Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
103 registered (Ben Boule, anotherscott, Barry1963, Beemer, anamnesis, 34 invisible), 1324 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2271442 - 05/05/14 01:44 PM Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions
Michele9300 Offline

Loc: NY
Hello, I am looking to buy a Baldwin Hamilton 243 oak studio piano, serial #401039, for my daughter who has been taking lessons for seven years. It was recommended that we get her an acoustic piano. The one I have found is pristine, not one scratch, the hammers have no grooves, it looks like it's never been played. The asking price is $1450 which includes professional delivery. It plays beautifully, the tone is impeccable. Any way to know what year this piano is and is it worth this money? Afraid I don't know anything about pianos. I'd like to insert photos, but don't know how.

Edited by Michele9300 (05/05/14 01:46 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2271456 - 05/05/14 02:22 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Michele - Welcome to Piano World!

The piano was built in 1985.

Those studio pianos have been proven to be very, very solid instruments and were often used in schools and practice rooms. You still see them performing very well throughout the USA.

As with any used piano, it should be fully inspected by a qualified piano technician prior to purchase. If the piano is in good shape, that is a very good price for the piano.

Cheers,

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2271475 - 05/05/14 03:03 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Michele9300 Offline

Thank you, Marty! The piano is in showroom condition. It appears the folks bought it and never used it. Their home must have been climate controlled also, as the condition speaks for that. Thank you for telling me the year it was made! We took our very experienced piano instructor with us and she was in awe over it's condition and tone. Looks like we may have found a gem! Thank you again! If there's a away to share photos, please let me know.

#2271478 - 05/05/14 03:08 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Congrats on the Baldwin 243! Sounds like you got a great deal! smile

Rick

#2271480 - 05/05/14 03:17 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Theodore Offline

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Those are wonderful pianos, love the Baldwin 243. Congratulations on finding a good instrument!! Enjoy!

#2271491 - 05/05/14 03:45 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Hi Michele,

Confusion reigns when attaching photos at PW. I assume that you have the photos on your computer in a file. Here's how I do it.

Click on this link: Photo Uploader

Scroll down the page and enter your information in the boxes. You can search your own photo files, on your computer, to find the image you want.

When you have entered your information, click on Submit Form

This will open a new box or tab telling you that you have made an error. Well, you haven't !!! - Close that tab/window and forget about it.

You will receive an email at the address you entered. At the bottom of that email will be an address at Piano World where you photo is located. Copy that address and return to your message, to insert the photo, in the Full Reply Screen mode.

At the top of the "Full Reply" response area, just click on the fourth button from the left, at the top, and just above the typing area. Select Insert a non-floating image.

Paste in the address which you received in the email.

Remember, the photo will be in the spot where you have your cursor set.

You can see your photo by using Preview Post at the bottom of the message box.

I hope this helps.

#2271513 - 05/05/14 04:25 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Michele9300 Offline

Thank you for the instructions, Marty! Here is the piano ...

Edited by Michele9300 (05/05/14 04:32 PM)

#2271522 - 05/05/14 04:48 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
LarryShone Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Originally Posted By: Michele9300

Pics aren't showing, the URL just has image.jpg:
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/image.jpg

My Soundcloud
Casio Celviano AP-450

#2271523 - 05/05/14 04:48 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Oops - Something didn't work. Did you get an email from Piano World? Did you 'copy' and then 'paste' into the link button in the full reply screen?

#2271573 - 05/05/14 06:23 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Eric Gloo Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
I can see the photos. The case looks nice. It looks like there's an issue with hammer #13, along with the typical Baldwin hammer alignment issues.
Richfield Springs, New York

#2271880 - 05/06/14 01:36 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Michele9300 Offline

I tried to repost the photos again, and I cannot see them either. Irregardless, we are the new owners of this piano! So far it plays absolutely beautifully and the tone is awesome. Hopefully the problem that Eric sees in hammer #13 isn't too serious. Thank you for looking at it, Eric.

#2271914 - 05/06/14 02:59 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Rickster Offline

Hi Michele,

Your digital photo has to be hosted on a web-site and have a URL address. You can upload the photo to the Piano World photo hosting section (which Frank Baxter, owner of PW prefers).

If your photos are on a website, right click on the picture and click "Properties"; you will see a URL address starting with "http" and ending with "jpg". If you can post that URL here, I will help you embed the photo in your post window.

Good luck,

Rick

#2271946 - 05/06/14 03:49 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Rickster]
Michele9300 Offline

Thanks Rick. Trying again to post a photo. I looked at #13 and it is rubbing, but it does play. Will it hurt anything to leave it or should I have a technician come in?

#2271980 - 05/06/14 04:53 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Rickster Offline

A great looking piano!

I think the hammer adjustment can wait until it acclimates to your home and you have it tuned. Worse case scenario, the note/hammer might stick a little.

Congrats again!

Rick

#2271990 - 05/06/14 05:17 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Michele9300 Offline

Thank you, Rick. I appreciate the feedback. I think the photos weren't posting because I was trying it from an apple device. I used my PC and had no problems.

I'll let it adjust to the environment here. I am loving this piano so much, I may have to learn to play myself. It's too beautiful to let it sit untouched during the day, with the exception of my daughter playing in the evening. I've been won over by acoustic pianos. Good bye digital.

#2272028 - 05/06/14 07:02 PM Re: Baldwin Hamiton 243 Oak Studio Piano questions [Re: Michele9300]
Rickster Offline

I'll let it adjust to the environment here. I am loving this piano so much, I may have to learn to play myself. It's too beautiful to let it sit untouched during the day, with the exception of my daughter playing in the evening. I've been won over by acoustic pianos. Good bye digital.

I've been won over by acoustic pianos as well... I've got 5 of them, and a digital! smile

Yep, I'm a piano fanatic alright. Of course, I can think of some other things to be fanatical about that's not as good for you as pianos. smile

By-the-way, one of my acoustics is a Baldwin/Hamilton 243 from the early 1980's. smile

Wishing you and your daughter all the best of piano enjoyment!

Rick

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160049 Topics
2350398 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission