Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
81 registered (A Guy, Almaviva, Anita Potter, anamnesis, 25 invisible), 1249 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2276144 - 05/14/14 09:17 PM Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 34th quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #34 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 34 Zip 1
Recital 34 Zip 2
Recital 34 Zip 3
Recital 34 Zip 4
Recital 34 Zip 5
Recital 34 Zip 6

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2276150 - 05/14/14 09:34 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:dynamobt/Marilyn
Experience:Many
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Symphony No. 40 1st mvt
Composer:Mozart
Duration:11:47
Source of music:Schirmer Edition Four Hand Piano
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom H2n
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:We'd both had dinner with wine. You also need to understand that my sister is an organist not a pianist. She controls volume with the swell pedal. And she plays with conviction!! There was nothing for me to do but pound out my part to be heard. This was only our 2nd or 3rd attempt playing it through. My sister was here on vacation. So, we had learned out parts separately only sitting down together during her visit.

Please be kind with comments. I know the tempo is slow and we are pretty much pounding it out. Pedaling is poor, because my sister is not a pianist. Main thing is, we had fun. Lots of it!! We hope to do more duets in the future.

#2276151 - 05/14/14 09:34 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Whizbang (Chris)
Experience:35+
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_KHGV08E74
Title of piece:Milonga del Angel
Composer:Astor Piazzolla
Duration:06:32
Source of music:Piano sheet, arranged from the ensemble by John Mortensen
Instrument used:Fandrich Piano Company U-122
Recording method:Zoom H4 and iPhone
Additional info:This is not ragtime. It's also the product of about 9 months of painstaking work--a real labor of love that was at the limit of my abilities but which finally came together.

The only editing in this piece was to trim empty space off the beginning and the end of the recording. It took about 7 or so takes over 45 minutes. I usually try to capture an early take that I can live with and then continue recording a few times. With less pressure from the recording, I tend to find at least one of the subsequent takes will be less stuff and thus more musical.

Astor Piazzolla is a composer that many of you may not be familiar with. He's an Argentinian composer who originated the style of music called nuevo tango. He is possibly my favorite composer but he composed for ensembles of 5 or more instruments and it's hard to find playable piano works of his music, which features multiple instruments trading melodic lines in dance-like counterpoint.

Piazzolla himself played the bandoneon, which is a button accordion. You should look up his music on YouTube. He will change your opinion of the accordion.

Piazzolla studied music and composition under Ginastera. He won a composition contest, the prize of which was to be able to study in Paris with the renowned teacher Nadia Boulanger.

If ragtime and nuevo tango have anything in common, it's that they at heart are bordello music. Both styles found their first home in red-light districts. (Jelly Roll Morton, however, did claim tango as the root of ragtime.)

Piazzolla played his many compositions for Boulanger who, paraphrasing said, "I hear Shostakovich and other composers in your music, but I don't hear you." She was infamously frank about prying into her student's lives and when she learned that Piazzolla had been earning his living by playing tango in bordellos, she made him play one for her. Afterwards, she went, "There, there is the real Piazzolla!" Piazzolla destroyed many of his early compositions and started to invent a new style of tango, influenced by jazz.

Piazzolla's music is incredibly emotional, even melodramatic, contrasting dark 'masculine' sections with incredibly lyric feminine sections. I think he'll be considered one of the great composers.

#2276152 - 05/14/14 09:35 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:ShiroKuro
Experience:15 years in June smile
Home page link:https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u
Title of piece:Big My Secret
Composer:Michael Nyman
Duration:02:58
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Digital piano (Yamaha Arius)
Recording method:From piano, line-in to laptop mic-in port, then audacity to mp3
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:In case you missed the big discussion on editing: I edited this recording in one spot by deleting a pause in the middle of the piece. If that bothers you, please don't feel obligated to listen. Otherwise, please listen. I've worked hard on this piece, and I think it's a good representation of where I'm at with this piece and with my playing. I'm painfully aware of the ways in which I'd like to perform this piece better, but in spite of its shortcomings, I'm proud of this recording and I'm very pleased to have the chance to share it here.

#2276154 - 05/14/14 09:35 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Anne H
Experience:10 as a child, 1.5 as an adult
Title of piece:Discovery At Night
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:03:51
Instrument used:1960 Steinway console
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:This was the piece I was working on for the last recital, but we ended up finding a great house and relocating 250 miles right before. My piano ended up in storage while we packed up and moved in and I just got it back a month ago - I found I was really anxious without it.

This is one of those soothing pieces that I spent lots of time listening to during the move. Like most Einaudi, the notes are easy and making it sound like something is a much harder proposition. This was also my first recording in my new home music studio and I love the sound I got out of it.

Lunch was two cups of tea and organic mac and cheese while on the phone with a client - not my favorite!

#2276156 - 05/14/14 09:35 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:4 years and a few months
Title of piece:Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei".
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:03:18
Source of music:sheet music (Breitkopf & Härtel).
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Additional info:Schumann composed this set of 13 character pieces "Kinderszenen" (child scenes) in 1838. These are mostly pieces of just 1 or 2 pages. I thought it was time to work on a few relatively simple pieces after all the hard crunching that I did on my previous recital pieces.
The first piece that I play is " Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" (about foreign lands and men), which is also piece 1 from the cycle. The piece has the form AABABA. There are two counterpoint voices, and a middle voice that does triplet arpeggios. In my interpretation, the A part is a happy reminder of the composer's youth. The B part is a somewhat nostalgic look back at that time from the current moment in time.
The composer put just a single "Ped" marking at the start. I take this that he wants a little pedal to be used when needed.
The second piece that I play is "Träumerei" (a bit of dreaming), the 7th part of the cycle. This I think is the most famous piece of this cycle, and maybe even of Schumann. The piece is a variation of a theme, something like AA'AA' A'' A''' A A''''. Here we have 4-voice counterpoint in places, and I use hardly any pedal to bring those all out as clear as possible.
There is a lot of discussion about the speed of this 7th piece. Schumann indicates quarter note=100, which in later editions was changed to quarter note=84, but some say that the speed should be halved, that his metronome was broken, etc. I think that Schumann did have the right speed marking, but that this is the speed for the fastest parts, and that a lot of slowdown can be used where he indicates so.
I'm very sorry about the cracking sound that my pedal made. Various technicians already looked at it 3 times, and I also looked at it 2 times, I disassembled the food pedals twice. Every time, the cracking returned after a few weeks...

#2276157 - 05/14/14 09:36 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Jazzwee
Experience:9.5 Years
Title of piece:All the Things You Are Improv
Composer:Me
Duration:02:33
Source of music:From memory of chords from Lead Sheet. I don't play the actual tune. This is entirely an improvisation but uses the chords from All the Things You Are.
Instrument used:Nord Piano 88
Recording method:Zoom H4N recording the room from Mic. Keyboard playing through monitors.
Additional info:I didn't realize it was recital time so I just turned on the recorder and did an unplanned one take improvisation. So nothing fancy here.

#2276158 - 05/14/14 09:37 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:AZ_Astro
Experience:2 and 1/2 years and lots of trial and error.
Title of piece:Seventh Street Blues
Composer:Martha Mier
Duration:01:54
Source of music:The score was in Jazz, Rags & Blues, Book 1, by Martha Mier
Instrument used:This recording was created using the software piano Ivory II German D by Synthogy. I played on a Korg SP-250 digital piano.
Recording method:Cantabile software that comes packed with Ivory II.
Additional info:I fell in love with this piece the first time that I heard it. I've been working on it steadily for over a month. I can still improve my pedaling, my timing, and my chord attack. This piece is a really good vehicle to learn all of those techniques. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed learning and playing it!

#2276159 - 05/14/14 09:37 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:8 Octaves
Experience:4 years 10 months
Title of piece:When River Flowed on Mars
Composer:Nancy Telfer
Duration:01:07
Source of music:RCM Level 5 Repertoire
Instrument used:Yamaha C3X
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:This piece might as well be called etude for the right hand. Both accompaniment and melody is played from the right hand (two-parts voice) with the left occasionally playing a fifth (2 notes) every measure or other measure. Recording note: live take, no edits. Thanks for listening.

#2276160 - 05/14/14 09:38 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:SwissMS/Doris
Experience:Five years as an adult, a couple as a child
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62BIxwUt_d0
Title of piece:Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement
Composer:Kuhlau
Duration:04:01
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Bechstein A160 Grand
Recording method:Q3HD
Additional info:Kuhlau was a German born, Danish composer who is best known for music for piano and for flute. He has become known as the Beethoven of the flute, for his extensive flute repertoire. His Sonatinas have a charming lyrical quality. This Sonatina is often taught to intermediate students because it has running scaler passages in both hands. I have spent quite a lot of time with it, and it has really taught me a lot about classical era music, and execution of running passages. It is such a cheerful, but dramatic piece, it is a lot of fun to play. The Rondo will likely show up as the August recital!

#2276164 - 05/14/14 09:38 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:4 years 24 weeks (self-learning since Dec2009)
Title of piece:Quietness
Composer:CarlosCC
Duration:05:42
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Yamaha P85 (Grand Piano 1)
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:This piece has a story. This collection of notes and chords were born last summer during the last days of life of my best listener and admirer, and now I think they are a reflex of what was on my spirit during that period.

The true is that since the day she left this world, I couldn't play this notes again... but, and because I think she would like to listen this quiet tune, I recently decided to work on it recovering the main idea. Then, I was not worried about any other "audience" or the technical level of the piece, and I didn't follow any figure or predefined formats behind the chords or musical structure. This was only a job I had to recover someday, and I felt I could do it now.
So, this is what's behind this piece. Thanks for listening.

#2276165 - 05/14/14 09:39 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:Lots
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZKX_1fqJQM&list=UUfm6_6G1n0SmMfPJ3ojblZg
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Escape
Composer:Philip Glass
Duration:03:59
Instrument used:Young chang Pramberger grand
Additional info:I had planned on entering a much longer Glass piece but between work commitments, an arm problem and a composing obsession have chosen to submit an earlier recorded piece instead. I've been enjoying the simplicity of Glass works and this one particularly has a nice feel to it.

#2276168 - 05/14/14 09:39 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Greener/Jeff
Experience:Years
Title of piece:Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2.
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:02:16
Instrument used:Heintzman, Normandie (console)
Recording method:2 Mics, Audacity
Additional info:The 1st and 3rd movements of this famous work attract a great deal of attention, I think. Not so much for the 2nd movement. It is not nearly as enduring as the 1st movement and even further removed from the 3rd. Too bad it is often over-shadowed in preference of the other movements. It is a very pleasant respite and a fun piece to play.

#2276170 - 05/14/14 09:41 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; three years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Love Walked In
Composer:Gershwin
Duration:03:00
Source of music:Book of Gershwin Arrangements by Lee Evans
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq/Audacity
Additional info:This book was recommended to me by a jazz piano teacher, as a source from which to learn good arranging techniques for solo piano. It did not disappoint!

#2276171 - 05/14/14 09:42 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:George Schiro
Experience:20+ years, self-taught
Title of piece:Ambivalence
Composer:Schiro, George
Duration:04:44
Source of music:mood music, improvised
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:Just another feeling?

Note: this recording was submitted after several takes "as is" with warts and all (ie. no edits).

#2276172 - 05/14/14 09:42 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:peterws/peter
Experience:Many, off/on. Trained up to "Forgotten Dreams" level . .
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=r7pTYrfD4nU
Title of piece:Gymnopedies 2 & 3
Composer:Satie
Duration:05:29
Instrument used:DGX650/Pianoteq
Recording method:Audacity/Videopad/File converter
Additional info:These are soooo slow it was a real discipline to play. Took ages. The last is my fave; it might grow on you!
Music to yawn (relax) to . . .

#2276176 - 05/14/14 09:44 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:sinophilia (Diana)
Experience:2 years 2 months
Title of piece:In Church - Op. 39 no. 24
Composer:Tchaikovsky
Duration:03:07
Source of music:Pianist magazine
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-135
Recording method:digital to GarageBand
Additional info:After my piece for the Tchaikovsky recital was ready I decided to learn this one too, even if it was marked as "intermediate" on Pianist, because it looked like a great exercise in several things that I needed to learn, such as chord voicing, soft playing, pedaling. I studied it for one month and was quite pleased, but didn't think I could actually manage to record it. My goal was not to learn the piece thoroughly, but I kept playing it, mainly on my real piano, with very mixed results. The other day I just tried to record it on the digital and I think it worked, although I recorded page 1 and 2 separately, in part because I had printed the score on both sides of a single page (LOL), and also because the second part is harder and I needed a break. So my chords are not perfect and the dynamics is still not great but I can tell you I've improved a lot since I started this. Hope to be able to record it on the acoustic sooner or later! I made a video but it's unbearable grin

As for the tempo, I have a recording by Idil Biret that is about 3 minutes and I was very happy to stick to that. There are several 2-minute recordings on YouTube but frankly I'm not a fan, and I would have never been able to do that anyway.

Yesterday night I had a wonderful crunchy pizza made with sourdough smile

#2276178 - 05/14/14 09:45 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White
Experience:Lifetime by ear, self-teaching since the beginning of the recitals.
Title of piece:Torna A Surriento
Composer:Ernesto De Curtis
Duration:02:39
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P-80
Additional info:I heard this piece on the radio the other day and decided to see if I could find the sheet music for it. The internet is an amazing resource. This piece was not memorized.

#2276179 - 05/14/14 09:46 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:earlofmar
Experience:18 months
Title of piece:Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121
Composer:Bach
Duration:01:43
Source of music:Keith Snell Essential Piano Repertoire Level 4
Instrument used:Yamaha P105 & Galaxy Vintage D
Additional info:This is not an earth shattering piece or even one that might elicit much emotion other than a light and pleasant distraction. However for me this has been another wonderful learning experience, which is something you can only dream you will say one day as you go through the day to day trials of attempting to get it under your fingers. This is also not the work I intended to present in this recital, I have another piece which is a bit more flash, but at the very last minute I decided since I had worked so hard on this piece it deserved an outing.
Bach and I are good buddies but he really makes me work hard for just a little taste of what he has to offer.

#2276180 - 05/14/14 09:46 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:CASINITALY (Cheryl)
Experience:4.5 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/plLYwFdcFGo
Title of piece:Fughetta
Composer:Pachelbel
Duration:01:12
Source of music:Sheet music: Music for Millions Vol. 27
Instrument used:Yamaha P112N (Silent feature used)
Recording method:Audacity to PC
Additional info:I was charmed when I found a Pachelbel piece in my book, and delighted it was a fugue. I remember the first fugue I ever heard/learned, was in the high school concert band: Bach's Fugue alla Gigue - in G major if memory serves. That was my first introduction to the "puzzle" of this music with interweaving voices and it really got me hooked on this sort of music. It took me a long time to get several of the passages under my fingers, and I would like to play it just a tad faster, but for the time being this is my speed.

For those who watch the video, the photos are from 2 trips we did on antique steam trains, and shots around Lago D'Iseo in Northern Italy.

Brunch was sausage and eggs with sliced tomatoes and brown bread.

#2276182 - 05/14/14 09:47 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Newbert
Experience:3-4 years - then 45 years away from piano - now back at it (on and off) for about 9 months
Title of piece:New York State of Mind
Composer:Billy Joel
Duration:03:24
Source of music:"The Best of Billy Joel - Easy Piano" (Songbook).
Instrument used:Yamaha DGX640 + Pianoteq Stage
Recording method:Recorded wav thru Pianoteq, then converted to mp3 thru Audacity.
Additional info:I've been a fan of Billy Joel for most of my life, so I was happy to find a songbook that's at my level. I've added a number of chords and embellishment at the end, in order to give the piece a bit more "meat". I hope that they add to the overall performance.

#2276183 - 05/14/14 09:47 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:MaryBee
Experience:too many years on my own, past 5 years with a teacher
Title of piece:Nocturne in C minor, No. 21
Composer:Chopin
Duration:03:55
Source of music:Chopin Complete Preludes, Nocturnes and Waltzes (Schirmer) - a Christmas present from my husband smile
Instrument used:Charles Walter 1520 upright
Recording method:Tascam DR-08. Converted to MP3 using Audacity.
Additional info:I've been wanting to learn a Chopin Nocturne for quite a while now, but after two themed recitals back-to-back, I needed to find a piece that I could learn fairly quickly. This one was perfect; it is, I think, one of Chopin's easiest, yet it is also quite beautiful. I love the simple, mysterious nature of it, and the sweeping movement enhanced by some interesting composite rhythms: 5-against-2, 3-against-2, 14-against-4, 9-against-4, and 7-against-2. I'm now looking forward to working on some more Chopin Nocturnes in the future.

#2276184 - 05/14/14 09:47 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Mr Super Hunky
Experience:9 plus some
Title of piece:Everybody Hurts
Composer:R.E.M / M.S.H
Duration:03:19
Source of music:Original cover of a cover [The Coors covering R.E.M] which makes this an authentic double cover!
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB.
Recording method:Partially broken Zoom H2 into Audacity.
Additional info:Lunch is always the same consisting of a fermented vegetable medley with fermented Sauerkraut along with some chicken, brown rice crackers w/ black bean hummus dip. Drinks are water and a few gulps of raw milk kefir.

As far as being back on the mighty Mason BB... well, it is just incredible. The never ending resonance this piano is capable of producing is enough to tickle anyone's fancy. And it feels pretty good too! I Luv it.

#2276187 - 05/14/14 09:51 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:N17
Experience:About 5.5 months
Title of piece:Dance in G
Composer:Joseph Haydn
Duration:00:47
Source of music:Sheet music in Piano Handbook by Humphries
Instrument used:Casio CDP-120
Recording method:Digital to PC with audacity
Additional info:I'm not sure the number of the dance but it's one by Haydn that's included in the pieces in the Piano Handbook which I'm working through along with lessons with a teacher 1-2 times a month. Recording for this recital (my first) has been a humbling experience. I thought I had this piece down a while back....until recording. Listening to the recording and hearing the mistakes/potential for improvement is both frustrating and motivating. There are definitely some dynamic/tempo problems I hadn't noticed before...along with a completely wrong note. Don't hold anything back with any feedback needed!

#2276188 - 05/14/14 09:52 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Mar_red
Experience:Self-taught since 2007
Title of piece:Love Story
Composer:Francis Lai
Duration:03:24
Source of music:Lead sheets (only melody and chords)
Instrument used:Schimmel "baby upright" 40" 1972
Recording method:1. The t.bone SC 140 Stereoset microphones
2. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface
3. Audacity
Additional info:"Love Story", who doesn't know it?
Just pure beautiful melody.
I tried to do my best with my arrangement of it and to play it as beautifully as I am capable. I'm not sure if I succeeded...

One more thing, I always try to add an intro and an ending to my renditions.

This time at the beginning I went from Am 7 (the song is in Am key) or Am9 (I'm not sure, I am not able to play such runs two times in the same way melodically wise and rhythmically wise, I don't have to, there is no sheet music and at the same time it's a pure joy if your fingers can fly over the keyboard, to a great degree, "as they like" - really) to E7 through GM7, FM7 (or GM9, FM9). I think it's a little bit weird but interesting chord progression , at least I like it smile.

At the ending I went from Am7 (or Am9 as you already know) to GM7 through GbM7, so I ended in different and, to my knowledge, totally unrelated key!

I hope you will like my version of this beautiful song,my playing and my harmonical experiments smile.

#2276189 - 05/14/14 09:52 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:10+
Title of piece:Arietta
Composer:Edvard Grieg
Duration:01:18
Source of music:Complete Lyric Pieces for Piano, Dover Publications
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1 Grand Piano
Recording method:Zoom H2, Audacity
Additional info:I'm back to another Grieg Lyric piece. Arietta has many subtleties. I worked with the 3 independent voices. The soprano should be heard over the arpeggio in the middle voice and the bass in the third voice. All of them blend together. I know more work is needed and I will return to this piece again some time.

#2276190 - 05/14/14 09:52 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Sand Tiger
Experience:2 years 2 months
Home page link:http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Pancakes
Composer:Sand Tiger
Duration:01:46
Source of music:Original song with lyrics
Instrument used:Casio PX150 digital
Recording method:Recorded on the Casio, then to the voice recorder, to the computer, to Audacity to boost the volume.
Additional info:This song with lyrics came out of the Coursera on songwriting earlier in 2014. There are two bars of intro music and the lyrics begin with:

Pancakes (E major)
I remember Sunday mornings
a kid without a care
scent of melting butter
sizzling in the air

Bedtime stories, pillow fights
tender kisses, warm goodnights

Daddy's making pancakes for me
shows me that he cares
fluffy golden pancakes for me
my happy dance on air

Through my sad times
through my bad times
dad was always there

The curious can view the rest and a bit of the story at my blog:
http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/

I have not recorded a version with vocals yet--I am not much of a singer.

Enjoy.

#2276191 - 05/14/14 09:53 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:(Was)TrueBeginner
Experience:6 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/zHQjoNiqmxk
Title of piece:Blame
Composer:Original
Duration:03:14
Source of music:Self-composition
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1M
Recording method:Recorded using Flip nano, extracted and normalized sound using Audacity.
Additional info:Usually for this time of the year, I used to submit something for mother's day. But this time I like to dedicate this song for my dad. He is 91. A month ago, he was hospitalized for a fall, but they found out he had an incurable disease, so his time might not be for long. With all the things going on, I did not got a chance to prepare a good piece for the recital, but I think I should submit something to dedicate to him and all the parents in the world. Sorry to go back to a somber mood in this piece.

#2276192 - 05/14/14 09:53 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:ajames
Experience:10 months
Title of piece:Just a Day Away
Composer:Ben Crosland
Duration:02:03
Source of music:Cool Beans, Vol. 1
Instrument used:Kawai 350
Recording method:Zoom H4n
Additional info:I really enjoy this type of music, it's a great change of pace from Alfred's pieces and hundred year old "Album for the Young" bits about dolls and such (Tchaikovsky recital people know what I'm talking about).

The composer, Ben Crosland, and his publisher (Nikolas) are Piano World regulars, that's how I originally learned of the "Cool Beans" collection.

#2276200 - 05/14/14 10:07 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:jotur/Cathy Turner
Experience:2 years of lessons in my early teens, 30+ years off, playing for dancing since 1995, playing for assisted living venues since 2009.
Title of piece:Second Hand Rose
Composer:music: James F. Hanley, lyrics: Grant Clarke
Duration:03:01
Source of music:Sheet music, 1921/1965. Found in a thrift store
Instrument used:Casio PX-100
Recording method:keyboard to computer, audacity
Additional info:They ran out of plates at the pot luck between the Balkan singing concert and the contra dance, so I ate finger foods, like cookies and brownies smile Then I felt a little sick, so I came home and recorded instead of staying for the dance.

I got lucky, or maybe just tired, and this is the first and only recording. Cpl of hesitations, less usual for me, and enough wrong notes that if the seniors had been singing along it would have befuddled them. I think that's why I prefer dancers - I can more often than not keep going because I'm a dancer and it's the pulse that's natural and it doesn't disrupt the dancers, but singing requires melody note good and I don't do that so well, and it *does* disrupt singers, and they notice. Dancers could, in my experience, care less. I'm always sorry if I've interrupted the singers' flow. Nonetheless, there are things I like about this and I think are better than I've done before - more appropriate use of detached notes to give it a little lift, for one. I don't get as much lift from the bass as usual - this dosn't make me want to dance, tho I tap my foot - but someday this stuff is going to come together smile

Lunch - hm. I forget laugh

#2276201 - 05/14/14 10:07 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:http://youtu.be/GLXfBMY9vLU
Title of piece:Sonata in F minor, K466
Composer:Scarlatti
Duration:05:05
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Kawai CS6 digital piano
Additional info:Due to being a bit busier at this time of the year, I didn't have the time to polish up the Brahms Intermezzo so I decided to perform this Scarlatti instead.

I prefer to play this piece slow and soft, and like to describe it as a melancholic, isolated introspective contemplation. It's amazing how well this piece sounds when performed on a piano, when it was originally written for harpsichord. It almost feels romantic in some parts. Although technically very simple, trying to determine the ideal amount of pedalling in a piece like this is indeed challenging. The absence of any pedalling will end up making the piece too 'dry', while too much pedalling will just blur the notes into a mess.

#2276203 - 05/14/14 10:07 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:a lot
Video link:http://youtu.be/Axd5tZ7jODQ
Title of piece:Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano
Composer:Paul Reade
Duration:05:28
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L and a Buffet Clarinet
Recording method:Only one microphone, near the camera, so I'm guessing that's not the best for two instruments. But you could fill a book with what I don't know about recording...
Additional info:Laurie, on clarinet, is my wife! We celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary a couple of months ago. She found this piece somewhere - I understand it is the theme from a British TV show? I've never seen it. The recording has the first and last movements, so I spliced them together. The video is actual video of us playing together.

Laurie is a restarter on clarinet, playing again after not playing for over 30 years. So be kind in your comments!

Of course there is no excuse for me. I should be an old veteran at making recordings. But adding another instrument adds another order of magnitude of difficulty. I'm trying to listen to her, trying to read the music, trying to stay together, trying to play through my mistakes - no stopping allowed! We hope to play this at Summerkeys in July.

So its way more stressful than it should be.

The piano part is much harder than it sounds. Octaves in the right hand, arpeggios in tenths, and it doesn't fit the hand all that well. But it's fun to play.

Hope you like it!

This will be possibly be my last recital until 2015. I'm going on a 2185+ mile walk - the Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia, starting in mid-July. But I'll be back!

#2276205 - 05/14/14 10:09 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:outo
Experience:3 (+ childhood lessons)
Title of piece:Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro
Composer:Georg Philipp Telemann
Duration:02:03
Source of music:Barenreiter (ed. Max Seiffert), but used another score (Schott) as well for fingering suggestions.
Instrument used:Yamaha U1 Silent, acoustic mode, waiting to be tuned.
Recording method:Canon Ixus 960 IS
Additional info:The piece is something I worked earlier this spring with my teacher and liked it enough to try to properly memorize and polish it. It was a challenge to find good fingerings, had to make a lot of changes and I struggle a bit with the memory part. So a WIP still, sorry for the mistakes.
Did not include the shorter Dolce section, which I haven't been playing much.

#2276206 - 05/14/14 10:11 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:noobpianist90
Experience:Started piano in 2003. Restarted in June 2013 after a 4 year break
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKXXh517RPo
Title of piece:Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114
Composer:Christian Petzold
Duration:01:36
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-150
Recording method:Line-in Cable using audacity
Additional info:I haven't used any sustain pedal in this since I'm trying to break my habit of overusing it

#2276207 - 05/14/14 10:11 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Piano_Primo_1
Experience:5 years, self taught
Video link:http://vimeo.com/95042138
Title of piece:"Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session
Composer:Brian McKnight Arranged by Richard Bradley
Duration:04:38
Source of music:Video
http://vimeo.com/95042138
Score pages (4)
http://postimg.org/gallery/363etfg9c/
Instrument used:Casio PX 100
Recording method:Digital to computer -windows movie maker , then converted video to .mp3 audio.
Additional info:Score Arranged by Richard Bradley
Re- upload Long piece ( with coda's, 1rst and 2nd repeat endings ,,, recorded in 1 session. Played thru any pause or near mistakes .
4 min 37 sec.

#2276208 - 05/14/14 10:11 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Ganddal
Experience:Can't remember anymore
Title of piece:Gratulation
Composer:Wilhelm Peterson-Berger
Duration:02:33
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1
Recording method:Zoom
Additional info:Wilhelm Peterson-Berger (1867 - 1942) was a Swedish composer. He composed a lot of music including 5 symphonies and 2 operas. In addition to this he wrote many shorter pieces, and I have made recordings of three small piano pieces from a collection called "Frosoblomster" ("Froso flowers"). For the recital I selected one of them, the two remaining ones ("Sommarsang" and "Vid Froso kyrka") I'm going to present under the May piano bar after the release of this recital. The two latter pieces are the most popular of his piano pieces.
Unfortunately the music of Peterson-Berger is little known outside Sweden. I hope you will enjoy my presentation of music written by this fine composer.

#2276209 - 05/14/14 10:11 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Ohio_Mark
Experience:2+
Title of piece:Beach Buggy Boogie
Composer:Martha Mier
Duration:01:21
Source of music:Jazz Rags and Blues
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CVP505
Recording method:to USB
Additional info:One of the things that I enjoy with the Clavinova is experimenting with the different voices. For this piece I have a piano setting for the bass harmony and a steel guitar playing the melody.

I have a live recital coming up in June and I think I might be playing this piece in the recital. Easy enough and I think I can sludge through any nervous breakdowns I might have. It will be my first ever live recital.

#2276211 - 05/14/14 10:12 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:Nearly 10 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/d857u4Opwyk
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Scarborough Fair
Composer:David Nevue (arr.)
Duration:03:49
Source of music:Sheet music, obtained from David's site: wwww.davidnevue.com
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:mp3 file recorded using Zoom H4, normalized in Audacity; video recorded on Zoom Q3.
Additional info:David Nevue gives this traditional melody a unique and lovely spin with his arrangement, adding two bridges and nice ornamentations. This piece is a heck of a lot of fun to play, and it's one I'm planning on keeping in my permanent repertoire. It's also the first piece I've played that requires several measures to be played WITHOUT the pedal. I felt naked. laugh Lunch was Lean Cuisine spaghetti and meatballs.

#2276212 - 05/14/14 10:14 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:gingko2
Experience:returning adult, on and off many years
Title of piece:Ivan Sings (Andantino)
Composer:Aram Khachaturian
Duration:01:22
Source of music:Schirmer Edition, Selected Piano Works-Intermediate to Early Advanced, Aram Khachaturian
Instrument used:Kawai CA63
Recording method:digital to PC, Audacity for amplification
Additional info:This is the first piece in a suite called "Adventures of Ivan." The whole set is playful and expressive. I'd like to learn them all.

Getting the left hand even and soft enough is a challenge. Getting the right hand even is difficult too. Tried to accent some notes and change dynamics but some notes stick out. Still trying to get rid of the "banging" sound.

#2276214 - 05/14/14 10:14 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Ataru074
Experience:10+ Total, restarted less than 5 years ago.
Title of piece:BWV 866 Fugue
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:02:20
Source of music:Bach Well Tempered Clavier vol 1 - Henle
Instrument used:Kawai, GS-30
Recording method:Zoom H4, Shure SM 81 mics in ORTF setup. Piano 1/4 stick.
Additional info:Fumbled here and there... but first and only take, no editing.

#2276216 - 05/14/14 10:14 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Copper
Experience:9
Title of piece:To a Wild Rose
Composer:Edward MacDowell
Duration:02:47
Source of music:The Library of Piano Classics
Instrument used:Yamaha P-250
Recording method:Connected the Yamaha P-250 to the computer

#2276217 - 05/14/14 10:15 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Andy Platt
Experience:Years of noodling, four years of lessons
Title of piece:Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56
Composer:Bela Bartok
Duration:06:22
Source of music:Alfred Masterwork Edition
Instrument used:Kawai K3
Recording method:Zoom H1 and Audacity
Additional info:I've grown to really like this piece. It's six dances, some upbeat, some more laid back. The harmonies are simpler when you analyze than might appear - Bartok was great at just subtly changing one note and making things sound very exotic but - at the same time - grounded. A number of times he will repeat the melody with different harmonies.

I recorded the first five dances in one take. That wasn't really my intention, I just kept going and there it was. So there are small bumps in most of the dances which I could have avoided if I had recorded each separately until I got a good take. But I felt the "whole" was more consistent.

The sixth, though, I couldn't get in the same recording because I was playing from memory and it wasn't memorized. So that was recorded a few weeks later.

One thing that I feel I haven't brought out is enough dynamic range. It's funny, when I play them I feel the dynamics but they aren't coming through in the recording very well.

Oh, and I used the correct characters for Bela's name originally but it didn't come through correctly so I've reverted to the Anglicized version.

#2276218 - 05/14/14 10:15 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:carlos88
Experience:year 3 back as an adult
Title of piece:From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses)
Composer:Debussy
Duration:04:44
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha
Recording method:Zoom H4 + Audacity
Additional info:Not quite ready for the recital - about 2-3 more weeks of work left on the piece. The mistakes right now were in places that weren't surprising.

Recorded it about 10 times, sounded way too fast in some of the parts. Something to work on next.

I'm not sure what Debussy had in his sketchbook, but to me, it's all quiet ocean and moonlight, waves moving in and out.

#2276219 - 05/14/14 10:16 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Jazztpt (Russ)
Experience:38+
Title of piece:Pictures
Composer:Jazztpt
Duration:02:34
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Roland HP507
Recording method:Direct to Piano then converted to MP3 in Audacity
Additional info:I wrote this tune a few years ago but have been workng on this arrangent of it for about a year on and off. I was going to submit it to the recital previously but found I couldn't actually play it very well. Finally thought it was ready but when I came to record it a few weeks ago I found I was mistaken!
Boy did I have trouble getting this recorded, brain going blank , fingers not working , fingers like bananas when the red light went on. I am sure you all know the drill.
This was to be my last try and I managed a version of it though far from where I want it to be, I speed up and play it too fast for my fingers but hey , keep practicing.

I titled it Pictures for no other reason than I have taken up photography and "pictures" are on my mind :-)

#2276220 - 05/14/14 10:16 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:wimpiano
Experience:Started October 2013
Title of piece:Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor
Composer:Georg Philipp Telemann
Duration:00:52
Source of music:Essential Keyboard Repertoire, Volume 1
http://www.alfred.com/Products/Essential-Keyboard-Repertoire-Volume-1--00-501C.aspx
Instrument used:Schimmel 116S, 1999
Recording method:Tascam DR-07 MK2
Additional info:Thanks for listening. This is my first submission.
It is meant to be faster but that's above my current ability.

#2276221 - 05/14/14 10:17 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:torquenale (alessandra)
Experience:Started again October 2011 (some useless years as a child - teen)
Title of piece:Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60)
Composer:Dmitri Kabalevsky
Duration:01:22
Instrument used:Apollo upright
Recording method:Zoom H4n - normalized in Audacity and converted into mp3 format
Additional info:A nice little piece, in the middle part it makes me think to a Fellini circus.
Sorry for the mistakes!

#2276222 - 05/14/14 10:17 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:rerun
Experience:7+ years at PianoMagic
Title of piece:Tipitina 5 14 14
Composer:Professor Longhair
Duration:03:07
Source of music:played by ear
Instrument used:Celviano AP-24
Recording method:Recorded from DP speakers to Audacity with laptop/internal mike sitting nearby ... 1st take and completely unedited including volume and with no piano sound fonts used .... sorry about the dead air time at the start and finish and the clangors.
Additional info:Having barely looked at the dp in the last month, I was planning to post a version of Tipitina closer to the version Longhair plays, but my RH hand isn't there yet so I went with an easier version.

You guys deserve better than this, but rather than pass this recital up because of little prep time I decided to just post something (if it wasn't an absolute train wreck) and hope my calendar is not a mess before the next recital. Peanut butter crackers for lunch.

#2276223 - 05/14/14 10:18 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:TrapperJohn
Experience:9+
Title of piece:Ashokan Farewell
Composer:Jay Ungar (Arrangement by Dan Coates)
Duration:02:54
Source of music:Sheet Music from Alfred
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CP-301
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:"Ashokan Farewell" gained worldwide fame when it was chosen to serve as the recurring theme of Ken Burns' masterful 1990 PBS TV documentary miniseries "The Civil War". It is heard numerous times, in whole or in part, throughout the multi-part series, usually appearing during the most tragic and saddest segments. This is entirely appropriate because, although it is a waltz, it is a waltz in the form of a Scottish Lament. The version heard during the series has the composer on violin with his wife accompanying on guitar.

Just about every piece of music heard throughout "The Civil War" - and there is a lot of it - is music from that era. "Ashokan Farewell" is not. It was composed in 1982 as a farewell or goodbye salute or tribute to the students who attended Ungar's music camp near the Ashokan Reservoir in New York. Ken Burns later heard it and quickly snatched it up as the theme of his documentary - one more stroke of genius among many connected with that miniseries.

The version I play here is an easy piano arrangement by the ubiquitous and talented Dan Coates. This is an updated rendition of this piece that I had submitted to a Recital a few years ago. I decided to re-record it because (1) I think it's a wonderful piece of music that I love playing and which I thought I could improve upon; and (2) the piece I was working on for quite some time for this Recital, "The Phantom of the Opera", was far too long and complicated - given the time and effort invested in my other current hobbies - to get into a recordable state in time. Next Recital...maybe...

Hope you enjoy,

Trapper

#2276224 - 05/14/14 10:18 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Richard (zrtf90)
Experience:oh, loads.
Title of piece:Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:12
Additional info:This is a pre-recording that I planned my work around then life interrupted.

I've played the piece for years but it needed refreshing. I still have it to do.

#2276225 - 05/14/14 10:18 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Pathbreaker (Tarik)
Experience:13 years
Title of piece:Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2
Composer:Brahms
Duration:08:29
Source of music:sheet
Recording method:Audacity. Both played in single take. It was hard to be satisfied with both in any given take. Usually one was good and the other bad. This one I prefer the A major and the A minor is kind of not what I wanted but will do.
Additional info:The first Intermezzo is a new piece that I didn't really intend to learn but somehow got sucked in. To justify learning it I decided to re-learn the A major intermezzo because I think it is a piece that's worth keeping in my repertoire.

Some background:

I started playing piano at the age of 20 with no experience in music. I had become really obsessed with classical piano and decided to find a teacher to learn how to play. I stayed with the same teacher for my first three years and then moved on for various reasons. It was at this time that I found Piano World and found a great deal of encouragement and guidance. A few years later I took a long hiatus after basically 'quitting' piano and did not really visit this forum. For the last two years I slowly got back into playing but I've only played for myself and nobody ever hears me play. Luckily there are these wonderful recitals so that I can have the motivation to play much more!

#2276226 - 05/14/14 10:19 PM Re: Recital 34 --- May 15, 2014 [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Valencia
Title of piece:Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!!
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:02:25
Additional info:A last minute decision to submit this piece! The 3rd movement of Beethoven's wonderful sonata Op. 109 is written as a set of 6 variations on a theme. Here I've only submitted the theme. If you've never heard the 3rd movement or the entire sonata for that matter then I encourage doing so as it is breathtakingly beautiful . By the sixth variation the piece is otherworldly, and yet in the end, there is a return to the simple and enduring theme. One of my favorite performances is by James Rhodes and can be found here (with added captions in the video so you know when each variation begins) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ayD3BjplY

The theme is extremely challenging and a work-in-progress. Some skills I'm working on to play it successfully are striking the notes together so they sound at exactly the same time (within intervals or chords) and my touch on the keys (so that each note isn't like a stomp on the eardrum). Right now I'm really focused on sounding the notes together and so my dynamics are on the flat side. I also like the way James Rhodes detaches the notes on the repeat of the first few bars and while I tried to do that here, I have not yet mastered it.

Thanks for listening!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
12/20/14 09:17 PM
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
12/20/14 08:55 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160028 Topics
2350005 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission