2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
LS35A Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have manageable but annoying pain in my left hand, and I also get stiff hands from playing.

This has been getting better over time. I've been using the dozen a day for about three weeks and it seems to help a lot.

The author says these are 'warm up' exercises that should be done before playing.

I've been splitting my practice sessions into morning (warm ups) and afternoon (music).

But if the purpose of the 'warm up' is to 'WARM UP' before playing maybe I should just get all my playing in one session.

So.... one daily session, or two? Length of time is not changed, it's just all at once or in two separate times.

I go back and forth on this one....

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
You did not mention the source of the pain in your left hand.

We, sort of, assume it is from playing the piano but that may not be the case.

If it is from playing the piano ... my suggestion is that you should stop playing entirely for awhile until the pain goes away. Pain is nothing to fool with. You can end up with permanent damage.

I would also suggest that when you resume playing you do so with a teacher. I say this because you may need to modify how you play in order to avoid the pain issue reappearing. You should not be experiencing pain from playing the piano.

Without a teacher, I would suggest less intensive practicing for awhile. You need to be able to practice without pain. If it comes again, stop playing a consult a professional.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Same as DMD, if the pain is piano induced stop and take a few days or weeks off.

If it is minor discomfort that is one thing, especially if a person has this from other activities. Pain is a stronger word than discomfort. When discomfort crosses to pain, I stop playing.

I do any number of things to manage my hand discomfort. RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) is the cliche, though elevation doesn't apply for hands. I also limit my practice time to a maximum of one hour per day. Short sessions are better. If it is a one hour block, break it into three or four segments with at least a one minute break in between segments.

I also wear a wide variety of gloves when using a computer or playing the piano or being out and about. For me, cool weather, even air conditioning, working a cool computer mouse, all aggravate the discomfort. Again, if discomfort crosses over to pain, I stop and take a day or two or more off from piano.

I have managed my hand discomfort for many years before piano. When I started piano, I was so enthusiastic, I was doing two hours a day. Within six weeks, I was in pain and decided to take a week off, started wearing gloves while playing, started doing the shorter practice, started using cold packs and soaking my hands in warm water.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I would have it evaluated.

Learner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You need to understand why there is pain, if you don't already, and you should never play while in pain.

If you have a condition like arthritis or carpal tunnel then make sure you understand the medical issues (from a doctor and/or PT) and then go talk to a skilled piano teacher who has experience teaching people with the same condition, to get some suggestions on how to play effectively while facing that problem.

If the pain is coming from piano playing, then you can make alterations in your playing to eliminate the pain. To some extent this can be done on one's own (let me try 17 ways of playing an octave and see which ones don't hurt...) but it's easier, faster and safer with a teacher who focuses on physical technique. I'd say this is true for discomfort as well. Piano playing really should be physically comfortable. It is different from dance or sports where new challenges usually cause some discomfort for a while.

Do not play while in pain.
Do not "push through" pain hoping it will make you stronger. That doesn't work with piano playing.

Last edited by hreichgott; 05/10/14 09:01 PM.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission