2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I recently got a new client with a Steinway upright - She's in a retirement community. She wasn't pleased with how the last tuner had left the piano and was referred to me by an older teacher who is particular about tuning...

I sat down to play a bit and it sounded pretty good - the whole thing was a little flat and a bit worse at the break, but not bad. Uh oh..

She uses hearing aids and got new ones a few months ago. Years ago I had a client with hearing aids that changed her perception of the tuning. I ended up having her sit by me and altering the stretch in varying sections to get the octaves where she could stand them - the tuning ended up super-stretched, right from the temperament out, with obvious beats to the octaves.

So the process starts anew - I'm not really sure yet at this point if it is tuning or tone that bothers her, we started out with a good solid tuning first. I tried voicing down just a little on C5 - she picked the C4-C5 octave as a particular problem.

I'd appreciate any experience you've had with changes to hearing and anything you've tried for your clients that works. I did have her try playing without the hearing aids, and she still wasn't real happy with the sound. We opted to have her play for a week or so and then I'd return to start experimenting...

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
In my experience, hearing aids are terrible for listening to music in general and piano in particular. I think it's because the speakers in them are so tiny that they cannot reproduce a flat frequency response. They end up accentuation higher frequencies and attenuating others. I've tried quite a few and all I've tried end up making the piano have a sort of metallic sound.

I usually end up just turning them off even if the other people in the room think I'm playing too loud. Many people don't have this option (their hearing is much poorer than mine) and I think we just have to get used to poorer sound. Not good, but at least we can hear music even if it's not how a 10 year old hears it.

Take care of your hearing folks, you can't get it back.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Two clients about ten years apart had hearing aid issues. I did every sonic contortion that I could think of and NOTHING worked. I now tell hearing aid wearers that the piano will be tuned correctly even if they don't hear it as being correct. Life is to short to try tuning for narrow spectrum circuitry and itty-bitty speakers.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission