2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
I'm sure this isn't the first submission for this piece. It is, however pretty much the only Chopin I currently have under my belt if only somewhat. Recorded using my Korg Kronos fed into my DAW.

Please any comments are welcome to help me tighten this one up. I know the tempo is a bit slow but I am actively working on that. Thanks to all for listening and advising.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12758747

Kevin

Not on the rug, man...

My musical thingys: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=189614

Korg Kronos X88
F
F
Well done! The tempo is perfect, I think. I don't like this piece played any faster actually. What I would suggest is that you try to give a more rounded interpretation, wholesome chords with voices and phrases that tell a story. Basically, be creative with it and make the notes "come alive". smile
Besides that, good job on your first Chopin! smile

*Fiona*

"If music be food of love, play on!"
P.S. I am in love with Beethoven, infatuated with Liszt, and crazy about Chopin!
And when he behaves, Rachmaninoff is my darling! ;p
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you Fiona. When you suggest that I use wholesome chords, etc. are you suggesting that I deviate from the score? =) I love interpretations of music that go off the reservation a bit, much jazz players who cover popular music in their own way. I may just do that with this piece once I get comfortable enough with the chord changes. Thank you very much for your advice!

Not on the rug, man...

Korg Kronos X88

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Originally Posted by Arizona Sage
Thank you Fiona. When you suggest that I use wholesome chords, etc. are you suggesting that I deviate from the score? =) I love interpretations of music that go off the reservation a bit, much jazz players who cover popular music in their own way. I may just do that with this piece once I get comfortable enough with the chord changes. Thank you very much for your advice!

Nice job, fellow Phoenician !! Thanks for sharing this with us !! thumb

In terms of deviating from the score - I'm curious why you decided to roll some of the chords. grin You might want to consider playing the beginning of the third (final) section of the Prelude even more softly - almost a whisper - and then crescendo to the end. cool

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
A
OP Offline
A
I rolled a few - maybe a precursor to me changing that last bit up altogether with arpeggios...=)

I appreciate the comments and will work on my dynamics

Not on the rug, man...

Korg Kronos X88

Online Content

Originally Posted by Arizona Sage
I rolled a few - maybe a precursor to me changing that last bit up altogether with arpeggios...=)

I figured that's the direction you're planning to move in. Go for it !! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think it needs to be faster. Think about if you were singing, where would you want to breathe? Maybe every measure or every two measures... but not every two notes. The melody notes are already at a good volume, it's just hard to hear a coherent line when it's so slow. A more singable pace will help you shape the melody in a more meaningful way.
It might even really tie the room together laugh

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by hreichgott

It might even really tie the room together laugh

Your Lebowski reference didn't go unnoticed. grin

...and I tend to agree with your tempo assessment. I'm only playing it so slowly and "choppily" because I'm still learning it. I will try to imagine a vocalist singing as you suggest. Thank you!

Not on the rug, man...

Korg Kronos X88
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Not to be contrary (well...to be a *bit* contrary grin ), but I'd say the tempo sort of doesn't matter; you can't please everyone (Fiona says it's great, Heather says it's slow...sometimes I may play it much slower still) so play how you feel; um...it's a funereal piece and, as such, I think it *should* be robustly claustrophobic and oppressive; too much singing is a bad thing wink Seriously though, um, I didn't have any problem with your interpretation save that I didn't hear what *you* want to say within it; that is to say, go off-score to your heart's delight ^_^ I enjoy occasionally throwing in a shake (whereby the previous chord is the upper bound of the ornament) on the semiquaver of bars 10 and 11...um...it's all up to you; there's no limitation besides your own imagination, daring and what you feel works. There...not contrary at all laugh (Heather gave great advice BTW, but great advice is like a fine dark chocolate; it's not for everyone, just everyone with taste wink )
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
F
F
Originally Posted by FSO
Heather gave great advice BTW, but great advice is like a fine dark chocolate; it's not for everyone, just everyone with taste wink
Xxx

Touching quote. I really like this. smile
Oh, and Arizona, by whole chords, I should have explained that some of the rolled chords were just a little too much IMHO towards the end... A very simple, wholesome whisper (as someone called it) would really (I personally think) give a grievous hue to the picture. Which is what you want since it's a funeral.

*Fiona*

"If music be food of love, play on!"
P.S. I am in love with Beethoven, infatuated with Liszt, and crazy about Chopin!
And when he behaves, Rachmaninoff is my darling! ;p
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks Fiona. I understand what you mean now. Considering the "funeral" aspect I would tend to agree that a more sparse, delicate approach would better elude to a sense of dread. These chords just beg to be rolled, though wink. That is probably a habitual response on my part and done without regard to the "less is more" rule that should be considered for this piece. I am a noob after all.

Not on the rug, man...

Korg Kronos X88

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission