Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
155 registered (aceydawg, alans, A Guy, accordeur, 36251, 45 invisible), 1431 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2273413 - 05/09/14 07:33 PM New Kawai ES7 owner
KarelG Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Folks,

I've decided to write here, first of all thanks to all the members who recommended to "try yourself". Also I'm playing 2.5 years on one small upright (AF made in the Czech Republic in 70s) and on 160cm long/short baby grand (AF Model IV made in the Czech Republic in 30s, fully restored). DP here is needed for night playing/practising and also for occasional playing with friend (guitar) so take my post also from this point of view.

I did pulled the plug yesterday and visited store which does have ES-7 and FP-7F (same price) on show and which I selected based on information provided on this forum. Well both pianos were not so on show, both were on shelf so I decided to first decide on the keyboard and used CN-34 and HP 505 which were ready to play. When I've been there I also touched (without playing!) some Kurzweil, some Yamahas, Nords etc. Anyway:

CN 34: keyboard is quite nice. A little bit heavier, that means with higher inertia than I'm used to and with quite nice surface. I'm used to more slick surface but Kawai is still nice. Yamaha btw (P255) provides more slicker like on my pianos. Keyboard itself provides nice let-off and nice bottom touch. Sound was a little bit artificial, but with the APs at home I don't need purity on DP. Concert Grand is nice, I've been kind of surprised to find out that all those Youtube presentation show pianos in more bright form than they are in reality. So on ES-7 I most liked Mellow Grand on YT, but in reality it's too much mellow and Concert Grand is the best (which on YT was too bright already).

HP 505: when I sit to it, played few notes from middle and thought viola this is the real piano. Nice middle section. Then I went up and still quite nice sound, then down to bass and ohhh, bad, moody, mazy bass. Don't like that. From my AF grand I admire nice clear bass. Kawai's Concert Grand is way much better in this regard. Keyboard: it provides more course-grainded surface. This was already behind the threshold I'm able to tolerate. So not good feeling playing on it. Also somehow while playing let-off looks to be higher than on Kawai. When actually testing one key, this does not seems to be true, but while playing I've had such feeling. Unnaturally high let-off.

So that decided this for me: RH-II is the way to go. I moved to stage pianos section, touched a keyboard here and there and found that Yamaha 255 completely lacks let-off. What a surprise, so this was off and then only FP-7F and ES-7 remains. Verify by touch that both keyboard are similar to their "desktop" siblings, they were so ask seller to allow me to test ES-7 and then just order a transport bag, pay and quickly go home.

Conclusion: (1) difference between RH-II and PHA-III including surface is not that big to be a show-stopper for me in my situation, but still is good to test it. (2) difference in keyboard feel between RH-II and PHA-III was smaller than between my AF small-grand (very noticable let-off, hard bottom) and local musical school's Petrof III (let-off nearly non-existent and smooth bottom) I tested a year ago. (3) both Fp-7F and ES-7 are acceptable as DPs for nigh practice. (4) visually/ascetically ES-7 wins with class difference in comparison with plasticity of Fp-7 (for me) if you care about this. (5) for me from just touching keyboard in the shop (Kurzweil/Nord/Yamaha/etc.) ES-7 was the nicest (with CN34) -- note that the shop does not have GF-based piano nor Yamaha's AGs! PHA-III was just second after RH-II.

So yes, if you decide on pianos, go to shop and "try yourself" :-)

Cheers,
Karel
PS: sound quality decision is solely based on phone-output connected to Sennheiser HD-598 as this will cover probably 95% of the DP usage here.

Edited by KarelG (05/09/14 07:54 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2273427 - 05/09/14 07:48 PM Re: New Kawai ES7 owner [Re: KarelG]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Congrats Karel!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the buying process too!

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2273576 - 05/10/14 08:10 AM Re: New Kawai ES7 owner [Re: KarelG]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Congrats and enjoy, Karel!

Funny, I love the Mellow Grand; warm and rich especially on the low end keys. I also like the Concert Grand with the touch curve set to heavy. I get a great sound with that setting and can really dig in. Regardless , the virtual technician is excellent and you should spend lots of time experimenting. You'll be surprised at some of the pleasing piano tones that you can program/edit.

#2273682 - 05/10/14 02:22 PM Re: New Kawai ES7 owner [Re: Marko in Boston]
KarelG Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
Congrats and enjoy, Karel!

Funny, I love the Mellow Grand; warm and rich especially on the low end keys. I also like the Concert Grand with the touch curve set to heavy. I get a great sound with that setting and can really dig in. Regardless , the virtual technician is excellent and you should spend lots of time experimenting. You'll be surprised at some of the pleasing piano tones that you can program/edit.

Hi Marco,
I will surely give a try to virtual technician. I like mellow sound while playing piano while forte needs to little bit cut with bright tone. I'll see what "dynamic" (it's somewhere in the setup) will bring to me. Also while I prefer mellow on p I still rather prefer clear not rich tone so I'll test if I can get a little bit mellower sound from CG since it looks more clear to me than MG (which is indeed quite rich). Anyway, I'm looking forward to receive piano on Monday, then I'll start experimenting finally.
Thanks,
Karel

#2274576 - 05/12/14 05:35 AM Re: New Kawai ES7 owner [Re: KarelG]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Here you can have a glance at three mellow choices,two are with bright 2 voicing, other is mellow 2 (the slowest one,I guess).
I like melow/bright2, string res. set to 6, damper res. set to 6, no mechanical sounds at all. Normal touch, no EQ in these recordings. Recording chain: usb wav (+2 gain)-audacity (amplified up to -1,5dB)-export as flac-soundcloud. Reverb: small hall dur.-dep.=2
I like "lamento3" the most.
souncloud

Btw, I find dynamic touch is...fake? It makes it easier to play specially in the soft range, but I haven't had good feelings with this option, so far.

#2274580 - 05/12/14 06:02 AM Re: New Kawai ES7 owner [Re: KarelG]
musicman100 Offline

Loc: North east .UK
Hi,

What piece of music is that?

Is that you playing?

#2274583 - 05/12/14 06:05 AM Re: New Kawai ES7 owner [Re: KarelG]
mabraman Offline

Yep it's me. The tune is called "lament", slavic traditional, beginner level (as me smile )

#2274597 - 05/12/14 06:37 AM Re: New Kawai ES7 owner [Re: KarelG]
musicman100 Offline

Loc: North east .UK
You play it very well.Is there a copy of the music anywhere?

#2274612 - 05/12/14 07:25 AM Re: New Kawai ES7 owner [Re: KarelG]
mabraman Offline

Thank you very much!
I have a copy at home, I'll send you a pm tonight, or tomorrow. It's in A minor.
The original is even simpler than that version, it's a piece for five fingers but I added sustain pedal and new bass notes for each chord, and made other slight changes.
Simple as can be, but effective smile

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Wanted to say hi
by patty5sewing
11/26/14 05:43 PM
Price of Knabe WMV-121?
by blackjack1777
11/26/14 04:36 PM
Audiobox USB vs Audiobox 22VSL
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:33 PM
Forum Stats
77062 Members
42 Forums
159381 Topics
2341231 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission