diverged from the score - that was pretty clever of you. This was so light and airy - beautifully done - I loved listening to your performance.

26 JFMartins: Witch Baba Yaga - Lovely energy and dynamics - it gave me shivers! Well done!

27: MaryBee Berceuse, Op. 72, No. 2 MaryBee these past two years or so have been really wonderful for your technical development. I'm constantly hearing more control and finess in every piece you present. This was indeed dreamy -and harplike with your rolling chords! You clearly put a lot of effort into mastering all the challenges present to you by this piece - it sounds smooth, rich, and soothing, just as a lullably should be!

28 Ganddalf: Meditation (Op. 72 no.5) I did indeed enjoy your performance of this piece. I can hear how complicated it is - but not because you sound like you're having any difficulty (quite the contrary) - the clarity of your performance presents a delicious spectrum of sound and dynamics. It is quite a splendid piece of music and your performance is truly a pleasure to hear.

29 Rupak Bhattacharya Op. 19, No. 4 - Nocturne My first piece of constructive criticism - before even listening to your piece - is .... Don't introduce your piece by telling us how awful you think it is. That sets us up to expect the worst and be more critical. Of course there are pieces we struggle with and feel that we could have/should have done much better - don't put your listeners off before they've even heard the first note! That being said.... I really don't hear what is so awful about your performance. It seems well balanced, you've paid great attention to the dynamics, it flows smoothly, there are no obvious flubs... You've been playing for 2 years and you play a piece of this complexity this well and deem it your worst submission ever? Well, maybe I set the bar too low, but I'd be really pleased if I could play this piece this well. I'm sure there's room for improvement --- when is there not? But I certainly enjoyed listening to your performance.

My sincere compliments to eveyone who performed in this recital - it was truly wonderful!

[Linked Image]

M
M
Originally Posted by casinitaly
And the last set....

I think you missed the last page of pieces wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by casinitaly
And the last set....

I think you missed the last page of pieces wink

Yikes! So I did! Thanks for flagging that for me. I don't know where my brain was yesterday..I must have been in an enchantment with all the beautiful music!

More treats in store for me now!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Still listening here...

The Seasons, Op.37: 1. January (hreichgott) - What lovely textures. But the piece seems mis-named; I think it has a very warm feel. Maybe that's the fire in the fireplace that I'm hearing.

The Seasons, Op.37: 2. February (hreichgott) - Now this has a totally different attitude than last month. Very playful, it sounds like a circus might be coming to town.

June - Barcarolle - opus 37b/6 (Sam S) - Oh, I love this one! So melancholic, like someone lamenting over a lost love. Your ending was perfect!

Mama (gingko2) - Very sweet presentation, so gentle.

Dolly Is Ill (earlofmar) - Nice playing; I hear the dynamic changes; your work is paying off.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
M
M
May 7th was Tchaikovsky's birthday. We missed it!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Morodiene
May 7th was Tchaikovsky's birthday. We missed it!

[Linked Image]

Nice Tchai, but personally a found it a little Pathetique.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
lol...Good one Andy!

Here is my last batch of comments - I've had a lovely start to my Sunday morning thanks to these performers!

30. Ganddalf - Quintuple Waltz ..That does sound like a tricky rhythm pattern. It is a bright cheery piece of music, and you've certainly played it with energy and spirit! A very pleasant way to start off today's listening session!

31. Paul de Koning (chopinoholic) Chant elegiaque Opus 72 No.14 I loved this music. Very evocative, and beautifully played. There is a wonderful uplifting feel to this music which you've brought out really nicely. I particularly liked the rippling passages and the dramatic middle section. You say you struggled to play it, but this is not obvious - you played very smoothly and dynamically -I did enjoy listening!

32. Paul de Koning (chopinoholic) Un poco di Chopin Opus 72 No.15, -An interesting mazurka. There's a very clear Russian sound to it, and a charming delicacy. I believe it is hard to play, but again, it seems to flow off your fingers beautifully! Well done!

33. jamie_vtOp. 39 No. 5. The Toy Soldiers' March. I think there are a lot of pieces in this recital that - on the surface- seem really simple, but ...they aren't! I think this is a sweet piece, and your toy soldiers marched very crisply and credibly! I enjoyed listening!

34. Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 1: Ruins de Chateau - this is a hauntingly beautiful piece of music in the first part- and then the wild horsemen arrive - it seems they have a battle and then we return to the haunting theme- the crumbling castle glimpsed through the mists - played with great feeling. Quite thrilling to hear!

35. Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 3 Chants sans parole. I don't know who started the tradition of songs without words, but they are a charming concept and this one is no exception. From what I've heard of Mendelssohn, this could well have been a tribute - charmingly played!

36. Morodiene Souvenir de Hapsal Op. 2 No. 2: Scherzo. I just learned my first Scherzo recently and it was great fun to finally get it under my fingers. I say that to lead into my idea that you seem to have had fun with this bright, lively piece and you've really caught the spirit of the "scherzo"! Most enjoyable.

37. MrPozor Mazurka This is a very pretty dance, and nicely played. Personally I don't think I could have done 10-20 takes of five sections...:) I think that for your own sanity you may want to come to terms with the idea that few performances are note perfect ! Nicely played - It might be nice to hear it again when you can play it in one sitting!

38. carlos88 Opus 37, No. 12 December: Christmas. I can see a set of Waltzers enjoying a swirling Vienese waltz to your playing - this was just delightful to hear! (I didn't hear the cat....)

39. ClsscLib The New Doll Op 39 no 6 - congrats on getting your first recording under your belt! This New Doll seems to be enjoying her new home very much! Nicely done!

What a great recital!
My compliments and thanks to all who took the time to learn these wonderful pieces and share them with us - it has been a musical feast indeed!

[Linked Image]

J
J
I keep thinking that I will get the time to sit down and comment on all the pieces but it just doesn't happen so I just want to quickly say that I really enjoyed listening to all the pieces and thank you all for the kind comments about mine.

[Linked Image]
A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
I also want to thank everyone for the comments. All-in-all, a very positive and encouraging experience. I've even started working on another Op. 39 piece, Old French Melody, and it's really coming along. Maybe I'll post a recording to the Piano Bar...

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am so far behind on everything, but I finally had a chance to sit down tonight and listen to the rest of the Tchaikovsky recital. Great job, everyone. I loved hearing all the different types of music that he wrote.

Album Leaf, Op. 19 No 3 (zrtf90) - I like the folk-song feel you give this, with a little bit of nice bounce. If you go to all that trouble to manually mark, copy, cut, and paste the score, I wonder if you might find it easier to just transcribe it into music notation software such as MuseScore.

The Doll's Funeral, Op. 39, No. 8 (ajames) - Oh, that's interesting. This reminds me so much of Chopin's Funeral March. Appropriately dark and lachrymose.

Waltz op. 40 no. 8 (timmyab) - I like this one! After that doll's funeral, I needed to hear something sweet and uplifting. So nicely played.

Op. 39 No. 20. The Witch Baba Yaga (jfmartins) - This just makes me laugh. It is so evocative of the title character. You did a wonderful job with this.

Meditation (Op. 72 no.5) (Ganddalf) - Ganddalf, I was looking forward to hearing this one, and you didn't disappoint. I wanted to learn it for this recital, but it was too much of a stretch for me! You play it with such romantic sentimentality; just perfect. Wow on those ending trills!

Op. 19, No. 4 - Nocturne (Rupak Bhattacharya) - I very much enjoyed hearing your performance here. The music is beautiful, and you play it so sensitively; very touching.

Quintuple waltz (op.72 no.16) (Ganddalf) - 5/4 time signature sure is unusual. That in itself had to present something of a challenge. It makes for an interesting sounding piece. Thanks for taking on the challenge!

Chant elegiaque Opus 72 No.14 (chopinoholic) - Another beautiful piece from Opus 72. Tchaikovsky has some real gems here, doesn't he? Your excellent playing really brings out all the changing moods in this piece.

Un poco di Chopin Opus 72 No.15 (chopinholic) - This is pretty lively. And whew! -- there are some amazing runs in there that sound near impossible. Great job.

Op. 39 No. 5. The Toy Soldiers' March (jamie_vt) - Charming! I can feel the march beat, but it has the lightness of a child's viewpoint.

Souvenir de Hapsal, Op. 2, No.1-3 (Morodiene) - This was an ambitious project, but you pulled it off with great style. The castle ruins sound dark and ominous, except of course for that boisterous middle section! The scherzo is lively and great fun. The songs without words is just simply lovely. Altogether, super impressive and a wonderful performance. Thanks for playing this set for us.

Mazurka (MrPozor) - I'm glad you were able to put together a submission for this recital. It sounds like it's coming along very well. Developing the concentration for playing longer pieces takes some time, but it will come with practice.

Opus 37, No. 12 December: Christmas (carlos88) - Excellent dance feel! I love all the movement in this piece. haha -- I heard Oreo!

The New Doll Op 39 no 6 (ClsscLib) - Very nice. You do a good job bringing out the melody. This piece seems to have a more modern bent to it than some of his other pieces, doesn't it?

Mary Bee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you to Morodiene, peterws, SwissMS, AZ_Astro, jotur, chopinoholic, Greener, Sam S, Ganddalf, ajames, hreichgott, and casinitaly for listening to my piece and for your kind comments.

It makes me happy to know that several people fell in love with "Berceuse" after hearing it here and are now inspired to play it. It's easy to love; I felt the same way when I heard it for the first time. Maybe we'll hear some other performances of it and other Tchaikovsky pieces in upcoming ABF recitals.

Thanks, everyone, for a great recital.

Mary Bee
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just listened to your Berceuse again tonight after reading your post. Loved it!

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
M
M
So I haven't seen any discussions come up about the next Themed Recital. I know on PC there's the Suites one, but I really enjoy these that are surrounding one composer - perhaps one that I haven't had a chance to explore too much.

So any thoughts? Anyone interested in starting a new one, and which composer will it be?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Schumann!!!!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission