Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
145 registered (Alexander Borro, Anita Potter, accordeur, ajames, 40 invisible), 1735 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2271781 - 05/06/14 08:46 AM The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin
acortot Offline

Loc: Italy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Use7P3tLkKI&list=UU1YXuoUQn9SlpZAVp3rrGFw

action centres are still loose and some bridge pins are as well but not bad for a 170-year-old piano!

An Article on the unusual makeup of original Pleyel hammers, during Chopin's lifetime:

http://acortot.blogspot.it/2012/07/pleyel-hammers-in-chopin-era-i-martelli.html

Max DiMario

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2271826 - 05/06/14 11:06 AM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Nice!
How much of this sound is due to the hammers, and how much due to the bridge, sound board etc?

#2271965 - 05/06/14 04:19 PM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
acortot Offline

well, there are other pianos of this period that have been restored with 'different' felt on youtube.

Hammers are generally a huge part of the sound of any piano, though.

The soundboard in this case is much smaller than a modern one, the strings are parallel and there is a cutoff-bar which limits the surface area..

the piano is about two meters long and uses two strings per note in the bass (diameter 2.7mm at low C)

An Article on the unusual makeup of original Pleyel hammers, during Chopin's lifetime:

Max DiMario

#2272014 - 05/06/14 06:18 PM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
Chris Leslie Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Thank you Max. Even though we can only listen to a shadow of the original sound, the endeavour is always fascinating for me.

#2272592 - 05/07/14 11:32 PM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
acortot Offline

Hi,

You're welcome.

It's always hard to have a clear idea of what an instrument could have sounded like from centuries ago.

The recording and performance would have to be of a professional level to do the piano justice but I had no time to organize one. The room is very small and the playing is amateurish.

But one gets the idea, I suppose.

What aspects of the sound do you think could have changed significantly during the ageing process?

Edited by acortot (05/07/14 11:35 PM)

Max DiMario

#2272687 - 05/08/14 08:20 AM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
If all felts are felted without layers (may be why they cannot be thick really ) . The tone is certainly much different.

The "natural" felt from Abel is using different king of wool, supposedly they are more felted than usual. WUrzen is also providing a similar felt.

I have seen such layered felts on Bechsteins from the 1910 era, they came from Weickert filtz factory.

I also understand some lanolin is reintroduced in the felt after felting. This have to be very well dosed. I had a recovering job with that felt where the lanolin was too much present, a simple ironing glued the fibers with it.

I dont know for sure but as the top layer is damping somewhat, I suggest that using a strip of cushion felt around the crown would produce similar results.

That thin layer of "different felt" is not enough to create dynamics in my opinion.

This is interesting anyway.

Edited by Olek (05/08/14 08:20 AM)

#2272958 - 05/08/14 07:00 PM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
acortot Offline

It is not wool felt and does not have lanolin I guess since lanolin is found on sheep?

It has increased dynamics over both wool and hatmaker's rabbit felt

I have a video on my youtube channel that shows this clearly from a few years ago

Wurzen tried to supply me with the closest thing they had years ago but the dynamic range was inferior

The fibres are highly crimped, 15 micrometers or so, like cashmere and felted like old damper felt.

If you can find a source of felt for me that uses high-crimp super-thin fibres (read: very expensive) I would love to try it

Have you ever worked with Pape felt?

Edited by acortot (05/08/14 07:02 PM)

Max DiMario

#2272962 - 05/08/14 07:08 PM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
acortot Offline

By the way, thick felt came about as a way to make cheaper hammers.

Before Alfred Dolge marketed the first modern hammer-making machines the 'layers' were discrete and made of leather (and later leather and hard colored felt with an outer 'pianissimo' layer), the outer layer being equivalent to the 2-3 mm that piano techs 'needle' onto modern hammers

So 4.5-2.5 mm is actually not so thin. How many tuners do you know that needle 4.5mm into the crown of bass hammers?

Edited by acortot (05/08/14 07:16 PM)

Max DiMario

#2273132 - 05/09/14 06:36 AM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Oh I think we may be talk of something different , between layered hammers and the layered felt .

The felt I have seen was 1920 possibly. and had those beige layers, I thought it was from a less bleached felt.

For your inquiry, may be you could ask Laoureux , they did make the first tests with those felts, and explained me that the time the felt is worked in the felting machine (2 persons are there to manipulate it) is about 12 hours for that quality, while many felts are obtained in half that time.

Now finding the thin wool, I dont know, I was explained there are only 5 or 6 possible provenances for the wool used to make hammers, so the choice seem to be reduced.

The felt you used gives indeed some resiliency for the soft nuances, but not sure it is so different from using a modern soft felt, without much tension. I tested yesterday with a strip of cushion cloth 4.5mm, I am waiting for it to set and will see what it gives.

But you cannot play FFF, the damping part surpasses the dynamic part soon. It sound as playing with a moderator. the spectra is cut. I would at last put a finger on each unison and bang the hammer strong on the strings 50 times, or it will take much time to have some partials showing.

You did make a huge work of putting that felt back. that is neatly done.

I will make a nice experiment : glue a strip of cushion without tension

And with some tension on another hammer.

Regards

PS there is also something that is difficult to obtain : the hammers once glued are installed in individual wooden cauls that press them somewhat and avoid any slippage.

You do not obtain that compressed state from the installation of strips only glued around.
I dont expect the tension to add much when using the strips of cushion, but hammering may do something.

Edited by Olek (05/09/14 07:33 AM)

#2273340 - 05/09/14 04:54 PM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
acortot Offline

hi Isaac,

The gray Pape felt (which is felted different than the blue felt used in the early 1900's) is a kind of red herring

Before the use of this felt only different kinds of leather were used and only one or two people in the factory had the necessary skills to make hammers, after, as you can read in my article, the piano industry used the Pape felt almost exclusively (probably between 1830 and 1850) because anyone could cover the hammers.

they were not glued in cauls like leather or later white tensioned felt because just the tack of the glue was enough to keep them on the hammer. You must remember that the felt is even glued on the tip.

It was just a temporary period where this Pape felt was used and, since wool does not have the same mechanical or felting qualities, later when wool was used, the outer layer became thicker and thicker and more dense.

I have tried all kinds of felt and they do not behave like Pape felt.

I suspect that perhaps Cashmere felt might be close, but do you know anyone who makes Cashmere felt?

The mechanical difference is that the Pape felt has very fine and curly fibres that when compressed flatten completely and couple to the hard layers underneath..

if you use rubber as an outer layer, the hammer rebounds and almost makes no sound (I have tried) so not having much resiliency is good in a way. The felt has this low resiliency because of the rabbit fibre.

I have tried all kinds of felt.. I have been looking for a substitute since 2007 and have contacted every major Felt Manufacturer including Laoureux. Nobody makes anything similar

The felt is applied without tension, and if tension is used it just stretches and falls apart.

The reason that it is glued on the tip, unlike Leather and White Wool felt is that if it was only glued on the sides with no tension, there would be a pocket of air under the felt after it was used a while

Max DiMario

#2273345 - 05/09/14 04:59 PM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
acortot Offline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0_D65bedTc

as far as the sound not being bright enough for your taste, the above link was recorded with Adelina Patti's London Erard from the late 1800's

The sound is very muffled compared to modern piano sound

this is not a result of the frequency response of the recording as her voice has harmonics which go up to at least 3 KHz and the piano has a 'plummy' soft attack

we are used to the later, more modern bright sound but if you listen to other pianos before world war 1 there were some that had kept the dark singing tone and not adopted the bright and percussive tone that came to dominate the piano world, especially since the 1970's

Max DiMario

#2274573 - 05/12/14 05:21 AM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hello,

I have read your document an find it highly interesting.

The videos are very interesting, thanks for the link, but I believe you hear there more than what is.
This is not the good era, the piano have not a so muffled tone, probably also use for accompanying it was choose or prepped to be discrete.

I would not be too much surprised it would be a Pleyel piano with hard German strings.

It was in an intermediate era, I totally agree on what you said about volume, but listen to the 3ds at 1:30 they have yet a "modern" shape.

The pianist is supposed to be very discrete. I would look for pieces where he need more power.

Regards

Edited by Olek (05/13/14 04:38 AM)

#2275041 - 05/12/14 06:52 PM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
acortot Offline

It was an Erard London Piano, I think from the 1880's or so.

but as you know, Erard pianos do not have that much felt on the outer layer.

you cannot judge a piano sound of the Romantic Period with a modern piano.

Romantic pianos were built for small rooms, not concert-halls and they had half the tension of modern pianos.

Max DiMario

#2275243 - 05/13/14 03:42 AM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
chopin_r_us Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
The problem is with microphones. I've tried 100 ones and they don't capture any of the Pleyel sound. I'm looking in to renting.

#2275264 - 05/13/14 05:50 AM Re: The sound of original Hammer Felt used by Chopin [Re: acortot]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yes certainly the nuances are when you are playin,g or near the piano. on the recordings the soun is a little similar to my tests with a strip of cushion on a modern hammer.

BTW I have to agree that it seem to me the tension in that case will muffle the tone, as it is not enough to make it resilient and it makes it damping more efficiently . Strange
need more testing

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CP50 noisy key...
by G. Bonner
27 minutes 6 seconds ago
Partial versus Full Regulation
by MusicMagellan
34 minutes 44 seconds ago
Knabe WG48 Opinions?
by stevetothink
Today at 10:58 AM
More instruments via MIDI?
by badbob001
Today at 10:42 AM
Xmas present
by Jytte
Today at 09:29 AM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160054 Topics
2350502 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission