2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
On Friday morning the electricians will install the overhead lights and the floor outlet. While they are here I will have them help me move all three legs onto caster cups, which I ordered today and will be arriving tomorrow.

At that point, the piano will be in its final position (I hope smile )

Last edited by BrianDX; 05/07/14 08:58 PM.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Phew !!!

Relax and Enjoy!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don't want to be accused of hijacking a thread but is it possible to put large casters on the legs of my Bechstein? it has the ice cream cone legs.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Brian,

When you were looking at the Avantgrand N1, did you consider the N2? I know it would have been even more expensive, but would the N2 have had better speakers, better ergonomics, and avoided the sustain-pedal/key interaction problems that you had with the N1?

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Almaviva,

We did indeed. In fact, when I heard the original issue with the N1 at the dealer, I suggested that perhaps we should move up to the N2 instead.

After a rather disinterested "why would you want to do that?" reply from my dealer, we went ahead with the N1.

The N2 did not have the same sustain pedal issues as far as I could tell, and the speakers were noticeably better. However, now that I have had the pleasure of having the Yamaha C2X in my home for over a week, I can make these observations (clearly my own smile ):

1) No matter how good the N2 (or N3) are, they really cannot fully reproduce the actual sound of a quality acoustic piano.
2) If it turned out we would not have room for the C2X, we would have bought a Yamaha U2 upright, which had a fabulous sound all its own.
3) If we really needed to stick to a digital piano (due to headphone necessity) knowing what I know now I would have stuck with our $2,000 Kawai CN34. Although it does not have the same grand action of the AdvantGrand series, the bottom line is, we were happy with the Kawai, very very unhappy with the N1.

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
An update on this post:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"On Friday morning the electricians will install the overhead lights and the floor outlet. While they are here I will have them help me move all three legs onto caster cups, which I ordered today and will be arriving tomorrow. At that point, the piano will be in its final position (I hope)"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lights are up, piano is in its final position with caster cups. Once our music poster and new piano bench arrive on Monday I'll post a "final" picture of our setup.

Thanks to Marty, Philip, Grandman and everyone else who contributed to this thread grin

P.S. How do I insert the comments of a previous post and make it look very nice in its own dialog box?

Last edited by BrianDX; 05/09/14 02:09 PM.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by BrianDX
Almaviva,

We did indeed. In fact, when I heard the original issue with the N1 at the dealer, I suggested that perhaps we should move up to the N2 instead.

After a rather disinterested "why would you want to do that?" reply from my dealer, we went ahead with the N1.

The N2 did not have the same sustain pedal issues as far as I could tell, and the speakers were noticeably better. However, now that I have had the pleasure of having the Yamaha C2X in my home for over a week, I can make these observations (clearly my own smile ):

1) No matter how good the N2 (or N3) are, they really cannot fully reproduce the actual sound of a quality acoustic piano.
2) If it turned out we would not have room for the C2X, we would have bought a Yamaha U2 upright, which had a fabulous sound all its own.
3) If we really needed to stick to a digital piano (due to headphone necessity) knowing what I know now I would have stuck with our $2,000 Kawai CN34. Although it does not have the same grand action of the AdvantGrand series, the bottom line is, we were happy with the Kawai, very very unhappy with the N1.

Wow, thanks for sharing, Brian. Its interesting that you preferred the u2 to the n1 or n2.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Almaviva,

I agree. I played the N3 and thought the speakers were lacking. I don't understand why they didn't go all the way and make the sound as big as a 9' CFX. Maybe it'd start stealing sales from the Cx series, or maybe there are some physical limitations. But Kawai's CS-10 had not only a pleasant tone, but it had the volume of a really big grand. Hopefully they're working on a better action.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Grandman,

Everyone has their own special criteria when choosing the right type and model of piano.

For most, the three most important are their budget, physical space, and special considerations (headphones, additional sounds, etc.)

We were lucky that our budget allowed us to consider some very nice choices. However, once this three week ordeal (or adventure?) was completed, there were only two really important things that mattered: how does it feel, how does it sound?

Now I'll tell you this; I went through all of the Yamaha literature abut the AG series, and the one hour spiel from my local dealer about how the AG series was "perfect".

OK, here were two real basic questions that I asked him:

1) Is is true that regardless what is "up front" in the AV series, the actual sound comes out of a series of speakers? YES
2) Is it true that an acoustic piano produces sound through a combination of hammers hitting piano wires, which then can cause other strings nearby to resonate, which are amplified by a spruce soundboard, which are then transmitted to my ears through analog sound waves that are not digitally sampled? YES

OK, I think I've made by point smile

Last edited by BrianDX; 05/09/14 02:26 PM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
P.S. How do I insert the comments of a previous post and make it look very nice in its own dialog box?

Under each reply in a thread there are a series of boxes to let you reply in various styles. "Quote" will include the screen name of the poster you are referencing, and "Quick Quote" will not. I have no idea why it is considered any 'quicker'.

It brings up the a reply box with the quoted text inserted. It is active text and you are able to edit it, such as deleting unnecessary text, as I have done with your posting.

To view how it will look, simply click "Preview Post" to confirm that everything is as you want it.

To practice, you can try it out and as long as you don't click on "Submit," it won't show up in the forum. You can always use your browser's "Back" button to return to the thread.

I hope this helps.

Marty in Minnesota

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
To practice, you can try it out and as long as you don't click on "Submit," it won't show up in the forum. You can always use your browser's "Back" button to return to the thread.

I hope this helps.

It did smile

Last edited by BrianDX; 05/09/14 09:19 PM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Brian - You now have become a full-fledged PianoWorldian.

Congratulations!

Marty in Minnesota

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A special shout-out to Marty concerning caster cups;

Not only does the piano now sit better and more evenly on our carpet, but they have added a more elegant look to the whole piano setup.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Aha! - I should quote your quote of Groucho.

Marty in Minnesota

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Everything has finally arrived and our room is finally in place.

Thanks so much to the many folks who helped us during the past few weeks. grin

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Final pics. Perhaps when the piano tech comes in a few weeks for our first free tuning I'll post anything of interest that he/she may find.

BTW: The room is 13 feet by 15 feet and the piano is 5' 8". There is another thread going on right now where folks are posting pictures concerning how big a room do you need for a 6 foot piano.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That looks like a great spot. Enjoy that Yamaha!

Gary

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
It is lovely!

The runner is very tasteful.

Marty in Minnesota

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Brian,

I really like that piano lamp. The way its attached, is there any concern it could scratch your music desk? Also, does it put any pressure and weight on the music desk at the point of attachment?

Last edited by Grandman; 05/14/14 04:09 PM.
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
My wife and I think so smile

The only issue we have is sometimes our cats will not permit us to play "their" piano. For those who owns cats you know what I mean.

So Marty, don't them caster cups look cool?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission