Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2272384 - 05/07/14 01:40 PM Accompaniment, How close does tuning need to be?
contrapiano Offline

I play piano with a contra dance band. The dances are usually held in church basements. The piano, if one is available, is often somewhat out of tune. I usually play bass notes in the 2nd or 3rd octave and chords just below middle C. Other rhythm instruments such as guitars play in the same pitch range but the melody, played by fiddles, hammered dulcimers, etc. is usually an octave higher. What if the piano is flat in the octaves I play? 10 to 20 cents flat is common, varying with the seasons. The other musicians are used to tuning to standard pitch with various electronic tuners. They may not understand how to tune to some other pitch. They may arrive late with their already tuned instrument. What to do? Can the piano and other rhythm instruments be somewhat flat relative to the melody without affecting overall sound quality too much?

Piano & Music Accessories
#2272404 - 05/07/14 02:35 PM Re: Accompaniment, How close does tuning need to be? [Re: contrapiano]
AndyJ Offline

Loc: Near Dayton, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: contrapiano
I play piano with a contra dance band. The dances are usually held in church basements. The piano, if one is available, is often somewhat out of tune. I usually play bass notes in the 2nd or 3rd octave and chords just below middle C. Other rhythm instruments such as guitars play in the same pitch range but the melody, played by fiddles, hammered dulcimers, etc. is usually an octave higher. What if the piano is flat in the octaves I play? 10 to 20 cents flat is common, varying with the seasons. The other musicians are used to tuning to standard pitch with various electronic tuners. They may not understand how to tune to some other pitch. They may arrive late with their already tuned instrument. What to do? Can the piano and other rhythm instruments be somewhat flat relative to the melody without affecting overall sound quality too much?

The string musicians should tune to the piano. When the piano is not in tune to itself, find a note that splits the difference and ask them to tune to that. If they're late, their instrument isn't tuned, and they'll have to do the best they can.

#2272446 - 05/07/14 04:17 PM Re: Accompaniment, How close does tuning need to be? [Re: contrapiano]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Make a joyful noise and don't listen too carefully. You're in a church environment, so this should come easily :-)

If you want to make GOOD music, everyone should tune to the piano. Or go somewhere with a better piano. What else do you want us to say?

#2272561 - 05/07/14 09:35 PM Re: Accompaniment, How close does tuning need to be? [Re: contrapiano]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
My fiddles tune to whatever piano I'm playing, whether it's my keyboard or the one at the hall. If the one at the hall is out of tune I tell them they can tune to whichever of the 3 strings they want to. If you have a squeeze box playing with you it's not going to be in tune with you anyway.

It's not worrisome at a contra dance. At least for me, 99% of the time I'm a rhythm instrument. I only play melodies on a couple of tunes.

The pulse is the most important thing.

Cathy

Edited by jotur (05/07/14 09:36 PM)

#2272623 - 05/08/14 03:16 AM Re: Accompaniment, How close does tuning need to be? [Re: contrapiano]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Personally I don't think 10 cents will be all that noticeable to the general public. 20 cents or more and people will begin to hear it. If you have a chromatic tuner (I have one on my phone), you can test how flat the piano is and have everyone tune to that. If they are used to tuning to 0, they shouldn't have too much trouble tuning to -20 or another mark in the tuner.

I've played church pianos that were perfectly in tune with itself, but flat, I'm guessing due to the condition of the piano. I always check the tuning when I'm using someone else's piano, just for this reason. But again, less than 15 cents, I wouldn't sweat it too much.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2272624 - 05/08/14 03:19 AM Re: Accompaniment, How close does tuning need to be? [Re: contrapiano]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, and the ones that arrive late... well I guess that's just a lesson on why you don't show up late. smile

I'd imagine they're not showing up with an already tuned instrument anyway. They'll have to wing it.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2272810 - 05/08/14 12:38 PM Re: Accompaniment, How close does tuning need to be? [Re: Brian Lucas]
contrapiano Offline

This is the sort of answer I was looking for. The hall we play at most often has a Baldwin studio piano that is quite unstable. I never know what to expect. I tuned it twice last winter...very flat each time but we had a very cold winter with low humidity. I expect it may be sharp next time. I check some of my favorite notes, take an average and tell the band to tune to that.

Harold

#2272811 - 05/08/14 12:38 PM Re: Accompaniment, How close does tuning need to be? [Re: contrapiano]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern, Northern California
Quote:
They may not understand how to tune to some other pitch.

Perhaps you can guide them. That is, you play the note, they play, and you tell them "Flat" or "sharp" or "just a little flat" etc.

In general the public is oblivious to tuning, though I expect that they will enjoy the music more if you guys are in tune.

My sister is a music teacher, and her husband is an opera singer, yet they tolerate their terribly out of tune piano.

I'd love to see a scientific study of this: have people listen to recordings of a piano piece with different degrees of in-tune-ness. Ask them how much they liked each recording, and whether the piano was in tune.

I'd expect that they would like the more in-tune recordings, even if they didn't identify the others as not in tune.

My Book: Becoming a Great Sight-Reader -- or Not!
My Blog: The Year of Piano Sight-Reading

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
Today at 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Who's Online
130 registered (accordeur, 36251, ajames, alfredo capurso, 0987654321, 37 invisible), 1555 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158489 Topics
2327586 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission