Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2270800 - 05/04/14 02:02 AM New Fundamental Keys website
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
Rachel Jimenez has revamped her Fundamental Keys website - a very clean design. The new 3-volume edition of the Fundamental Keys book, plus new videos, are not expected until later this year.

Encouraging news is that it appears she will be actively blogging once again. She has just put up a post about her purchase of a digital piano - I found it to be an interesting read and look forward to her follow-up posts: Discovering the digital piano

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2270804 - 05/04/14 02:14 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
AZ_Astro Online   content

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
I too look forward to hearing about how she is doing. I am enjoying her method book and her approach to teaching.

#2270814 - 05/04/14 02:45 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Looking forward to reading more about:

Quote:
I will get into more specifics about digital pianos and how good they have gotten in recent years, what it feels like to switch between a digital and a Steinway grand, what it’s like to practice and record using virtual piano software through a MIDI connection, and lots of philosophizing about what the future of music making might look like once this technology makes its way into the mainstream of classical music education.

#2270903 - 05/04/14 10:07 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
I can relate to her lack of time for practice! Kids take so much time,(not to mention money!)

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2270917 - 05/04/14 10:31 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: pwl
Rachel Jimenez has revamped her Fundamental Keys website - a very clean design. The new 3-volume edition of the Fundamental Keys book, plus new videos, are not expected until later this year.

Encouraging news is that it appears she will be actively blogging once again. She has just put up a post about her purchase of a digital piano - I found it to be an interesting read and look forward to her follow-up posts: Discovering the digital piano

Thanks for the update. But the full preview link for the current book seems to be missing now ?

Edited by EM Deeka (05/04/14 10:33 AM)

#2270986 - 05/04/14 01:49 PM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
LS35A Offline

Loc: Hayden, ID
I absolutely love the Fundamental Keys book. It has dramatically changed my piano playing.

And Rachel is wonderful.

The current Fundamental Keys book is on sale and a CRAZY BARGAIN at $17.49.

This is a 'one book' piano method with about four years of good music in it.

Here's the link to buy the book:

Fundamental Keys

Edited by LS35A (05/04/14 02:21 PM)

#2271670 - 05/05/14 11:57 PM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
thanks for sharing this. I'll be following her blog and also plan to check out her method book
currently Alfreds book #1
Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2271902 - 05/06/14 02:34 PM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
hreichgott Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
I corresponded briefly with Ms. Jimenez and received an online-only sample of the book. I was looking for something to teach adult beginners for which I could use Suzuki pedagogy but not have to use Suzuki book 1 repertoire which is full of nursery rhymes. This requires an early introduction of tone quality, dynamics, phrasing and articulation, a relatively late introduction of complicated 2-hand coordination, and lots of real pieces of music. Fundamental Keys does all of these! My only (ONLY!) objection is the inclusion of simplified piano pieces, but there are only a couple, and I can skip them. I'll need a recording to give to students, but if one doesn't ship with the book, I can just make my own. All the pieces are public domain so I could even post it online for students smile

I also like that the teaching of reading is intuitive and oriented toward playing from the beginning -- the first reading exercise is seeing a row of clefs only, and playing notes in treble area of piano whenever you see a treble clef, bass area of piano whenever you see a bass clef.

Not enough 20th-21st c. music imho but I know that stuff isn't public domain and harder to include in anthologies. Most anthologies have that problem, except the expensive ones, which are expensive for a reason...

I plan to order and use the book. Probably current edition for me and new edition for students. I will probably still switch over to the Suzuki books when adult students are ready for book 2, but it'll still be nice to have a source book that has more material to choose from.
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2290331 - 06/16/14 05:25 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
JazzyMac Offline

I just received Fundamental Keys in the mail and I'm excited. After thumbing through the book, and Ms. Jimenez's introduction (and website), I realize I should have gotten this book instead of Alfred's. I appreciate the immediate straightforwardness she portrays in the book. It's exciting seeing full pieces ready for me to learn--knowing that I will eventually improve and know all of this is motivating.

Jimenez also gives a nice timeline for completing this manual: Four years. Might be sooner, could be longer, but don't expect to rush through it like Alfred's! I already see it's a different way of learning (just like Alfred's), and I'm excited to start.

These are just my initial thoughts. I haven't read any further in the book yet.

On another note, I also downloaded "Fundamentals of Piano Practice". I think these two books/manuals, along with my wonderful teacher, will propel me out of the beginner stage.

And that's exciting in itself.

#2290335 - 06/16/14 05:54 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
good luck JazzyMac, hope you keep us all posted of progress

#2290338 - 06/16/14 06:04 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Four years, that tells you how hard piano is. I'm always relieved when I see one is not supposed to be able to play certain things before 3 or 4 years of study. Things that don't look too hard on paper and that some talented/very committed people play after much less than that, but that still require a lot of time and effort. Most late beginner/early intermediate pieces are actually grade 5. Patience is the key.

#2290355 - 06/16/14 07:00 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
JazzyMac Offline

Perhaps since I've been taking lessons off and on since last April (finally did the math...about 8 months total), I'm familiar with a lot of the initial lessons: Finger numbers, Staffs, Measures, Counting, etc. It makes me feel confident that at least *I've learned something* over this time.

Now, it's just a matter of following through with practice!

I truly think Fundamental Keys should get its own thread. I'm way too busy with my full-time job to dedicate to the thread, but this is the book adult beginners should use!

Signed,
-Already a fan!

#2290388 - 06/16/14 09:03 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: JazzyMac]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: JazzyMac
Jimenez also gives a nice timeline for completing this manual: Four years. Might be sooner, could be longer, but don't expect to rush through it like Alfred's! I already see it's a different way of learning (just like Alfred's), and I'm excited to start.

I recollect reading earlier, learners with teachers completing it faster, in less than 2 years. Does it contain all the pieces meant for the full course or suggest adding supplemental material ?

Edited by EM Deeka (06/16/14 09:03 AM)

#2290395 - 06/16/14 09:09 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
fizikisto Offline

Loc: Hernando, MS
JazzyMac,
I'm a fan of the fundamental keys method as well. Rachel used to have a discussion board section on her website, but it was never very active, and it had a lot of problems with spammers (which I'm sure was a pain for her). Since that seems to have gone away with her website redesign, a dedicated fundamental keys thread here (Similar to the dedicated Alfred's Threads) would be really cool. Though I wonder how many people are actually using the method, so I don't know how active it would be. In any case, it's a great approach to piano pedagogy. I wish you much success in your piano journey.

#2290400 - 06/16/14 09:16 AM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: pwl]
hreichgott Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
I have recently started using this with adult beginner students. Good results so far.

I usually teach Suzuki and note that some of the repertoire toward the end of Fundamental Keys also appears in Suzuki books 3 and 4. There is no time standard for Suzuki students. Mine have taken anywhere from 2 1/2 to 6 years to get from beginning to that level.
Totally loving Fauré/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2290629 - 06/16/14 05:34 PM Re: New Fundamental Keys website [Re: EM Deeka]
JazzyMac Offline

Originally Posted By: EM Deeka
Originally Posted By: JazzyMac

I recollect reading earlier, learners with teachers completing it faster, in less than 2 years. Does it contain all the pieces meant for the full course or suggest adding supplemental material ?

It looks like everything is included in the book that one needs to learn. However, she says in her introduction that if teachers would like to add similar pieces for their students to practice, they are free to transcribe. She insists that teachers don't just add only one type of song to supplement, rather, pick songs the students want to play.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (AndrewJCW, aesop, Anticlock, 36251, 31 invisible), 1241 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156855 Topics
2304734 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning a piano
by johan d
14 minutes 29 seconds ago
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
Today at 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
Today at 12:38 AM
DAMPP CHASER
by tksler
Today at 12:05 AM
Cardboard shim for loose pin. Anybody heared about it's
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission