Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
59 registered (bennevis, 36251, ando, 14 invisible), 1083 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2273266 - 05/09/14 01:47 PM Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy
whattobuy Offline

I am looking at getting a Grand Piano, but I am at a loss as to what to get. I don't play much, and my daughter is just now learning, so I don't know anything technical about Pianos.

I have two that I am looking at right now and I am wondering which one is the better option (yes I know that is a loaded question for some).

One is a brand new Knabe WG59 for $8,500 (plus tax since it's a store).
The other is a Yamaha G3 for $5,700, but they don't know how old it is (private seller, no tax).

Ideas, input...?? I know I am looking at two different prices, but I am wondering if the new one is worth the extra money, or if the Yamaha is a good deal in comparison with the Kanabe.

Thanks for your help!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2273270 - 05/09/14 02:04 PM Re: Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy [Re: whattobuy]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Newer is usually better, and a G3 would be pretty old. The Yamaha should be checked out by a technician.

Has your daughter tried them? Which does she prefer?

#2273300 - 05/09/14 03:06 PM Re: Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy [Re: whattobuy]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE

Edited by BrianDX (05/09/14 03:09 PM)

#2273332 - 05/09/14 04:30 PM Re: Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy [Re: whattobuy]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

whattobuy, maybe you should describe your priorities, budget, etc.

#2273438 - 05/09/14 08:01 PM Re: Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy [Re: whattobuy]
whattobuy Offline

My daughter tried them and she likes them both. I can tell a difference (the Yamaha sounds brighter) but not dramatically so. I can't tell enough of a difference to buy one over the other based on sound (on these two, I tried a Suzuki that was awful, and I prefer these two over some others I have tried), so now I am down to value. I am hoping to get a piano between 5'4" and 6' in size and I need to stay below $10,000. I am hoping to get a piano that I won't have to replace for a long time, if at all, but I also don't want to spend more money than a Piano is worth.
I have asked the sellers of the Yamaha for a serial number so I can look up how old it is, but they haven't gotten back to me. I just wasn't sure if either of those prices ($5,700 for the Yamaha and $8,500) was good prices, fair, bad....

On cars I can look up NADA and car reviews and get a good idea on what I am getting for what I am paying. I just don't know on Pianos.

#2273455 - 05/09/14 09:07 PM Re: Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy [Re: whattobuy]
supersport Offline

Loc: Arkansas
What to Buy

Here is a link to the Piano Buyer page for the current Knabe you are mentioning. The price you are reporting is quite a discount so the piano may have been around a while but still be new.

http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring14/234.html

There is a lot of information in the guide that you can use. It is advertised on this page to the left. Start there.

#2273522 - 05/10/14 01:14 AM Re: Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy [Re: whattobuy]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: whattobuy
I am hoping to get a piano between 5'4" and 6' in size and I need to stay below $10,000. I am hoping to get a piano that I won't have to replace for a long time, if at all, but I also don't want to spend more money than a Piano is worth.

I'm not sure if those pianos would be the last stop.

#2273794 - 05/10/14 09:34 PM Re: Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy [Re: supersport]
whattobuy Offline

Thanks, that link is helpful.

#2273796 - 05/10/14 09:38 PM Re: Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy [Re: whattobuy]
whattobuy Offline

Michaelha, what other Pianos should I be looking at if you think those two shouldn't be the last stop? Utah doesn't seem to have many used (that is where I am looking) and most that I have found in that range of size are about $14,000 for new. I would love some other options, I'm just not finding them. Ideas? Thanks for the help by the way, I appreciate it from everyone posting. I haven't looked at Pianos before this, so I am definitely a newbie (and feeling like I am in over my head).

#2273803 - 05/10/14 10:39 PM Re: Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy [Re: whattobuy]
michaelha Offline
500 Post Club Member

For that budget I'd look for a used Yamaha C2 or higher, Kawai RX2 or higher, Boston (whatever the cm conversion for 5'10" is) for Japanese pianos. Yamaha & Kawai also make some lower end, made in China or Indonesia, baby grands. I'd skip those. For European check out Petrof, Estonia, Schimmel, those are good and not too expensive. ~ 10 years old is perfect, but like a broken record around here "always hire someone that calls them self a piano tech to look at it." Around 30 years you'll probably need to do some work unless they already did. $10K might take some professional haggling skills though, but it's possible.

Edited by michaelha (05/11/14 12:25 AM)

#2273806 - 05/10/14 10:44 PM Re: Knabe-new or Yamaha-used. Which one to buy [Re: whattobuy]
Lizard Offline

Loc: Honolulu
The Yamaha sounds like it may be old, have it checked out.
Pretty low price for the Knabe,does it have a new factory warranty? That would be a plus, also check the age.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Does such a Portable digital piano exist?
by jim tulloch
Today at 05:47 AM
Erard restoration advice
by Chris Leslie
Today at 05:46 AM
Can cry or Can't cry while performing publicly
by tobevirtuoso
Today at 05:20 AM
Kawai Vpc1 ?
by daz100
Today at 05:02 AM
MOYD 2015
by SwissMS
Today at 04:10 AM
Forum Stats
77460 Members
42 Forums
160186 Topics
2352265 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission