2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 325 of 540 1 2 323 324 325 326 327 539 540
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks. I indeed most of the time flub at the same two places. One right hand and one left hand flub to keep it balanced wink
If I concentrate too much on not flubbing it's indeed very machine like which I don't prefer either. When just playing I don't mind a flub and then the pleasure comes out wink
I suppose I just have to practice the "weak spots a lot" before I add speed.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by wimpiano
Anybody tips for getting this recital ready in a week? I am playing it slowly and still flub two times frown

You do realize that you are required to make at least one mistake?
With two "flubs".... That puts you twice as good as our benchmark!

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
S
Bstark--way to stick it out! Just be patient. Getting your hands to move independently requires re-training your brain. It takes a long time.

While I sometimes practice as much as three hours a day, I don't do it at one sitting. Play piano is actually quite mentally and physically taxing. Break it up. This gives your brain time to digest what you've done, and your fingers time to rest.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
wimpiano,

I think you are ready with just a little more very slow practice of just those parts you say are prone to flub. Just do it very slow, exactly correct at least 5 times in a row (just the small part that needs it) and stop. Do that at the end of your day's practice session each day for 5 days and I will bet you that you never miss those spots again.

Your musicality is very nice on this, so don't let it become wooden with robotlike over-repetition run throughs of the whole piece. Not being perfect is part of the deal....there will always be room for improvement.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My AOTW is deciding to host a pre-recital piano soiree for the adults that plan to play in my teacher's upcoming recital. Looks like there will be four of us getting together for some piano fun and adult beverages about a week before the recital.

Now I've got to step it up on the Jarret arrangement. My teacher and I recently changed two of the chords that were already baked into my fingers, so I've got some unlearning and relearning to do. That plus the need to really speed it up has me putting most everything else on a back burner. Have a piece I might submit to ABF, but have not touched it this week and have no recordings yet. Busy times.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Happy Happy Joy Joy (obscure reference to some thing that used to be cool). Being a beginner is a roller coaster of emotions, yesterday I was ready to hang up my sustain pedal today I want to give Chopin Ballade No 1 a go (but better not chance my luck).

The bad news: I don't feel my Clementi Sonatina No 2 is progressing, but then again it's only been 132 days since commencing (not that I am counting or anything).

The good news: I got one past the red dot and submitted to the PW recital today (oh the relief).....but wait there is more. My teacher gave me Satie's Gnossienne No.1 casually mentioning it was grade 6, way above my paygrade. Whether or not it's a grade 6 is debatable but the achievement was getting the recurring bass to chord jump which I can do without looking and get right most of the time. This is my first real exposure to a significant jump and now I just want to jump jump jump....... May have had way to much chocolate in celebration of getting into the recital.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Jim that sounds like a great event. I have agreed to play in the end of year recital at the school this year and I dread being the only adult, but I want the experience of playing in public. (Why? I ask myself...why?....)...Well, to prepare for the piano party in Lisbon!!!

Good luck with the "unlearning" and submitting to the ABF recital!

EarlofMar - that Clementi N2 is lovely - but hard to improve once you it a certain point. I decided to put it aside for a while and take it up again in a few months.

I got my ABF recital piece submitted this morning - whew. The red dot started to get to me... I won't say I beat it completely but I did have it cowering (and glowering smile )in the corner til I got my recording done.

I'm glad I was using the silent feature: Sunday morning is a bad time to record with acoustic because of all the church bells!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Phew! I survived my daughter's wedding.
After that, playing in a live recital will be a breeze!

Learner
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by malkin
Phew! I survived my daughter's wedding.

Now that's an achievement if I ever heard one!
Congratulations!
Attending your son's or daughter's wedding must be a rather surreal experience?

Ron
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I am glad to read so many reports. Sounds like some are making major strides.

Malkin, congrats on the daughter's wedding.

Week 112: A relatively quiet week. I have yet to try to record for the recital. I'll do what I've done for the last few, record a few takes over the course of several days, and then pick the best of those. I have a Songmakers meeting in two weeks and have to decide if some of the pieces in the oven are ready for the public or not, and whether to try and have the group sing while I play or not if I do Tonight or Colder Weather.

Here's one for the beginners.... hehe

Still only plunking away on an easy version of Adele's Someone Like You. Only on page 2, but it sounds better than it did a few weeks ago. Little to no pause before my left hand has to do something. The left hand is actually hitting the right notes more often that not. I admit I don't practice every day, so these are little wins, but wins for me. laugh

But my achievement is getting the first 6 exercises in my Dozen a Day book down without tossing the metronome out the window. AND... I even started Bach's Minuet in G Major (No. 1) from Bastien's Easy Piano Classics just to give myself something else to play besides my assigned song. Right hand picked it up pretty quick, left hand is still a little slow.

The piano ain’t got no wrong notes.
~ Thelonious Monk

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Malkin, - felicitations to your daughter and her new husband!

SandTiger-good luck getting your recording done for the recital!

OddSox: May you be blessed with patience as you get used to working with the metronome. I drives me mad, but I am finding its uses...gradually! As for your improvement on the current piece - "little improvements" is what this thread is all about - rejoicing in our baby steps!

My ATOW: NAILING the piece that has been giving me grief for the past month. I got another "great" from my teacher. That's 2 in 1 month...(I told him I wouldn't let it go to my head)....
I feel like after 4 years of baby steps I have finally taken (at least ONE) giant step!
Truly, the last few weeks I have felt a tremendous shift in what I'm doing and I think the next few months are going to be really interesting. I'm feeling a lot more confident and super-enthusiastic about tackling the next pieces!

[Linked Image]

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Cas..... a very very serious congratulations to you...
I hope we might be hearing some of this in the recitals? smile

Ron
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
malkin - wow, that's a great achievement. We want a video!

Sand Tiger - You've plenty of time to submit the piece. Relax.

Oddsox - Oh, there's a big distance between Bach and Adele smile Good job!

Casinitaly - I know what you mean. I felt a shift last year too, when I played the piece "Life".
It feels wonderful. And I'm still waiting for more shifts in my piano playing...
Congratulations!

No special AOTW for me. On the contrary... I felt some pain in my elbow and I went to the doctor. The diagnose is a Lateral Epicondylitis (known as Tennis Elbow). I told him that I work with computers, and I play piano and tennis regularly. He smiled and said: "Oh, really? These are the three activities that can cause this injury... and you do all of them?".
So, I've stooped playing tennis, and I'm doing smaller piano sessions (max: 45 minutes) - I really can't stop playing piano... -. So, I've to do a treatment during the next 3 weeks to see if I get better.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

Way to go! Conquering a troublesome piece is big, but feeling like you have taken a big step forward is huge.

I'm curious....what specifically do you think has changed or improved overall? I ask because with about the same learning timeline as you I have had similar feelings of having taken a big leap forward...yet I have trouble putting my finger on what exactly is so much better or even what specifically has led to that feeling.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Casinitaly, very nice. I can imagine it must give you quite a boost.
@CarlosCC be careful! And get well soon!
@JimF don't try to explain, just sit back enjoy the ride wink

@SandTiger I'm sure you will submit something wonderful. I ended up submitting my first recital entry a couple of minutes ago. Since I couldn't make a better recording up till now I just submitted the "practice recording" I posted earlier in this thread. I might change it before the 15th or I'll keep it this way. It feels a bit like the Olympics. The most important part is to take part, not to win wink

Oh and my AOTW, as just mentioned I submitted my recording for the recital.

Last edited by wimpiano; 05/07/14 08:22 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Carlos, sorry to hear about your tennis elbow. Hopefully will improve soon with some rest. Please see below re: my day...

My job is extraordinarily stressful at the moment (to wit: I couldn't sleep so got up at 3am yesterday to start work, then put in a 17 hour day), and I'm feeling very grumpy/snippy with everyone.

My work can be extremely complex, so I keep a minute by minute log so I can refer back and keep myself sane regarding current status and various technical aspects. An ellipsis ("...") indicates that I've taken a break of some sort. Sometimes I'll put a brief explanation thereafter, as in this instance yesterday morning:

7:51 - ...needed some Einaudi via Carlos

It helped. A lot.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ron, yes indeed - but for the August recital at this point smile I've already done my piece for the May recital!

Carlos--- be really really careful - I hope you can heal quickly - you may want to see a teacher to understand if you have some tension issues you didn't really realize....I've been through similar problems and it is really awful to have to cut down on piano time!!!

Jim - I have to say that there are a couple of things that I've just really been able to focus on at different level.

One has certainly been slowing down. I'm playing so slowly that there could be a count of several seconds before I depress the Keys. What is happening here is that as I go through the piece I am playing it so that every note, (albeit at a snail's pace) is CORRECT - with the correct fingering, with repositioning coordinated. This way I'm not giving myself any opportunity to learn any wrong notes, and I have vastly improved my ability to be in the right place at the right time. (Before my movements were always slightly delayed).

The second is learning to breakdown difficult transitions into their segments and understand what I'm doing immediately rather than just plunge in and hack away.

And the third is improved focus repetitions - so starting just a few notes before a trouble spot and not playing much beyond it, focusing on "bridging" between 2 difficult spots. My concentration seems to be better.

Overall though, I'd have to say that the first point has been the most critical.

Two other things have helped - both comments from my teacher. One comment was (after some improvement) "You're not trying to just play your pieces "at any cost" , you're doing what you're supposed to be doing" -- -and the other was "There's no reason you can't do this". So when I'm tempted to try to rush the process I (literally) hear his voice inside my head telling not to rush, and that I can do it if I take the right approach.

My confidence levels are much higher as a result of the past few weeks too, and I think this is also a contributing factor!

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ok, thanks everybody. I'll be careful. Don't worry.

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Carlos, sorry to hear about your tennis elbow. Hopefully will improve soon with some rest. Please see below re: my day...
7:51 - ...needed some Einaudi via Carlos

It helped. A lot.

And aTallGuyNH, be careful too. Stress is not good and you need to rest. Don't enter in a vicious cycle of working. That's not good. There isn't nothing more important than our sanity and health. Think about it.
I'm glade you like my Einaudi. Take a break, have positive thoughts.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

One has certainly been slowing down(...)
The second is learning to breakdown difficult transitions into their segments and understand what I'm doing(...)
And the third is improved focus repetitions(...)

Two other things have helped - both comments from my teacher. One comment was (after some improvement) "You're not trying to just play your pieces "at any cost" , you're doing what you're supposed to be doing" -- -and the other was "There's no reason you can't do this". So when I'm tempted to try to rush the process I (literally) hear his voice inside my head telling not to rush, and that I can do it if I take the right approach.

My confidence levels are much higher as a result of the past few weeks too, and I think this is also a contributing factor!

Wow, great advises! Bravo.
I'm increasingly convinced that playing piano is mainly a cerebral workout. It all depends how we "see" the challenge before doing it.

I look forward to hearing you live at the EPP thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Page 325 of 540 1 2 323 324 325 326 327 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission