2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by FSO
I stated that *some* wealthy people will be liable to buy art not for appreciating it but for the status symbol; like a car, a large house, most luxury goods...and that statistically speaking it would be reasonable to assume that the proportion of these types of purchases, of fashion and peer-driven response, might be less common amongst those with less disposable cash? I mean...um...do you disagree with *that*?

This is interesting to me...in my experience, status stuff seems to cross all sorts of economic boundaries.

It may be true that for some wealthy people, that very expensive piece of art on their wall made by a very prestigious artist is purely a status object, and is not something they really care about as art. I don't doubt it (even if I don't know of any actual examples of that happening).

But I've seen the same kind of maneuvering for status among people at pretty low economic levels in society, but obviously, it isn't going to be expressed in the same way.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Piano Doug
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

And how on earth is bringing up a discussion disdaining the wealthy (or any group) appropriate in this forum?

I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate - it's just another of the many different expressions of disdain for various groups that come up here, e.g., disdain for rappers, for composers of 12-tone music, for "unscientific" thinkers, for people who like New Age music, et al.

But all of those things you mentioned are directly related to music and the piano (the case of "unscientific" thinkers was brought up with regard to piano pedagogy and learning). Wealthy vs. poor is not.

Wealthy vs. poor has historically been very much part of the classical music scene. And, if you look at the donors that keep orchestras and recital series afloat, it still is.

Yes, but that's not so much "wealthy vs. poor." More like "the effect of wealth in the support and dissemination of music to the public," or something similar.

Whatever...you were the one who came up with the formulation in this thread, so I guess you own it.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by FSO
I stated that *some* wealthy people will be liable to buy art not for appreciating it but for the status symbol; like a car, a large house, most luxury goods...and that statistically speaking it would be reasonable to assume that the proportion of these types of purchases, of fashion and peer-driven response, might be less common amongst those with less disposable cash? I mean...um...do you disagree with *that*?

This is interesting to me...in my experience, status stuff seems to cross all sorts of economic boundaries.

It may be true that for some wealthy people, that very expensive piece of art on their wall made by a very prestigious artist is purely a status object, and is not something they really care about as art. I don't doubt it (even if I don't know of any actual examples of that happening).

But I've seen the same kind of maneuvering for status among people at pretty low economic levels in society, but obviously, it isn't going to be expressed in the same way.

Ah, good. I'm glad I didn't have to draw this conclusion. smile

I agree that all income brackets have their "status symbols," but since we originally were talking about one specific type, I believe that's why the conversation steered in the way that it did. I don't think it's a crime of conscience to say that wealthy people are more likely to buy high-end luxury goods (art, pianos, etc) as either status symbols or investments, rather than for enjoyment.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I too entirely agree that status symbols exist in any class, sect or other hopefully PC term for groups of that kind laugh I mean...the pope has a massive hat, chavs have really white trainers; anthropologically speaking *every* group that isn't entirely de-individualising will form hierarchies and...well...um, there will *always* be a symbol or token to signify the placement in that hierarchy (be it a matter of wealth, or taste, or being able to play certain pieces of the repertoire {someone who has played the Goldbergs in concert has that token as something that distinguishes them as a higher order pianist than some [most?] others, for instance} etc.)...there's no way around it; as a species we create lists and orders (how many threads are there of "who's the most...", "which piece is the hardest..." are there?) and when it comes to identifying with our own status it is a mixture of modesty and insecurity, or delusions of grandeur and arrogance, that dictate how we express that identity...maybe...but...um...the piano's great, isn't it? wink
Xxxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I'm afraid this is going to turn into a liberal-vs-conservative argument that is totally inappropriate for this board. Perhaps the discussion needs to be steered into less dangerous waters.

Agreed. However, without getting political, I just have to respond to certain statements that were made that don’t seem to make logical sense to me.

No, you really don't. Just roll your eyes and move on.

Poetry is rhythm

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by phantomFive
I'm afraid this is going to turn into a liberal-vs-conservative argument that is totally inappropriate for this board. Perhaps the discussion needs to be steered into less dangerous waters.

Agreed. However, without getting political, I just have to respond to certain statements that were made that don’t seem to make logical sense to me.

Or better yet, just turn off the computer and play the piano. grin

Last edited by carey; 04/28/14 11:49 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by FSO
Originally Posted by wr

I lost you at "discrimination is an inevitability of equality"...

Well...we *must* discriminate to be fair; to not discriminate is to ask a wheelchair user to get something off a high shelf or expect someone with severe dyslexia to spell properly; the word has received a lot of unfortunate attention recently...um...and *of course* discrimination can be bad, but to treat people the same (wheelchair, high shelf) is not to treat people fairly, or equally...I *hope* that's clear...? smile
Xxx

Yes, that helps...thanks. I knew you didn't mean "discrimination" in the sense of bigotry against some group, as the word is often used these days. But what you did mean wasn't coming into focus for me, either.

V
V
I'm sure this is somehow related to the 10,000 hour rule.

I just don't see how.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Vansh
I'm sure this is somehow related to the 10,000 hour rule.

I just don't see how.

Well, there are some interim steps...

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by phantomFive

Or better yet, just turn off the computer and play the piano. grin

Sometimes, in a crazy, crazy world, that's the only sane choice.

I don't view the 10,000 hour rule as a rule. I see it as an observation, as in: We've looked at lots of top-notch people in the field, and we find that it generally takes 10,000 hours of work to get to that level.

I do NOT view the reverse as true: Put in 10,000 hours as you'll be top-notch.
Originally Posted by Shabbat Shalom
I always thought that the 10,000 hour rule is very misleading. Nobody has the time to practice every difficult passage in the repertoire that many hours. In my experience, the acquisition of repertoire has more to do with how quickly one can adapt one's hands to what one's ear wants, which requires your ear to want something. Even focused, mindful repetition will only guarantee a certain consistency, not anything of musical value.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission