Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#227309 - 07/14/05 08:29 PM Help confirm these comments
w50 Offline

Loc: Singapore
In my search for a piano as a beginner, here are some (conflicting) comments I received from piano dealers. Please help me sort out fact from myth:

1. Beginners tend to only play the middle of the keyboard when starting out learning. After about 5 years or so of serious practice the weight of keys will be lighter in the middle of the keyboard and heavier at the ends that regardless of piano, I will need to change pianos in about 5 years. Buy cheap, upgrade later!

2. In a used piano, age doesn't matter. Only quality of soundboard should be considered as everything else can be serviced/overhauled/replaced.

3. In general terms, the lower price range of new pianos (last 10 years) display less quality of sound (more dead, less 'sing' and sustain) compared to older pianos at similar price point.

4. China made represents better value compared to Japan/Korea made since raw material is the same but labour rates are lower. ie I could pay more money but not get "more piano"

5. Plastic hammers will warp over time

6. All else being equal, taller in an upright is better for richness/fullness of tone. Since all is not equal, height doesn't really matter.

7. In some pianos, the strings are threaded through a positioning block at the ends (sorry don't know the term for this) which ensures accurate and consistent alignment of strings. In other pianos, strings are spaced apart only by a pin which results in inconsistent alignment and poorer quality of sound.

8. Importing a used piano from temperate to tropical climate runs many risks for the piano (sticky keys, cracking soundboard and other humidity effects).

Are these just sales talk by salesmen for selling their own pianos? Are there validity in their statements?

Thanks.
Wei

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#227310 - 07/14/05 09:39 PM Re: Help confirm these comments
Dale Fox Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nor California Sacramento area
[QUOTE]Originally posted by w50:
[QB] In my search for a piano as a beginner, here are some (conflicting) comments I received from piano dealers. Please help me sort out fact from myth:

Let's give it a whirl!!

1. Beginners tend to only play the middle of the keyboard when starting out learning. After about 5 years or so of serious practice the weight of keys will be lighter in the middle of the keyboard and heavier at the ends that regardless of piano, I will need to change pianos in about 5 years. Buy cheap, upgrade later!

Don't buy any bridges from this man. Either lying or ignorant or both. Beginners do tend to stick to the middle but a beginner isn't going to wear anything out by doing so. Sounds like he thinks you want cheap. He likely gets a better markup on something made in an Asian land with lower labor costs.

2. In a used piano, age doesn't matter. Only quality of soundboard should be considered as everything else can be serviced/overhauled/replaced.

You plannig on rebuilding your first purchase? If not then everything matters. Pianos wear out and parts age. Everything can be rebuilt but at what cost?

3. In general terms, the lower price range of new pianos (last 10 years) display less quality of sound (more dead, less 'sing' and sustain) compared to older pianos at similar price point.

This is too broad a statement to mean anything. You need much more specific info to make any judgement.

4. China made represents better value compared to Japan/Korea made since raw material is the same but labour rates are lower. ie I could pay more money but not get "more piano"

I still haven't seen a Chinese made piano that compares in general quality to a Japanese built. This a my general opinion with some caveats. Again, is this salesperson pushing cheap cause that's the impression he/she got of you?

5. Plastic hammers will warp over time.

Not aware of any plastic hammers. Plastic action parts, yes. Kawai uses lots of filled ABS and it's good stuff. (Kawai Don, you ever going to get the factory to produce replacement action parts for us rebuilders? I'd use em in mine if they fit!)

6. All else being equal, taller in an upright is better for richness/fullness of tone. Since all is not equal, height doesn't really matter.

First thing I've agreed with. All. things being equal, bigger is better. And no, not all things are =.

7. In some pianos, the strings are threaded through a positioning block at the ends (sorry don't know the term for this) which ensures accurate and consistent alignment of strings. In other pianos, strings are spaced apart only by a pin which results in inconsistent alignment and poorer quality of sound.

They're called agraffes and string spacing on them is only as good as the plate drilling spacing done by the foundry. This is a non-issue. Most pianos only have agraffes through the lower 60% of the scale. The spacing af the other strings has more to do with workmanship than anything else. Did he tell you the agraffes have their drawbacks, too?

8. Importing a used piano from temperate to tropical climate runs many risks for the piano (sticky keys, cracking soundboard and other humidity effects).

Putting any piano in a tropical environment, without humidity control, endangers it's life expectancy.

Are these just sales talk by salesmen for selling their own pianos? Are there validity in their statements?

Unfortunately, your sales person my actually believe most of this. You can always glean a little truth from anything said. I didn't have much to agree with in this case. I wasn't there so I can't really make a final judgement on the veracity of your salesman's statements. Sometimes we all hear what we want to. Sometimes we don't even want to hear the truth

Dale

#227311 - 07/14/05 09:46 PM Re: Help confirm these comments
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
One size fits all answer: Don't ever go back to this dealer.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#227312 - 07/14/05 10:57 PM Re: Help confirm these comments
w50 Offline

Loc: Singapore
Really want to thank you Dale and Michael for your help. My impression from visiting 20+ shops is that many people buying "starter" piano do have a price point around US$3000 so salespeople pitch at that to begin with. They baulk when I say I have budget more than double that for a 5 year old kid which is when some of the above statements appear. Mind you, I have 3 kids that will be learning piano including a 3 year old that is absolutely enthralled by the piano (literally transfixed by any decent player playing and lovingly explores the keys herself). So I'm looking for one to last and I do want as non-biased views on what really matters to tone and playability. I especially didn't want to be taken in by "non-issues" as Dale mention. Thanks again, most helpful.

#227313 - 07/15/05 08:48 PM Re: Help confirm these comments
knorris Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Wei,

I am not a piano dealer or technician, just an amateur player, but I felt much better about shopping for a piano after having read The Piano Book by Larry Fine. This book is regularly recommended by many posters on this forum. Larry Fine's book covers many many topics having to do with piano construction, shopping new or used, sales tactics, and piano care, as well as reviews and rankings of many piano brands. I think I paid about $20 for this book at my local book store, and there's an ad for this book right now on this webpage (on the right margin).

It's a great resource, as is this forum.

K

#227314 - 07/15/05 09:04 PM Re: Help confirm these comments
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Your budget will buy you any number of very fine new pianos for your kids. Go to as many different dealers as you can find.. listen to the piano, not the dealer.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#227315 - 07/16/05 08:10 AM Re: Help confirm these comments
masaki Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Wei,
I have two comments for people who would use the Piano Book in buying and maintainig pianos outside of the US(not including Hawaii and Alaska I think).

It seems the book is written assuming readers are people who live in US where 1)in-door climate control is better made than in any other countries and 2)piano techs are more skilful, at least in voicing, than those who are in Asian countries.

----
Masaki

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
117 registered (ajames, BB Player, anotherscott, beeboss, 36251, 42 invisible), 1422 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155768 Topics
2287013 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do you measure progress?
by BrianDX
07/10/14 08:05 AM
Multiple sound engines?
by Nordomus
07/10/14 05:08 AM
Funny way to end a Mozart sonata...
by JoelW
07/10/14 04:11 AM
Would you buy a restored water damaged piano?
by upbeat
07/10/14 01:00 AM
Looking for Complete Gershwin Songbook
by Tony Romo
07/10/14 12:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission