Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2277869 - 05/18/14 11:27 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
A few more before I get to work this morning....

23. N17 - Dance in G
Very nice recording, it sounds like you're doing really great! Keep up the good work!

24. Mar_red - Love Story
Mar_red, this was one of the very first pieces I ever learned how to play -- except I was using a book for beginners with basically one note in each hand at a time, so it was no where as interesting as your arrangement. But hearing your version really brought back memories! I really like your "harmonic experiments" very nice!

25. joangolfing - Arietta
I'm not familiar with this piece, but your playing is really nice. Thanks for sharing it with us!

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes
What fun! Now I really want to go eat pancakes!!

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame I'm sorry to hear that your father is not doing well. But I think this is a lovely tribute to him. It may be somber, but it's very nicely composed Thank you for sharing it with us.

28. ajames - Just a Day Away Thanks for sharing this piece by PW regulars, I'd heard of the Cool Beans collection and of course see lots of posts by Nikolas, but I think this is the first one I've heard. Given the "Cool Beans" name I was expecting something frivolous, but this was more pensive and quite intersting. Great job!

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose
I wasn't sure if I knew this piece, but hearing your playing assured me I do. What fun! I thought your performance was excellent, very toe-tapable and sing-along-able! Your playing definitely has a great lift to it, and I like the balance between LH and RH a lot, I think you got it just right. Sometimes lyrical pieces are hard to make work as solo piano (might that be another reason you tend to prefer the dances?) but in this case, I think your LH/RH balance and the way you bring out the melody leaves nothing to be desired, really nice work!

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466
Lovely! I agree, it does sound more romantic than I usually think of with Scarlatti. I'm sure that's partly due to your wonderful playing, which nicely captures the melancholic introspective feel you mentioned and is just the right tempo IMO. Your pedalling is quite nice as well, neither dry nor blurred. Wonderful playing!

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano
You both sound fantastic!! And this is a lovely piece of music as well. I used to play clarinet in middle school (seems like a hundred years ago!) But I don't really remember having my interest captured by any of the music I was playing. I think had I played something like this I might have stayed interested. Your wife sounds really great, and you do as well. I am not a recording pro, but since it seems like the clarinet is easier to hear and the piano harder to hear, I wonder if placing the mic closer to the piano might pick up more of you without losing your wife's playing. In any case, really great job!

Edited by ShiroKuro (05/18/14 11:28 AM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2277941 - 05/18/14 02:04 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Here's my second batch of comments:

26. Sand Tiger - Pancakes Very nice - the simple treatment brings to mind a kid and wonder at the world.

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame Very new-age-y. (Is that a word?) It has a similar quality. Loved the octaves that were displaced a little. But why is your index finger so far up in the air? Looks painful!

28. ajames - Just a Day Away I've got this book! But never had much time to actually play through it and find something I liked. Now you have done that job for me, thanks - liked it a lot.

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose Nice touch on the "second hand rose" part, and great lead-in to that. Just a nice feeling overall...

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466 Very smooth and professional sounding. I think you hit just the right balance with the pedal. Loved that tempo too, And the lighting in the video...

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro Nice balance between the hands - well done!

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114 Very nice - loved the little ornaments. And the different touch between the hands came off very well. But that blinking light on the piano would drive me nuts :-)

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session I captured the feel of it very well!

35. Ganddalf - Gratulation Very interesting - sounds difficult, yet you make it seem easy!

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie Loved the feel of it, and the different sounds. Good luck on the recital!

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair It's been awhile since we had a David Nevue - I can always recognize his pieces, with the driving rhythm. Excellent job!

38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino) I love the "Ivan" pieces. They make a nice set to learn and play. Great job!

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue Excellent - it takes a lot of courage to play these. You didn't say which one it was and how many voices - 4?

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose I love this! Wish I play could the whole suite, but this is the one that is the most lyrical. Excellent job.

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56 I haven't heard much Bartok - I really need to do something about that. You bring out the different characters of these very well: the jaunty one, the mysterious one, the melancholy one, and so forth. As far as the dynamics go, you're hearing it in your head the way you want it to sound - it has to be exaggerated to get the same effect in your playing...

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses) Yeah, I can hear the waves and the moonlight - Debussy must have had the same idea that you had!

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures Your hard work sounds like it paid off! Very professional sounding.

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor That's a good tempo, I think. Well done - welcome to the recitals!

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60) Very bouncy - great job capturing the essence of it!

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14 Anytime someone plays something by ear I'm impressed. Great job!

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell I've been trying to arrange this for clarinet and piano so Laurie and I can play it, but have found that the melody line is just too long for her and she runs out of breath! Sounds great!

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1 Wonderful - great waltz feel to it!

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2 I've tried playing the second one, but never got it to the point where I would want to play it for anyone - you've inspired me now, though - I'll have to go look it up. These intermezzos are difficult to pull off - you did a great job!

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!! I can tell from your playing how much you like this music - wonderful!

And that's the end of another great recital. Thanks everyone!

Sam

#2277969 - 05/18/14 03:14 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S]
noobpianist90 Offline

Loc: India
Originally Posted By: Sam S
33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114 Very nice - loved the little ornaments. And the different touch between the hands came off very well. But that blinking light on the piano would drive me nuts :-)Sam
Hahaha! laugh It actually did drive me nuts initially. I have changed my view of it. I now see it that when the light is blinking, I am not allowed to make any mistakes. This has actually helped me focus and produce better recordings.

#2277973 - 05/18/14 03:23 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: wouter79]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: wouter79
08. 8 Octaves
piano sound: Pretty good. For a moment I thougth this was a Yamaha DP....

Thank you wouter79 for detailed analysis. Yes, the music may be a bit contemporary as classical goes and I think it grows on you (especially if you had to play it 300 times!) Otherwise, I know what you mean. Pedaling was written in the score, and in different spots on every measure so you do not get the benefit of auto-pilot.

I'm mostly surprised you think it sounds like a DP. You can blame yours truly the recording engineer, which I am a total newbie. I have since changed the mic position, which gives a better sound, and quality setting in the Mac (doh!), but you'll have to wait for the next recital. Trial and error I guess. The piano sounds amazing, but I am not capturing it for sure.

The slow down at 0:40 and at the end were marked "rit." in the score. I do not do serious rubato on my own, too advanced for me! Maybe in a few more years when I reach level 7-8.... I'm impressed with your listening! Thanks again for the extra time.

#2277974 - 05/18/14 03:37 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Perfect weather here today, as beautiful as a day can be, great for sitting out on the back porch with my laptop, listening to this great recital. Even through ear buds, you all sound terrific! A few comments:

01. dynamobt/Marilyn - Symphony No. 40 1st mvt
Wonderful! I really enjoyed it. I have always loved this symphony - it starts out so light and frothy, but quickly develops an edge and you find yourself embroiled in tension and drama. I've never heard a four hand arrangement of it before; it is awesome. It must be really difficult to stay in sync with each other over the course of such a long piece, but you managed it superbly in spite of limited practice. By all means, more duets, please!

02. Whizbang (Chris) - Milonga del Angel
Spectacular! I don't remember ever hearing of Piazzolla before, and I really was not expecting anything that exciting, dramatic, beautiful. Incredibly difficult; I would have given up on it after week one, especially the fast left hand parts. Thanks for introducing us to this wonderful work.

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv
Way behind schedule? Need something quick? ATTYA to the rescue! Well done, expressive. Not a clichť in sight, but at every instant I can clearly hear the harmony outlined, with enough tension here and there to give the music some forward motion. Great chops, you are still making progress, IMHO.

08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars
Those broken chords and flowing melodies do indeed suggest a river, while the minor harmonies seem to inject something ethereal or mysterious - what a perfect depiction of flowing rivers in an unearthly place in some distant time! Played with excellent touch and feeling, you conveyed the feeling perfectly!

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement
What a joyful, animated piece of music! That is a long piece to memorize - very impressive. Your playing is excellent. I was particularly impressed by how you pulled off those ascending left hand runs - I would have had to skip them or simplify them. Well done.

10. CarlosCC - Quietness
Music can say things that words cannot touch. You have said them here; I will not try to verbalize other than to say - well done, and thanks.

11. Peyton - Escape
Even hearing his name - Phillip Glass - seems to put me into a trance. I love the simplicity of his melodies combined with the infectious rhythms, it never fails. Perfectly executed, as always, Peyton.

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2.
Jeff, i have heard this so many times, always liked it, but of course it is more or less a lighthearted break sandwiched in between industrial strength stuff, so we don't give it the attention it deserves. I enjoyed it, your playing is top notch.

15. peterws/peter - Gymnopedies 2 & 3
Love that piece! I have never tried to play it but I have listened to it a lot. Once, after listening to it, I created an arrangement of a Bill Evans song. Everyone said - hey that sounds kind of gymnopedish. Not surprising. Something about that left hand pattern Ė Itís infectious. I enjoyed your playing, very well done.

More later.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2277985 - 05/18/14 04:10 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: noobpianist90]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: noobpianist90
It stirred something in me that was long forgotten. I had to put it on loop and listen to it at least 4 or 5 times before I was satisfied smile

Wow! blush

#2277993 - 05/18/14 04:43 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: 8 Octaves]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pancakes! Great job Sand Tiger.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2277996 - 05/18/14 04:50 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

11 peyton

12 greener

02 whizbang

01 dynamobt

28 ajames

Edited by wouter79 (05/18/14 05:06 PM)

#2278009 - 05/18/14 05:10 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Wouter79 that last batch of "feedback" was very interesting smile

#2278013 - 05/18/14 05:14 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei".
There's lots to like here. Great choices and very accomplished playing. Your piano and the recording quality really help make this an enjoyable listen. I like your tempo on the Traumerei. It sounds just right to me and it would probably drag if it were much slower. Nice job.

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv
I wish I could play like this. You have a great ability to create music in the moment. I enjoy jazz but don't have too much exposure to it. I wonder who some of your favorite artists are?
Your doing this in a single take is quite remarkable and I should be clear that my one take is not the same. I actually meant that I recorded the two pieces together without interruption, not that it was a first recording attempt. smile

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues
Nice playing of this beautiful piece. I'm really impressed with your dynamics here which really created different layers in the music. The melodic line really rises above the sometimes adventurous chords. I see how you fell in love with this one. I also like the sound of your instrument and I hope I can put something like that together one of these days if I can get a bit of knowledge in that area.

It's a short piece but I like the mood and the imagery that this music captures. Nice work.

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement
Definitely never heard of this composer. I love hearing new material and it shows that you've put a lot into this music. How were you exposed to this composer and why did you choose to learn it?
Your piano has a wonderful sound and you put together a very high quality recording. Thanks for sharing.

10. CarlosCC - Quietness
Calm and meditative, this is really beautiful. This kind of contemplative piece is very hard to pull off, I think, but you really made a connection and were able to communicate the message beautifully.

11. Peyton - Escape
I really like Glass. Actually I have the sheet music for The Hours, I think this is from there. Now I will have to go and find it. Wonderful performance. Your piano sounds great too!

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2.
Great choice! I completely agree this is a great movement that gets overshadowed by the outer movements. Nice work on this one.

13. Riddler (Ed) - Love Walked In
Rich piano sound and artistic playing. I loved it, thanks for sharing!

#2278078 - 05/18/14 07:19 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Sam S]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Sam S

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell I've been trying to arrange this for clarinet and piano so Laurie and I can play it, but have found that the melody line is just too long for her and she runs out of breath! Sounds great!

Sam

Thanks Sam - this would make a gorgeous piano/clarinet duet - keep working on it and bring it to us here - maybe you could take the melody line and let her "dance" all around it with a lyrical accompaniment that emphasizes the beautiful sadness of that melody, but which doesn't turn her blue in the face...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2278083 - 05/18/14 07:38 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I listened to all of the pieces in this recital. I want to thank you all. I enjoyed it.

#2278093 - 05/18/14 07:57 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: rnaple]
newbert Offline

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
I'm still working my way thru listening to all the recital pieces. As usual, I am blown away by the talent, musicality, skill, dedication and mutual support exhibited. I don't/won't have the time to comment on each individual piece, but everything that I have listened to so far has been great - very enjoyable.

I also want to thank those who commented on the Billy Joel piece that I submitted. Your kind words of encouragement are appreciated more than I can ever express here. Thank you!

#2278136 - 05/18/14 09:48 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
01. dynamobt/Marilyn - Symphony No. 40 1st mvt A good duet, which part did you play, bass or treble? Either was good, and you managed to stay in sync with each other. It's probably more difficult to get everything right in such a long piece.

02. Whizbang (Chris) - Milonga del Angel Nice work, seems to be a demanding piece.

03. ShiroKuro - Big My Secret Good work on that one. Don't know the piece, but it doesn't sound easy. No shame to edit a pause away, I know from my short piano journey what a huge effort can go into an even easier song than this one. The pace seemed steady.

04. Anne H - Discovery At Night Very good.

05. wouter79 - Kinderszenen, Op. 15, "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen" and "Träumerei". Well played, both pieces.

06. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are Improv Nice improvisation.

07. AZ_Astro - Seventh Street Blues Well done.

08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars Short and sweet!

09. SwissMS/Doris - Sonatina in C Major Opus 20 #1 1st Movement Good and smooth playing, must be a hard piece with all those tempo changes and runs. Nice piano.

10. CarlosCC - Quietness This is a beautiful piece, and you played it well. I'm often surprised how well the P85, which I once had, sounds. Sorry to hear about your loss of a loved one, piano playing is a great healer. I can almost sense that this music is born out of grief.

11. Peyton - Escape Nice playing, seemed easy at first, but then picks up speed.

12. Greener/Jeff - Moonlight Sonata, Mvt 2 - Op. 27, No 2. The 2nd movement of this famous piece is not as well known, as the other ones. I often listen to the Moonlight Sonata on YouTube, and usually turn it off shortly after the 1st movement is over, but I have heard the second one often enough to recognize it's characterizing progression. You played it well.

13. Riddler (Ed) - Love Walked In Well done.

14. George Schiro - Ambivalence Very good.

15. peterws/peter - Gymnopedies 2 & 3 Great job on the Satie Gymnopedies. The first one I've come to recognize and appreciate, but the other two are very good as well.

16. sinophilia (Diana) - In Church - Op. 39 no. 24 Nicely played, judging from how the notes fade out, you seem to pedal correctly.

17. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Torna A Surriento Well done, this piece is a fun listening to.

18. earlofmar - Minuet in C Minor BWV Anh 121 Great playing of that Bach minuet.

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta Nice Pachelbel there.

20. Newbert - New York State of Mind This one is among my favourites, great job with it. Just looking at the chord sequence of this song puts me in a New York State of Mind, so congrats on taking it on. I myself am practising And So It Goes, which is not as frightening, but challenging enough for me.

21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21 A lovely nocturne, well done.

22. Mr Super Hunky - Everybody Hurts Great playing!

23. N17 - Dance in G Good job, a lively short piece.

24. Mar_red - Love Story Very good, I love this song and you did well with it.

25. joangolfing - Arietta Good job on that Grieg piece.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#2278227 - 05/19/14 03:00 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: casinitaly]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Wouter79 that last batch of "feedback" was very interesting smile

I hope there will be more smile

#2278248 - 05/19/14 06:08 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
did some more listening today, so much talent it is very humbling:

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466 This is so beautiful and exquisite I think my words would be too banal. One word though ďcaptivatingĒ.

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano After all the solo piano this came as a very pleasant surprise. The piece is well chosen and you both played really well and I was thoroughly entertained.

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro Good job on what sounds like a difficult piece. Yes it needs longer to mature (it sounds really close) but for the most part it was played so beautifully I was captivated.

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114 I never got this one to sound any good when I attempted it but you just nailed it here. Very good.

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session After the third listen I really started to like this piece. Perhaps it needs a little more time but I really got in to it and enjoyed your playing very much.

35. Ganddal - Gratulation For someone who canít spell their name (lol) it doesnít make any difference to what is an expert performing. This is a real find I loved the bright happy feel of the main theme.

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie The sound of the clavinova is amazing I just love that steel guitar sound. I donít have any boogie within me but you obviously do, well done.

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair A sentimental favourite of mine from my Simon and Garfunkel days, just as they did this arrangement lifts it to a new level. As always your playing is immaculate, such a great touch which you make look easy.

38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino) I didnít hear any banging, thought you did a very nice job of the dynamics and balance. I think you imparted the wistful feel of the piece to the listener very well.

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue One day I hope to be worth of a Bach Fugue. You really soared in places here that I felt it a privilege to be able to listen.

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose I heard this a year ago for the first time and wrote on facebook at the time I had found the most beautiful piece I had ever heard. I tried to learn it but could not do it justice, if I could play it the way you can I would be a happy man.

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56 Interesting choice to play six pieces, some of us are struggling with one. Well done anyway, they were most enjoyable and I can hear why you have been smitten with Bartok.

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses) I will take your word for it there were mistakes, I only heard an amazing piece of work played beautifully. The piece itself has so much to offer which you delivered aplenty, graceful and expressive this was a thoughtful listening experience and welcome pleasure.

#2278254 - 05/19/14 06:32 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino) - Thanks for bringing this composer, new for me. As others works, this kind of piece are hard to play, mainly because of it type of softness and rhythm. Looking forward to listen all the "adventures". Good job.

01. dynamobt/Marilyn - Symphony No. 40 1st mvt - Wow, 11 minutes of great music. the only thing I missed was an orchestra playing with you. Very nice job!

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair - I was looking forward to listen this. My very first complete piano piece was "Scarborough Fair" arranged by Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, for piano and guitar. I had to cut out the guitar lines, but I did it with great dedication and detail to turn it in a piano solo arrangement. Now, your piece is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. I love the "little sounds" of the melody and I can see that your progress is remarkable. Thanks for sharing, congratulations!

20. Newbert - New York State of Mind - Newbert, I like the little embellishment you did. The whole work is real good, I can "listen" the sound of Billy Joel voice in this piece. I would add a few pedal in some sessions, but this is only my opinion. Good job.

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1 - Richard, I love Chopin and I love this waltz. So, I'm very happy to listen your piece. I think you did a remarkable job, and I recognize that it should not be easy to play it. "One day" I will play Chopin and your piece is a great incentive. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2278282 - 05/19/14 08:03 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session - I'm a self taught too, and we started "playing" in the same year (2009), so I'm in the best position to understand the dedication and tenacity involved to play any piece. On the other hand, we - self taught guys - are free to choose what to play, when and why, and that's the best part of being a self taught. About this piece: you didn't write too much about it, but I can see you worked hard to do this record. I know you did... Also, I would add some more "depth" in some sessions, but the choise is always yours. Good job!

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro - outo, although Iím not really into this style of composing I think you did a very nice job. I liked your interpretation. Congratulations.

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose - Cathy, I felt a "push" to dance in the first notes of your piece. Yes, it's true! What a funny piece. I dont't care about hesitations or errors, I care about the spirit of the piece. Well done!

30. PikaPianist - Sonata in F minor, K466 - Ah, Scarlatti. Do you know he was at the service of the Portuguese royal family in the 18th century? So, there is some tradition of his style in my country, and I always like to imagine him doing beautiful pieces, like this one, for royal members. As I can imagine you playing for them, too. Beautiful playing. Brilliant interpretation.

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures - Such great music, Russ. What I most admire is your ability to join so many different notes to produce a logical musical flow. It's amazing. Great job, as usual.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2278292 - 05/19/14 08:27 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

08. 8 Octaves - When River Flowed on Mars - I liked the way the melody was "growing" along the entire piece. You kept the right tempo and this short but beautiful melody was played very well. Congratulations.

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue - Bach is unique and although I'm not a great admirer of this style I think you did a very "solid" interpretation. Good flow along the entire piece. Congratulations.

02. Whizbang (Chris) - Milonga del Angel - I know Piazzolla mainly for their Tangos, but I didn't knew any piano work of him. So, this is a surprise for me. And Chris, you get all the Piazzolla spirit with this. Very, very good. I love it! Congratulations!

21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21 - MaryBee, how can someone learn this piece "fairly quickly"? I know the answer: only just with an huge ability to understand what Chopin wrote... and you did it. I love Chopin, I love this. Many, many thanks for sharing this. Wonderful job.

13. Riddler (Ed) - Love Walked In - Lovely piece Ed. I loved this Gershwin piece and your interpretation is realy good. Looking forward to listen more pieces from that book, OK? Good job!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2278314 - 05/19/14 09:39 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TheodorN]
newbert Offline

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
Originally Posted By: TheodorN
20. Newbert - New York State of Mind This one is among my favourites, great job with it. Just looking at the chord sequence of this song puts me in a New York State of Mind, so congrats on taking it on. I myself am practising And So It Goes, which is not as frightening, but challenging enough for me.

Thanks! I also considered "And So It Goes". I think the challenge with that song is to get it sounding non-repetitive, and to get the right feeling. Not hard to get the notes right, though.

I also like "Baby Grand" and was considering that instead of "NY State of Mind". Maybe next time....

#2278328 - 05/19/14 10:12 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida

19. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Fughetta
Sounds wonderful! You play very smoothly and with excellent independence between the hands. I have never tried to play a fugue - I'm too intimidated when I hear hands going their separate ways like that. Great job.

21. MaryBee - Nocturne in C minor, No. 21
Beautiful piece, great playing, very expressive. Those this-against-that rhythms would scare the living daylights out of me - I have enough trouble with 3 against 2 - but you played them masterfully. Well done! And thank your husband for us, please!

24. Mar_red - Love Story
I've always liked this song, used to play it on the Hammond organ, though not as well as you by a long shot. You have created a very full arrangement and played it very expressively. Lovely ending. Well done.

29. jotur/Cathy Turner - Second Hand Rose
Delightful! You play this with a light-hearted jaunty air that fits the tune perfectly. And btw, I notice you found the sheet music in a thrift store, which made me think - gee, if I threw out all the sheet music that I found in thrift stores and used book stores, I could rent out a couple of rooms in this house! Well,... slight exaggeration, but itís fun for me to find stuff like that. Anyway, another excellent performance from you.

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano
Sam, that shared smile at the end really said it all! Great job, great teamwork. I have never heard this piece before but I really liked it. The part where you are playing ascending arpeggios separated by some interval, while she plays the melody up higher, is especially delightful.

More later.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2278336 - 05/19/14 10:40 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

16. sinophilia (Diana) - In Church - Op. 39 no. 24 - Diana, what a nice surprise. I can imagine how hard is to play this, because there isn't a "guide" through the piece, I mean, there isn't a clear path behind it - usually made by the RH -, but you did an amazing job. Very, very good. Good tempo, magic pauses. Congratulations!

23. N17 - Dance in G - Wow, less than 6 months playing piano and you play Haydn like this?!?!? That's wonderful; a clever and clean work. Great performance. Congratulations.

27. (Was)TrueBeginner - Blame - What to say... I'm sorry to hear about your father. This is a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing.

15. peterws/peter - Gymnopedies 2 & 3 - Peter, I love this Gymnopedies. Introspective, so deep. I need to improve my playing to try to play at least one of them. But I know I have to work hard, and your pieces are a great incentive. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations.

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session - PPrimo1, you're a self taught like me. I know how hard is to be "alone" in this journey. But our dedication is rewarded when we can play a piece like you did this time. That's a good felling, isn't it? Good work, congratulations!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2278346 - 05/19/14 10:58 AM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56 - Andy, this is the first time I'm listening those Bartok dances. They are diferent from each other, and you did a very nice job, very soothing and enjoyable to listen to. Very, very good.

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano - Wow, wow, wow. Sam (and Laurie) this is w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l, I love it! This recitals are becoming a real show. Not only the music is great, but your playing is just, just fine. My sincere congratulations for you and Laurie. Thanks for your music!

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses) - Carlos, what an atmosphere. Wow. Very expressive playing and good control. Good job!

17. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Torna A Surriento - I can recognize this melody; now I know the name of it and the composer smile I think you did it justice. Lovely playing, very expressive. Congratulations.

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie - Of course you can play it at the recital, or wherever you want! It's more than ready! Good choice with the guitar voice. It works!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2278425 - 05/19/14 02:45 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
torquenale Online   content

Here is my second batch.

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose This is a quite famous piece of music; you play it nicely and with good expression. Very well done!

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue Maybe one day I'll be able to play a Bach's Fugue, but today I'm still so far! Your performance is even and in control of each voice. Bravo!

38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino) Nice piece, and you play it in an expressive and atmospheric way. thank for sharing!

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair A gorgeous arrangement of a piece I've always liked. As usual you play so well and the sound of your piano is superb!

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie I thought it was not the correct download, then I read your comment and understood. This is original and great fun!

35. Ganddal - Gratulation Thanks for sharing with a new (for me and maybe for most) composer. The piece is joyful and, as usual, very well played!

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session Another new piece for me; it's very nice and so is your playing!

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114 For me this Bach's Minuet in G (maybe from the Anna Magdalena Notebook, but I'm not sure) - is there a story to tell here? Anyway it's delightful and you play well. Pedal is not needed here, so good choice for that.

32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro Great piece and nice performance, with a good dose of ornamentation and wise choice of articulation. Bravo!

31. Sam S - Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden - Prelude and Summer - Clarinet and Piano This is a treat for our recital! The piece is great and you and your wife play really well two wonderful and difficult instruments. Thanks for sharing!

#2278427 - 05/19/14 02:47 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
torquenale Online   content

Ataru074, jotur, jazzwee, 8 Octaves, gingko2, SwissSM, Rerun, noobpianist90 and Sam S (I hope nobody has been forgotten): thanks a lot for listening and nicely commenting my submission!

#2278438 - 05/19/14 03:21 PM Re: Recital 34 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

21. MaryBee
piece: Chopin, Nocturne in C minor, No. 21
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: a good amount of white noise. No other noises this time smile
bass: the bass lacks a bit in this piano (it's not the Tascam DR-08 I suppose).
piano sound: The piano stays very smooth even if you hammer out a few notes that need it. Works great here.

musical:
overall impression, like: wonderful playing. Timing is good, dynamics fine, it sounds good. A good bass would make it sound even better and more relaxed in a few places but it's not a big issue. The section between 2:26 and 3:00 sounds a bit off to me, maybe it's too loud or too fast, I don't know.
Phrasing: fine
rubato, speed changes: yes, good timing, slowdowns and speed. Some of the weird rythms could flow a little better I think, the LH must keep flowing there (it can slow down but smoothly, and not each time)
Dynamics: yes nice.
articulation: lot of pedal, fine for this. A few places could use a bit less pedal, particularly in the beginning.

#2278462 - 05/19/14 04:29 PM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: AB Forum Recital]
piano_primo_1 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA
I was doing/completing
this while practicing for the recital . A couch made from pallets, and plywood it extends the wall, all portable and removable back rest
[b]This is music to me ...too[/b],
just ......a different kind
couch
and this before it was ,made ......eeeeeewwww
 (still needs padding even now..)
before
And this is where I kept  my digital .........before
I stuck it in my bedroom .

front window t

And a view from above window  with digi art done
 yesterday .
window
view

digi art
night

Edited by piano_primo_1 (05/19/14 04:34 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#2278478 - 05/19/14 04:56 PM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I like the digi art smile

Cathy

#2278506 - 05/19/14 05:48 PM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: AB Forum Recital]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
30 Pika pianist

Sounds a romantic piece, ahead of it`s time with expression you wouldn`t be able to milk with a harpsichord. You did a great job what with those trills and stuff. It drerves a bigger ending! Invent one!

32 SamS

That was super, Sam. Enjoyed this greatly; sounds darned difficult to put together. But since you`ve been married so long, you`ll each know what the other is gonna do . . . smile

33 Noob Pianist

Tuneful Bach, great trills and steady all the way. It`s onwards and upwards for you, man!

34 Piano Primo 1

Not a piece I know. You handled some awkward bits in there, nor is it a short length. A surprising ending, sounded good. Well done!

35 Ganddalf

Wow! Sad the composer wasn`t more widely known. He is good. This flowed like a mountain stream and was beautifully executed as we all expect from you.

36 Ohio Mark

You can certainly have fun on these ensemble pianos, and you are here, obviously. A decent boogie blues which can be added to your play list. Flows well from your Clav.

37 Monika K

I had the s/g version of this song. Went out with a lot o` other stuff during one of the wife`s blitzes (it`s carnage when she does this) but this arrangement was nice enough. Had some interesting features which tou played well on that piano of yours. And now you can get dressed . . . smile

38 Gingko 2

Unusual song, ever descending! Handles very well indeed; could be a TV score./ Great stuff!

39 Altaru 074

Relentless as Bach intended! And sounds so good on that piano . . .Nice work.

40 Copper

A piece I know well. You give it a lovely tranquility with that "feel good" factor which would have appealed to the Landed Gentry Drawing Room set of the day . . .and to so many of us now. A few hesitations will be ironed out in the fullness of time; it`s all there and very good.

Edited by peterws (05/19/14 05:48 PM)

""

#2278525 - 05/19/14 06:36 PM Re: Recital 34 what I did while practicing for the recital [Re: AB Forum Recital]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
32. outo - Fantasia no. 4 E-minor, Allegro
Nice piece and very solid performance! You play this very well.

33. noobpianist90 - Minuet in G major BWV Anh 114
Good job! This piece always brings back fond memories and I enjoyed your playing.

34. Piano_Primo_1 - "Back at One" 5 12 14 1 session
Good job. I'm not familiar with this piece but it sounds like you have it solidly in your fingers. I'm curious about the tempo, the score you linked has it at MM=144 (quarter note) but it also says "slowly" -- I don't think of anything above 120 as "slowly" but maybe that's just me! Anyway, is this your desired tempo? Because one thought I had, ganted not knowing the original, was that it might sound better a little faster. If that's something you're interested in doing, you clearly know the music well enough to try it. And if not, forget I brought it. smile

35. Ganddal - Gratulation
Ganddal, what does "Gratulation" mean? I haven't heard of this composer, so thank you for introducing him. I really enjoyed your playing and this piece, it has a light and happy feel to it. It certainly doesn't sound like easy music, but you make it sound like it's easy for you. Also, I noticed you're playing an N1, it sounds great! Do you like it? My dream is an acoustic, but depending on where we end up, I may consider one of the AvantGrands for my next piano.

36. Ohio_Mark - Beach Buggy Boogie
Good job. Interesting combination of sounds. Are you able to play LH and RH simultaneously with separate voices?

37. Monica K. - Scarborough Fair
I love DN's arrangement of this, and your playing is fantastic!! Your piano sounds great too. Also your pedal-less section was perfect, so although you might have felt naked, the music you produced was anything but.

38. gingko2 - Ivan Sings (Andantino)
I did not hear any banging, only beautiful music. I don't know this piece, but it's lovely and you play it very well.

39. Ataru074 - BWV 866 Fugue Nice. I have never played a fugue (only Inventions) but I love listening to them. You're playing is quite nice and a joy to listen to. What is "ORTF" setp (your mic)? Whatever it is, your recording is also really great.

40. Copper - To a Wild Rose
Beautiful playing! I could get lost in this recording, which to me means that you got it just right. Great job.

41. Andy Platt - Romanian Folk Dances, Sz. 56
I don't know this music, but it's very compelling. Dynamics are always challenging for me, my teacher will say "I can tell your doing a little dynamic shading, but you need to do a LOT more if you want anyone else to notice it" frown
BTW I think I like the third one best, well and the last one too, but I think they're all great and work well together. Great job!

42. carlos88 - From a sketchbook (D'un cahier d'esquisses)
Very nice playing! I think my image of Debussy is about the same as yours, lots of moonlight shimmering on water, your playing captured that very well.

43. Jazztpt (Russ) - Pictures Beautiful composition, thank you for sharing it with us! (Also your piano/recording sounds really great, it has a nice depth to it). I'm not sure part you had banana-fingers, but it all sounded great to me. It does sound quite tricky though, so I can imagine even though it's your own composition, you'd need a bit of work to keep it in your fingers. And think this recording shows that you have it there really nicely.

44. wimpiano - Telemann - Fantasia in E Minor
Congratulations on a successful first recital!! You playing sounds great. You're doing really well, you should be very proud.

45. torquenale (alessandra) - Dance (from Four Rondos op. 60)
I am not familiar with this piece, but it's really fun, I enjoyed your playing.

46. rerun - Tipitina 5 14 14 I think it sounds great, I'm glad you decided to submit this. I don't know the original, but your playing has a nice forward motion to it.

47. TrapperJohn - Ashokan Farewell
I actually don't know this piece, although I feel like I've seen the title a lot. I enjoyed your performance, I think you have captured the waltz+Scottish lament feel very nicely.

48. Richard (zrtf90) - Waltz in D flat, Op. 64 No. 1
Lovely! I like the pulse you have going and how you breathe into the melody. This recital is really making me want to take on some Chopin and you're not helping! wink At least I know where to go for advice if I need it. Thanks for sharing this recording with us.

49. Pathbreaker (Tarik) - Op. 118 Intermezzo 1 & 2
It sounds like "welcome back" is in order! I'm glad you have come back to the piano and PW. They both sound geat, but I found the 2nd one really moving, you play it beautfully. I really enjoyed your recording and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you next time.

50. Valencia - Sonata Op. 109 3rd mvt -Theme only!!
Beautiful! Your playing is very lovely. I'm very glad you decided to submit this, it is a wonderful and fitting end to a fantastic recital.

Everyone who submitted Congratulations! I enjoyed this recital very much, and the variety of music was just delightful! I am inspired to take on some new challenges in my own playing. Thank you everyone who shared your music here!

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
Today at 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
Today at 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
Today at 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
Today at 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
Today at 11:35 AM
Who's Online
135 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, 32 invisible), 1548 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318825 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission